which anime series would you advise me

yiazmat50112254

i have watched all the posts and have tried an episode of some of them.

i started with fairy tail (2 episodes), i did liked it somewhat but much less as i expected, probably because it appears somewhat childish. (if i am wrong about the childish thing, or if it gets better later, just tell me and i'll give it another try)

after i tried record of lodoss war, this one i also expected much of because of the rpg like style, but also i liked it less as expected. (don't know why however)

after it, i tried bleach and after that i tried naruto. this 2 i did like, but to know more about the anime's i tried one more.

now i tried sword art online. this one i really like, i started it a few hours ago, and i am on episode six now.

in short: none of them i did'nt like, only some less as expected and some i did like, especcialy sword art online.

i will without doubt try much much more of them so thanks for the help until now.

and of course: any more comments are still very welcome.

Edited by yiazmat50112254

Nothing more inviting than a list of 50 shows that don't really fit the criteria but you just wanted to tell people about your favorite anime.

Sadly a good portion of the fantasy genre in anime is pretty generic. Try Berserk if you're a big boy. Stay far away from the big 3. I will also voice my opinion that SAO is not a good show being fully aware of the potential consequences.

• Like 2

i have watched all the posts and have tried an episode of some of them.

i started with fairy tail (2 episodes), i did liked it somewhat but much less as i expected, probably because it appears somewhat childish. (if i am wrong about the childish thing, or if it gets better later, just tell me and i'll give it another try)

after i tried record of lodoss war, this one i also expected much of because of the rpg like style, but also i liked it less as expected. (don't know why however)

after it, i tried bleach and after that i tried naruto. this 2 i did like, but to know more about the anime's i tried one more.

now i tried sword art online. this one i really like, i started it a few hours ago, and i am on episode six now.

in short: none of them i did'nt like, only some less as expected and some i did like, especcialy sword art online (until now).

i will without doubt try much much more of them so thanks for the help until now.

and of course: any more comments are still very welcome.

Fairy Tail isn't meant to be taken seriously at all. It is somewhat immature but I've always taken the series to do that on purpose so I never really held that against it. I dropped reading it a long time ago anyways. I don't think it's a great show by any stretch but I read it as a light/funny read after most of the disappointing stuff I used to read. 

I will do none cliche advice.

Fairy Tail cliche but on topic...

now no cliche:

Hunger Games - Mayoiga could interest you

Erased if you would say time travel is magic

Black Butler - Placed in old England and about demons... those are monsters I guess.

Owari No Seraph - Magic, fantasy and monsters.

Final Fantasy also released a mini anime.

Kyousou Giga

Sora No Method - Magic 

Magi: The Labyrinth Of Magic

Space Dandy

No Game, No Life (SIMILIAR TO SWORD ART ONLINE)

Flying Witch

Bungou Stray Dogs

Bakemonogatari - monsters, spirits magic.

Edited by Blanc

As someone who's watched a lot of anime, the first thing to know is that most anime is utter garbage. However, the ones that are worthwhile are absolutely worth your time.

For pretty much anyone I'd recommend:

Black Lagoon  - (relatively) modern day pirates with a bunch of badasses. Involves lots of gunfights, swearing, explosions and everything you'd expect from an action film, but actually has character development and some very well written plot arcs, unlike a lot of action films.

Darker Than Black  - Some event happens which wipes the sky of all stars and has the odd side effect of people gaining superpowers, but at a cost to the user. Actually resembles Black Lagoon a little in regards to it's ragtag bunch of lead characters, but also involves police and mystery elements. Main character is literally Chinese Electric Batman.

Baccano! - Told somewhat out of order, but otherwise fun hijinks with a bunch of people on a train in America during the 1930's. There is also murder afoot, and a slight case of immortality. It's not all on the train, but the main mystery arc is based there and the rest is there to fill in the gaps as to what's going on. Has one of the best opening themes in all of anime and one of the best examples of an ensemble cast I have ever seen.

Spice & Wolf - Set in totally-not-medieval-Europe when a trader accidentally makes an acquaintance of a wolf goddess. Cue ECONOMICS and a metric ton of amazing character interaction.

Dennou Coil - It's the near future and people have glasses which can project augmented reality. The augmented reality starts to encroach on actual reality. A bunch of clever kids attempt to save the world whilst the adults bumble about not believing it. Has the funniest episode of any anime series I have ever seen in it. It involves beards.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex + 2nd Gig - Everyone knows about Ghost in the Shell. However, it's the film that most people have seen, and not the series. This is sad, because the series is arguably even better in my opinion. Political intrigue, crime, action, cyborgs, talking tanks and what it means to be human abound. If I had to show one series to someone to prove that not all anime sucked, this would be it. Also has one of the best soundtracks in existence.

Cowboy Bebop - It's Bebop, arguably the only anime series that people respect even if they don't watch or like anime. This is for a very good reason. As with Ghost in the Shell above, it does standalone episodes in amongst an overarching plot, combined with some of the most likeable characters around. Plus it has spaceships and jazz, what's not to like?

Tiger & Bunny - Superheroes combined with sponsorships. Each of the characters is a superhero and they're paid to fight crime whilst covered in logos and the like. Of course, it's not actually that simple and you get some mystery and corruption elements involved, plus a few villains and vigilantes as well. All around great fun.

Psycho-pass - Near future police state kind of like 1984 where everyone's criminal potential is monitored by cops who have guns which can make those who show signs of criminal potential explode. Lots of political intrigue, mystery, drama and crime stuff in here, all with a great atmosphere and some lovely aesthetics.

If you like guys with superpowers punching other guys with superpowers, watch the following:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - This is pretty much the one to watch. It's full of guys with ridiculous builds and outfits punching vampires at first, then guys with ridiculous outfits and martial arts punching literal aztec vampire gods, followed up by guys punching other guys who all happen to have spirits that allow them to do really, really specific things. It's ridiculous, and it loves the fact it's ridiculous.

If you don't mind your shows having girls in cute outfits and magical powers and still being legitimately good, watch the following:

Cardcaptor Sakura - OK yes, this was kind of shown on Western TV as Cardcaptors and is often seen as for kids, but it's also really rather good. It's worth noting that the broadcasts we got (or maybe didn't) cut about a third of the series and changed up a whole bunch of stuff, including changing some of the relationships and characterisations entirely. Sakura is adorable, also, and the humour is still pretty on point even 20 years later.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Cute girls making contracts to get powers to fight lovecraftian horrors. But also totally not that. It's much closer to a psychological mindscrew with drama, mystery and horror elements than anything else, if the lovecraftian horrors part didn't tip you off. Honestly one of the most interesting stories I've seen in anime, and has a godly soundtrack.

If you don't mind your shows being slow paced, but relaxing as hell, but also possibly heartbreaking:

Mushishi - Guy can see magical bugs that exist within the live essence of reality. These bugs cause illnesses and weird phenomena, but nobody else really knows what they do. Guy goes around and deals with people's problems involving these bugs. Some of the episodes are heartwarming, others are horrifying and/or soul crushing, but the atmosphere either way is unparalleled. Soundtrack is practically perfect, also.

Aria - Girls learning to be gondoliers on terraformed Mars. Also lots of cats. It's absolutely beautiful and incredibly relaxing, as long as it isn't pulling a huge gutpunch as it does sometimes.

If you want action, gore and tragedy: 

Berserk - Skip the first episode, it's entirely irrelevant to the series and will likely be covered better in the upcoming new series. Other than that, totally-not-medieval-Europe armies and a band of mercenaries doing what you'd expect for the era, with a few demons thrown in. Has a soul-shatteringly despair filled outcome. Put your grasses on.

If you want space opera and singing:

Macross Frontier - The entire Macross franchise covers that combination, but this is the only one I've seen because I'm slow. Basically imagine Battlestar Galactica-esque space politics and the like, but with giant space bugs and super-popular idols singing songs that are powerful enough to change the outcomes of battles amongst other things. Also involves a lot of incredibly flashy space battles, mechs and other cool stuff like that, plus some wonderful character arcs and interactions.

If you want comedy:

Nichijou - Bunch of girls in school get into some hilarious hijinks. There's a ton of series that attempt this exact setup, but none of them really reach the pinnacle as much as Nichijou does. It translates to 'everyday life' but there's always something going on which is slightly off and generally adds even more to the humour. Some of the segments are straight up bizarre, but most of all, it's funny as hell.

Azumanga Daioh - You know how I said there's tons of series that attempt this exact setup? This practically started that genre, back in 2001. Whilst it's not necessarily as funny as Nichijou, it's got the best kind of heartwarming feeling throughout the whole series. Plus when it is being at it's funniest, it's goddamn hilarious.

That's probably it for what I'd recommend starting with. There's a whole bunch of other things I'd recommend to watch, but this is the best kind of starting point in my opinion. Most of it is pretty accessible for those who don't really know where to go in the medium, but also of high quality in most aspects. If you like these, finding similar shows shouldn't be too hard to do. Also note that I haven't got much experience in some of the main subgenres of the medium, so there's probably a bunch of gaps I'm missing.

For what it's worth, people will recommend Sword Art Online. If you really want that kind of style of show, .hack//sign came way earlier and is way better, and Log Horizon and Overlord are newer and also way better. SAO is one of the biggest messes of a show I've ever seen, it's disjointed, the characters are the pinnacle of bland, the animation quality is usually sub-par and all the important things that happen at the end of each arc are pure asspulls. It's trash. Popular trash, but trash nonetheless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - it has 5 seasons, but once you start, you won't want to stop watching. 

Persona 3 - on Kissanime.com, they have 3 of the 4 movies of Persona 3. They are pretty good if you ask me.

Persona 4 - Same as Persona 3, you have the original Persona 4 anime plus the Golden version. The original is 26 episodes, but Golden is only 12. The reason Golden is shorter is because they summarize everything versus the original which basically tells the full story of the Midnight Channel. That or you can play the PS Vita game, the choice is yours.

One Piece - What isn't there to like?

Fairy Tail  - starts out slow, but it gets better as you continue watching.

Rosario + Vampire

Heaven's Lost Property

Lucky Star

Wolf's Rain 

Cowboy Bebop

Outlaw Star

Big O

Trigun

(Basically most anime that aired on [Adult Swim] during the late nineties to the early oughties.)

Welcome to the NHK 

Deadman Wonderland

Steins;Gate

A lot of these fall more under the category of Sci-Fi then Fantasy, but they are good in their own right.

Someone earlier recommended Record of Lodoss War and I can say that may be something worth checking out first. If I remember correctly it started off as a D&D campaign.

Edited by xoxoagent

Claymore

Definitely!

Berserk

Another definitely!

Death Note

This goes more towards Hunger Games, but great series.

Fullmetal Alchemist and/or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Definitely! :)

Another one about some of the same topics as Hunger Games would be the Code Geass series.

And why not for good measure this one episode:

You'll get why if you watch some minutes past the opening song.

Edited by MMDE