Project Platinum: General info and leaderboard

xZoneHunter

On 29/07/2017 at 8:23 AM, LeetWolf2 said:

IThreads Requiring Updates Since 2016, By Date* (Total: 25):

*This is a list of the last posts by PP thread creators in their own threads (2016), threads with users awaiting updates to the Hall of Fame.

Reveal hidden contents

Feb   2 2016 - Star Wars, Boooda

Feb 11 2016 - Batman: Arkham, TheLastSurvivorD

Mar 31 2016 - Zombies, HcG Clawz

Apr 21 2016 - No Refunds!, Happy

Apr 25 2016 - Compile Heart, HcG Clawz

May 5 2016 - Harry Potter, HcG Clawz

Jul 19 2016 - Aircraft, Zach

Aug 16 2016 - Yuri, Neku-tan

Aug 31 2016 - Worms, dell9300

Sep 21 2016 - Devil May Cry,  A-Brawl3r

Sep 23 2016 - Arc Sys Fighters, Neku-tan

Oct   7 2016 - Key VN, Shana Alter

Oct 11 2016 - ShipScrollers, zajac9999

Oct 12 2016 - Prince of Persia, dell9300

Oct 29 2016 - Grand Theft Auto, Gibbo_0113

Oct 30 2016 - 5pb.'s Science Adventure Series, Shana Alter

Oct 30 2016 - Baka Hentai!, Shana Alter

Oct 30 2016 - Blazblue, Shana Alter

Oct 30 2016 - Dengeki Bunko, Shana Alter

Nov  3 2016 - Idol, Neku-tan

Nov 18 2016 - Sniper, Zach

Dec 15 2016 - Uncharted, Gibbo_0113

Dec 17 2016 - LittleBigPlanet, Kashima

Dec 20 2016 - Wasteland, Doctor Doom

Dec 30 2016 - Rally, HcG Clawz

Yeah i dont think so mate. My threads have never been behind by more than a month at a time. I dont do the normal posts saying "everyone is up to date" as i feel that is a waste of a post. If any request to join the hall of fame gets a like by me then that means they have been updated.

Edited by Gibbo_0113
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Yeah i dont think so mate. My threads have never been behind by more than a month at a time. I don't do the normal posts saying "everyone is up to date" as i feel that is a waste of a post. If any request to join the hall of fame gets a like by me then that means they have been updated.

Yeah, that's not something good to claim. It'd be ideal if they were updated weekly, rather than having people wait more than a month.

25 minutes ago, LeetWolf2 said:

Yeah, that's not something good to claim. It'd be ideal if they were updated weekly, rather than having people wait more than a month.

Waiting a month for what? To be added to a list?

I mean once they said they wanted sign up they will be added to the list. There's nothing stopping them from playing more games in that PP, using the emblems they've earned or talking about the games in that thread.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, soultaker655 said:

With people trying to bring PP back or whatever I feel that I need to break my silence about the true problem PP had and why it died. And no it was not Leaderboard.

The true reason PP died was because like 90% of the people who joined a PP never did anything besides joining the PP.

No one ever talked about how they liked or hated the games while playing or try to help others plat the games or anything like that. 

All most people did was say add me to the list and update me on the list.

So of course PP died, it was never a community or a group, it was just a list.

The original reason PP existed was to get people to play and finish games in a series, while also talking about the good and bad things about the games, but as it grew it just became a checklist. Because of this, all the admins had to do was update the list, but since 90% of the people who joined never even tried to go up in rank and never did anything in the thread, the admins had nothing to do for months on end.

What's the point of weekly updates if no one who joined the PP does anything for 3-4 months. Like I said earlier once someone says they want to join, they will be added to the list. There's nothing stopping them from playing more games in that PP, using the emblems they've earned or talking about the games in that thread.

But if no one does any of that, how can you turn around and blame the admins for let PP fall to the wayside when no one else does anything.

While this is definitely a great point a probably one of the more important reasons, I would still bet my money on the leaderboard. 

If we weren't competitive at heart, we wouldn't be trophy hunters. Without leaderboard, there's no longer the feeling of competition, the feeling of rising up the rank.

Sure, it still has the feeling of accomplishment when you finish a PP due to finishing something big but overall, that's your personal satisfaction only.

However, with leaderboard, it would be +12 points and probably a big jump up which would motivate surrounding players to get more points to keep their position.

And this would keep on happening which in turn would keep the PPs alive.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

While this is definitely a great point a probably one of the more important reasons, I would still bet my money on the leaderboard. 

If we weren't competitive at heart, we wouldn't be trophy hunters. Without leaderboard, there's no longer the feeling of competition, the feeling of rising up the rank.

Sure, it still has the feeling of accomplishment when you finish a PP due to finishing something big but overall, that's your personal satisfaction only.

However, with leaderboard, it would be +12 points and probably a big jump up which would motivate surrounding players to get more points to keep their position.

And this would keep on happening which in turn would keep the PPs alive.

I agree. While @soultaker655 has a point about the majority joining and hardly playing any of the games to rank up, the leaderboard definitely was the turning point. 

• Like 1

@Satoshi Ookami While I understand why for some the leaderboard was a big deal, if it really mattered then the current leaderboard would still work just fine. The current leaderboard can be edited by anyone and any PP participant could easily count their own scores and update their place on the leaderboard. The fact is only a few really cared about the leaderboard (that other 10%), ln fact I'm pretty sure the top 20 participant on the old leaderboard stayed the same for a long time and while there was some competition between 4th-10th place, because most never tried to raise their ranks in the PPs they joined, the whole spirit of competition became a moot point for most participants.

@soultaker655 I agree on what you're saying and I did actually already mention this problem in one of my previous comments;

On 09/08/2017 at 7:43 PM, LeetWolf2 said:

I think the solution would be to focus on quality over quantity. Limiting the amount of threads each owner will manage, ensuring anyone who signs up actually intends on playing the games by limiting the amount of bonus awards each thread has. Also, I think that the black "hidden/participation" award should require at least a single trophy be earned in a game included in the PP. Lots of people would just sign up and then never actually play any of the games.

But the leaderboard dying was one of the biggest issues too. It's what was personally driving me to slowly work my through the games in PP threads. The spoiler in my signature shows how many PP threads I got a platinum in and ones I was working on up until recently.

@xZoneHunter 

Would you be open to the idea of changing some of the rule in PP?

Like instead of 4-5 ranks just have 3 (black, gold, plat) black is for those who have plated less than half of the series, gold for those who plat half or more of the series, and plat her those who have plat all of the games in the series? With 0 points for black,1 for gold, and 5 for plat. Then put up the old 2.0 leaderboard but clean it out., then the admin's can update the leaderboard with the new ranks.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LeetWolf2 said:

@soultaker655 I agree on what you're saying and I did actually already mention this problem in one of my previous comments;

You screwed up the 'while' set of posts :awesome: 

4 hours ago, LeetWolf2 said:

But the leaderboard dying was one of the biggest issues too. It's what was personally driving me to slowly work my through the games in PP threads. The spoiler in my signature shows how many PP threads I got a platinum in and ones I was working on up until recently.

Also this. Many people did the same but eventually, due to joining so many PPs and changing ranks every so often, it was incredibly tough to keep doing it. That also kills the motivation xD

I have a request. Can I get following images posted below in a square tile please?

Black:

Spoiler

RE:                                                                    Vocaloid:

c6b1a745967315dfc8e2a52c55b1d342.png?v=5                     thumb-1920-569355.png

Bronze:

Spoiler

7f343e11826b886afb550688cf55290815028107just that square image will do

Silver:

Spoiler

c6403e0f44064cb8bdfd260cdc238c9115028107just that square image will do

Gold:

Spoiler

Lqq65Tq.pngjust Rin holding Cat Ears will do, I had a better pic but I can`t find it anywhere on my PC(It`s so full that I can`t see a damn pic)

Platinum:

Spoiler

Rolling-Girl-hatsune-miku-rolling-girl-2just the Face will do

by way I prefer the Black to Platinum rank rule as the awards are my motivation to do PPs.

From reading the thread, what I'm seeing is that everyone is trying to shift it onto one aspect when the truth is that everything listed is a contributing factor to the decline of Project Platinum. Yes, the leaderboards are important. Yes, updating the treads is important. Yes, discussion in the threads is important.  To say just one of these things led to the lack of interest really doesn't seem to be helping anything.

I do like the idea of less bonus ranks and less ranks, but I'd suggest making the less than half rank be silver instead.

19 hours ago, soultaker655 said:

@xZoneHunter 

Would you be open to the idea of changing some of the rule in PP?

Like instead of 4-5 ranks just have 3 (black, gold, plat) black is for those who have plated less than half of the series, gold for those who plat half or more of the series, and plat her those who have plat all of the games in the series? With 0 points for black,1 for gold, and 5 for plat. Then put up the old 2.0 leaderboard but clean it out., then the admin's can update the leaderboard with the new ranks.

I could put it in the rules, but i don't think anyone will follow it :P 

Either way i don't really see how that solves PP's problems. I don't see myself going back to the 2.0 leaderboard. I still have the data in case someone is brave enough to create a new leaderboard.

44 minutes ago, xZoneHunter said:

Either way i don't really see how that solves PP's problems. I don't see myself going back to the 2.0 leaderboard. I still have the data in case someone is brave enough to create a new leaderboard.

In terms of making the leaderboard run better, should not cutting the number of inputs per individual leaderboard in half make it easier for the main leaderboard to load up and calculate everyone's score. Also since most current bronze and silver ranks would be off of the leaderboard there will be less data that the leaderboard has to deal with.

Also with a new scoring system most people's leaderboard ranks wouldn't change that much.

But once again this is just me thinking of ways to help fix \ refresh PP without just tearing everything down and starting over.

14 minutes ago, soultaker655 said:

In terms of making the leaderboard run better, should not cutting the number of inputs per individual leaderboard in half make it easier for the main leaderboard to load up and calculate everyone's score. Also since most current bronze and silver ranks would be off of the leaderboard there will be less data that the leaderboard has to deal with.

Also with a new scoring system most people's leaderboard ranks wouldn't change that much.

But once again this is just me thinking of ways to help fix \ refresh PP without just tearing everything down and starting over.

It wouldn't solve the problem. Google sheets should have no problems with handling the amount of data i'm running through it. The main problem imo, is the code running the whole thing. It's really fidgety and does not work half of the time. Also, for some reason the code re-calculates everything the moment you open the sheet which causes the long loading times. I got the code from someone on PSNP but when i told him about the problems he didn't respond to me (although this was a while ago) 

I'm pretty sure that if someone could write a few lines of good code or we set the sheet up using the regular excel functions it'll work a lot faster.

But by all means if you or @LeetWolf2 want to work on something new, i'll do my best to help. At this point i'm open to anything.

Edited by xZoneHunter

9 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

I'm pretty sure that if someone could write a few lines of good code or we set the sheet up using the regular excel functions it'll work a lot faster.

I'm not exactly used to web based programming, but I am a programmer. Mind sending me the code (PM)? I could take a look at it and maybe improve it. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

26 minutes ago, viech54 said:

I'm not exactly used to web based programming, but I am a programmer. Mind sending me the code (PM)? I could take a look at it and maybe improve it. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

Unless you have experience with Excel coding, the code may not be meaningful... :/

Afaik, Google API doesn't use pure Javascript or Angular but their own framework.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

22 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Unless you have experience with Excel coding, the code may not be meaningful... :/

Afaik, Google API doesn't use pure Javascript or Angular but their own framework.

I know my way around Excel, so there's that. I'll have to take a look at the rest before saying anything else.

15 hours ago, Leon Castle said:

I have a request. Can I get following images posted below in a square tile please?

Black:

Hide contents

RE:                                                                    Vocaloid:

c6b1a745967315dfc8e2a52c55b1d342.png?v=5                     thumb-1920-569355.png

Bronze:

Hide contents

7f343e11826b886afb550688cf55290815028107just that square image will do

Silver:

Hide contents

c6403e0f44064cb8bdfd260cdc238c9115028107just that square image will do

Gold:

Hide contents

Lqq65Tq.pngjust Rin holding Cat Ears will do, I had a better pic but I can`t find it anywhere on my PC(It`s so full that I can`t see a damn pic)

Platinum:

Hide contents

Rolling-Girl-hatsune-miku-rolling-girl-2just the Face will do

by way I prefer the Black to Platinum rank rule as the awards are my motivation to do PPs.

Here you go:

JhxTeVS.png xl7sD8X.png yRQrVC2.png j5QJZFm.png lLJvnc4.png h52F4XS.png

12 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

If it's up to voting, I prefer the Black, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum emblems myself. 

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

If it is up to voting, the question to be asked should be "Are you interested in said proposal" (and proceed further discussions from there) rather than "This or that", if that makes sense. A rule should not change on the whim of hasteful thinking, which the latter is.

I too prefer the Black, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum emblems, as I feel the player has more sense of progression through the ranks with the more plats they achieve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Here you go:

JhxTeVS.png xl7sD8X.png yRQrVC2.png j5QJZFm.png lLJvnc4.png h52F4XS.png

Thank You :D

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

If it's up to voting, I prefer the Black, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum emblems myself.

2 hours ago, SkyesUnholy said:

I too prefer the Black, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum emblems, as I feel the player has more sense of progression through the ranks with the more plats they achieve.

Yay! I`am not the only one that prefer the Black, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum emblems :highfive:

3 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

2 hours ago, SkyesUnholy said:

30 minutes ago, Leon Castle said:

Yay! I`am not the only one that prefer the Black, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum emblems :highfive:

Same goes for me.

Sorry if it when I'm about to say sounds harsh or whatever but I guess I feel like I need to express my opinions on PP and what I would do to change it.

Before anything else though, I will say that regardless if PP changes or stays the same I feel it will always die out due to the general lack of effort on everyone who's involved in PP part, from the admins to the participants.

I mean A lot of people are saying the leaderboard disappearing was a big factor for them, when the fact is the leaderboard didn't disappear, it's just that the automated leaderboard disappeared. The 3.0 leaderboard could work just fine. All people should do is count their own scores and put them up. If people really cared about the competitive spirit and stuff like then they wouldn't cheat or anything like that.

But outside of 10 people no one cares about leaderboard because they haven't put their old 2.1 scores in the 3.0 leaderboard.

Saying that PP died because the leaderboard disappeared when people didn’t even put the effort in to try to use the 3.0 leaderboard shows that most didn't even care about the leaderboard unless it was done for them. Which shows a lack of effort and how little most of the participants cared about the leaderboard. Only 3 people out of the original top 10 have even tried to use the 3.0 leaderboard and most of the admins (all of which know how the leaderboard works) are not in the 3.0 leaderboard.

With that out of the way, I will say how I would change PP to try and refresh it:

1. The rule which says a PP needs at least five games would be changed to 4. This would allow certain series that have been stuck in the 4-game limbo for a while to just have a PP by themselves.
  2. I would change the scoring system from a 4-point scoring system to a two-point scoring system. This is mainly due to change number 1, because if certain PP’s only have four games that you needed to plat in order to get 12 leaderboard points, deep down this would cause some frustration to some people because it would seem like people are gaming the leaderboard by focusing on PP with a low amount of games. With the scoring system, I talked about in an earlier post it would cut out the chances of that a little and stop certain scores from being completely out of control.
  3. Any series that's in a mixed bag that has more than four games would be separated into its own PP that is run by the admin of the mixed bag unless they pass it on to someone else. While this may upset some of the admins, having certain PPs just really huge due to full series just sitting in there, kind of ruins the whole leaderboard thing and only leads to people losing interest in that PP.
  4. A Rule where people would have to show interest in the PP they are in stay in the hall of fame or leaderboard. This would be by either continuing to rank up or by posting your thoughts on each game as you finish them or by simply checking in and saying hey I'm still interested in this I just been playing other games. I know that rule seem kind of mean or unnecessary because it would just be used to exclude people, but the fact is, if people don't really have interest in the series and are just looking to be to use PP as a checklist or whatever they're not really adding to the Group or Community of PP. Nothing would stop them from using the emblems they earned they just wouldn’t be in the hall of fame or leaderboard. How long is to long without saying anything would be up to the admin of the PP they joined and of course if they are plat rank they don’t really have to say much since they are done.
  5. No stacks would be needed for normal plat rank, but could be used for super plat rank.
  6. I would get rid of the genre and company rule. Because PPs like the metroidvania are good PPs that people seem to enjoy and certain games really should just be with the other games from the company that made them like the Telltale games. That doesn't mean there should be stuff like a Blizzard PP or Activation TP, but certain games just fit better with the other games from their company or genre.

These are just the ideas I have that could refresh PP, doesn't mean they should be used and it doesn't mean they can't be used. But regardless of what changes are made, without effort from all participants of the pp community, PP will just slowly die off. Because like I said in an earlier post, as it currently stands PP is just a checklist and it will just stay a checklist unless people actually want it to be more than that.

• Like 2