Trophy Rarity Question

fisty123

I'm a bit out of shape with math, but this would be the difference between Old Method, New Method and Sly Suggestion:

Let's say that we have game A. And let's also say that game A has a DLC with 3 trophies. I'll put some random numbers on this.

Game A Owners: 152341

Game A DLC (Unique) Owners: 5627

DLC Trophy 1 Owners: 4527

DLC Trophy 2 Owners: 3685

DLC Trophy 3 Owners: 1250

Old Rarity (Game Owners based):

(DLC Trophy 1 Owners/Game Owners)*100=2,97%

(DLC Trophy 2 Owners/Game Owners)*100=2,41%

(DLC Trophy 3 Owners/Game Owners)*100=0,82%

Present Rarity (DLCs 'Owners' based):

(DLC Trophy 1 Owners/DLC Unique Owners)*100=80,45%

(DLC Trophy 2 Owners/DLC Unique Owners)*100=65,48%

(DLC Trophy 3 Owners/DLC Unique Owners)*100=22,21%

Sly Suggestion:

(DLC Trophy 1 Owners/DLC Unique Owners)*'Standardized Value'=21,78%

(DLC Trophy 2 Owners/DLC Unique Owners)*'Standardized Value'=17,72%

(DLC Trophy 3 Owners/DLC Unique Owners)*'Standardized Value'=6,01%

The 'Standardized Value' would be calculated as follows (IF I got right what Sly suggested)=Game Owners/DLC Unique Owners=152341/5627=27,07

• Like 2

The trophy rarity's are tailed by how many people own the game and how many people have gotten the trophy. So if 0 people own a game and 0 people get a specific trophy then it'd be 0.00% but if two people owned the game and one person got that specific trophy it would be 50.00%.

basically they tally the percentage by how many people own the game and own many people earned the trophy.

then what's the point of rarity? by this no trophy is rare, it's just a matter of pupularity, it doesn't show the difficulty of that trophy

My Resogun Plat once was an S rank and 100% completion, now due to dlc I have no intention of buying it's an A rank and 63% completion...

Just so you know, many of the DLCs are free, like half of them or something, and if you liked the base game, I'd totally recommend you get the other DLCs. :P I think they got a season pass, but I'm not sure you save much on that to be honest, because they gave away most of the DLCs for free in updates to the game.

I play dlc and get my 'difficult' trophy and don't feel rewarded or that I'm accurately represented with the 100% common trophy I received...ok, I can understand that, but what if it's an easy trophy?   Starts the dlc...press x to jump, ping, well done, you can jump, 0.5% UR trophy because all the base gamers tracked, that haven't bought the dlc, are absorbed into the calculations...woohoo.  Er, shouldn't you be complaining about this?  I mean let's be honest, you are in no way deserving of an UR for pressing x, right?  I know but I like this one better, makes my profile look nicer, hey, I'm happy, why complain right?  -.-

One of the issues were that it undermined the "real" URs. People who tend to buy DLCs had hundreds of extra URs, and the "real" URs just disappeared among the rest. Yes, we got a trophy cabinet now, but for those not premium members, it's rather limited in space, and just see how I use it. Don't get me wrong, I like the trophy cabinet idea a lot. It's a good way to show off trophies you care more about.

then what's the point of rarity? by this no trophy is rare, it's just a matter of pupularity, it doesn't show the difficulty of that trophy

It has never been about difficulty. The formula is:

(100 * (players who has earned the trophy)) / (players who has played the game)

So if 100 people have played the game and only 15 has got the trophy, then:

(100*15)/100=15

In other words 15% of those who got the game got the trophy.

• Like 1

The new method (if that's what was being suggested) is definitely a better reflection of rarity.

It's what I was trying to have people look at. But everyone seems to like fighting over "this" or "that"...

So I decided to try and show the numbers. Maybe people will be able to understand better.

This, of course, IF I understood correctly what Sly suggested.

And of curse, this would solve the problem of those pesky DLCs with single trophies.

PS:

You should add *100 in the Old Method and Current Method formulae, for better clarity ;)

Edited by Doctor Doom
  • Like 1

every trophy has this little thing "rarity" next to the timestamp  ex: "12.18% Rare", i suggest changing it to "Owned" since that's what it is and it's impossible to calculate the REAL rarity of a trophy without the complete owned numbers from sony and since you refuse to use their rarity statistics, this site's rarity is based on the people that make a profile here and that's really irrelevant to the REAL rarity of a trophy, i want to know how rare a trophy is based on how many people got it not based on how many people got it and put their profile on x/y/z site, without having the real owned numbers, any menthod that you'll come up with to calculate rarity is irrelevant, the only relevant rarity sistem is the one on PSN

every trophy has this little thing "rarity" next to the timestamp  ex: "12.18% Rare", i suggest changing it to "Owned" since that's what it is and it's impossible to calculate the REAL rarity of a trophy without the complete owned numbers from sony and since you refuse to use their rarity statistics, this site's rarity is based on the people that make a profile here and that's really irrelevant to the REAL rarity of a trophy, i want to know how rare a trophy is based on how many people got it not based on how many people got it and put their profile on x/y/z site, without having the real owned numbers, any menthod that you'll come up with to calculate rarity is irrelevant, the only relevant rarity sistem is the one on PSN

It should be "played", not "owned"...

You can stick to using PSN for you rarities, then. I'd rather not have nearly every single trophy here being ultra rare 

The system Sly has going on here isn't perfect, however it beats PSN in terms of accuracy towards objective difficulty 

• Like 2

That is your opinion but I completely disagree. The rarity for pretty much all the DLC trophies I have on Sony's app are Ultra Rare. This site gives a better representation of how challenging a trophy is (dying to use the word difficulty but I've already been torn apart over that one :D ).

The new method the more I look at it (if correct) looks quite promising as I don't think the UC3 rarity figures I quoted are that far off the mark (subjective of course :) ) and I'm going to try it on my spreadsheet later to see how other DLC's compare.

• Like 1

You can stick to using PSN for you rarities, then. I'd rather not have nearly every single trophy here being ultra rare 

The system Sly has going on here isn't perfect, however it beats PSN in terms of accuracy towards objective difficulty

What about the new suggestion he made recently that I'm trying to have discussed in this thread?

Rarity shows the percentage of people who has obtained a trophy. Some no trophy is really rare to get if you try hard enough.

that's the owned % then, not rarity, i asked what's the purpose of rarity since it's a different way of saying owned? it should say x people % own this trophy not this trophy is x % rare, most of the people that put their profiles here go for trophies, because of that there are no rare trophies, if you wanted to show us how rare is a trophy you would have to show us the % of the total people that own that game, the people that go for trophies and the ones that don't, and you can't, you don't have the numbers, what i'm tring to say is that there's no purpose for a rarity system on sites like these

look here: https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2237-Killzone-Shadow-Fall/40-Like-a-Boss

23.45% uncommon? trophies like that should be mega ultra rare, like they are on psn, 0.1%, YESSS

well too bad, because most trophies deserve to be ultra rare since they require tens of hours of gameplay, nobody has time for that and the people that have should have the credit that they deserve, i can see how a no lifer that gets every game for free from sony because he has 10k subs on youtube won't be pleased with this, but guess what? most of us have to work hard to pay for our games to earn those ultra rare trophies

either way i don't really care for this site's rarity system, i use the PSN one since that's the only REAL one

What about the new suggestion he made recently that I'm trying to have discussed in this thread?

I don't know that Sly's suggestion is any better than what we have now, in my opinion. If anything, the math is fuzzier and the result is probably less accurate.

Again though, since there is no solution that is going to make everyone happy, let each person decide on their own.

well too bad, because most trophies deserve to be ultra rare since they require tens of hours of gameplay, nobody has time for that and the people that have should have the credit that they deserve, i can see how a no lifer that gets every game for free from sony because he has 10k subs on youtube won't be pleased with this, but guess what? most of us have to work hard to pay for our games to earn those ultra rare trophies

either way i don't really care for this site's rarity system, i use the PSN one since that's the only REAL one

No, most trophies don't deserve to be ultra rare

What do YouTubers that have thousands of subscribers have to do with this topic

A game being expensive doesn't warrant the increase of its trophy rarities - you're implying that ultra rare trophies should be easy to attain simply because you "work hard" to acquire the game they're in. Well, buddy - you do the logic, if they're going to be easy to attain, then they're not going to be ultra rare, are they? Ultra rare trophies, in most cases, are rarer for a reason

According to PSN, the Wolfenstein: The New Order platinum is 3.7% ultra rare - and that game is piss easy. Yeah, you can go continue having fun with PSN rarities, but I'll pass

Edited by Aela
  • Like 2

In fairness, the stat is not 'difficulty' its rarity.

PSN is correct, in that 3.7% of people who have played the game have acheived the platinum.

I speak of basing the difficulty off of the rarity - in this case, it's inaccurate. Bringing the PSN rarity system to PSNProfiles would be terrible and this is what I'm emphasizing upon with my Wolfenstein example

In general, the more rare a trophy is, the more demanding it would be to attain

Edited by Aela

In fairness, the stat is not 'difficulty' its rarity.

PSN is correct, in that 3.7% of people who have played the game have acheived the platinum.

The problem is the number of people using the rarity stat as a difficulty stat.

They arnt the same thing, and cant be treated as such

But this is not PSN, it's PSNP, so the statistic is calculated on a smaller sample of user and that's why the % differs.

Just so you know, many of the DLCs are free, like half of them or something, and if you liked the base game, I'd totally recommend you get the other DLCs. :P I think they got a season pass, but I'm not sure you save much on that to be honest, because they gave away most of the DLCs for free in updates to the game.

One of the issues were that it undermined the "real" URs. People who tend to buy DLCs had hundreds of extra URs, and the "real" URs just disappeared among the rest. Yes, we got a trophy cabinet now, but for those not premium members, it's rather limited in space, and just see how I use it. Don't get me wrong, I like the trophy cabinet idea a lot. It's a good way to show off trophies you care more about.

Cheers for the Reso info MMDE, pretty sure I picked up the dlc/update with the ship builder way back...and earned a few trophies too.   Wasn't a slight on the game, Housemarque are quality studio and I enjoy everything they do, Reso was a blast, but after the initial Plat (PS4) I fired up the PS3 version and earned about half the trophies again before I decided it was time to move on...too many games in the backlog.   I might go back and have a look at some point though, so cheers anyway.   :)

I hope I didn't come across as dismissive, and it's not like I don't sympathise with the problem, and I fully appreciate the issue with 1 trophy dlcs, but we could have a similar heated debate about overall completion stats...which affects base gamers who don't buy dlc...I've completed 100% of what I own (have played) yet my rate is 50% say, because there's dlc, which I don't own, have never played and offers no value to me...which is often the case as we all know with BS dlc.   

If a tough dlc trophy is 100% common, meaning everyone that bought (played) the dlc has achieved it...then how tough can it really be?   Ok, that's a bit churlish, I know it could still be tough, but doesn't the same apply to small, niche, base games that few people buy?   A tough-as-nails niche game could sell 20 copies, all to highly skilled gamers who know what they're doing....they all achieve 100%, or Plat, the trophies are then common, it's not representative of 'difficulty' and precisely who do we add to this problem to dilute the rarity values?   

If there's a better way then by all means, but to me it'll always be a problem, and I'm fine with whatever calculations are used.   Way too many variables, a lot of which are even tangential to the crux of this debate, but relevant to concepts of 'difficulty'.   I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the issue, the site does a good job of reflecting stats, and it's consistent for everyone...

Edited by RedMustang72

Cheers for the Reso info MMDE, pretty sure I picked up the dlc/update with the ship builder way back...and earned a few trophies too.   Wasn't a slight on the game, Housemarque are quality studio and I enjoy everything they do, Reso was a blast, but after the initial Plat (PS4) I fired up the PS3 version and earned about half the trophies again before I decided it was time to move on...too many games in the backlog.   I might go back and have a look at some point though, so cheers anyway.   :)

I hope I didn't come across as dismissive, and it's not like I don't sympathise with the problem, and I fully appreciate the issue with 1 trophy dlcs, but we could have a similar heated debate about overall completion stats...which affects base gamers who don't buy dlc...I've completed 100% of what I own (have played) yet my rate is 50% say, because there's dlc, which I don't own, have never played and offers no value to me...which is often the case as we all know with BS dlc.   

If a tough dlc trophy is 100% common, meaning everyone that bought the dlc has achieved it...then how tough can it really be?   Ok, that's a bit churlish, I know it could still be tough, but doesn't the same apply to small, niche, base games that few people buy?   A tough-as-nails niche game could sell 20 copies, all to highly skilled gamers who know what they're doing....they all achieve 100%, or Plat, the trophies are then common, it's not representative of 'difficulty' and precisely who do we add to this problem to dilute the rarity values?   

If there's a better way then by all means, but to me it'll always be a problem, and I'm fine with whatever calculations are used.   Way too many variables, a lot of which are even tangential to the crux of this debate, but relevant to concepts of 'difficulty'.   I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the issue, the site does a good job of reflecting stats, and it's consistent for everyone...

People have had heated debates over overall completion stats.

One thing I think is missing is a way to count how many PSN games you've 100% the base game of. Games with plat is easy, you count the plat, but PSN games is a totally different beast. I believe I got over 100 PSN games 100%, but I don't know the numbers and no easy way to figure it out other than counting.

A good suggestion IMO is to make that check mark symbolize 100% base game when it comes to PSN games, like it does for games with a platinum. If you want to see if they've got 100% game + DLC, you always got that % counter anyways.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

People have had heated debates over overall completion stats.

One thing I think is missing is a way to count how many PSN games you've 100% the base game of. Games with plat is easy, you count the plat, but PSN games is a totally different beast. I believe I got over 100 PSN games 100%, but I don't know the numbers and no easy way to figure it out other than counting.

A good suggestion IMO is to make that check mark symbolize 100% base game when it comes to PSN games, like it does for games with a platinum. If you want to see if they've got 100% game + DLC, you always got that % counter anyways.

Why am I not surprised there's been heated completion debates?!  :D

I understand what you are saying but something else to consider is how user friendly the site is, or wants to be.   A lot of us are pleased and happy to plough through various stat sets, and it's great for really specified numbers/values and representation...but there'll be some, perhaps many, that get their head in a tizz with information overload.   That doesn't mean it can't be done or isn't agreeable, but it is very easy for people to become a touch overwhelmed.   From my experience of the users on this site I wouldn't say deeper stat reflection would be a problem, but there is a point where too much info, which I presume would be added to the trophy card, is off-putting to others...or at least it's possible.

I do agree with you though, a tally for 100% games would be good, but for games with dlc affecting the rate then it can get a bit confusing.   To me the site is very well done, it offers a decent amount of stat info while retaining a simple interface, but yeah, tallies for various numbers would be great, it's just what is the next number value to be added and care taken to maintain a friendly interface.

I'm glad a few others are pointing out that rarity values don't represent difficulty, I'm not trying to come down on one side or the other of the debate but offering a value based on game/dlc players to achievers still seems as reasonable as it'll ever be.   The example you gave of 100 players and 15 achievers is, to me, representative.   If all 100 players achieve then regardless of how 'tough' any given trophy is, 100% common is accurate.   It might not be fair, or ideal, but it's not unreasonable either I would think.  Rarity values are based on the aforementioned ratios...not perceived difficulty.  :)

that's the owned % then, not rarity, i asked what's the purpose of rarity since it's a different way of saying owned? it should say x people % own this trophy not this trophy is x % rare, most of the people that put their profiles here go for trophies, because of that there are no rare trophies, if you wanted to show us how rare is a trophy you would have to show us the % of the total people that own that game, the people that go for trophies and the ones that don't, and you can't, you don't have the numbers, what i'm tring to say is that there's no purpose for a rarity system on sites like these

look here: https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2237-Killzone-Shadow-Fall/40-Like-a-Boss

23.45% uncommon? trophies like that should be mega ultra rare, like they are on psn, 0.1%, YESSS

Are you trying to be a troll?

every trophy has this little thing "rarity" next to the timestamp ex: "12.18% Rare", i suggest changing it to "Owned" since that's what it is and it's impossible to calculate the REAL rarity of a trophy without the complete owned numbers from sony and since you refuse to use their rarity statistics, this site's rarity is based on the people that make a profile here and that's really irrelevant to the REAL rarity of a trophy, i want to know how rare a trophy is based on how many people got it not based on how many people got it and put their profile on x/y/z site, without having the real owned numbers, any menthod that you'll come up with to calculate rarity is irrelevant, the only relevant rarity sistem is the one on PSN

The only reason for trophies being less rare on PSNP is because most of the people are trophy hunters. Still hard plats are rare and easy one aren't. Also using the PSN rarity is stupid IMO since it means that you compare yourself with millions of people that don't care about trophies.

Still going, I see.

Well, my 2 cents: I don't like the idea of any game having a DLC trophy with lower rarity than its associated platinum trophy. I know, I know - people will cry "But...Dante's Inferno! The Golems of Amgarrak!" For every one of those, there are literally dozens of Playstation All Stars. 

Obviously, people have different views here. But for myself, I don't like the compromise put forth. I would say eliminate rarity statistics altogether for DLC trophies, but keep them in place for completion percentages. 

This game is the main reason why I brought this up, A lot of these DLC games are hard, very hard even and to have a 100% common as the first trophy and in some cases a high percent for the second (harder trophy) annoys me as I know many members tired to get some of the DLC trophies and could not but it is still listed as a 100% earn rate.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1848-Capcom-Arcade-Cabinet/

Using the method Sly brought up and some members posting examples would work much better for a game like this. I say this because the current method has it as a 100% common however the Sony and other sites have it between 0.1% - 1.5 % for most of the DLC's which is rather low where the proposed method would make a middle ground to keep members like me happy and other members go hey that game looks rather hard but fun I might give it a go.

Last point on that game the main game has 62,000 players however take a look at Gun, Smoke DLC which for me was one of the harder games just to get the first trophy only 152 members from that 62,000 got the first trophy now I know that not all 62,000 members would have tried it but as you can buy all the DLC is one pack I can say that a lot more than 152 members tried to get that first trophy.

Where if you look at the Avengers DLC it had 1,553 members unlock the first trophy and it was the first DLC game there would have been a lot more members play this one as the base game only one game and the Avengers DLC was out almost at the same time and in some cases you could buy them both as a pack also.

Edited by fisty123