Final Fantasy VII Remake: Are You Hyped?

PaulKnightZexx

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Are You Hyped?

No². How could I be hyped of a game that was originally released 18 years ago? How could I be hyped of a remake of an 18 year old game that hasn't even a release window?  :blink: Final Fantasy VII is perhaps the most overrated game in video game history. It's a decent RPG classic, but nothing more.

Edited by Me Exploding Pancake

Yes I am, I'm also sure it would not be as good as the original because classics are called like that for a reason.

I'm looking forward to a lot of stupid funny moments from the game on full HD like the crossdressing Cloud, the Shinra Parade, the silly dolphin mini game,(not) and the Gold Saucer theatrical play with Aeris (Aerith w/e)

I hope that this game (if it ever gets released) becomes the milestone to encourage other companies to remake their own IP's Hits.

If remaking the whole series is "crazy" like you said then they shouldn't even bother then which is what I said. Either do them all or none at all.

Either show love to the whole series by remaking all of them, don't bother remaking them, cancel FFVII and focus on the future or have one title devour everything and have the series die with it.

And I DO care about FFVII but I also care about other games in the series unlike the majority and the fact that this one title is getting all this love but all the other games in the series are being abandoned to do so is terrible.

Last, don't call people "crazy" unless you want to be ignored. :rolleyes::facepalm:

You obviously have no idea how making video games work.  A remake of this scale would take an entire team (hundreds of people) working solely on one game a couple years to pull off (a little less, if they cheap out).  So saying 'remake them all' means it'd be at least 20 years before they'd all be done, with nothing else accomplished by that team during that time frame.

And 'only fair', wow, yes you are crazy.  They aren't remaking FF VII cause they thought it'd be a nice gesture, it's the best selling FF game of all time and remaking it equals a shit ton of money.  Even with that said, it still is gonna take them 20 years minimum from initial release to remake release.  At that rate my grandchildren's grandchildren would be dead before they finished remaking the other entries.  But that's beside the point as there's not a single FF entry other than VII that warrants a remake based simply on the numbers.  Millions of people have been begging for a VII remake since PS2 came out, and I've never heard anything other than passing admiration for the other entries.  The next best selling entry before VII was III and it sold less than a third of the copies that VII sold.  Yeah, they could remake VIII and IX, but those sold as well as they did mainly because of VII's fame, the support for them isn't there, so no one's going to remake them.

And there's always going to be some people who prefer other games or other entries in the series, but just cause you like it doesn't mean shit to the devs who are putting millions of dollars and thousands of man hours into remaking a game.  They want it to be successful, they don't care about your feelings or what's 'fair'.  And to say a VII remake will kill the series is ridiculous.  If anything, a remake will bring in lots of new gamers whose interest in the series will carry on to future entries, just like so many did in the late 90s and early 2000s after playing VII as their first experience with the series.  If anything, the majority of lackluster titles since VII is what's killing the series.  The newer games are unoriginal and too often I see people get bored and stop playing rather quickly.  Friends at work played XIV for a couple weeks before moving on to something else.  It doesn't bode well for the future of your flagship series when the latest installments can't captivate people for more than a month, especially considering it's an MMO.  Just look at this site, FF X HD has 50% more owners than FF XIV.  That speaks volumes to what people think of the newer games.  I guarantee you FF VII, once released, will rival the current 'most popular games' leaders on this site that have 3/4 of a million owners.  And I wouldn't be surprised if the FF VII remake sold 20-25 million copies (or more) seeing as unlike the original, it will only be a timed Playstation exclusive and is already listed for Xbox One pre-order on some sites.  I imagine it will also come to PC, and in time maybe elsewhere (Vita?  WiiU?  Maybe not... lol).  Either way, there's no other FF entry, remake or otherwise, that will come close to those sales figures probably ever, and if one does, it's going to be directly correlated to the success of the FF VII remake pushing the brand.

On topic, I'm both excited and scared to see what they do with the remake.  Part of me wants the exact same game with better graphics, and part of me wants to see if they can pull off a new vision of FF VII, complete with VO and a more intuitive battle system, but I'm sure if they do that they'd find a way to massively fuck it up.... only time will tell.

With a lot of information that has been released, I've unfortunately become less and less excited about this remake. :( I rather not think about it anymore, so no, I'm not very excited.

Never played it before, so it's nice to finally get to play it when it comes out. Hyped? Not really, just glad to finally play it.

Yeah, well, it won't be the same game. The HD remaster AKA the PC port coming out for PS4 soon is what you should try if you want to play the old game. It will of course have trophies.

Edited by MMDE

Oh hell NO.

I'm tired of seeing SE clinging only to this particuliar entry in the franchise and I don't need even MORE FFVII in my life.

They are acting like except VII, VIII, X and XIII, there is no other FF games, and it pisses me off to no end. 

This is also one of the reasons why I dislike Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy and Disney crossover? More like "Two most hyped Final Fantasy games and Disney crossover". Dissidia does the better job than KH at highligting vast FF cast and doesn't act like aside from VII / VIII roster (and few not nearly as important appearances from X and XII) none of the characters matter.

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hell NO.

I'm tired of seeing SE clinging only to this particuliar entry in the franchise and I don't need even MORE FFVII in my life.

They are acting like except VII, VIII, X and XIII, there is no other FF games, and it pisses me off to no end. 

This is also one of the reasons why I dislike Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy and Disney crossover? More like "Two most hyped Final Fantasy games and Disney crossover". Dissidia does the better job than KH at highligting vast FF cast and doesn't act like aside from VII / VIII roster (and few not nearly as important appearances from X and XII) none of the characters matter.

This is not Square Enix's fault in the slightest.  You have to remember that as a company, they have to cater to their customers.  It is their customers that have made these games in such high demand, and made them overshadow the others.  You don't hear nearly the same number of people want VIII to be remade, or begging for XII with trophies.  Sure, they exist, but they are dramatically dwarfed by those who want VII, or X.  Also, if you were to ask any Final Fantasy fan what they favourite Final Fantasy is, I would be willing to bet that 85% or more would tell you it was either VI, VII, or X.  So to the vast majority of fans, those may as well be the only FF games.  XIII made 2 sequels because it sold well, and many people actually liked Lightning.

As for you bringing up KH, it has the most popular FF characters in it, but you are right, it doesn't have all of them.  I am not sure that in itself is a bad thing?  It is still a crossover, most crossovers are pieces of multiple wholes and they don't include everything from each bit they come from.

This is not Square Enix's fault in the slightest.  You have to remember that as a company, they have to cater to their customers.  It is their customers that have made these games in such high demand, and made them overshadow the others.  You don't hear nearly the same number of people want VIII to be remade, or begging for XII with trophies.  Sure, they exist, but they are dramatically dwarfed by those who want VII, or X.  Also, if you were to ask any Final Fantasy fan what they favourite Final Fantasy is, I would be willing to bet that 85% or more would tell you it was either VI, VII, or X.  So to the vast majority of fans, those may as well be the only FF games.  XIII made 2 sequels because it sold well, and many people actually liked Lightning.

As for you bringing up KH, it has the most popular FF characters in it, but you are right, it doesn't have all of them.  I am not sure that in itself is a bad thing?  It is still a crossover, most crossovers are pieces of multiple wholes and they don't include everything from each bit they come from.

While this is true (and obvious), one problem I have with Square is that they mistake fanboy rumblings on the net for the will of their overall customer base (which is why they've seen sales of their products plummet over time). Just because you don't hear some of these things on the internet (which is a minority of Square's hoped-for fanbase) doesn't mean that the demand isn't there.

Yes I'm looking forward to this, I realize it's still "cool" to dislike good things, but no-one can deny that 7 in itself introduced crap loads of people to Jrpg's back in the day through the story and game play. I won't ever forget this game and that time, even though I was already quite in depth with japanese gaming, the appeal of ff7 was infectious.

Don't hate me for saying this 

i will be more hyped if it Plays like 15 does since that game looks like it will be a blast 

i don't care if its true hardcore turn base since i never really liked that style of gameplay 

Im a fan of Xenoblade type games i don't play many Rpgs so i'm probs a noob

but if the story is as good as people say it is i can power through it 

so i'm kinda hyped to see what happens 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When it was first announced, I was concerned and hoped that it would stay true to the original. I didn't really want SE to change anything about it, just give it an updated look and sound. From the new trailer, however, it is obvious that there are going to be changes made to the style and gameplay of the game.

That being said, I think it looks awesome so far. I'm not sure if I will like the different battle system (that seems to be in the new trailer) over the traditional turn based, but I am not too worried. As long as they keep the general story, characters and theme the same, I think it will be an amazing game. Let's hope so anyway!

I think the best way to look at it is not as an update of the original, but a brand new game. If you don't like it, it's not a big deal. You can always go back and play the original we all know and love.

I think the best way to look at it is not as an update of the original, but a brand new game. If you don't like it, it's not a big deal. You can always go back and play the original we all know and love.

I like this view point. With the port of FFVII just being released I feel I have a fall back option if the remake lets me down. It looks amazing but I'm not looking forward to combat system changes. I liked it just the way it was. 

• Like 1