Let's talk about console exclusives... and how dumb

jackmadrox

Seriously, when I had a 360 back in the day, The Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead series were my favorites. After 3 Xboxes red ringed on me, I said fuck Microsoft and went back home to Sony PlayStation.

But... this whole "exclusives" nonsense... all it is, is a big bummer. I've watched gameplay on YouTube for Dead Rising 3, and it looks awesome. I don't know what's happening with L4D3, but it's been awhile since L4D2 came out. But even if L4D3 does get made and released, it would be just for Xbox right? How stupid is that? And why release Dead Rising 2 as a multiplatform and then release a 3rd entry in the series going back to being an exclusive??! It's just so frustrating. I love zombie games. But we don't have alot of them for PS4. I'm thinking of trying out Dying Light, but I don't know. I might wait for Killing Floor 2 to hit, or try Zombie Army. Bit of a rant, sorry.

Eh, it's been going on since the first generation of consoles in the early to mid 70's so I don't really expect it to change any time soon. Besides, each progressive generation gets less and less exclusive anyways. And just to clarify, I do wish there weren't exclusives as I would love to be able to pick a system based on what it offers as an overall package and still be able to get every game I want for it.

Oh and yeah, Dead Rising 3 is pretty fun, my favorite of the series.

Edited by BardinAeducan

In general opinion, when it comes to game systems, the exclusives will be a big deal maker for me. Kingdom Hearts III was why my brother bought a PS3 back in 2011 (and sadly, it's no longer for this gen and won't be PS4 exclusive), but I still stuck with PS3 because the exclusives were more interesting for me than the 360. Though I now have both a PS3 and a 360 (specifically for Halo 3 and Lost Odyssey, both 360 exclusives at the time), I still play more PlayStation to this day.

Edited by RedWaterAngel

Exclusives used to be the highlight of each individual console. They are now a symbol of what individual consoles lack, in my opinion. Competition between Sony and Microsoft should be good for us (the gamers) but over the past several years, it's been hurting us. This has to do with the continuation of "popular" series which should have ended years ago. Many developers/publishers like sticking to their cash cows like squeals and remakes instead of branching off to new territory. I've noticed a lot of developers are leaning away from the exclusive games because of the profit margin selling across the board instead of selling to one console. I'm hoping Valve chooses to sell L4D3 across the board (unless they have some contract pertaining to L4D with Microsoft that I'm not aware of). 

I don't get console exclusive games. Are these companies not interested in doubling or tripling their profit by releasing them on Playstation, XBOX and PC. I could understand it somewhat for last the last generation as the PS3 had very different hardware to the other 2 but this generation they all have pretty much the same hardware.

I understand why people don't like exclusives, but there would be no competition without them. For example, the PS4 and Xbone are very similar hardware. The only reason one would buy one console over the other is exclusives. If you could play all the games on one console, who in their right mind would buy the weaker console?

Microsoft wouldn't stand a chance, and Sony would have a monopoly on console gaming. Which would be horrible. Exclusives are necessary to keep consoles in the competition.

I understand why people don't like exclusives, but there would be no competition without them. For example, the PS4 and Xbox One are very similar hardware. The only reason one would buy one console over the other is exclusives. If you could play all the games on one console, who in their right mind would buy the weaker console?

Microsoft wouldn't stand a chance, and Sony would have a monopoly on console gaming. Which would be horrible. Exclusives are necessary to keep consoles in the competition.

Not everyone automatically goes for the most powerful system since there are still several other factors excluding power and games that could determine whether a person bought a particular console or not so I don't think it's really true that Microsoft "wouldn't stand a chance". I mean some of the reasons I've personally seen are which controller a person likes better (i.e. size of controller or thumb stick placement), which company is on better financial footing (kind of rare but I've still seen it a few times), the fact Microsoft is an American company or that Sony is a Japanese company. There's also just brand loyalty, though some of that could be because of previous exclusives so it's impossible to say if that would still be a factor if every game came out for both systems. Probably the second or third biggest reason that I think is usually seen is which console a person's friends have. I'm sure there are probably other reasons too but that's all come to mind without really trying.

Not everyone automatically goes for the most powerful system since there are still several other factors excluding power and games that could determine whether a person bought a particular console or not so I don't think it's really true that Microsoft "wouldn't stand a chance". I mean some of the reasons I've personally seen are which controller a person likes better (i.e. size of controller or thumb stick placement), which company is on better financial footing (kind of rare but I've still seen it a few times), the fact Microsoft is an American company or that Sony is a Japanese company. There's also just brand loyalty, though some of that could be because of previous exclusives so it's impossible to say if that would still be a factor if every game came out for both systems. Probably the second or third biggest reason that I think is usually seen is which console a person's friends have. I'm sure there are probably other reasons too but that's all come to mind without really trying.

That's true. But how long would Xbone survive based solely on it's controller, that only some people enjoy more? You can say "Oh all my friends play on it." But without exclusives, what would originally draw your friends to that console?

Either way, one console would eventually die. The other would have a monopoly. Everyone loses.

• Like 1

Ehh it's business. As long as there will be competition between consoles there will be exclusives. Have you tried Last Of Us? 

Ugh. Yes I tried to play TLOU but it was too boring for my taste. I couldn't even get through it. TLOU in my opinion is way way way overated.

if there's no Half-Life 3 then there's not going to be a Left 4 Dead 3

Why do you say that? Left 4 Dead is a very successful series. Why wouldn't they make more sequels? Do they not like money or something?

Ugh. Yes I tried to play TLOU but it was too boring for my taste. I couldn't even get through it. TLOU in my opinion is way way way overated.

Why do you say that? Left 4 Dead is a very successful series. Why wouldn't they make more sequels? Do they not like money or something?

Cause Valve can't count to 3. It's been well documented.

Seriously, when I had a 360 back in the day, The Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead series were my favorites. After 3 Xboxes red ringed on me, I said fuck Microsoft and went back home to Sony PlayStation.

But... this whole "exclusives" nonsense... all it is, is a big bummer. I've watched gameplay on YouTube for Dead Rising 3, and it looks awesome. I don't know what's happening with L4D3, but it's been awhile since L4D2 came out. But even if L4D3 does get made and released, it would be just for Xbox right? How stupid is that? And why release Dead Rising 2 as a multiplatform and then release a 3rd entry in the series going back to being an exclusive??! It's just so frustrating. I love zombie games. But we don't have alot of them for PS4. I'm thinking of trying out Dying Light, but I don't know. I might wait for Killing Floor 2 to hit, or try Zombie Army. Bit of a rant, sorry.

So wait, you are okay with a console exclusive PlayStation game but not a potential Xbox console exclusive one?

With some exceptions here and there, exclusives are actually good for the industry. In most cases it's not a question of "do we make this game cross-platform or exclusive" but rather "do we make this game exclusive or not at all". Take Bayonetta 2 for example, i'd rather have it exist as a Wii U exclusive than not existing at all, which is what would have happened if Nintendo hadn't funded it.

I understand why people don't like exclusives, but there would be no competition without them. For example, the PS4 and Xbone are very similar hardware. The only reason one would buy one console over the other is exclusives. If you could play all the games on one console, who in their right mind would buy the weaker console?

This is pretty much what I wanted to say.

As much as I don't care about Xbone and whole MS gaming branch, if exclusives did not exist, MS gaming branch would go bankrupt because there would be no reason to buy MS console. 

And if that happened, would Sony really have any reason to improve their consoles?

I mean, the sole reason they are putting everything to PS4 is because it's flopping in Japan they want to obliterate Xbone in 8th generation completely.

o I don't think it's really true that Microsoft "wouldn't stand a chance". 

But it's a fact. This generation is proving it more than enough. If PS4 is selling approximately 2 times (presuming Xbone really has 17M and not under 15M), it means that people choose PS4.

As for the controller, the winning... okay, let's say Sony, could produce the MS setup (most stupidest thing ever btw xD) as a new controller and gain some more money.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

I don't get console exclusive games. Are these companies not interested in doubling or tripling their profit by releasing them on Playstation, XBOX and PC.

Most of the exclusives right now are developed by 1st party companies. Exclusives made by 3rd party developers are really rare right now, and they are mostly timed most of the time.

While some people might not like them, exclusive, are the game changer for some people. Back in the day, you wanted to play Final Fantasy? Go buy PS1/2. Now SONY has Uncharted, GoW, GT, etc. And they are huge franchises that I don't think are hurting from not selling on other platforms.

Now, when talking about 3rd party exclusives, I agree most of the time they aren't worth it, with a few exceptions.

• Like 1

Now, when talking about 3rd party exclusives, I agree most of the time they aren't worth it, with a few exceptions.

Pretty much this, I've notice many indie developers don't even talk about sales this gen compared to seventh gen. It's very weird. I guess it due to MS and Sony funding the remaining cost so out of respect, the developers don't talk about how much was sold. Examples like SOMA, we heard it sold 120k copies in its first week being released on PS4 and Steam, after that, nothing. All I know is, according to steam-spy, SOMA steam version is sitting around 118k. With no news on how the PS4 version sold, we will never know if the 3rd party exclusive deal was profitable FGames (The developers of SOMA).

Well, considering Valve are the publishers of the Left 4 Dead series and they've got that whole Steam thing going on, I sincerely doubt they're struggling for money. 

I had a feeling you'd say that. You seem more into the zombies games where you take on wave after wave of zombies. It comes down to taste I suppose! 

• Like 1

If the gaming industry wasn't run by business, money, profit, greed, etc,,, yardy yarda.. we'll see all gaming companies come together and produce the most spectacular games we could ever imagine. Cross-overs, non exclusives, I know it's a fantasy, but thats my fantasy I would love to live in. 

• Like 1