Regale your hardcore efforts

Sir_Bee

Gonna necro this thread for my own story. Had made a save at Chapter 8, got all the way to Chapter 12 and was doing great. I had a ton of health kits and lots of ammo for all four of my guns, and I was ready to take on the drill trip easy peasy. My next save was going to be in Chapter 13 too, because I was very tired of having to do 8 and 9 over and over again.

Activated the drill, and while it was getting turned around I ran into it. Dead instantly. 

I was so mad. But on the upside, I was able to get through 8 and 9 without getting even hit once, so that's something. Finished hardcore today, so I'm ready to pew pew my way to platinum.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 5:09 AM, SpaceCoresDad said:

Gonna necro this thread for my own story.

Dont worry, this thread is all about Necros. ;) .  Im doing my HC run now but I am doing a Zealot side run to practice the tricky HC areas.  I initially keep getting wasted in HC too soon but doing a Zealot side run helps ALOT.  Thus far I have made my first save just before the end of Ch.8.  The flying part.  I had a bit of trouble with that so I wasn't risking it.  Also plan on making a video of trouble spots in the game with alternate ways to beat certain areas.  7 years later I finally picked the game back up for some reason.  Maybe that im getting older I have the experience and patience now.  But their is only a short window now that I am 46. 

Will get back to this thread if I dont get smashed to pieces. :P

Edit:  Saved just before the Decontamination Room in Ch.10. One more save left , better play wisely.

Edited by BemusedNContused
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Things have been going ok for the moment I guess.

My first death came just seconds after the beginning of the game, during the chase.

I then proceeded to make an early first save, at the end of Chapter 3. That's because I spent a solid hour farming the power node glitch in Chapter 1, and certainly didn't want to do it all over again. Having a maxed out character (RIG + stasis + 3 DLC weapons) almost from the start helps tremendously, and I can't recommend it enough.

I then died stupidly in chapter 6, in the big room with lots of leapers, reinforcing my opinion that leapers are the absolute worst and most dangerous enemies in this game.

I started over and things were looking great, but I was really nervous to tackle the free fall section at the end of Chapter 7 after the solar panels, so far from my first save. Sure enough, my nerves failed me and I crashed into a wall, much to my dismay.

I had to start over from chapter 3, yet again, and successfully made it through that dreaded part on my second try. My second save was just made at the end of Chapter 8, right before the garbage disposal part and 10 minutes max from Chapter 9, which was my initial goal.

Next week I'll be attempting to push till the end of Chapter 13 and the eye surgery. A bit of a stretch, but we'll see.

Edited by JeManquedHygiene

I just made my third save about 30% into chapter 13, so a little bit behind what was planned. It was a good call since I ran completely out of ammo during the latter part of the chapter and got killed by a black monster.

I died about 3 or 4 times in chapter 9 for stupid reasons, twice because I didn't make it on time to the tramway before the explosion (kept trying to go the wrong way, not my proudest moment), and once because I got too close to one of those big tentacled monsters on the wall. Can't remember last death. I didn't die from chapter 10 onwards, but finished the drill section with exactly zero medkit and VERY low health, and was on the verge of a heart attack.

EDIT : aaaand got it ?

Edited by JeManquedHygiene
  • Like 1

Reading through some of these has given me the guts to try it, since HC is the only trophy I have left until Platinum - already bracing myself to die and get frustrated xD Just recently picked up DS1 and DS3 (got DS2 randomly from a friend in 2015 and sadly didn't give it much attention since, though I played it a ton then; idk why, DS has become one of my top favorite series) Anyway, just cleared DS3 on Impossible/Classic/Hardcore (my one and only HC death was at Chapter 16, was very soul crushing, but I continued onward) Needed to take a break from DS3 after all that, so, I figured that I would finally give DS2's hardcore a go before moving on to DS1's trophies ugh the turrets. Before I played DS3, I replayed 2 on a Survivalist NG+ as a refresher, since it has been like 4 years since I last played it, and then did Zealot, so I hope that prepped me a little for some of the trouble areas. But I agree with the above person's sentiments; Leapers are such pests! It honestly feels like they get more aggressive in each game; they just don't leave you alone in 2 and don't want to ever die in 3.

Anyway, decided to go ahead and do the node dupe glitch, so I maxed my RIG/Stasis/Plasma Cutter/Line Gun with like 70~ to spare, which should really help out for the first big chunk of the game to get to my second save. Time got away from me tonight since I started it too late and I decided to just do my first save after the first bench; I know it's really early for a first save (was hoping to do it before the Stalkers in the Church if I wasn't doing the dupe) but I didn't think I had the energy to play it that long tonight and didn't want to redo the node thing in case I died in the next area, since I can't remember what is just ahead.

Still not settled on where to do my second save; probably before the long glowstick hallway of the Ishimura with the two brutes, as I don't recall having too much trouble in Zealot until that segment, or maybe at the elevator with the tripods. But ugh not looking forward to the endgame segments; never was a fan of the drill/government sector - usually devolves into spamming stasis and rushing past everything. But his isn't a very planned playthrough...maybe I should do a parallel run through of a Zealot or Survivalist file again to get a feel of what to expect in each segment. Guess only time will tell lol Let's see how this goes tomorrow; will be sure to update on it here as I marathon it. Wish me luck!

So I started off bad; played like I had no fingers and was wasting too much ammo in the TST room in chapter 2 with the exploders - threw one of their packs too close and took unnecessary damage, so I just quit and loaded it back up before I wasted any more time on that. Still used to DS3s controls (dodging...) and keep forgetting that I can spam reload in 2 without wasting ammo.

I then proceeded to die in the room with the first vacuum window so soon after the bench; I shot the window to suck the enemies out, but then I had closed it too soon and most of them were still alive, and I stood around like an idiot, got attacked by one of the children, and then got my head ripped off by a slasher, of all things. So lame. But then I made my second save before the elevator fight, because I had to go have dinner and my PS3 is set to turn off after 20min. So yeah, I hated saving so soon (was wanting to go to at least the Ishimura), but I had no other choice :/ I only died once so far, at least, and it was super avoidable and careless, as I was still getting into the swing of things. 

But I was doing fine after that, no bad moments, but THEN I got to like chapter 8 and got sucked out that one window after the room with the Divider. I thought I could shoot it safely from the elevator, but NOPE - the angle was crap so I couldn't get a good shot in at the button to close it, so I got sucked right out. Oh well... And the lame thing was I shot it so that I wouldn't have to worry about that exploder accidentally setting it off pfft I knew those windows were gonna be run killers; I hate them, so cheap - so glad they're only in DS2.

Hopefully things go better next time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Decided to try again before quitting for the night, and I made my way without incident to Chapter 11; I decided to use my last save right after I got the Advanced Suit. I know the Government Sector is annoying, but I don't mind having to start here if I decide to play like trash and die at the final boss or something; beats having to redo the Ishimura and mine should I accidentally perish and have to repeat that all (also the fact that I've spent many an hour on this session and need to sleep). I wish I had done my first or second save further than I did, but not because I was struggling, but because of how long I have to play per sitting. At least my two deaths so far were easily avoidable/careless (both due to those vacuum windows). Anyway, here's to hoping I can get that Platinum tomorrow :) 

btw, Hardcore isn't actually that bad at all, for those still on the fence about it, especially compared to Zealot, it's just the saving structure that makes it so, and you might start playing poorly because of the pressure to not die xD Just be prepared to spend like 5+ hours per session, brace yourself in case you have to redo a section, and make sure your PS3 isn't set to turn off in the Power Saving settings so that you can take breaks, oh, and don't mess around with those dumb breakable vacuum windows.

Edited by Natakiro

And I just got it :D Surprised how smooth everything went in the Government Sector; had no problems at all this time. Guess the threat of dying and having to redo it increased my skills lol So I made my way from Chapter 11 (before the drill segment) to the end and it only took around an hour. My saves were in really bad places in hindsight (since I couldn't recall what exactly was ahead and feared dying, so I ended up saving early each time), but luckily the only two deaths in the whole playthrough were from two vacuum-window incidents, so the saves weren't an issue. 

Anyway, soooo glad I have that platinum now! Time to go for the plat in DS1.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just got it! Man, that's something I don't wanna go through ever again. Died lots of times. I'll post the most interesting ones. Here goes:

1st run, Chapter 1: In morgue, a Puker got to close, I panicked, killed it & it was an instant death.

2nd run, Chapter 2: In laundry room, monsters ganged up on me & killed me.

3rd run, 1st save: At the beginning of Chapter 6.

3rd run, Chapter 6: In the foaier, 3 Leapers rushed me & killed me in mater of seconds.

3rd run, Chapter 6: In the gym, forgot to dismember all dead bodies, when I killed all the Pack & Crawlers, an Infector appeared out of nowhere and made a Super Slasher. Super Slasher got to close (I didn't have time to react) & killed me.

3rd run, Chapter 7: In watchman's room (in the kitchen) & this is embarrassing, I saw medium med pack on the counter, got to close & Cyst killed me (& I didn't even saw it or heard it).

3rd run, Chapter 8: In the 2nd room after the 1st save point in the chapter (the room with power node door), 2 Slashers & 1 Super Slasher ganged up on me & killed me.

3rd run, 2nd save: At the beginning of Chapter 10.

3rd run, Chapter 10: In the hallway after the decontamination room, monsters ganged up on me & killed me.

3rd run, Chapter 11: In the big mine area, an Exploder came from behind & killed me.

3rd run, 3rd & final save: At the beginning of Chapter 13.

3rd run, Chapter 14 (multiple deaths): In the Zero-G chamber, Nest kept spawning those red things & they kept pushing me into the fire from the engines (several times, I was too slow to react).

3rd run, Chapter 15 (2 deaths): In the flying section after the final Boss, died by hitting a 2nd pipe (I didn't see there was a gap in the middle of the pipe).

Edited by kenseizenkai

• 3 months later...

I managed to earn this trophy in December 2011 while documenting the whole process live during a Let's Play. The whole thing is in French but if it can be of any help to anyone to tackle some of the hardest encounters, I'm leaving the link to the playlist below:

I did die twice during the Let's Play.

• Like 1

Booted this up for the first time in 4 years this weekend and decided to give Hardcore another go. Started a playthrough on Zealot first to practice and got to chapter 5 where I intended to put my first save. Started HC and ended up putting my first save down at the end of chapter 3 before the random spawn in the lobby. A lot earlier than I'd like but I'd read a few guides that actually suggested the first save be there so I feel okay about it. It also means I don't have to deal with the anxiety of starting the game from the very start if I die, which I think will help a lot. I intend to put my next save down at chapter 8.

Will play some more this coming weekend and will continue to play Zealot first and then switch over so all the enemy encounters are fresh in my mind. I'll be so happy if I can finally get this platinum. 9 years in the making.

• Like 2

Played some more this weekend and got to my second save although yet again, I played it safe and saved a few rooms before I intended to. I was going to save at the very start of chapter 8, after leaving the transport hub but my god, it took me several hours to get where I was and I didn't want to throw it all away. I saved right before aligning the solar arrays. I'm pretty well upgraded but even with a full rig one little mistake on that freefall section could have fucked me so I opted to play it safe and save before.

Time wise, alligning the solar arrays, doing the freefall and then dealing with the necromorphs at the transport hub should only take 10 mins so if I end up dying I won't mind doing that again.

Haven't died yet so fingers crossed I can make it to save 3 in chapter 12 with no hitches.

Going straight to Hardcore after a year without playing was fun.

In my very first attempt at the mode I died in the first chase scene. Twice. Lovely.

During my first run I died in chapter 3 in my first encounter with the pack. I underestimated how many they were and faced them with little ammo. Isaac was no match for seven hungry children. 

By now I already had relearned the controls so I was totes ready for a serious attempt. Since I didn't want to use the glitch my weapons were the plasma cutter and the bonus seeker rifle. All money was for health, Cutter ammo and nodes. 

Save 1, Attempt 1

Used my first save at chapter 5 before the tormentor drags you. I had a feeling that room was dangerous and I was right. I died here overwhelmed by more hungry children and a few necros. 

Save 1, Attempt 2

Made it to chapter 7 and completed the elevator section with the tripods easily. I was excited because I recalled hearing a lot of people dying here. Only to step on a blister outside the elevator and dying. 

Save 1, Attempt 3

Lots of close calls but I managed to make it all the way to chapter 9. At which point I had an almost maxed out RIG and Plasma Cutter.

Save 2, Attempts 1 to 8~

My second save was halfway through chapter 9. I wanted to save it until I made to the Ishimura but my judgment was right. Before the tripod boss fight at the end of the chapter there is are room with stalkers, blisters, exploders and a guardian at the end. I died about 7 times here give or take. This room isn't difficult but you have to be extremely careful, go slow and kill everything here. Rushing this part is suicide.

Save 2, Attempt 8~

Completed the Ishimura and ditched the seeker rifle for the Contact Beam as it was time to start upgrading it. One or two close calls but nohing terrible as I made it to chapter 12. 

Save 3, Attempt 1

I used my last save before the dreaded drill ride. I realized what a waste it was since the ride was easier than I remembered. I went in with 20 health kits, three stacks of Plasma Cutter ammo and barely got hit. Didn't even need to use the Contact Beam, only the Cutter. Chapter 13 was scary due to the amount of enemies so I got hit a lot and ended up using most of my resources but I managed to make my way through. Made it to the end but I unfortunately died to the eye poke machine and I'm still not sure how I fucked it up but oh well.

Save 3, Attempt 2

This was the golden run. I found the drill ride even easier this time and got hit even less. Enemies dropped an insane amount of health packs and Contact Beam ammo. I speedran my way through chapter 13 using stasis on everyhting and only the Contact Beam for emergencies. Made it to eye poke machine, was even more careful and beat it. Same strategy for chapter 14 while ourunning the regenerator. Stasis and keep your health in green. Made it to the final store and bench. Sold my Plasma Cutter, fully upgraded the Contact Beam, went in chapter 15 with an inventory filled with health packs, 30+ CB ammo, and stasis packs. Same deal as before. Used most of my resources to make it to the boss and thanks to the Contact Beam the battle was over in 30 seconds. Escaped and survived the nightmare.

This was a fun mode, all things considered. If you need tips just ask me. 

• Like 3

Got my last save down tonight. Was going to save at the start of chapter 12 but I barely made it through the elevator ride at the end of chapter 11 when practicing on Zealot so I saved before that. It's only 5 minutes difference so again I don't mind. 

Haven't actually died yet which has definitely boosted my confidence. There's no escape now though, it's straigt to the end from here so wish me luck! 

And I did it! I've been putting this trophy off for 9 years, so glad to finally have it done. 

It was a good job I saved where I did because I died on the elevator ride right after my save. No harm done but it means I didn't manage a clean no death run.

I died again in chapter 13 in the spinning laser room. I used my force gun to knock back the exploding babies but this woke up the sleeping dark slasher. He somehow managed to dodge the lasers and came straight for me, I panicked and he got two hits in killing me. After that I died again on the elevator ride ? but after that I did it. 

Do not sleep on the javelin gun. I used the plasma cutter up to chapter 11 then respecced it to get my nodes back, sold it and fully upgraded the javelin. With the special upgrade your spikes explode and it kills everything in one hit. Ammo is the same cost as the PC too. 

Last boss against Nicole and the marker is a joke. I was damaging it so fast with the javelin not a single one of the pack reached me in time to hit me. 

What an amazing ride! I definitely stand by the start of the game being much harder than the later chapters. All because you have barely any resources and no upgraded stuff. Once you get upgraded and build a stockpile you never need to worry about running out of ammo or med packs. I still had like 80,000 at the end. 

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy the severed DLC. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

So, I got through the entirety of the game without dying except once in the middle of Chapter 13 but I saved just before so I was kinda fooling around in complacency. 

I got to the end and I beat Nicole pretty easily with my Contact Beam and Plasma Cutter. Just as the credits rolled and I had a sign of relief, I just had one more thing to do, the aerial escape. So I boosted all the way through and....

I HIT THE LAST PIECE OF ROCK AND DIED O_O.

I forgot about the obstacles that needed some maneuvering. Luckily I just have to do 3 full chapters but man do those chapter take some concentration and precision.

Laugh at my pain to feel better lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I have started hardcore mode aswell I spend a long time reading where to save exactly and all that. I planned a specific ways to encounter the enemies and to limit myself to only 2 guns so plasma cutter and force gun from the DLC. On my way to the first save I got very lucky with some close calls I can say it’s probably the most tricky part in the game cause you are still weak and can die in a matter of seconds so having to watch the open sequence at the start every time you die is a pain so do consider to take your time and rushing is a suicide! 

Save 1 death 1 In chapter 9 a dark slasher grabbed me and the exploder enemy triggered the vacuum window so yeah I died instantly I wanted to put my second save there and absolutely regret it bad mistake.

Save 1 death 2 In chapter 7 I died somehow at the freefall section crashed in the wall I laughed so hard about it such a stupid way to end a good run.

Save 1 death 3 In chapter 8 somehow those little octopus ganged on me I screamed and panicked spammed X even with full health still fucked it up cause I got caught off guard by the pregnant enemy she came silently to give me a hug ?

I managed to get to my second save at the beginning of chapter 9! But jeez going through that area in chapter 8 with all those grinders made my hands shake I'm pretty happy with my resources since I didn't do any glitch I still pulled off some of the fights with a consistent strategy because I practice on zealot aswell. I plan to make my final save at chapter 13 hopefully.

Going to take a little brake then I will update in the next days! It's a relief also to read some of peoples attempts here on the thread to not feel alone with my deaths lol.

Edited by NurseTatiana

This weekend seems to be good start for hardcore mode I just made my final save at chapter 13 a bit before the laser room. I wanted to save before the eye surgery but it’s not worth the risk to throw away 3h.

I almost screwed up in chapter 11 and 10 those dark slashers and leapers are the absolute pain they grabbed me once and almost died so I had to improvise a lot in some places with very low health. The drill ride at chapter 12 went pretty well with the force gun I knocked everyone off the platform easily.

But so far I have lot of health packs and money also sold the plasma cutter to fully upgrade the contact beam for the final boss and some others places before the end.

Save 2 no deaths.

Save 3 no deaths.

Pro tips from me:

1. Don’t rush at all move slowly and watch your back.

2. Practice on zealot.

3. Plan your saves carefully so you don’t have to backtrack too much.

4. Patience is the key you will die a lot keep that in mind before you even start this mode.

I got the trophy now!! Im so proud of this it was an amazing experience! Didn’t use any node glitch whatsoever the game is completely doable without it but the DLC guns helped a lot. Absolutely loved this game one of my top favourites survival horror so far. For final boss I used a fully upgraded contact beam I highly recommend it the fight ended in like 30 secs lol.

The hand cannon looks badass time for a little payback ?

Edited by NurseTatiana
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

Finally completed hardcore and got the platinum (after 10 years) ?

Have to admit I used the duplication glitch in chapter 1 as I was having stupid trouble just getting through the first few chapters (gave in after around 5 attempts at doing it legit).  After that it wasn't too difficult with only 1 death before my final save at chapter 11.  However the closer I got to the end the more I seemed to struggle to get to the finish line.

After final save:

1st attempt - died at the start of chapter 13 after getting myself cornered

2nd attempt - died in chapter 15 when I went the wrong way trying to run past all the enemies and they cornered me

3rd attempt - died in chapter 14 because I didn't go all the way through the one of the sliding doors in zero-g and got insta-killed when it closed

4th attempt - died to the lasers when I stomped a body that was sat just inside one of the shelter areas (this one really stung as I knew stomping the body would move Issac forward into the path of the lasers but did it anyway)

5th attempt - died to the QTE before the final boss because I forgot it wasn't a cutscene and stopped paying attention :facepalm:

Was a surprisingly enjoyable playthrough and I kinda want to play through it again without using the glitch.  Maybe some day...

Edited by number45_
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just got it !

1st run : Died to the prologue running part. 

2nd run : Same.

3rd run : Got to chapter 5, at the end when you fight the monster in space and finished the QTE, the game froze. Right before my first save in chapter 6.

4th run : Got to chapter 5, saved at chapter 5 because I was scared of a second glitch. Didn’t happened. Manage to get to chapter 9, got to the vaccum room in chapter 9, tried to say in the elevator to trigger it with getting caught, had bad positioning in the elevator then died. I planned to save chapter 10.

5th run (from chapter 5) : Got to chapter 10, saved in ishimura before the fights.

6th run (from chapter 10) : Got to chapter 13 made a save before the eye surgery. I kept going and finally finished it.

What I game really happy to overcome that challenge. So great to go into Zealot more with hand of god weapon

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

All these beautiful stories/disasters.  What an amazing experience when you don't cheat this mode.  Top 5 to 10 gaming setup/mode/gameplay/story in the last 15-20 years.  And you pu$%ies that have pushed the trophy all the way to just about 7% rarity.   What courage.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just got it and the memory is still fresh. Here's how it went.
Run #1: For some stupid reason I tried to do a node duplication glitch in Chapter 1, so I didn't have enough ammo and died at the Tripod Battle.
Run #2: At the end of Chapter 2, while Isaac is hanging from his leg, I run out of ammo and couldn't cut the Brute's arm.
Run #3: Chapter 1 Tripod battle again. I MISSED. EVERY. SINGLE. STASIS SHOT.
Run #4: Chapter 2 Laundry Room. I got overwhelmed and forgot to use stasis and force gun. Eventually a Slasher hit me one too many times.

Run #5: Made it to my first save point, the end of Chapter 5, before the Tormentor QTE. But I died from the Stalkers in Chapter 6. I had half HP and it took only one headbutt to end me.
Run #6: The Chapter 6 Stalkers again. I camped at a bad spot where I had to cover multiple sides.
Run #7: The Chapter 7 Window broke and I misjudged my aim, and couldn't shoot the switch.
Run #8: I finished the whole game. I saved at Chapter 9, before the Stalker+Guardian room because I was too tired to keep playing, and I didn't have enough HP, so I wanted to play it safe.

When inside the Ishimura, I fully upgraded my Javelin Gun and the rest of the game was a breeze. By using Force Gun and Javelin Gun I had no problems at all. My third save point was after letting the Necros in the building in Chapter 13.
I started the game with Plasma Cutter+Zealot Force Gun+Zealot Suit. I fully upgraded Stasis except recharge time, Plasma Cutter Damage, HP, Javelin Gun and ditched Plasma Cutter, and the rest on Force Gun, all in that order. I also bought the Vintage Suit and kept it for the rest of the game. I also kept the Contact Beam in my inventory just to sell it's ammo.

Edited by MortalGH11

• 4 weeks later...

I spent the better part of 6 hours today picking up my save from Zealot mode Chapter 1 New Game + and beat the game in essentially one sitting. After some dinner I decided to make a start on Hardcore mode.

1st Run: Used the node duplication glitch, managed to get 70 total and upgrade RIG, Stasis, Plasma Cutter to max. Unfortunately, I died at the end of chapter 2 to the brute in the hanging train sequence. I was too conservative with my bullets so I should have spammed his exposed weak spots?

I'm tired from playing DS2 all day so I'll be attempting this again tomorrow. Once again, I will use the node dupe glitch. I may consider making my first save just after the nope dupe glitch as I don't fancy doing that all over again if I happen to die.

I think the Ishimura is the hardest chapter in the game so I will absolutely making a save right at the beginning of that chapter to save myself the stress of the leapers in that big room, big brute room and the decompression room. Not to mention the corridor just outside the decompression room has got me killed more times than any other room in the Ishimura. 

2nd Run: I died against the enemy that rushes you when you acquire the stasis module. That dickhead is getting stomped to pieces next time I face him. Thankfully it's only 10 minutes into a new run so I don't feel that bad about losing that progress. 

3rd Run: Mr. dickhead got stomped on good! :spank:

Also, I made it to my first save! I decided to keep playing while retaining the nodes I duplicated which I spent about half an hour just duping up to 70 nodes and 10 semiconductors from the tripod boss. I was very concerned about dying to the tripod on the train sequence but it turns out I only needed 1 well placed shot. Turns out I missed my 3 shots in the 1st run :(

I found chapter 3 and 4 relatively easy but I was concerned about the pack swarm section as they can overrun you easily. Careful planning and backing the hell away from the fuckers helps a lot. I must admit the money I have in excess from the semi-conductors I duped in the beginning is being actively spent on Plasma Cutter ammo and overstocking my med kits in case of emergencies. 

My biggest fear was the first encounter with the Stalkers. I tend to rely on the Force Gun Alt fire or Detonator mines when I face then. As you don't get access to them until later I relied on watching a YouTube guide and used the javelins on the floor and quickly using kinesis on the fallen stalkers limbs to act as javelins to ground the remaining Stalkers running at me and pelt them with the Plasma Cutter as they are getting up. 

I wanted to make a save at the beginning of Chapter 5 but decided to get past the experimental lab section or whatever the heck it's called and make my save just before the church. Not a terribly difficult section but the quick time event where you get dragged as you enter the church is another stupid 1 hit KO moment if you miss your shots and I already have died to a similar moment back on my first run in Chapter 2 so I decided not to stretch my luck and just make my first save.

Currently have everything I want upgraded and have 30 spare Power Nodes for when I acquire the Contact Beam much later on. May pump some Nodes into the Line Gun, especially the Alt Fire for the Brute's later on. I'll see how I feel.

Will be trying my first run since making a save tomorrow and hoping to make a save just after setting foot on The Ishimura because I hate the thought of playing that chapter on Hardcore. :hmm:

3rd Run: Made it past the dreaded Chapter 7 Iron Man flying section. Nothing too hard aside from the careful navigating of 1 hit kill traps in the zero gravity section shortly afterwards. That part is awful if you are running low on Plasma Cutter ammo because of all the crates. 

Unfortunately I died somewhere in Chapter 8. Can't even remember where exactly as it was earlier today and I have made several attempts today.

4th Run: I made it to the section where you start chapter 9 and got bamboozled by a fucking swarm of the leapers. I hate this enemy with a burning passion. They are by far the most dangerous enemy on Hardcore and they like to 2 hit combo you for BIG DAMAGE ?. At this point I'm getting tired of having to play from the church section right up until Chapter 9. Having to do the free falling Iron Man flying section is always bothersome as one hit and I'm dead, thankfully this has not happened on Hardcore yet.

5th Run: I got past the leapers in Chapter 8 and made it to the save just before the Stalkers room. I got way too greedy and decided to press on knowing this is the hardest Stalker room section in the game. I beat all the Stalkers but died at the very last door in this room to the screaming fat piece of shit with tentacles (don't know it's name).

The fact I died was not that distressing as I got greedy and wanted to save right at the start of the Ishimura but instead it was the way I died. I killed the screamer and moved forward and got decapitated at full health! I don't even know what killed me as I killed the Screamer but maybe he still was dying out and I moved too quickly. The cheapest death I have had yet. Fuck one hit deaths.

6th Run: I made it to the save just before the Stalkers room and I took no chances and made my second save here. My goal was to make my second save right as soon as Chapter 10 begins but at this point I have been playing for 6 hours and I'm fed up of replaying half of the game over and over. 

This time I made it through Ishimura without dying! ? I have had a lot of practice because I have died so much in my previous playthroughs. The hallway just outside the decompression room was relatively easy as I didn't feel the need to turn left and get the Power Node. That made it a lot more bearable. 

Even the Leaper room was fine although I had a close call,the Contact Beam Alternate fire is a clutch weapon for these moments. 

Chapter 11 is full of tough enemies so I'm glad I made it through in 1 piece. Chapter 12 is a very short chapter but it's here where I died to the stupid vehicle when's it's turning around for Isaac to climb on. I should have been more aware this may happen but I have never been killed by it. I really hate the 1 hit KO sections in this game. Makes for a frustrating death every time it happens. 1 hit KO sections shouldn't be a thing in Hardcore. 

I will go back and try from the Stalker room save tomorrow and hopefully make it to just before the eye laser room. That is where my 3rd and final save will be as I am not confident in the laser eye section and will happily make a save there and play up until the end of the game. The end of the game is much easier now that I know to run past the many enemies in Chapter 14. I have a fully upgraded Contact Beam that obliterates the final boss and then all I got to worry about is that stupid 3D flying section just before the ending cut scene. If I die there, I will be mortified!

Quick note on my 3rd Run. I remember I died to the last vacuum room. That death really pissed me off because I was parralel to the glass wall, the shrieking Necromorph blew up, I got dragged away without even an opportunity to hit the red panel because of the angle I was at. Needless to say this one of the worst ways to get killed because it was not my fault at all and it's a 1 hit KO. :spank:

6th Run: This time I made sure to not take any chances and back far away from the drill machine. I even made it past the dreaded drilling sequence. I actually had a very close call at the end of Chapter 11 going up the lift then I did on the drill section in Chapter 12. The Detonator is truly terrible on moving on rails sections in this game. 

I skimmed through a YouTube video of Chapter 13 and I take back what I said about the Ishimura, Chapter 13 is the hardest one in the game....if you don't run past some enemies. That one room Adam Mcdermott in his video had trouble in was also one I completely forgot about and I died many many times to this room on prior difficulties. 

This time I tried to just rush through and use Stasis on the enemy blocking the doorway...and it worked! What a relief! Phew. ? The absolute shit biscuit on this Chapter is the 3 floor room with Elite's, Bombers and the Brute at the bottom. Again, I just shot the enemies in my way, used Stasis and ran past the first two floors. This truly is the best strategy in the later levels because the enemies are so bulky and the rooms are so narrow you can easily get ganged up on. The Plasma Cutter is beyond useless at this point too.

The laser eye room is actually easy if you rest your cursor on Isaac's eye and wait for the eye to come back to where your needle is. It's a pattern and not RNG from what I could tell. Unfortunately shortly after this this is where my run came to an end as I died to the stupid Zero G section just after getting chased by the regenerating boss.

I have never died before in this bit but of course I die to a 1 hit KO bullshit death. These deaths are just plain unfair in a mode with only 3 saves. I got hit by the enemy shooting missiles at me and the pushback got me trapped into a moving platform that squashed me. 

7th Run: I died in the exact room in the exact same sport in the exact same way :rolleyes:Fucking 1 hit KO's again!! I will need to watch a guide on this section because I'm dying to a part of the game I never struggled with before. :facepalm:

8th Run: I died to an enemy towards the end of Chapter 13. I've had enough for tonight. I'm rushing to my detriment to get this over with. I will hopefully only need to try 1 more time tomorrow and bag this Platinum tomorrow night after work. Still dreading the final flying Iron Man section after killing the final boss. I would rage if I die there I swear. Nearly there.

• Like 1