Are You A Patriotic Person?

Goro

Are You A Patriotic Person?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Are You A Patriotic Person?

I'm not proud of my country (one the richest countries in the world, but still uses money on wrong things and won't get shit done -_-, there's a lot of mean people too), but I'm a tad proud of my county (the government use my county just because we've found a lot of oil and takes the honor themselves -_-).

Edited by LCDR_McGarrett

Patriotism as a concept only really has traction in parts of the former British Empire and in France. Everywhere else, it comes out only when it's World Cup and Olympics time, then the goofy facepaint and flag-themed clothing makes an appearance. Which is amusing, because it sends the message that the only thing they've accomplished as a culture that is worth celebrating is their sports teams. :P

That's interesting because I don't see the French parading around with two French flags on their pickup truck on Veterans day. United States even has parking spaces next to the disabled for its veterans. Seems pretty patriotic to me from my British point of view

• Like 2

I dont see a connection between that. When you would be born in a thirdworld country instead, would you be proud about that? I bet you would want to move to an other country. Oh and, all that people fleeing to Europe because the terrorismshit in their homecountries should stay there and die in proudness because everything else would be a lie, or what? :facepalm:

Just because you have to leave your country due to the acts of a few doesn't mean you can't be proud of your heritage. I know people from war-torn countries who are patriots and live for their country.

• Like 2

Who wouldn't be patriotic about a country with the highest number of prisoners per capita, minimum wage below a living wage, and spending more money on the military than the next 7 highest paying countries combined while they fall lower in education and healthcare?

I Think North Korea spends even more O.o

I Think North Korea spends even more O.o

Hard to tell, as always. Because different sources provide different data.

But, mind the gap! :awesome:

(numbers in billion us$ pa)

1. USA 618.7-711

2. China 143

3. Russia 71.9

4. UK 62.7

5. France 62.5

6. Japan 59.3

7. Saudi Arabia 48.5

8. India 46.8

9. Germany 46.7

10. Brazil 35.4

Active soldiers

1. China 2.285.000

2. USA 1.431.000

3. India 1.325.000

4. North Korea 1.190.000

5. Russia 768.500

6. Pakistan 630.400

7. South Korea 630.000

8. Iran 534.000

9. Turkey 510.600

10. Vietnam 482.000

Who said North Korea would pay well? Maybe they just force the people to it. We dont know.

I would be interested in the budget and size of the IS-terrorists.

Imagine how the world would be, when all of that money would go into education instead. =D

1. USA 618.7-711

2. China 143

3. Russia 71.9

4. UK 62.7

5. France 62.5

6. Japan 59.3

7. Saudi Arabia 48.5

8. India 46.8

9. Germany 46.7

10. Brazil 35.4

Active soldiers

1. China 2.285.000

2. USA 1.431.000

3. India 1.325.000

4. North Korea 1.190.000

5. Russia 768.500

6. Pakistan 630.400

7. South Korea 630.000

8. Iran 534.000

9. Turkey 510.600

10. Vietnam 482.000

Who said North Korea would pay well? Maybe they just force the people to it. We dont know.

Imagine how the world would be, when all of that money would go into education instead. =D

Well main reason that the US military budget is so high is because of the politicians saying that the military needs more money so that they can take it because most of the politicians are greedy

Edited by WulfPack3

1. USA 618.7-711

2. China 143

3. Russia 71.9

4. UK 62.7

5. France 62.5

6. Japan 59.3

7. Saudi Arabia 48.5

8. India 46.8

9. Germany 46.7

10. Brazil 35.4

Active soldiers

1. China 2.285.000

2. USA 1.431.000

3. India 1.325.000

4. North Korea 1.190.000

5. Russia 768.500

6. Pakistan 630.400

7. South Korea 630.000

8. Iran 534.000

9. Turkey 510.600

10. Vietnam 482.000

Northa Korea has a mandatory draft. A third of their national income is spent on their military

I'm proud of my Native American heritage and of the general ideas held by the founding fathers (except for that whole killing off my ancestors part). I am not proud of the United States in general. We aren't a democracy, we're bullies for the most part, and Deez Nutz have 9% of the polling data for the next President of the United States of America.

Edited by Bucknerd

I am not.

I live in a wonderful place honestly.  I was lucky enough to be conceived in a place nicer than most.  I think some people forget that there's a whole world out there where it could be and is sometimes a lot worse.

When I look into anything political or patriotic from my home country though, it kind of makes me sick.  Some of it is kind of a joke to me.  I can't put my faith in my country as a whole, but I can be grateful for what it does offer me.  I wish I could be proud of my "home team" but it already puffs itself up way way too much.  It doesn't need me cheer-leading it.

Sometimes I do wish I lived someplace...... simpler, ya know?

• Like 1

No, I am not patriotic

While I do like canada, what was canada at least (since it's crashing economically), also the fact that i'm only 45% canadian (still the majority nationallity), I honestly would gladly leave this country untill it fixes itself.

So, to repeat my starting point,

No, I am not patriotic

I am not.

I live in a wonderful place honestly.  I was lucky enough to be conceived in a place nicer than most.  I think some people forget that there's a whole world out there where it could be and is sometimes a lot worse.

When I look into anything political or patriotic from my home country though, it kind of makes me sick.  Some of it is kind of a joke to me.  I can't put my faith in my country as a whole, but I can be grateful for what it does offer me.  I wish I could be proud of my "home team" but it already puffs itself up way way too much.  It doesn't need me cheer-leading it.

Sometimes I do wish I lived someplace...... simpler, ya know?

I don't think "patriotism" needs to mean loving everything your country does/had done.  Maybe look at it this way, which sounds better to you... would you want to see your country right it's ways if it could or (lets say hypothetically this could happen without all of the work and time moving/assimilating/going through the system) would you rather just live somewhere else?

On topic though: I wouldn't call myself a patriotic person.  There are a lot of things wrong with the United States, and I think we're well beyond the point of some presidential figurehead coming in and fixing it (if our politicians cared enough to try in the first place)... no less some insignificant cog like myself really being able to make a difference.  And living as close as I do to the Canadian border, as much of a razzing as I give them ( xD), a little thought goes through my head from time to time of what would go into getting a Canadian citizenship exactly.  Maybe that's me taking the whole thing a bit too lightly, but eh.

Not to say I don't like the US.  My grandparents came over here from Germany to escape the war.  They set up a life here, and this country has given me so many advantages.  Even through all the horseshit, it really is a land of opportunity if you want it bad enough and work hard enough.

I just don't have any vested interest in staying here particularly.  I don't have red, white and blue coursing through my veins lol.  I can picture myself living comfortably elsewhere.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

Yes! I do love the Netherlands with all my heart and I'm proud to be a Dutchman. Of course you are forced upon being a certain nationality, but still it is my home and I love the people and the mentality. I sometimes think about living somewhere else, but I think I got all I need right here, provided by my country.

Go Neds!  :lol: