The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

OK, I came across this video on Youtube and it reminded me why the Attitude was so good. It wasn't for blood, weapons, boobs, swearing or anything like that (not that that hurt though) no it was because the superstars really felt like superstars.

I mean no one ever gets over on the Authority, hell they can't even do anything to Stephanie because she is a woman so the bad guy always wins. We the viewers have to turn on our tvs after a hard days work and then see people on TV get shitted on by their boss as well. The good guy never wins and then the bad guys come out and remind us that the good guy never wins. We are constantly told that the people we see in the ring are losers or "b+ players" instead of being like 'oh shit these guys are badasses and only other badasses can beat them"

I mean watch this video and notice there wasn't a "face of the company" there were 3 faces of the company and the crowd is going nuts for a segment because it is 3 badasses getting revenge on their evil boss because in the end good should triumph over evil.

OK, I came across this video on Youtube and it reminded me why the Attitude was so good. It wasn't for blood, weapons, boobs, swearing or anything like that (not that that hurt though) no it was because the superstars really felt like superstars.

I mean no one ever gets over on the Authority, hell they can't even do anything to Stephanie because she is a woman so the bad guy always wins. We the viewers have to turn on our tvs after a hard days work and then see people on TV get shitted on by their boss as well. The good guy never wins and then the bad guys come out and remind us that the good guy never wins. We are constantly told that the people we see in the ring are losers or "b+ players" instead of being like 'oh shit these guys are badasses and only other badasses can beat them"

I mean watch this video and notice there wasn't a "face of the company" there were 3 faces of the company and the crowd is going nuts for a segment because it is 3 badasses getting revenge on their evil boss because in the end good should triumph over evil.

There's only one problem: if "good" now is represented by stupid-Cena and stupid-Roman, then long live the Authority!  :angry:

There's only one problem: if "good" now is represented by stupid-Cena and stupid-Roman, then long live the Authority!  :angry:

BUt that is bad writing. Roman shouldn't be what he is, they are trying to make him the next Cena (corny puns and big smiles) and then they were trying to make him the next Austin (rebelling against authority etc). He needs to be the next Reigns and just be an ass kicker like he was in the Shield.

See the reason you despise Reigns and Cena is not because of who they are (because let us face it they really are fine characters) it is because they are pushed as the Be All, End All of the company at the expense of everyone else.

What I pointed out in my video is the Attitude Era didn't have a Be All. End All...it had lots of superstars at the top so if you didn't like Austin, you could like The Rock or Mick Foley, or Kane, or Taker, of HHH, or Angle etc etc etc.

So what WWE needs to STOP DOING RIGHT FUCKING NOW is have Ambrose, Styles, Reigns, Owens, Wyatt, Cesaro, Cena, Orton etc etc etc all be pushed as the "face of the company" and then the fans would rebel so much and actually start enjoying the product again

There is one argument to be had here.  Rock and Austin were both once in a generation talents, and having two of those guys peak at the same time is extremely rare.  I'd even argue it hasn't happened before or since.  So, when you have two guys like that at the top the "midcard" turns into guys like HHH, Shawn Michaels, and Jericho.  All 3 of which are easily main event level guys so the midcard became just as entertaining.

I'm not saying the current WWE doesn't have the roster to try and recreate that kind of a card, but I do think casual fans (which are the bulk of the fanbase still) aren't going to take to them and get them over the same way as those days.

There's also nothing really "new" to bring to the table anymore.  In the Monday night War days kayfabe was still pretty prominent, so nobody knew that Nash and Hall were really WCW guys so we all bought into the whole invasion story line.  Also, the cruiserwieght division brought a whole new style of wrestling to anyone who didn't really watch Luchadors or ECW, which was pretty much everyone.  Speaking of ECW, the WWE (F at the time) also brought their "hardcore" style into the mainstream for really the first time.  There's also one last thing to consider, and it's probably the most important fact, all that stuff happened pre-internet.  People didn't have the ability to pull the curtain and know everything their is to know like they do now, so when something special happened, we all just had to sit back and watch it unfold.  Now-a-days, everyone would have known about Hogan's heel turn months ahead of time so when it it probably would have been met with a whole lot of *meh*, but back then... well, you know what happened.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

There is one argument to be had here.  Rock and Austin were both once in a generation talents, and having two of those guys peak at the same time is extremely rare.  I'd even argue it hasn't happened before or since.  So, when you have two guys like that at the top the "midcard" turns into guys like HHH, Shawn Michaels, and Jericho.  All 3 of which are easily main event level guys so the midcard became just as entertaining.

I'm not saying the current WWE doesn't have the roster to try and recreate that kind of a card, but I do think casual fans (which are the bulk of the fanbase still) aren't going to take to them and get them over the same way as those days.

Well that is true but if a Rock or Austin came around today would you know it?

I mean look at Austin, if he came to the WWE today with the Ringmaster gimmick and wasn't allowed to cut promos or deviate from the script...would we ever get a Stone Cold?

If Rocky Maivia came around today and WWE decided "he is the guy so he is our next Top Babyface" and they don't turn him heel and put him with the Corporation and Nation and don't let him get over naturally...would we still have the Rock?

If Mick wasn't allowed to cut this promo on JR would he have gotten over? No, now a days Kevin Dunn would shoot this with that dumb over the crowd's shoulder camera (which makes it look like fans aren't into the promo because they are just watching the screen) and shaky cam so you get nausea watching it.

The thing is things like Punk's pipebomb, Bryan's yes movement or Owen's battles with Cena got people tuning in...but those fans weren't beaten back by WWE's insistence on pushing "they guy" and those fans turned away. So instead of me being curious and watching the product for once and then telling my friends "you have to see this" it is instead me watching the product, getting interested, then have that interest betrayed and leaving the product behind.

There's also nothing really "new" to bring to the table anymore.  In the Monday night War days kayfabe was still pretty prominent, so nobody knew that Nash and Hall were really WCW guys so we all bought into the whole invasion story line.  Also, the cruiserwieght division brought a whole new style of wrestling to anyone who didn't really watch Luchadors or ECW, which was pretty much everyone.  Speaking of ECW, the WWE (F at the time) also brought their "hardcore" style into the mainstream for really the first time.  There's also one last thing to consider, and it's probably the most important fact, all that stuff happened pre-internet.  People didn't have the ability to pull the curtain and know everything their is to know like they do now, so when something special happened, we all just had to sit back and watch it unfold.  Now-a-days, everyone would have known about Hogan's heel turn months ahead of time so when it it probably would have been met with a whole lot of *meh*, but back then... well, you know what happened.

The Internet, while also useful, has ruined and destroyed alot of things. One example of something that Internet destroyed was kayfabe in wrestling. Back in the day when watching wrestling, there was a sense that it was all real, and nothing being said was fake or scripted. Today though, it's common knowledge that wrestling is indeed choreographed. It's common knowledge that wrestlers have lines written for them, and that most of what they say, is not genuine or in their own words, with a few controversial exceptions like segments aired on live TV that appear to be "Unscripted", as in example, CM Punk saying that WWE might be a better company after Vince McMahon is dead. Wrestling I think, reaches a peak of interest in viewers when the viewers think what they are watching is unscripted and a true "outburst" or "backstage conflict".

I always will watch wrestling and pour money into it's products because I love it. It's not flawless, it's not even as interesting as it used to be and I think alot of talent in the WWE is being wasted (Bray Wyatt, etc.) because of poor booking decisions and match outcomes. But I still watch. Hoping that this is just a dry spell for WWE and all it'll take is one superstar to come along, change the direction of the company and connect with fans with how like Steve Austin used to. Not forcefed to us like Roman Reigns is, or John Cena was/is. But genuinely builds respect from the WWE Universe, genuinely gets them behind him, or her, without it seeming to be forcefed. That's when that big pop WWE has been looking for with Roman Reigns will happen, but it won't be with Roman Reigns. It won't be somebody with a face so beautiful that it'll help sell magazines or DVDs, it'll be the face of somebody who the WWE doesn't obviously want,  (Daniel Bryan, CM Punk). And whatever WWE suits seemingly don't want, is what the WWE Universe WILL want. 

Right now, there's only one, possibly twopeople who could blow up the WWE Universe for a HUGE pop. Daniel Bryan is that possibility. But CM Punk is the better bet. Bit of a rant. Whoo.

The problem with Reigns is that the dude can't cut a promo or wrestle. He's basically the next Ultimate Warrior who got some super crazy push despite being a shit wrestler basically based on having "The look" which Roman Reigns also has. All Reigns can do is get his ass beat for 10 minutes than superman punch 5 times in a row into a spear and win. 

The WWE doesn't have problems because of the internet and kayfabe. Who cares that you had a good idea ahead of time that AJ Styles could be at the Rumble, you still marked out like a little kid when he came out. The problem with guys like Reigns and Cena is that they fuck over the whole roster. Remember last year when Rusev was undefeated? Then he got fed to Cena and couldn't get one damn win on PPV. 

I remember when Tensai was the next big monster heel when he came back, and he had some manager too. So after a couple of months of destroying the undercard, him and the manager get a handicap match against Cena, and Cena wins clean. That's the problem with guys like that. Braun Stroman is basically a clean loss to Reigns away from being the next Great Khali, which hurts the product. 

The best thing the WWE had going since Punk left and Bryan got hurt was Rollins title reign. That was a thing of beauty, though the rumors were he was going to get bitched out to Reigns at Survivor Series so apparently he got hurt at the right time to save the from their own stupidity. 

The problem with the WWE isn't the internet, the problem is some dude who can't wrestle essentially needs the entire Wyatt family to interfere for him to lose a match. Sheamus is another guy who got completely bitched out to Reigns in a hurry. You can't build up a top heel and make compelling television when the dude is just going to lose to Reigns clean. Or worse, have half his homies interfere and he still loses. 

I'm not saying the loss of kayfabe and the internet are the only reason for the problems, I'm saying those two things are contributing factors that people ignore.  The more surprise there is the more effective the reaction.  In today's world, surprise is almost impossible to provide for a wrestling promotion and, as a result, a genuine pop is as well.  Yeah, we all knew AJ was going to show up at either the rumble or the RAW afterwards and, yeah, we all popped when he did but compare that reaction to the one Cena got when he showed up at the Rumble after getting injured several years ago.  Absolutely no one saw that one coming and it created a huge buzz because of it.  If Daniel Bryan got secretly cleared to come back by Vince, I'd bet my house that the reaction would be far more substantial than if we all heard about it a month in advance and were waiting for it.  Same with Punk.

Well that is true but if a Rock or Austin came around today would you know it?

I mean look at Austin, if he came to the WWE today with the Ringmaster gimmick and wasn't allowed to cut promos or deviate from the script...would we ever get a Stone Cold?

If Rocky Maivia came around today and WWE decided "he is the guy so he is our next Top Babyface" and they don't turn him heel and put him with the Corporation and Nation and don't let him get over naturally...would we still have the Rock?

If Mick wasn't allowed to cut this promo on JR would he have gotten over? No, now a days Kevin Dunn would shoot this with that dumb over the crowd's shoulder camera (which makes it look like fans aren't into the promo because they are just watching the screen) and shaky cam so you get nausea watching it.

The thing is things like Punk's pipebomb, Bryan's yes movement or Owen's battles with Cena got people tuning in...but those fans weren't beaten back by WWE's insistence on pushing "they guy" and those fans turned away. So instead of me being curious and watching the product for once and then telling my friends "you have to see this" it is instead me watching the product, getting interested, then have that interest betrayed and leaving the product behind.

We got Stone Cold because that's pretty much exactly what happened to him.  Then Paul Heyman picked him up and turned him loose.  Same with Rock.  He was the "you're going to love this guy-guy" and the fans hated it.  Remember "die Rocky die"?  They had no choice but to turn him.  Mick's most prevalent moment wasn't a promo, it was a Hell in a Cell match.  

Anyways, I'm not even sure where I'm going with all this because I don't really disagree with you guys, I just think there's more to it than pushing a guy that the smarks don't like.  

Everything's been done, the fans are more savvy and harder to surprise (mainly because of the internet), if a guy doesn't get over "right now" then he's almost considered an instant failure so the same old tried and true guys get put over, there's no more freedom among the workers, anything outside of the main event scene has no consistency (tag teams are being pushed, then they're not, then they are.  Same with the divas), complete lack of competition to push the product in different directions, the list goes on and on.  Take your pick I guess  :blink:

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

I'm not saying the loss of kayfabe and the internet are the only reason for the problems, I'm saying those two things are contributing factors that people ignore.  The more surprise there is the more effective the reaction.  In today's world, surprise is almost impossible to provide for a wrestling promotion and, as a result, a genuine pop is as well.  Yeah, we all knew AJ was going to show up at either the rumble or the RAW afterwards and, yeah, we all popped when he did but compare that reaction to the one Cena got when he showed up at the Rumble after getting injured several years ago.  Absolutely no one saw that one coming and it created a huge buzz because of it.  If Daniel Bryan got secretly cleared to come back by Vince, I'd bet my house that the reaction would be far more substantial than if we all heard about it a month in advance and were waiting for it.  Same with Punk.

We got Stone Cold because that's pretty much exactly what happened to him.  Then Paul Heyman picked him up and turned him loose.  Same with Rock.  He was the "you're going to love this guy-guy" and the fans hated it.  Remember "die Rocky die"?  They had no choice but to turn him.  Mick's most prevalent moment wasn't a promo, it was a Hell in a Cell match.  

Anyways, I'm not even sure where I'm going with all this because I don't really disagree with you guys, I just think there's more to it than pushing a guy that the smarks don't like.  

Everything's been done, the fans are more savvy and harder to surprise (mainly because of the internet), if a guy doesn't get over "right now" then he's almost considered an instant failure so the same old tried and true guys get put over, there's no more freedom among the workers, anything outside of the main event scene has no consistency (tag teams are being pushed, then they're not, then they are.  Same with the divas), complete lack of competition to push the product in different directions, the list goes on and on.  Take your pick I guess  :blink:

Yeah it is funny we are all saying the same thing ^_^

Basically people are afraid of being different for fear of being punished (ala Ryder) so instead we get cookie cutter wrestlers that once they get hot enough are fed to whomever the company thinks is the "man".

Leaving Rusev as the only member of the League of Nations capable of performing.

Not sure if I'm really into it, or I'm just starting to hardcore bandwagon, but I've been finding myself listening to AJ Styles WWE theme on loop for a few days now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq9QBR-rLXs

It is a great theme. WWE has been killing it with the theme songs lately. Samoa Joe, Sasha Banks, Emma, Apollo Crews, Sami Zayn, and AJ Styles are all great songs.

Welp -- Bret Hart has officially announced that he is currently fighting prostate cancer.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/694213696860635137/photo/1

Trying to upload his FB post, but their embed post system is absolutely fucked.

https://www.facebook.com/hitmanbrethart/photos/a.10150129280249443.295738.251123314442/10153915863359443/?type=3&theater

Edited by KitsuneChaos

My predictions in the divas title picture over the next few months;

Sasha begins feuding with or without Becky Lynch against Naomi & Tamina between now and Fast Lane, and she beats them while gradually turning face in the process.

Meanwhile, Charlotte defeats Brie Bella at Fast Lane in some throwaway divas title match.

This sets up face Sasha vs heel Charlotte for Wrestlemania 32, where Sasha wins the divas title.

Then between WM32 & Extreme Rules there is a rematch feud between Sasha & Charlotte which Sasha wins before Nikki returns setting up a Sasha Banks and Nikki Bella feud from there on out.

My predictions in the divas title picture over the next few months;

Sasha begins feuding with or without Becky Lynch against Naomi & Tamina between now and Fast Lane, and she beats them while gradually turning face in the process.

Meanwhile, Charlotte defeats Brie Bella at Fast Lane in some throwaway divas title match.

This sets up face Sasha vs heel Charlotte for Wrestlemania 32, where Sasha wins the divas title.

Then between WM32 & Extreme Rules there is a rematch feud between Sasha & Charlotte which Sasha wins before Nikki returns setting up a Sasha Banks and Nikki Bella feud from there on out.

I hate that Brie is getting thrown into this title picture. The Bellas need to fuck off already. I was hoping for a Sasha vs. Becky #1 contenders match at Fastlane. Due to Charlotte or Ric shenanigans, they both earn a shot for the title, setting up a triple threat at Wrestlemania.

I hate that Brie is getting thrown into this title picture. The Bellas need to fuck off already. I was hoping for a Sasha vs. Becky #1 contenders match at Fastlane. Due to Charlotte or Ric shenanigans, they both earn a shot for the title, setting up a triple threat at Wrestlemania.

I like the bellas but I agree Brie doesn't suit this title shot as everyone can tell it's a throwaway match. Sasha V. Charlotte at fastline, Sasha wins and triple threat at WM32 is what I wanted

Rumors for the big 4 matches at WM as of today:

Divas Championship: Charlotte © vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch

Brock Lesnar vs. Bray Wyatt

The Undertaker vs. Braun Strowman

WWE WHC: Triple H © vs. Roman Reigns

Additional Notes: 

- Vince McMahon is very high on Braun Strowman and wants to make him a top character in the company. He has been very involved in producing Braun during his segments on TV. Vince initially wanted Strowman to face Lesnar, and under heavy opposition, agreed to the Undertaker match instead. If Strowman's match at 'Mania goes well, he will indeed face Brock Lesnar at Summerslam this year.

- Batista met with WWE Management last week at the Smackdown taping to discuss a possible role at 'Mania. He turned it down because he was only offered to be the special referee in the main event. Vince offered HBK a lot of money to return at the Royal Rumble, and he turned it down. HBK could be a possible candidate for special referee in the main event at Wrestlemania 32.

- It is believed Triple H and Roman Reigns will each have a person or people in their corner. The speculation is Rock (Reigns) and Vince (Triple H), or if they can get Ronda Rousey, Rock & Rousey (Reigns) and Vince & Stephanie (Triple H).

I've heard rumors of Vince wanting Daniel Bryan back on TV.  I don't know in what capacity exactly, just heard "back on TV".  REALLY hoping this Monday will be the day he pulls the trigger, for two reasons.  1 - it's in Seattle so the pop for a Bryan return would be in-sane and 2 - my ticket to attend RAW in Seattle is tucked away safely just waiting for Monday to arrive  B)

I've heard rumors of Vince wanting Daniel Bryan back on TV.  I don't know in what capacity exactly, just heard "back on TV".  REALLY hoping this Monday will be the day he pulls the trigger, for two reasons.  1 - it's in Seattle so the pop for a Bryan return would be in-sane and 2 - my ticket to attend RAW in Seattle is tucked away safely just waiting for Monday to arrive  B)

Prediction. He comes back and becomes Brie's manager. That way him and Ric can cut promos on each other leading up to Fast Lane and when Ric tries to pull some shit on Brie at Fast Lane Brian jumps in, slaps the Yes Lock on Flair and we get Bryan vs Flair at Mania :)

With Total Divas taking a major ratings plunge lately, I'm not that surprised that they're panicking and responding with bringing Brie into the main TV spotlight.
Personally, I'm just getting tired of the constant Ric Flair exposure. I'll listen to his podcast on a weekly basis, but I don't think that he should continue to be a key factor in title matches.

Overall, I'm sure that they're easing Sasha and Charlotte past Fastline, setting up a match for 'Mania. Especially when it's quite possible that we're seeing Bayley's debut the Raw after 'Mania.

1H36D3a.jpg

Edited by KitsuneChaos