Tips for trophy hunting beginners!

razt99

Your 99.4% completion would disagree.

No, it wouldn't. I've had my account for close to 8 years now, and I don't buy that many games per year (I'm quite picky with games). Also, I enjoyed getting every single platinum and 100% on my list as I always take my time with trophies, and tend to only go for the platinum whenever I've already finished my first playthrough or in the mood to do so.

I think the fact it took me 5 years to platinum Far Cry 2 shows that I think it's best to chip away at long-winded trophies when the feeling strikes.  

It comes down to the way you want to play really. Do you want to just collect trophies or be a completionist?

Trophy hunting can be a pain in the ass sometimes when it comes to huge grinds. Many people would stop when it becomes a burden....but I myself like seeing a game 100% done. It's never to show off to people, it's for myself.

Enjoyment is the 1 major thing you need. Sure, there are some games that started to get so boring etc, but all the games on my list are ones I wanted to play and complete.

Check out the lists before you decide to get a game. I will never touch a game that is now impossible to obtain 100% due to servers going down etc.

How can anyone eat Hot Pockets? They burn the shit out of my mouth.

Anyway, without reading the thread, I'm sure there are a bunch of "play for fun" suggestions, which is true, but if trophies are your aim, I would suggest making sure that you mix up easy, quick plats with harder, more fun plats. I usually have day-long streaks of silly kid's games, to stoke my interest n trophies again.

Another thing to do is to try and find something relatively unique to your experience to work for. Maybe a daily trophy streak? Or a certain type of trophy (or genre of game) that you are expert in? In short, try to make the trophy hunting itself fun, and you'll last longer.

Enjoy!

Edited by starcrunch061

I find that playing through the first time with my nose to my phone or a checklist kills the enjoyment faster than anything else.  I always try for a blind play through now, and then I'll go back and worry about collectibles and missables.  Usually you have to do a 2nd or 3rd run anyway, so you might as well enjoy one of them.  A lot of guides recommend doing all the grindy annoying stuff first, then doing a speed run, but then you don't enjoy either one as much.  Don't be afraid to take a break, if a game requires multiple runs or grinding.  Play till you get bored, work on something else, you can always come back later.  Also, if a game sucks, walk away, don't push it or it'll affect your motivation.

Good luck and have fun.

As others have stated, just play what interests you the most. Don't worry whether a game has a Platinum or not. I'm telling you that the majority of the time most games without a Platinum attached to its list turn out endlessly more enjoyable and I'd play them any day over most games that have Platinums.

SOMA, Outlast, Race the Sun, The Walking Dead Season 2, etc... All those games are masterpieces in my eyes.

I have a high completion percentage because I only play games that I'm interested in. I don't mind hunting down trophies since that is the case.

At the end of the day, you are the one looking at your trophy collection ;).

Edited by SongsOnRepeat

most of the platinums are pain even if you enjoy the game. I faced that for all Borderlands platinums even though I like the games. You may want to focus on your overall completion %, having it above 50% with more than half a dozen games can already be impressive.

and to protect your family life, I would say if you play with people around you, play stories, and focus on grinding / farming when your family is out or sleeping.

I know I may not have the most prestigious trophy record in the world, and my trophy percentage is quite low (58.22%) with a backlog that doesn't even include the massive amount of games that I haven't put on my console, but trophy hunting has sort of become another job to me. The thought of trophy hunting being another job does bother me from time to time, and it does make me question my sanity. My friends and parents always criticize me on how stupid it really is, and sometimes it is, going for an award that has no value behind it. Yet, I still find value in trophy hunting. Being awarded for my accomplishments, no matter how ridiculous some of them are, has always scratched that addictive itch that keeps me constantly coming back. It's literally one of the only things that I've been proud of in my life, when I'm not doubting my decisions, and I will continuously strive to acquire both 100% completion and become number one in the world, no matter how incredible that feat may seem. 

This is what trophy hunting does to some people. Their obsessive-compulsive disorder kicks in, and they torture themselves throughout the process. Luckily, I've been able to combat my displeasure and have been fighting against it for years, always willing to keep going. This is just my story. There are many other people out there like this, and some have successfully quit due to the addictive nature. I unfortunately can't, and I'm too far sucked in to be brought back up to the surface. I advise you to approach with caution when starting up the process of trophy hunting, as you could be brought down with ease like some other people. Play the games you want to play, rather than almost every single game on the market with trophies. If you don't care about 100% completion rating, then your life is made easier. If you don't care about your completion rating in general, then even more power to you. You don't have to get a Platinum trophy in every game that you get, and there's this thing called "playing games for fun, not trophies"; you should try that. If you do become addicted, then balance yourself. Not everyone lives like the prestigious trophy powerhouses out there, so be reasonable with your time, and if you have to, put restrictions on yourself. Trophy hunting can be a nuisance, but with tweaks to the formula and your life, it can be pretty fucking enjoyable. 

it's not necessarly true,    my niece like to watch me play easy games,  I did Hannah Montana cuz she was a fan,  but she also like to watch other games like  Up, and Megamind   some games that there was a movie.   You play for someone,  and you get the trophies for it!

My daughter tried that crap with me! Know what I did? I made her a profile in her name. And when she played the game and realized how bad it sucked, she got her first lesson as a trophy hunter; persevere to plat OR trash can that garbage! She still hasn't gone back to it.

So "I did it for my daughter" doesn't really hold water.

Honestly, I would do whatever floats your boat. If getting easy games and platting them is going to be fun for you, then you should do that.  If playing "better" games and getting trophies without a guide is fun, do that. If someone gets a rush out of platting Hannah Montana (or even a Telltale game), more power to them.

At the end of the day, gaming is a hobby for the vast majority of us.  Do whatever feels right for you, especially if you want to get into trophy hunting, where the reward isn't going to mean much to anybody but yourself and other trophy hunters.  I just started to get into trophy hunting since December, and its allowing me to replay games that I walked away from, actually try PS Plus games before ragging on them, and take a fresh look at my backlog of games. After getting my 2nd Plat, it has grown on me and it's something I want to do more often.  The best part of it is that it is allowing me to replay games I enjoyed and have a "reason" to do so. 

In short, have fun, do what feels right for you, and don't worry about others "telling" you what to play! 

Here are my two cents:

1.- Don't get addicted to 100%ing and/or getting platiniums just for the sake of it, it's just like putting a chain around your neck, tying this chain to a big pole and trying to eat and drink confortably while sitting on a table..

2.-Don't get the "Shao Kahn" or "Goro" syndrome or attitude for the number of trophies or the rank you have (people does not like it and there is people more skilled than you in a determined genre of games).

3.-Balance your trophy hunting with other activities in your life.

4.- Play games and/or series that you like/enjoy.

5.- If you have played an "x" title on the PS3 and/or Vita, don't buy it for the PS4 (unless you are plenty sure of acquiring it). I personally would not buy a remastered title for PS4 that i already played on the PS3: Waste of money and time (?did you hear that Kratos, Death and Drake?)

6.- Mix the games you are playing to avoid "burning" in one single title and/or focus on specific trophies that you think you can achieve because they are fun or quick to get.

7.- If you like a game and you are not concerned on the "completionist" or "platinum" terms, then get it and get all the trophies you want from it  even if you can't get all because some options are not available, you can't buy certain DLC's or the servers are shut down.

8.- I know is satisfying to see your user name climb on rank, get more points, achieve certain milestones or getting a platinum and showing it to everybody, but don't forget the cardinal rule every gamer should follow: PLAY FOR FUN AND ENJOY THE GAME.

9.- Go outdoors once every 2 or 3 days.

10.- Get along, talk and interact with your family. In a situation when you have to decide betwwen your family and a gaming session, go with your family, you can turn on that console in other ocassion.

P.D You can see my profile, is everything but impressive (only 2 plats and the possibility to get 5 more in less than 1 or 2 days). I get satisfaction from earning trophies, points and getting close to the next rank, i also like to check the "rariness" of the trophies i earn but, considering the addictive nature of this activity, i get to do other stuff besides playing and that gets me distracted, less stressed and more relaxed.

Edited by Vampirehunter145
  • Like 2

Always remember that games were made as entertainment and to be enjoyed. The minute you're not having fun because you're agonizing over that trophy, you defeat the purpose of games. Your trophy list is more an accomplishment for yourself. Be proud of it how ever you want and work on it however you want, but always keep in mind not to get obsessed over it.

And looking up missable trophies is always good, yes. 'Specially for longer games you enjoyed, but don't want to start a second playthrough of because it was so long.

Just a few tips:

1. Play for fun, but realize that sometimes there will be very annoying/difficult trophies. With these, the best thing to do is to work on it slowly until you've managed to get it. 10 minutes every day is better than 1 hour once a week.

2. Balance this with everything else in your life. Pretty obvious one.

3. This ties in with #1, but it's ok to take a break,or stop completely if you're really not enjoying it. Ultimately, this is for you and your free time, use it however you want to.

Also, feel free to get active around here. There's plenty of people here who are willing to help if you ever have any troubles (and you will at some point, I'm willing to bet).