Challenge: Boost Your Trophy Grades 2016

This is an interesting challenge and certainly something that I've been thinking about for some time when looking at my own profile. The interesting, and possibly difficult, aspect of this challenge is that eliminating "E" rank games from your profile naturally creates "D" ranked profiles, so when thinking about your goals, you may need to take into consideration the fact you may have to push your game rank all the way to "A" or "S" so as not to affect your "D", "C" and "B" challenges. :S

While Sony kindly allowed us to remove our "F" ranked games, I still have a heaps of "E" ranks on PS3, since my old 40GB fat went the way of the YLOD and I never got it replaced. I'll eventually get a replacement for it but for now I have the challenge of a few "E"'s on my Vita and PS4. This challenge should go hand-in-hand with the Great Australian Trophy Hunt: Season 1 and it's something I was thinking of doing anyway as I wanted to lift my completion percentage this year to close to 50%. Simply removing all my "E" and "D" ranks on PS4 and Vita to "A" should go a long way to doing that.

I will revise my list and see if I can set a realistic goal for the rest of the year.

I've been slowly working in this already, and it's good to see that I'm not the only one that looks at the letter grades as something to work toward. My current goals are to have all my completion ratings be average or higher based on the PSNP averages, and taking it further, to best the completion of those people on my PSN friends list. It's actually a fun goal, but it's hard for me to push myself too hard. I usually try to do 1-2 old games for every new game I play. I can get some stats for my goals later today if I think of it.

11 E Ranks, 3 D, 2 C, 1 B. Overall Average A. Since my overall average is already an A, I don't feel so bad about my unfinished games. One of my D's is a game I'm currently playing and I should have it up to A (hopefully S) by next week. The problem with most of my E's is they are E's for a reason. Either I suck or the game wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention. As long as my Average is A or higher, I'm okay with my E's and D's. 

• Like 2

Not sure if I'm going to care enough to go through with this (My average rank is already S), but let's give it a try.

E (start: 3, current: 3, goal: 1) Getting it to 2 is no problem, I just started one of the games that's currently at E, I'll get that to S soon. I'm talking about Ar tonelico 3 (Japanese version). The other game could be a bit harder due to my lack of motivation, but I still somewhat want to get it to S. It's Ciel nosurge.

D (start: 0, current: 0, goal: 0) Not much to say, don't have Ds.

C: (start: 2, current: 2, goal: 1) I am going to beat Atelier Rorona once, that'll probably get it to B or so. I might try my hands on Resonance of Fate again, chances are I'll end up with 0 Cs at the end of the year.

B: (start: 4, current: 4, goal: 4) Yeah, they are B for a reason. I didn't like them that much, one of these games was even done by a friend. As of now, I have no real intention of ever playing them again. B might turn to 5 depending on what happens with Atelier Rorona.

A: (start: 17, current: 17, goal: 15) Toukiden: Kiwami + SAO -Hollow Fragment- should be S sometime later this year.

S: (start: 70, current: 70, goal: 74) The four new S are Ar tonelico 3 (Japanese), Ciel nosurge (also Japanese), Toukiden: Kiwami and SAO -Hollow Fragment-. I'm sure it'll be more than 74 by the end of the year (at least 76), there are some new games that I'm going to buy & raise to S/100%.

My overall completion level, and corresponding rating, isn't something I'm too concerned about--mostly due to how I play games and how much I dipped and dabbled during the PS3 cycle. Most of those games I have little to no desire to go back to. That said I'm willing to give this a go on Vita.

IronMask raised a good point regarding how the goals are laid out. So I will just list the corresponding games alongside the goals with the hope of raising them by at least a letter grade by year's end.

E Start 7, Current 7, Goal 2

(Virtue's Last Reward, Little Deviants, Mortal Kombat, MLB 12 The Show, Steins;Gate, Motorstorm RC, OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood)

D Start 5, Current 5, Goal 1

(Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Assassin's Creed III Liberation, Wake-up Club, Sound Shapes, The Walking Dead)

C Start 2, Current 2, Goal 0

(EA Sports FIFA Football, Jetpack Joyride)

Note: Omitting Fez (rank D) and Helldivers (rank A) as I played them on PS4, not Vita.

It'll be nice to revisit some of these.

Edited by XX_FTW

Most of the games I have at low ranks are there because I disliked them and couldn't be bothered to play them anymore, others are ones I played before I started hunting and are on my to-do list.  I'm going to list the "at best" number for each category.  This means games I have no desire to play will be left at their current rank indefinitely.  Two games I'm currently playing are at C & D respectively.

S - 88 (overall rank)

A - 39

B - 0

C - 9 (at best down to 5) 

D - 7 (at best down to 2)

E - 15 (at best down to 6)

Ehh.... yeah... I don't think I'm very suited for this one, but at least it'll give me a reason to move up my completion rating a little bit :).

E Grades (0, 0, 0)

D Grades (0, 0, 0)

C Grades (0, 0, 0)

B Grades (0, 0, 0)

A Grades (17, 17, 12)

S Grades (125, 125, 140)

Not sure if I'm going to care enough to go through with this (My average rank is already S), but let's give it a try.

My overall completion level, and corresponding rating, isn't something I'm too concerned about--mostly due to how I play games and how much I dipped and dabbled during the PS3 cycle. Most of those games I have little to no desire to go back to. That said I'm willing to give this a go on Vita.

Most of the games I have at low ranks are there because I disliked them and couldn't be bothered to play them anymore, others are ones I played before I started hunting and are on my to-do list.  I'm going to list the "at best" number for each category.  This means games I have no desire to play will be left at their current rank indefinitely.  Two games I'm currently playing are at C & D respectively.

Ehh.... yeah... I don't think I'm very suited for this one, but at least it'll give me a reason to move up my completion rating a little bit :).

Added  :)

I have been slowly trying to get my percentage up. Back in 2012 my goal was to be above 60% and every year that goal has increased more and more. I will never get 100% (too many games with servers closed) but I would like to try and get 75% completion percentage.

I think this might be a good way to go about it as the last 2 years I have been picking E rated games and working them to at least an A.

So here are my stats right now.

F-15

E-28

D-38

C-16

B-14

A-66

Percentage 71.24%

F (start 0, currently 5, goal 0)     E (start 25, currently 35, goal 13)     D (start 16, currently 19, goal 4)     C (start 12, currently 14, goal 4)     B (start 7, currently 12, goal 3)

The main aim for me is turning all of my PS4 and PS Vita games into A or S. I won't be able to play any PS3 games until I get a replacement unit and that may not be until June/July sometime. Because of this I'm guessing it will only lift my overall rank of C to B.

Games for this include:

F (+1) - Lumines Electronic Symphony, Treasures of Montezuma Arena, Battle Ages, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, DRIVECLUB BIKES (new)

E (+0) - TRANSFORMERS: Devastation, Need for Speed: Rivals, WipEout 2048RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2, Pure Chess, HELLDIVERS, DYNASTY WARRIORS NEXT, The Crew, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, EA SPORTS UFC, Fallout 4, Far Cry 4, Dead Star, 学戦都市アスタリスクフェスタ 凰華絢爛, FREEDOM WARS, Touch My Katamari, Table Top Racing: World Tour, LittleBigPlanet, Overwatch: Origins Edition, DRIVECLUB, LittleBigPlanet 2, Tom Clancy's EndWar,

D (+1) - MAGICKA 2, OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood, Flame Over, Killzone Shadow Fall, PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate, LIMBO, Frozen Free Fall: Snowball Fight, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, FIFA 14, Rocket League, Action Henk, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Neverwinter, Borderlands, Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ (new),

C (+1) - Velocity 2X, Galak-Z: The Dimensional, SteamWorld Dig, Strike Suit Zero, FEZ, Project CARS, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, Shütshimi, Magic Orbz, Proteus, Battlefield 1 (new),

B (+0) - Woah Dave!, Pure Pool, Kung Fury: Street Rage, Gems of War, Battleborn, Tom Clancy's The Division, MONOPOLY FAMILY FUN PACK, Treasures of Montezuma Blitz, Altered Beast,

Looking at the list there's a few that may not rank up to A or S due to being overly grindy (Gems of War, Travel Bug, Wake-up Club) or pay-to-win (Frozen) or just damn hard (Woah Dave, Kung Fury, Velocity) but I'll see how I go.

Edited by IronMask75
Mid-December Rank Update

I think this might be a good way to go about it as the last 2 years I have been picking E rated games and working them to at least an A.

Added!

E (start 25, currently 25, goal 13)     D (start 16, currently 16, goal 4)     C (start 12, currently 12, goal 4)     B (start 7, currently 7, goal 3)

The main aim for me is turning all of my PS4 and PS Vita games into A or S. I won't be able to play any PS3 games until I get a replacement unit and that may not be until June/July sometime. Because of this I'm guessing it will only lift my overall rank of C to B.

Added! And thanks for making it easy for me to copy and paste that info! :D

• Like 1

This is an interesting challenge and certainly something that I've been thinking about for some time when looking at my own profile. The interesting, and possibly difficult, aspect of this challenge is that eliminating "E" rank games from your profile naturally creates "D" ranked profiles, so when thinking about your goals, you may need to take into consideration the fact you may have to push your game rank all the way to "A" or "S" so as not to affect your "D", "C" and "B" challenges. :S

I think that is the goal of this challenge - to make all your low-rank completions into 100% completion. ;)

Sounds like fun.  I will join, but will only include PS4 and Vita games as the PS3 list of low grade games is too vast and daunting for me to even comprehend right now.  I will attempt to raise each of the games I tackle to at least an A.

B - start 7, currently 7, goal 2

C - start 9, currently 9, goal 4

D - start 4, currently 4, goal 1

E - start 6, currently 6, goal 4

F - start 6, currently 6, goal 5

I went through my list of games and determined which ones I would like to replay.  A lot of the E's and F's are just games that I didn't enjoy and have no intention of ever touching again, which is why the end goal for those particular grades isn't much different than the start goal.

Edit: In case you are wondering why the totals are a bit off from the totals on my profile, for some reason PSNP includes Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus and Batman: Arkham Origins as Vita games. I did not.

Edited by awf9495

Eh, why not? I'll join. I'm going to just make it a goal of moving each rank to the next rank up for now as it'll be easier to track.

0 Rank (not started yet): 7; goal of starting: 4

1. Kingdom Hearts re:Chain of Memories
  2. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
  3. Dragon Quest Heroes
  4. Digimonstory: Cybersleuth
  5. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
  6. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
  7. Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus

E Rank: 5, goal of promotion to D Rank: 3

1. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
  2. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
  3. Criminal Girls Invite Only
  4. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengenance
  5. Jak II

D Rank: 5, goal of promotion to C Rank: 2

1. Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
  2. Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
  3. Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited
  4. Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
  5. Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (need to get the Sly Collection)

A Rank: 3, goal of promotion to S Rank: 1

1. Dark Cloud 2
  2. Rogue Galaxy
  3. Persona 4 Golden

NOTE: For some reason my Profile lists my current completion rank of Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention as A Rank even though I have only completed 18% of the trophy list. This is probably a bug so I moved it to D Rank.

Edited by DetectiveCJ

NOTE: For some reason my Profile lists my current completion rank of Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention as A Rank even though I have only completed 18% of the trophy list. This is probably a bug so I moved it to D Rank.

It is my understanding that the ranks are how you are doing compared to the average person who played the game.  The average completion percentage of Disgaea 3 is 10%, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that 18% nets you an A.  I understand ranking it lower on your personal list - just wanted to let you know that I don't think it's a bug.

• Like 1

Eh, why not? I'll join. I'm going to just make it a goal of moving each rank to the next rank up for now as it'll be easier to track.

0 Rank (not started yet): 7; goal of starting: 4

1. Kingdom Hearts re:Chain of Memories
  2. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
  3. Dragon Quest Heroes
  4. Digimonstory: Cybersleuth
  5. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
  6. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
  7. Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus

E Rank: 5, goal of promotion to D Rank: 3

1. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
  2. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
  3. Criminal Girls Invite Only
  4. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengenance
  5. Jak II

D Rank: 5, goal of promotion to C Rank: 2

1. Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
  2. Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
  3. Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited
  4. Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
  5. Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (need to get the Sly Collection)

A Rank: 3, goal of promotion to S Rank: 1

1. Dark Cloud 2
  2. Rogue Galaxy
  3. Persona 4 Golden

It is my understanding that the ranks are how you are doing compared to the average person who played the game.  The average completion percentage of Disgaea 3 is 10%, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that 18% nets you an A.  I understand ranking it lower on your personal list - just wanted to let you know that I don't think it's a bug.

Yup, awf9495 is right. For example, I have an A rank in Cubixx HD with only 9% completion just because the average completion is only 5%. On the other hand, I have a C rank in Flower with 42% completion just because the average completion is 37%.

This is something I've been working on anyway so I might as well join up  :D

F (start 1, currently 1, goal 0)   (start 3, currently 3, goal 0)     D (start 2, currently 2, goal 0)     C (start 4, currently 4, goal 0)     B (start 7, currently 7, goal 0)     A (start 54, currently 54, goal 30)  Completion (start 85.68, currently 85.68, goal 90)

I've been stuck at 85% completion for the last 2 years so I'm determined to get to at least 90% by the end of this year.

So I'll go like this

RANK (START/CURRENT/GOAL)

*Numbers in bold italics are just estimates based on projected goals from lower ranks

F (0/0/0)

E (29/29/0)

D (16/16/0)

C (29/29/64)

B (21/21/31)

A (71/71/75)

S (87/87/90)

It's really hard to judge the higher ranks because you are going to be moving the bottom ranks up, and also I can't really account for any new games I may or may not start during this. I just know that anything below a C right now is what I'm focusing on raising, and I tend to like to push most games as high as I feel is within my ability.

Sounds like fun.  I will join, but will only include PS4 and Vita games as the PS3 list of low grade games is too vast and daunting for me to even comprehend right now.  I will attempt to raise each of the games I tackle to at least an A.

I'm pretty much on the same boat as Ric xDDD

This is something I've been working on anyway so I might as well join up  :D

It's really hard to judge the higher ranks because you are going to be moving the bottom ranks up, and also I can't really account for any new games I may or may not start during this. I just know that anything below a C right now is what I'm focusing on raising, and I tend to like to push most games as high as I feel is within my ability.

Done, done, done, done and done! :D