Which is better, Vita original or Vita slim

AbleArcher97

PS Vita original vs PS Vita slim  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, the original Vita or the Vita slim?

I've got both but can't decide between them.

Fat :

+ OLED screen

+ seems more durable

- weight

- select/start buttons

Slim :

+ weight

+ better grip (due to weight)

+ select/start buttons

- LCD screen

And in addition, my Toukiden's fat PSV is much less well finished than my original one. There is slack in the L/R buttons.

So... choose one according to the games you want to play.

Games like Muramasa, or Odin Sphere are incomparable on fat one.
But if you play sport/race games, slim is good.

Edited by GrAmSou

Is it still possible to buy the original version new, from any retailers?

Looks like they're hard to come by if you want one that's new, but a few minutes on Google and I found some available here in the UK. Mostly in weird colours imported from Japan or limited edition boxes with games.

Try the Amazon Marketplace and importers like Play-Asia. Be warned, it looks like there's a big mark up on the original models now that they're rare.

Play-Asia is selling them for the same price as the PSVR and PS4 Pro! £350!

You can never have enough Vitas :awesome:

Wise man! I have a Original White and Slim Black myself. 

But what about if you get stranded on a desert island with just your Vita? You'd be very happy you kept all of your games on one memory card then. These are the very real possibilities you need to consider.  :awesome:

And I dunno... It's nice knowing all of your games are there waiting to be played, even if you have no intention of doing so. What about if Sony decides to pull the plug on Vita's PSN? No more downloading games for you.  :P

This guy knows what he's talking about. The reason for a 64GB memory card is the same reason for a 2TB drive in a PS4, you can never have enough games installed. :) I do think it's pretty unlikely that Sony will kill Vita's PSN anytime soon though, and even if they did you could still transfer games from your PS3, which of course you'd be crazy to not hold on to. 

I guess if you prefer physical games, it's not as big of a deal. But the Vita's library is mostly digital now, and some of us HATE switching game cards on the Vita. Hell, I get frustrated by the precious seconds wasted by game card detection when the system boots up; if I had a 128GB card I wouldn't have ANY physical games for it.*

* I would still buy HDN limited editions, but those don't follow any of my normal gaming logic because Nep.  :blush:

As mentioned above, I have both types. I still mostly play on the Original, so I can't compare them as directly as some others. I do think the screen concerns are overemphasized though, the Slim's screen is fine to me. I agree that the Slim feels cheaper though, it bends a little if you try, unlike the Original. The audio also feels different (not sure it's worse, it just sounds different when using both systems). I haven't played on it long enough to see if the analog sticks wear out faster. 

The Slim has some advantages to the Original too, the buttons are better (at least Start and Select, and arguably PS), the rear touchpad seems better-defined and harder to hit by accident (also easier to hit for those horribly-frustrating times you need to use it in a game), and the charging port is non-proprietary and chances are you have a bunch of Micro USB cables for Android phones, tablets, PS4 controllers, Xbox One controllers (assuming you use the sold-separately charge kit, since Microsoft didn't see the need to use a chargeable controller in 2013... sigh), etc. The benefit of the changed charging port is a BIG plus in my opinion. 

One thing to consider, if you play it a lot like me, is wear and tear. My Original Vita's triggers are getting slightly worn out, to where I have to push them pretty hard sometimes for them to be recognized. The other buttons and analog sticks are fine though. My biggest problem though, is the battery. Mine is no longer holding a full charge, and the battery level isn't reported correctly. Many times it will pop up and show it's almost dead, then a little bit later it shows almost a full charge. It's not a big problem when I'm home but when I'm on the go it's frustrating. I'm not sure if the battery is user-replaceable, and I don't really want to risk losing my Vita with the attempt (unlike for example, a $600 laptop that I don't mind messing around with  :P). The reason I mention wear and tear is that getting a used Original Vita now is more likely to wind up with a dying battery sooner rather than later.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

But the Vita's library is mostly digital now,

Oh really :awesome:

I guess if you prefer physical games, it's not as big of a deal. But the Vita's library is mostly digital now, and some of us HATE switching game cards on the Vita. Hell, I get frustrated by the precious seconds wasted by game card detection when the system boots up; if I had a 128GB card I wouldn't have ANY physical games for it.*

Switching game cards? 

Insert -> Plat game -> install new game -> Plat it -> repeat :D

We have a few Vitas (lots of kids and nephews) and the original is the best one hands down. Both in build quality and mostly and more important the screen is much better, specially if using under sunlight. The rest of the plus and minus have been said here. Lousy start and select buttons, non standard charger connection, more weight, things which are a lot better on the slim. The 1 GB memory on the slim was dumb, as it's almost useless. The slim is better for people with smaller hands. Either Vita is not very friendly for people with big hands.

Just look at both models side by side with the same game and it's easy to see which one strikes you immediately. You can pick second hand units in great condition, burn in on screen is not usual, only issue is that the really first ones had some strange patterns on screen in very dark scenes (OLED mura I think) but only seen instantly.

It's a great handheld gaming machine and with lots of great games.

I've got both but can't decide between them.

Fat :

- weight

Slim :

+ weight

+ better grip (due to weight)

I actually have the opposite opinion about weight and grip for the two. I feel like that 1000 has a better weight and the 2000 feels almost weightless. I've accidentally dropped or thrown my 2000 a few times because I used too much force to pick it up. The extra weight on the 1000 makes it feel more secure in my hands and gives me a better grip.

Is it still possible to buy the original version new, from any retailers?

You should be able to find some on amazon. I got mine from a retailer in Brazil that sold on the US amazon. New ones go for about twice the price of used ones though.

I actually have the opposite opinion about weight and grip for the two. I feel like that 1000 has a better weight and the 2000 feels almost weightless. I've accidentally dropped or thrown my 2000 a few times because I used too much force to pick it up. The extra weight on the 1000 makes it feel more secure in my hands and gives me a better grip.

Just be careful :P

Anyway... for long playing session, Slim got the advantage.

Edited by GrAmSou

I have both (original for me and slim for brother) and while the original Vita have better screen and grip (I prefer heavier), I really like the select/start button on the slim, the different in color doesn't bother me because it's not like I play the same game on both devices.

The battery life also seems better and god praise the micro usb port. I had to replace the cable for my original vita once and it was a pain.

So in the end, they are pretty much equal.

Oh really :awesome:

Yes, especially if you count PS1 and PSP games. Even if you don't, there are tons of indie games for it, and more of them are coming out faster than JRPGs and Visual Novels. Are there any digital-only Vita games in Japan? There certainly are over here (e.g. God Eater Resurrection, which I know has a non-USA physical release). If importing is not feasible or not wanted, digital-only is a reality for quite a few Vita games these days.

Switching game cards? 

Insert -> Plat game -> install new game -> Plat it -> repeat :D

Hmm, I wonder how many people actually only play one game at a time? More power to you if you have the single-mindedness and patience for that, but for me at least, brainless activities like grinding lily ranks in Hyperdevotion Noire have to be broken up by playing other games.

I've also gone back to several games years later and finished them after getting burnt out the first time around (e.g. Assassin's Creed Liberation), another thing a big memory card is great for.

Everyone has their own preferences, so hopefully you better understand why some people like big Vita memory cards now. Not everybody prefers physical games. PC gaming is 99% digital now, and consoles will get there eventually (or almost there, Gamestop will probably ensure there is always some physical market). If Sony made a 128GB Vita memory card at a decent price (e.g. $50), I'd preorder it as soon as I heard about it.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I voted for slim.  My 1000 was stolen, so I got the slim and I noticed the weight immediately.  I travel a lot, so that is a huge benefit, plus the battery life. the screen really made no difference to me, i have the screen darkened anyway for battery life.  One major draw back is it isn't as sturdy as the original.  Similarly, I recently started having left analog drifting issues (that I never had on the other).  It seems to (hopefully) have corrected itself.

Another not so minor improvement is it uses micro usb.  I can connect with any of my cell phone cables and I don't need the adapter.  I don't have as much trouble holding it as I did with the original either.  My hands use to cramp up after a while of playing.

Just found me a used OLED vita. Am very happy with it. Now to find me a HUGE memory card. The 4GB memory card it came with... lol only fit 1 game, and thats the recent free with plus; Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ @3.2GB... I may be able to fit a another much smaller game. but dang.. def. need a better memory card. At least 16GB.

Just found me a used OLED vita. Am very happy with it. Now to find me a HUGE memory card. The 4GB memory card it came with... lol only fit 1 game, and thats the recent free with plus; Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ @3.2GB... I may be able to fit a another much smaller game. but dang.. def. need a better memory card. At least 16GB.

Go bigger. I got the 16, and I have to delete after every game.  Youd be surprised how quickly 14gb evaporates (especially if you have +).  But I also have to buy digital games, since I am abroad. 

Go bigger. I got the 16, and I have to delete after every game.  Youd be surprised how quickly 14gb evaporates (especially if you have +).  But I also have to buy digital games, since I am abroad. 

16 probably will be enough for me as I am going to be a very casual vita user. I think as long as I can fit 3-6 games Ill be a happy camper.

I'm really liking the OLED screen atm, it is beautiful. Just ordered a Hori screen protector and a EVA case, then Im all set to go out into the wilds...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I personally prefer the Slim for the longer battery life, and not needing a proprietary charger. Replacing cables that break on the original is a bit on the annoying side because you have to order one and pray it works whereas with the 2000 model you can just pop into any gas station to get a microUSB cable.

The lower quality screen is a drawback, but honestly I feel the games are still playable and it's not so much of a deal breaker to me.

• Like 1

I had a launch Vita (Feb. 15, 2012) and loved it dearly, gave it to my son 2 years later and got myself a new one, same exact model as my first. Two year later my second original is just as good as my first was at that point, but the first one fell apart [myriad of issues] under my son's tutelage. It's depressing. So I got him a Vita 2000 for his birthday this year. It's weird seeing it around the house, but he's good with it, so far.

I like the feel of the original PS Vita. It's as hefty as it looks. The PS Vita 2000 'seems' to lie about itself, comparatively. The other thing I don't like is all the circles on the PS Vita 2000. It's not good. It's too much, as well as even moreso along with all the Bubbles on the actual OS interface.

As for how games look, sure the 1000 is more vibrant, it'd be ok to see the 2000 screen and play with it, if you have a PS Vita, play it! As much as I don't really like the PS Vita 2000 I sure want to get one, just to have one, and use another PS ID on it. I mean, a Sony PlayStation PS Vita is life, no matter which one it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crazy-Maisy said:

I had a launch Vita (Feb. 15, 2012) and loved it dearly, gave it to my son 2 years later and got myself a new one, same exact model as my first. Two year later my second original is just as good as my first was at that point, but the first one fell apart [myriad of issues] under my son's tutelage. It's depressing. So I got him a Vita 2000 for his birthday this year. It's weird seeing it around the house, but he's good with it, so far.

I like the feel of the original PS Vita. It's as hefty as it looks. The PS Vita 2000 'seems' to lie about itself, comparatively. The other thing I don't like is all the circles on the PS Vita 2000. It's not good. It's too much, as well as even moreso along with all the Bubbles on the actual OS interface.

As for how games look, sure the 1000 is more vibrant, it'd be ok to see the 2000 screen and play with it, if you have a PS Vita, play it! As much as I don't really like the PS Vita 2000 I sure want to get one, just to have one, and use another PS ID on it. I mean, a Sony PlayStation PS Vita is life, no matter which one it is.

This is such a great post, such a great story, such a warm Vita feel, me Vita happy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.9.2016 at 10:49 PM, soultaker655 said:

I'm pretty sure the vita 1000 only came in black and white. My first vita was white, I got it in a bundle with AC3: Liberation.

psvita-sapphire-blue-playstation-vita-wi

psvita-cosmisred-playstation-vita-wi-fi-

On 14.10.2016 at 2:59 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

This guy knows what he's talking about. The reason for a 64GB memory card is the same reason for a 2TB drive in a PS4, you can never have enough games installed. :) I do think it's pretty unlikely that Sony will kill Vita's PSN anytime soon though, and even if they did you could still transfer games from your PS3, which of course you'd be crazy to not hold on to. 

I know, right?! But I had a 64GB card and it bricked after a year. My Vita wasn't booting anymore with that card. It also failed to format it, while secure booting. So, yeah, the card just died.

So, I picked a 32GB after that and I'm fine...

20 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

I know, right?! But I had a 64GB card and it bricked after a year. My Vita wasn't booting anymore with that card. It also failed to format it, while secure booting. So, yeah, the card just died.

So, I picked a 32GB after that and I'm fine...

I've never seen those red and blue original models. If they were sold in the US I never saw them at all. 

Anyway, I have a 32GB in my Vita 2000, and a 64 in my original Vita. Looking through my emails (because I can't remember), my 64GB card shipped from YesAsia on 1/21/2015, so I've been using it for almost 2 years now. I'm not sure why some people have trouble, if it's a defective batch of cards or something? Others like me are fine. 

Now if I could just get my battery to work better in my original Vita, I think it's dying. Yesterday I was out waiting in the car for my wife, and my "full" battery died after launching Superdimension Neptunia. I guess I need to get a new battery... of course I do have multiple portable USB batteries but I forgot to bring it with me. 

I've had my original vita since 2012 and I find it's great and easy to use. The weight is not a big deal and the OLED screen is great benefit to it. 

I have never played on a Vita Slim but from what people have said, I would get an original if you can. If not then just enjoy the Vita no matter what :)

I have both (a wifi/3G original & a slim) and personally, I'd pick the Vita Slim over the original any day.

It's undisputed that the original has a "better screen", but honestly you won't really notice the difference unless you have them side by side, nor are you really losing out by going for the slim's LCD screen.

The original:

• "better" screen (OLED)
  • Heavier (you could argue that it feels more sturdy/durable)

The slim:

• lighter
  • longer battery life
  • Better start/select buttons
  • has a micro-USB charging port

Overall the slim is much easier to bring along when you're travelling as most devices have a micro-USB port (unless you're an iPhone user).