Indie title No Man's Sky set for june 21 at wait for it $59.99

Daniel_Shadow170

If you're going to bring that attitude here, I'd rather leave than become like "them".

The virtual door is only a click away; don't let us stop you. Seriously, shadowstrike has as much right to his opinion/questions as you have to yours.

Anyway, as to the general theme of this thread (and echoing my previous sentiments), no, I will not pay $60 for this game. As I said before, it still looks like an old game. Maybe an old, big game, but still old. It feels like $20, tops, although I personally think I'll find it for much cheaper before it's all said and done.

Does it matter that it is indie? Mostly yes. I wouldn't pay $60 for any game outside of my favorite series, and given that indie games rarely (if ever) publish sequels, obviously, the statement follows. 

However, as I've said before, I fully support other people buying this game at $60 (assuming it's good, which is not a given). It's your money - have at it. If the game is actually good, it benefits me in the end, anyway (although I do have to listen to the blathering about "How dare you not pay this price for a game simply because it's an indie!").

Not being funny... but I think it's fucking disgusting that people feel so entitled to indie games at a small price just because said developers aren't backed by a massive publisher. 

Yes - how dare people have expectations for their own purchases! The fact is, people can feel "entitled" to whatever they want for their own money. You have your money - spend it how you want, and let others do the same.

Edited by starcrunch061

Well, anyone expected otherwise?

But you actually pay for content... since this game has pretty much unlimited content, paying "only" 60 bucks is fairly good :P

I'm not interested in playing this game so to the original question, no, I will not pay that price. (Ignoring the fact I don't pay with bucks :awesome:)

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

I'm not interested in playing this game so to the original question, no, I will not pay that price. (Ignoring the fact I don't pay with bucks :awesome:)

The only way to win is not to play. I learned that from Ferris Bueller before he played with monkeys and watched someone get impaled by a sword while helping a hawke and wolf hook up.

The virtual door is only a click away; don't let us stop you. Seriously, shadowstrike has as much right to his opinion/questions as you have to yours.

Anyway, as to the general theme of this thread (and echoing my previous sentiments), no, I will not pay $60 for this game. As I said before, it still looks like an old game. Maybe an old, big game, but still old. It feels like $20, tops, although I personally think I'll find it for much cheaper before it's all said and done.

Does it matter that it is indie? Mostly yes. I wouldn't pay $60 for any game outside of my favorite series, and given that indie games rarely (if ever) publish sequels, obviously, the statement follows. 

However, as I've said before, I fully support other people buying this game at $60 (assuming it's good, which is not a given). It's your money - have at it. If the game is actually good, it benefits me in the end, anyway (although I do have to listen to the blathering about "How dare you not pay this price for a game simply because it's an indie!").

Yes - how dare people have expectations for their own purchases! The fact is, people can feel "entitled" to whatever they want for their own money. You have your money - spend it how you want, and let others do the same.

Expecting to pay less just because it's not publish by a massive publisher is a sense of entitlement.  The publisher shouldn't matter, the product should. 

Did you complain when Macklemore charged the same amount for his songs as Kanye West? 

Do you think he should charge 50% less because he's independent? 

Surely the only thing that matters is the quality of the product. 

Expecting the same quality product but for less money just because it's "indie" is just being silly. 

Well if a simple question offends you i don't know what to tell you i didn't say anything bad indies in this topic.

Its just how the world is now, people get offend so easily now.

It's a shame really.

That being said, I'll pick up NMS when its discounted on Black Friday here.

Well, anyone expected otherwise?

But you actually pay for content... since this game has pretty much unlimited content, paying "only" 60 bucks is fairly good :P

But that same logic can be applied to effectively any procedurally generated game.

In this scenario, you're paying for the algorithms they created to create this massive universe and the servers needed to keep it up.

Oh well, add me onto the list of people who don't care for this game. It seems to combine the worse of procedurally generated games with the weaknesses of a discovery game with the boring parts of a survival game. A giant soulless universe where you spend your life collecting resources to maybe survive and get the reward of exploring more soulless worlds. Oh well, never been a fan of the genres this game consists of.

• Like 1

Expecting to pay less just because it's not publish by a massive publisher is a sense of entitlement.  The publisher shouldn't matter, the product should. 

Did you complain when Macklemore charged the same amount for his songs as Kanye West? 

Do you think he should charge 50% less because he's independent? 

Surely the only thing that matters is the quality of the product. 

Expecting the same quality product but for less money just because it's "indie" is just being silly. 

I didn't complain about anything other than feeling disgust at other people's opinions on their own money. Of course, you are entitled to that disgust - that's not in question. I simply think it's horribly misplaced. I just can't let myself be bothered by what other people want to do with their own money.

Anyway, I'll let you have the last word - I've derailed this thread enough.

IF this!

"Hello Games co-founder, Sean Murray, explained that the development team started out using 32-bit numbers to generate the planets in the universe. Using the 32-bit formula, it would take somewhere between four and five thousand years to visit every planet in the game for just a one second stop on each. That sounds pretty massive to us, but the team wanted to go bigger.

By stepping the scale up to 64-bit numbers, the number of planets is increased roughly to 2 to the power of 64. That exponentially increases the scale of things and means that it would take roughly five billion years to visit each planet for one second. That may not be the traditional definition of infinite (as promised in the trailer), but it is likely closer than any other open-world came has come in the past."

is true

then its totally worth it... but only time will tell.

Oh well, add me onto the list of people who don't care for this game. It seems to combine the worse of procedurally generated games with the weaknesses of a discovery game with the boring parts of a survival game. A giant soulless universe where you spend your life collecting resources to maybe survive and get the reward of exploring more soulless worlds. Oh well, never been a fan of the genres this game consists of.

Agreed. I need more of a hook than simply "You do this, to be able to do more of this, whatever this is." That logic might work for games on phones, but it feels wrongheaded for console games.

Nope, but that has nothing to do with the studio.  I don't buy games for over $20, especially considering most games these days come down to or below that price point within 6 months of launch.

An indie label technically does mean an independent studio, however these days it's synonymous with inexpensive, usually digital, small scope titles.  However this game does not appear (on the surface anyway) to be small in scope or in any other way.  I don't care about it's VR potential, but the game itself does look interesting, but I'll definitely be waiting a few months past release to play it.

I honestly didn't ever think this would be anything less than $60. The stuff they've shown, and how big this game is supposed to be justifies the price. This will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Consider that Gone Home, a game that can be completed in 10 minutes, is going for $20. Yeah, I think a game this big should be going for 3 times that.

Will you pay 60 for indie's?

Why does it matter if it was independently developed or not???

I won't be buying it for 60USD, but it has nothing to do with the game, just that I don't pay 60 USD for a game.

Edited by MMDE

Wonder if this will be at Walmart around Midnight otherwise I might just wait until then and buy it otherwise I'll just preorder it from Amazon.
Normally I don't mind waiting too much on Amazon but I would go out buy this game already plan doing the same for Pokemon Sun & Moon and some other games.

I wouldn't mind paying $100AU for an indie title if it was something that interested me. I paid £50 for the order on launch date knowing it was only 8 hours, thoroughly enjoyed the game and never regretted it at all. 

As for this game I'm just not sold on it yet, all I have seen is look at this massive universe with loads of planets to explore. But is there anything to do on these planets? I just don't get it.