Capcom demotes World #1 for quitting to keep his score high

StrickenBiged

You monster! :P That was like Raul Julia's final acting role before he passed away, probably not how he'd like to be remembered. :P

I remember repressing this movie in the back of my mind as a kid and blaming it for his cause of death.

Why Capcom didn't have a mechanism in place to deter quitting in the first place makes absolutely no sense since they clearly made this about the MP experience from the start.

Edited by stitchesnscars
  • Like 1

He's playing pubs they have no rules nor is it a tournament and it's officially his game. Also stop calling it cheating he quit out of a match if that's cheating i guess every player has cheated.

Rules: Fight until you win or lose. Leaderboard makes it an ongoing tournament. It's cheating. Cheating = quitting to avoid taking a loss. Are you saying you quit to avoid taking loses? Then you're a cheater, too.

Yeah - I'm not sure what shadowstrike is so bothered about. Obviously, quits sometimes happen for unavoidable reasons. I have quit out of sessions/matches/etc. because of emergencies or whatnot. If there is some proof that this was the case here, that's one thing. But if the player had a history of quits, while behind, it's not ridiculous for Capcom to connect the dots (and honestly,I'm surprised they did - most of the time, these Japanese companies don't seem to care in the least about their products after they're released).

Rules: Fight until you win or lose. Leaderboard makes it an ongoing tournament. It's cheating. Cheating = quitting to avoid taking a loss. Are you saying you quit to avoid taking loses? Then you're a cheater, too.

I'll tell you right now don'tever call me a cheater that's not a road you want to take.

Edited by ShadowStrike002

He's playing pubs they have no rules nor is it a tournament and it's officially his game. Also stop calling it cheating he quit out of a match if that's cheating i guess every player has cheated.

What? Pubs most certainly have rules and Capcom has decided that one of those rules is you can't quit to keep your win streak/leaderboard position up. If it isn't cheating then what is it? Because it certainly isn't legitimate or he would still have his leaderboard position. 

Yeah - that was kind of a dumb comment (no offense to the mod). Obviously, an inability to share an opinion about someone simply because s/he isn't present is somewhat arbitrary.

How was that a dumb comment? If people wanted to share their opinions on Hakoom's credibility they were free to do that, but whenever his name comes up in this forum it goes to personal attacks and I'm not going to allow that. It is one thing to talk about someone when you have genuine evidence, like Capcom removing someone from a leaderboard, it is entirely different to talk about someones personal character, especially when they aren't here to defend themselves from the accusations. 

Parker

• Like 2

To even imply that is an insult dude has no fucking clue how hard it is to be on those boards and it shows.

But it isn't hard to get to the top of a leaderboard if you put in the time. If you have to quit matches to stay at the top then you don't deserve to stay on the top.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

Serves him right, I hate rage quitters.

If your "spot" in the leaderboards is earned through the method of quitting whenever things don't go your way, then you deserve what's coming to you. And would some people cut the bull about "everyone" rage quitting just to not get a penalty? I did not know that you know everyone, and you know everyone more than everyone themself.

I'll tell you right now don'tever call me a cheater that's not a road you want to take.

To even imply that is an insult dude has no fucking clue how hard it is to be on those boards and it shows.

Calm down, the only reason he brought up cheating is because you said if quitting a game is cheating then we are all cheaters. Seriously, if you can't have a discussion without acting like this then you should refrain from taking part. 

Parker

• Like 4

What? Pubs most certainly have rules and Capcom has decided that one of those rules is you can't quit to keep your win streak/leaderboard position up. If it isn't cheating then what is it? Because it certainly isn't legitimate or he would still have his leaderboard position. 

Parker

Not going to get into the argument, and I don't really have an opinion regarding whether or not the punishment was fair.

I will say this, however - if Capcom did not design the leaderboard properly, and allowed quitting without penalty, then it is, IMO, entirely their fault.

This punishment seems to be misguided, in that it should never have been allowed in the first place.

If it is indeed a 'rule', then it should have been spelled out as such. Deducting the same points for either a loss or quitting the match, would have avoided this problem.

Doing it this way is likely arbitrary, as it is highly probable that other top players have used the same glitch/exploit.

Is it proper gamesmanship? Nope. But that is entirely the responsibility of those designing the game.

They should have patched this and let those with skill overtake him.

• Like 1

it is entirely different to talk about someones personal character, especially when they aren't here to defend themselves from the accusations. 

This is my last post on this matter. I don't want to hijack this thread, lame though it may be.

People literally do this all the time regarding sports players and other celebrities, right here on this forum. People poke fun at youtube personalities all the time. Why is Hakoom any different here? Obviously, he has a celebrity among trophy hunters, a celebrity which he himself has cultivated. It seems ridiculous to say, "Oh, but that guy's different."

But then again, this a site that gave a warning point to someone for saying that (non-specific) Brits are dour (the horror!). Have a standard, or don't, but stop applying rules arbitrarily. This site used to be much better than that.

No. What he said was: if you quit to avoid losing, then you're a cheater. This is 100% true.

It's the same as if I said: if you kill an innocent, you are a murderer. I didn't just say you were a murderer. You're looking for insult where it doesn't exist.

Not going to get into the argument, and I don't really have an opinion regarding whether or not the punishment was fair.

I will say this, however - if Capcom did not design the leaderboard properly, and allowed quitting without penalty, then it is, IMO, entirely their fault.

This punishment seems to be misguided, in that it should never have been allowed in the first place.

If it is indeed a 'rule', then it should have been spelled out as such. Deducting the same points for either a loss or quitting the match, would have avoided this problem.

Doing it this way is likely arbitrary, as it is highly probable that other top players have used the same glitch/exploit.

Is it proper gamesmanship? Nope. But that is entirely the responsibility of those designing the game.

They should have patched this and let those with skill overtake him.

I disagree, some things shouldn't need to be spelled out as against the rules. I can certainly see what you're saying but I think that it is obvious that what he was doing was against the "spirit" of the rules and I can almost guarantee that he isn't surprised that he lost his position. I know I wouldn't be if I were in his position and used those tactics to "win."

This is my last post on this matter. I don't want to hijack this thread, lame though it may be.

People literally do this all the time regarding sports players and other celebrities, right here on this forum. People poke fun at youtube personalities all the time. Why is Hakoom any different here? Obviously, he has a celebrity among trophy hunters, a celebrity which he himself has cultivated. It seems ridiculous to say, "Oh, but that guy's different."

But then again, this a site that gave a warning point to someone for saying that (non-specific) Brits are dour (the horror!). Have a standard, or don't, but stop applying rules arbitrarily. This site used to be much better than that.

No. What he said was: if you quit to avoid losing, then you're a cheater. This is 100% true.

It's the same as if I said: if you kill an innocent, you are a murderer. I didn't just say you were a murderer. You're looking for insult where it doesn't exist.

Why is Hakoom different? Because we have more threads on him then any Youtube personality or celebrity. I've been here since the beginning and I've never seen anyone get as much hate as Hakoom gets, justified or not. Hakoom threads would stop getting locked if people could focus on the legitimacy of his trophies rather than insulting him as a person. Remember, one of the rules here is be nice, something those threads definitely are not. 

Parker

• Like 1

Calm down, the only reason he brought up cheating is because you said if quitting a game is cheating then we are all cheaters. Seriously, if you can't have a discussion without acting like this then you should refrain from taking part. 

Parker

Big ups. You said this in a much nicer way than I would have.

Speaking from experience being on the top 10 on a SF leaderboard, not everybody quits. If you rage quit, you are cheating yourself and your opponent. Even if you have something that takes you away from the game, ie crying baby, kid gets hurt, oven on fire, leave the controller and take the loss.

I logged over 1,000 hours on SSF4 and all it's iterations and not a single time did I rage quit. I'm not the only one either. I knew quite a few who never quit intentionally a single time.

Blanket statment always showcase ignorance to it's fullest.

• Like 1

I disagree, some things shouldn't need to be spelled out as against the rules. I can certainly see what you're saying but I think that it is obvious that what he was doing was against the "spirit" of the rules and I can almost guarantee that he isn't surprised that he lost his position. I know I wouldn't be if I were in his position and used those tactics to "win."

Parker

Fair point. Thing is, without the rules being firmly laid out, there are always going to be people exploiting them. Once a few people start, the problem becomes endemic.

A post earlier back showed 6 out of 7 people quitting.

I still think that taking away the benefit of using this would be a far more useful tactic.

Personally, I think anyone with hacked trophies on this site should be permanently banned. But they are allowed, often multiple times, to hide those trophies then come back. Off topic I know, but not entirely an incomparable situation.

• Like 2

Fair point. Thing is, without the rules being firmly laid out, there are always going to be people exploiting them. Once a few people start, the problem becomes endemic.

A post earlier back showed 6 out of 7 people quitting.

I still think that taking away the benefit of using this would be a far more useful tactic.

Personally, I think anyone with hacked trophies on this site should be permanently banned. But they are allowed, often multiple times, to hide those trophies then come back. Off topic I know, but not entirely an incomparable situation.

I agree 100%. If there was an immediate punishment for rage quitting (though they would have to be able to differentiate between rage quits and legitimate disconnects due to crappy internet) then this would've never become an issue. Hopefully Capcom is working on a system to do just that, it would certainly make sense. 

Parker

• Like 2

This all is somewhat delicate for my Humor side in me, but in reality it has been forgotton to the point that it shouldnt laid a fire on the quitters, more on capcom. As to critizies a develepoment Team that has enough knowledge and experience to use and develepoment a simple Code that tracks either (When opponent leaves the game He/she recieves a loss, A warning or simply minus points. Aswell to prevent any unfair action the other player that normally would be outmatched from the win will just as simple as it is....You probably have guessed it, obtain the Victory no matter if He was about to lose or not). This System is infact used many times and has been a solid grid to prevent any complains on both sides, as Players cant Discuss wether they had the win or not due quitters, since it is always the same and applys for everyone. As an example i just mention Mkvsdcu.

In conclusion, just because as awesome as they are, they failed and Put their time at pretty much useless things such as removing quitters aka fixing their own mistakes by punishing them. HumanitY should not abonden the quitters rather than the developers for programming such unacceptable game at it's current state. In a year like we have Now 2016 they should be smart enough to Now that this Feature will and was abused to its highest amount of Level. Another fact that has been turned as to its own needs, is aslong as the game offers These possibilities it shouldnt be considered "not legit", as when it comes to exploits and methods to trigger situations that benefit egoistical actions.. Then nobody Sees any reason to call themself false,(example like witcher 3 Shell farming, boosting, Second Controller to prevent the Trophy "no continue" to still work, which invalids instant the requires). So it shouldnt be the fault of the User than the ones that dont build something to prevent it from Start.

IKG

Edited by Master IKG

Bullshit to the highest level instead of working on one of 2016's most disappointed titles their busy messing with leaderboards. I can only imagine how pissed he is to put the time in like that say what you want about CoD atleast they rewarded me.

I'm hoping this was a funny joke.

Finally, I watched a bunch of these videos with people ragequitting and it was ridiculous. I understand the rare occasion where your internet does drop but the quitting was getting atrocious.

Not to mention even low ranks were quitting and people with small win streaks, though the biggest ones were the people with the highest win streaks.

Well, this started a shitstorm...

I'm going to try, possibly in vain, to steer the conversation towards a more constructive path. 

Obviously, Capcom is partially to blame for creating a system which does not count quits as a loss. One would imagine that they are doing something about it. 

What do people think Capcom should do to prevent this type of exploitation of the system?

Now, I haven't played SFV, so I don't know if this would work, but why couldn't Capcom introduce a system whereby both players are docked the amount of points that they would lose if they lost the game at the beginning of the match instead of at the end? At the end of the match the winner gets his docked points back plus however many points are awarded for a win. The loser, having already had his points docked at the beginning of the match, suffers no further change in his points. 

Would this sort of "buy-in" system work? To my mind, it would incentivise players to play to the end because it's the only way they're going to get their points back... If they quit or pull the plug, then the servers have already logged the change in their points so its too late for them to do anything about that. In that case, the player who stays connected would be counted as having "won".

The only people who might not be incentivised to play fair are those with 0 points, who would not suffer a loss.

• Like 1

Well, this started a shitstorm...

I'm going to try, possibly in vain, to steer the conversation towards a more constructive path. 

Obviously, Capcom is partially to blame for creating a system which does not count quits as a loss. One would imagine that they are doing something about it. 

What do people think Capcom should do to prevent this type of exploitation of the system?

Now, I haven't played SFV, so I don't know if this would work, but why couldn't Capcom introduce a system whereby both players are docked the amount of points that they would lose if they lost the game at the beginning of the match instead of at the end? At the end of the match the winner gets his docked points back plus however many points are awarded for a win. The loser, having already had his points docked at the beginning of the match, suffers no further change in his points. 

Would this sort of "buy-in" system work? To my mind, it would incentivise players to play to the end because it's the only way they're going to get their points back... If they quit or pull the plug, then the servers have already logged the change in their points so its too late for them to do anything about that. In that case, the player who stays connected would be counted as having "won".

The only people who might not be incentivised to play fair are those with 0 points, who would not suffer a loss.

Hmmm, this isn't a bad idea really. I kinda like it.

But I also wouldn't mind just giving a loss to whoever disconnects. Sure it may take a couple of honest disconnects as a loss, but does that really matter if it fixes rage quitting (especially after the match is over)? If something urgent happens or my internet connection is being lazy, I'll just take a loss, it's just one game, you can earn the points back. And if my internet was really bad because of issues with my ISP, I'd just play something else (or go into training mode, because I still have lots to learn).

And I don't care much for the crappy internet connection argument. If you can't get decent internet for whatever reason, then imo you should either not care about points, because you're playing a competitive online game and you know your internet is shit, or if you do care about being competitve you have to ask yourself how much it's worth to you.

Sure you could argue that I can't deny someone to play his game online, because he paid for it. Well, so did I, and I didn't pay for a teleporty lag fest. Maybe Capcom can just throw them into a pool together so they can still play (because I do agree they should be able to, just not that they should impact the experience of other people who don't have the issue).

• Like 1

One of the spots for capcomcup is gonna be from an online tournament and I think the leaderboards are suppose to be involved. Regardless, if you cheat, hack, script, whatever, you should be banned from the internet for 20 years. That would be my law ;). "But I paid for the game". Sure, enjoy it offline scrub.