The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

So apparently Pat Patterson is gay (well, not just now; he has been).

Apparently openly so since the '70s, but he came out publicly and professionally near the end of 2014.

Just so happened to find out during the episode of Talk is Jericho that he was on this past week.

First openly gay wrestler, first Intercontinental Champion, and the guy who invented the Royal Rumble major event. Combine that with the fact that he's worked the business for the past 56 years, developed so much talent, as well as being responsible for so much of the wrestling (still refuse to call it "sports entertainment") that we've enjoyed throughout the past two to three decades.

EDIT:

Update for Fast Lane.

"Dolph Ziggler, Ryback & Erick Rowan join forces to take on The Authority's mercenaries Seth Rollins, Big Show & Kane in six-man tag team action at WWE Fastlane."

Six-man tag. There's always a six-man tag. =_=

Pretty sure he "publicly" came out on an episode of Legends house a while back.  I didn't watch it because I have no interest in the show but they made a rather large deal out of it.

Predictions for tonight?

My predicitions;

John Cena defeats Rusev by DQ.

Dolph Ziggler, Erick Rowan & Ryback defeat Seth Rollins, Kane & The Big Show.

Roman Reigns defeats Daniel Bryan by interference from Sheamus. (hopefully not)

Dean Ambrose defeats Bad News Barett. (maybe by DQ)

Stardust defeats Goldust.

Nikki Bella defeats Paige.

The Usos defeat Tyson Kidd & Cesaro. (i hope i'm wrong)

Tonight:

-Uso's retain over Kidd & Cesaro in a match that ultimately pushes Total Divas instead of the tag division

-Stardust over Goldust in a solid match to get the crowd going

-Ryback/Rowan/Ziggler over Show/Kane/Rollins due to in-fighting between Kane and Skow (leading to Show's ceremonial one millionth turn)

-Rusev over Cena by DQ

-Nikki over Paige in another match that makes Total Divas the main priority (and we all take a piss)

-Barrett over Ambrose to continue the feud

... ... ...can't decide on the main event.  Heart says Bryan, Head says Reigns... ... ... heart is almost always wrong so I'll say Reigns over Bryan... for now (still think they'll end up doing a triple threat or fatal four way at Mania).

Predictions:

Ziggler, Ryback, & Rowan defeat Rollins, Show, & Kane.

Usos defeat Kidd & Cesaro via Total Divas distraction on the outside. (rematch at WM)

Stardust defeats Goldust (rematch at WM)

Nikki defeats Paige via heel tactics (rematch at WM)

BnB defeats Ambrose via heel tactics (rematch at WM)

Rusev defeats Cena via ref stoppage. Rusev locks the Accolade, John "Never give up" Cena doesn't give up. (rematch at WM)

Reigns defeats Bryan. Bryan should win, but I don't see it happening. Some BS interference will happen.

Most of this PPV is useless, and only here to set up rematches for WM.

Predictions:

Ziggler, Ryback, & Rowan defeat Rollins, Show, & Kane.

Usos defeat Kidd & Cesaro via Total Divas distraction on the outside. (rematch at WM)

Stardust defeats Goldust (rematch at WM)

Nikki defeats Paige via heel tactics (rematch at WM)

BnB defeats Ambrose via heel tactics (rematch at WM)

Rusev defeats Cena via ref stoppage. Rusev locks the Accolade, John "Never give up" Cena doesn't give up. (rematch at WM)

Reigns defeats Bryan. Bryan should win, but I don't see it happening. Some BS interference will happen.

Most of this PPV is useless, and only here to set up rematches for WM.

I really really hope there's not that many rematches at WM.  WM is supposed to be the special event of the year and having that many rematches will water it down almost to the point of "just another event".  Especially if Taker doesn't work this year.  That would pretty much leave Sting/HHH and the title match as the only two we haven't already seen a month before.

I really want Paige to beat Nikki. I am just bleh on the Bellas now, and Paige is just naturally more awesome than they are.

Predictions on who Bray Wyatt will be randomly attacking tonight? Sting, perhaps? Maybe these promos Bray has been cutting aren't about The Undertaker afterall?

As I've said before, I'll be rooting for Daniel Bryan, but I want Roman Reigns to win to protect the credibility of a Royal Rumble match. Then I will just have to hope Brock Lesnar defeats him at WrestleMania. Sorry, but Vince has destroyed Roman with crappy looney tunes dialogue and needless to mention that Roman himself has shot himself in the foot on occasion by botching his lines. Bryan Alvarez said it best in the video I posted above: How can you possibly screw up Roman Reigns? This guy should be a total bad ass, and they've made him look terrible and juvenile.

I really want Paige to beat Nikki. I am just bleh on the Bellas now, and Paige is just naturally more awesome than they are.

Predictions on who Bray Wyatt will be randomly attacking tonight? Sting, perhaps? Maybe these promos Bray has been cutting aren't about The Undertaker afterall?

As I've said before, I'll be rooting for Daniel Bryan, but I want Roman Reigns to win to protect the credibility of a Royal Rumble match. Then I will just have to hope Brock Lesnar defeats him at WrestleMania. Sorry, but Vince has destroyed Roman with crappy looney tunes dialogue and needless to mention that Roman himself has shot himself in the foot on occasion by botching his lines. Bryan Alvarez said it best in the video I posted above: How can you possibly screw up Roman Reigns? This guy should be a total bad ass, and they've made him look terrible and juvenile.

Haven't watched the video you mention but I wouldn't go as far as calling Reigns terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not super-high up on Reigns but his mic work is the last thing on my list of problems with him.  My 1st -and biggest- problem is him being protected the way he is.  He was easily the least talented member of the shield (also the least experienced) but his look and lineage gave Vince the magic boner that causes a guy to be shoved down our throats because we're "supposed" to love him.  He never really had to earn anything.  He barely worked in NXT and his call-up was straight to one of the best heel factions that ever existed.  As a singles worker he never loses (as opposed to fellow shield member Ambrose who never wins) and just got rocketed straight to the top.  Rollins had a similar build but he had to cut his teeth for quite a while in NXT and worked an upper midcard feud before getting Money in the Bank.

Even with all that, if Reigns had never gotten hurt I'd be on board with pushing him to the top.  He could have used the time he spent out getting built properly and having a more organic transition to the title scene.  Right now Reigns, to me, has the potential to go through a Rock type of career.  Touted as the greatest thing ever out of the gate, made into one of the most hated guys in the business because of his accelerated build, forced to push through "die Rocky die" chants and ultimately becoming someone who comes out in the end better for it.  Reigns could be the guy, just not this soon.

Am I the only one who has been getting annoyed by Daniel Bryan since his return?

Then again, I never really cared for him in the first place. I like listening to him in interviews, but that's about it...

The only one? No, probably not.  Every worker has fans and critics.

Personally, I think Bryan is the best thing going.  I'll admit I'm biased, being from Washington means he's a home-town hero (remember the crowd from the Seattle RAW a while back) but his work-rate is top 1% material.  Possibly even the best when it comes to in-ring performance.  It doesn't matter if he's in there with a Ryback or a Kofi, it's going to be a great match.  I'd bet money if he was put in there with Khali he'd still find a way to get a quality match out of him, he's just that good.

I'm hoping this feud with Reigns gets carried on after Wrestlemania and both guys can feed off of it in a Rock/Austin type of way.

As expected, most of these matches will have rematches at Wrestlemania. As of now, I'm not too excited for WM.

Wyatt vs Taker could be interesting, but I feel like Taker should've retired after the loss last year. He's not in wrestling shape anymore (hasn't been for awhile really) and the streak is dead.

Reigns vs Lesnar will be bad, not as bad as Goldberg vs Lesnar hopefully. Brock needs to win, and Rollins can cash in afterwards. It would make no sense for Lesnar to lose to Reigns, after how he's dominated everyone for the last year.

Of course, Cena lost just how I thought he would. I would like, for once, to see him put over a young star. But I know Cena won't, so WM will be another burial for him. Can't wait to see Rusev jobbing to Bo Dallas and R-Truth in a few months, while Cena goes on to his 100th title reign.

Wonder who Bryan will face? The number one face in the company has no storyline for the biggest PPV of the year. Maybe they'll throw him in another pointless match with Sheamus. After all, that was the original plan last year, until Punk walked out.

Wyatt vs Taker could be interesting, but I feel like Taker should've retired after the loss last year. He's not in wrestling shape anymore (hasn't been for awhile really) and the streak is dead.

I still think what they should have done is not have a match announced. Then Sting vs HHH is happening with HHH having the upper hand (maybe the authority is interfering). All of a sudden GONG and the deadman comes out and together him and Sting take out the authority, Sting pins HHH and we get to see Taker and Sting shake hands in the ring. Great Wrestlemania moment :)

Because I still hear people going "I want to see Taker vs Sting at Wrestlemania"...no you don't, that wouldn't be a good match and no matter what happens you will be disappointed.

• Like 1

Just gonna say it: this was the single most poorly constructed PPV I've ever seen in my 25 year lifespan.

Also, there were more verbal botches than ever, such as "the winners and STILL new WWE Tag Team Champions...!", and "this bout is for the WWE ... Women's Championship...". 

Even more from the commentators; JBL was absent for 90% of the matches.

Edited by KitsuneChaos

Exactly!!  Reigns and Lesnar are both guys who need someone to carry them, they're not ring leaders.  The WM main event is going to have to find a way to tell a good story because the odds of the ring work being up to par are next to nothing.

And I swear, if they do Bryan/Shaemus instead of Bryan/Ziggler I will cancel my subscription.  NXT would be the only thing worth holding on to and it's on Hulu.