DriveClub Developer Evolution Studios to Shut Down

Shadiochao

Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive landscape can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects.

As part of this process we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and plans for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to the European studios structure.

As a result, it has been decided that Evolution Studio will close.

It is regrettable that this decision will lead to compulsory redundancies. We accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff but by focusing on other Studios that already have exciting new projects in development we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality for our consumers.

Where possible we will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies.

Evolution has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios for over 10 years - working on ground-breaking racing titles like WRC, Motorstorm and DRIVECLUB.

This decision should not take anything away from the great work that Evolution has produced.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-22-sony-confirms-closure-of-evolution-studio

I'm surprised, I expected they were doing well considering all the updates Driveclub has been getting, even up until very recently.

I wonder what this means for DriveClub's future updates and the VR version in development

Edited by Shadiochao

This is really strange.. Driveclub has been a massive success since the problems were solved.. and even before that Motorstorm too.. but then Sony also closed SCE Studio Liverpool (the guys from Wipeout).. so it's not like that's the first time they close a great studio for apparently no reason..

Said that, relocate everyone to Polyphony Digital staff, so that they start showing something to the world.. really GT was big on the PS2, but with GT5/6, I think that's where Sony is wasting game developing money, since the studio somewhat seams like it lost focus on what they are aiming to get..

• Like 1

Damn it.. Super sad to see this happen. Is something happening in the UK gaming bussiness since both Lionhead and Evolution closed down? :(

I hope Driveclub VR still releases and that Driveclub continues to live on in one form or another, I really like Driveclub and think its one of the most solid racing games on this generations racers.
Definitely going down to buy Driveclub with season pass and bikes in a day or two.. 

RIP, good luck to everyone affected <3

Driveclub was bad i predicted this would happen after they didn't give out the ps+ version for awhile. You can make bad games but they have to sell doesn't matter which of the big 3 you work for.

Yeah, it WAS bad, just like Diablo III was abysmal before the release of the v2.0.1 update aka Reaper of Souls. In both cases, heads eventually rolled, but only the latter's studio survived to this day :(

Edited by Lance_87

Yeah, it WAS bad, just like Diablo III was abysmal before the release of the v2.0.1 update aka Reaper of Souls. In both cases, heads eventually rolled, but only the latter's studio survived to this day :(

Oh it had updates? Well i can't comment on that got rid of the game quickly it looked good for whatever that's worth.

I've been playing since the day Driveclub launched. Yeah it had a (very) shaky start but I stayed patient. They finally got themselves sorted and we saw a fair few freebies given to us by way of cars and content. I also bought the season pass, which is something I rarely do, but considering the amount of content offered and new trophies, it was worth supporting. I hope they find a way to stay open, I hate it when any studio shuts.

I remember Rushy33's comment about Tomb Raider, now he's going to be out of a job. Life is sure weird, huh?

Anyway, I hope Rushy33 and the evolution crew find work, I can't wish bad luck on anyone. 

Edited by FlareXV
  • Like 1

You and me both. First WipEout, now Motorstorm. My favorite racing franchises are getting canned one by one :/

I think Formula Fusion is still coming to PS4 (created by some of the guys from the former Liverpool studio, and it does look just like Wipeout from what I saw.. so there's still hope for more Wipeout!).

Sad but does Driveclub even have offline play? Will people get screwed from online trophies?? Is servers still staying up? If there ever was servers.

Sad but does Driveclub even have offline play? Will people get screwed from online trophies?? Is servers still staying up? If there ever was servers.

Yeah I read that everything is going to shift under Sony Interactive Entertainment, so the servers will still be up.