Racers with good car handling

Hello community.

I would love some input and suggestions for racing games that have a good car handling on either PS3, PS4 and/or Vita.

The reason behind this thread is the following: 2 weeks or so ago the new NFS was on sale on the PSN store and since I saw my old account happened to have enough money on it I bought it and played it yesterday. I loved the Underground series back on PS2 and was incredibly dissapointed from the new NFS. The car handling was awful and unresponsive aside from the fact that there were other players' cars everywhere because the always online feature cannot be turned off.

I've greatly enjoyed Table Top Racing and GTA 5, the handling there is great. So what other games have a handling similar to those games that you can recommend?

I've greatly enjoyed Table Top Racing and GTA 5, the handling there is great. So what other games have a handling similar to those games that you can recommend?

Ok, I don't have to understand that (tried TTR and I found the handling awful). :blink:

Like already said I would also recommend DriveClub on PS4. It's a fun game and the handling for most of the cars feels good. Still there are cars with crappy handling (e.g. the MotorStorm buggy. I just hate this thing).

Other games I enjoyed the handling are the Need for Speed-games Shift, Shift 2 and Hot Pursuit (there's a PS+ timed trial where you can play the first hour of the game on EU-PSN: link). All are for PS3.

Not to forget the Sonic & Sega Racing-franchise. Both games were IMO nice fun-racers. =)

The first one (Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing) was released on PS3 and the second one (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed) was released on PS3 and Vita.

Edited by Crimson Idol

As the guys above me have said, Driveclub's handling model is pretty sweet. Straddles a nice line that doesn't make it too arcadey, but not too realistic either. From the very little Trackmania Turbo I played at a mate's house I can also say that it's got a pretty good handling model as well. If you're into kart styled racers, Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed is probably the best I've experienced on the Vita, although to be fair there aren't really that many on the Vita to compete with anyway.

I'd personally disagree with you on GTA5 and Table Top Racing's handling though, didn't really like either of them too much (although they weren't too bad either, just nothing special). I actually preferred the butter tires of GTA IV to Gta V :D . Even if the cars handled more like boats than cars, it was unique and kind of humorous :) .

On the PS3 you've got:

Gran Turismo 6 - Simulation (Well... it's GT6...);

DiRT 3 - Arcade/Simulation (The feel of the cars, graphics and sound hold pretty great even in 2016, you got some good locations to drive on);

GRID Autosport - Arcade/Simulation (This one is really satisfying and the AI gives you a good challenge, even on normal difficulty);

Burnout Paradise - Arcade (This one is so epic to drive! A LOT of cars to choose from a also Bikes, the sense of speed is phenomenal);

There are more, but this are some that popped into my mind right away

• Like 2

I too really enjoyed driveclub. It really does make me wonder why Sony closed Evolution because beyond its server difficulties at launch I've only ever seen praise for it. It was fantastically well supported with free updates and new features and even paid DLC was very well done. I hope the team's move to codemasters allows them to make 'driveclub 2' it would most likely be a day 1 purchase for me which is rare for a racing game

On the PS3 you've got:

Gran Turismo 6 - Simulation (Well... it's GT6...);

DiRT 3 - Arcade/Simulation (The feel of the cars, graphics and sound hold pretty great even in 2016, you got some good locations to drive on);

GRID Autosport - Arcade/Simulation (This one is really satisfying and the AI gives you a good challenge, even on normal difficulty);

Burnout Paradise - Arcade (This one is so epic to drive! A LOT of cars to choose from a also Bikes, the sense of speed is phenomenal);

There are more, but this are some that popped into my mind right away

OMG, I have to slap myself in the face right now. How could I forget to mention Burnout Paradise? :facepalm:

I second that. Get Burnout!

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 2

If you spend a couple of hours playing Shift 2 (Bambi on Ice) Unleashed first, then any other racing game on the PS3 will seem like it has great handling

But as mentioned above DC and Grid and especially Burnout Paradise are great racers

Once you know Paradise City then you can really have a blast on those streets. The expansion pack island is brilliant too.

Ok, I don't have to understand that (tried TTR and I found the handling awful). :blink:

Like already said I would also recommend DriveClub on PS4. It's a fun game and the handling for most of the cars feels good. Still there are cars with crappy handling (e.g. the MotorStorm buggy. I just hate this thing).

Other games I enjoyed the handling are the Need for Speed-games Shift, Shift 2 and Hot Pursuit (there's a PS+ timed trial where you can play the first hour of the game on EU-PSN: link). All are for PS3.

Not to forget the Sonic & Sega Racing-franchise. Both games were IMO nice fun-racers. =)

The first one (Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing) was released on PS3 and the second one (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed) was released on PS3 and Vita.

Thanks for the link mate. I'm downloading Hot Pursuit right now.

I've played a bit of NFS Rivals on PS3 in the past too and can't remember if the handling was good or not. What I do remember was the weird camera angle that I couldn't figure out how to change which led me to abandon the game.

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. I'll be sure the check those games out, especially DC. Do you have any recommendations for starting in DC like what car, track, etc.?

Dirt 3, the Grid games, except Grid 2. All the Gran Turismos, Burnout Paradise, in my opinion the NFS don't handle that nice.

Will get a PS4 soon with Driveclub, so i'm very excited about that, maybe Project Cars, but haven't played that so don't know anything about the handling

U go in u race done.Then,u race again and again and again.

Sounds like an ordinary racing game to me. :giggle:

Seriously though, Driveclub is my personal racing favourite. The graphics and sounds are great, and the driving feels so good. Besides, if you buy the game with a season pass, as you should if you're buying the game, you will have a racing game that will keep you going for countless hours. And if you add some people who have 100%'ed this game, or close to it, to PSN you will have scores to beat after you've received the 3 starts from the various races. I haven't played the most recent Need for Speed-games so I can't say how they compare to Driveclub, but I would be surprised if I liked them as much as or more than Driveclub. ^_^

EDIT: And as a bonus, Driveclub offers a ton of trophies if you're into that kinda thing.

Edited by Bartoulum

The NFS handling is just awkward...When you play the game for a while you get used to it but still it´s very strange :huh: If you have to choose between NFS and Driveclub, definitely pick DC. When you buy the season pass you have tons of races to do and 100%ing the game is fun and challenging. NFS gets boring very fast tbh.

Edited by Alex_R-13
  • Like 1

If you like ttr: world tour don't forget that there is a different table-top racer game on vita. It is dirt cheap and if you liked the ps4 version you're sure to like it.

I really enjoyed need for speed most wanted on the vita as well, they got the whole ps3 game into it apart from the dlc.

For the ps4, I agree with everyone else about driveclub.

• Like 1

I played Driveclub for about 30 Minutes before I deleted it off my PS4. The handling really wasn't my cup of tea.

What I can recommend is Dirt 2. You can adjust the car handling to your liking and the campaign offers a fair challenge in the harder difficulty modes.