Which is better, Vita original or Vita slim

AbleArcher97

PS Vita original vs PS Vita slim  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, the original Vita or the Vita slim?

Last year in Akihabara at the Hard Off store where everything is 2nd hand, I tried out both the 1000 and 2000, I bought the 1000 due to the screen and the ugly purple metallic cover. It just felt more sturdy and I did notice the screen difference. It was about 2000 yen more but was still cheap and looked after very well by it's previous owner, I think the Japanese respect their consoles. So I only have limited 2000 experience but I loved the 1000 so much, 20 minutes later I bought an adapter transforming the 1000 to a micro usb and a 2nd hand 32gb card.

So yes the original is a beautiful machine, I try to buy as much hard copies as possible whether it's Japanese, Asia of local.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Last year in Akihabara at the Hard Off store where everything is 2nd hand... and looked after very well by it's previous owner, I think the Japanese respect their consoles.

It's not just the consoles. Everything I saw in the Hard OFF/Hobby OFF in Kamonomiya was in immaculate condition and it wasn't just a bunch of modern throwaway items in there. There was a section for audio gear and speakers that included some classic gear from back in the 70's and 80's that looked practically brand new. In the Hobby Off section there were countless toys, models, kits and figurines all mostly in their original boxes. It's definitely a bit of a culture shock coming from the pawn shops in Aus.

There was a Garage OFF across the road and when we walked past there was a teenage boy out the back of the workshop repairing and restoring some old push-bikes - in the pouring rain. You could tell they didn't just oil the chains and stick them in the sales rack. Each bike got a total restoration, tune and polish. I have a lot of love for the Japanese. There's an inherent respectfulness for both self and property that you just don't see in the west.

Edited by IronMask75
Additional Info

17 hours ago, IronMask75 said:

It's not just the consoles. Everything I saw in the Hard OFF/Hobby OFF in Kamonomiya was in immaculate condition and it wasn't just a bunch of modern throwaway items in there. There was a section for audio gear and speakers that included some classic gear from back in the 70's and 80's that looked practically brand new. In the Hobby Off section there were countless toys, models, kits and figurines all mostly in their original boxes. It's definitely a bit of a culture shock coming from the pawn shops in Aus.

There was a Garage OFF across the road and when we walked past there was a teenage boy out the back of the workshop repairing and restoring some old push-bikes - in the pouring rain. You could tell they didn't just oil the chains and stick them in the sales rack. Each bike got a total restoration, tune and polish. I have a lot of love for the Japanese. There's an inherent respectfulness for both self and property that you just don't see in the west.

Another good one is "Book Off. I've bought plenty of games there all over Tokyo, Sapporo and Osaka. Even bought an iPad as a christmas gift from one of the book offs in Osaka and a few Snes cartridges. The off stores in Japan, denden in Osaka or Akihabara in tokyo is like a dream come true to any gamer.

When I bought the 1000, the sales guy was so happy or at least seemed that way. With the ipad they put it through a complete inspection including looking at the screen with the sun reflecting to see if there was any scratches.

Oops, topic. For anyone buying a Vita I think you should try both before buying.

• Like 1

I personally like the original Vita a little more, just because of the better quality screen and how it feels more 'hefty' and we'll-made.

That being said, I do use my Vita slim more just because of the increased battery life and the more universal charging port- even if I forget my vita charging cable, usually someone has a micro-USB laying around that's i can charge my Vita with when I'm visiting relatives or on the go.

After having had both i would have to vote for the slim. The OLED was nice but the USB pot on the slim was the game changer for me, being able to charge my vita with the same cable that can be charged with everything else i use in life was one of the best move's Sony made.  Although this may seem minimal try going online to find the OG vita power cable and be amazed at how expensive it is for the 1st party cable.

16 hours ago, XX_FTW said:

The Walking Dead Bundle includes the original sku. Again, I welcome proof to the contrary. I'd love to track one down if it's a real thing.

The Walking Dead Bundle has the PS Vita 1000 

The Borderlands Bundle has the PS Vita 2000

I've purchased both bundles.

On 06/01/2017 at 4:37 AM, Valyrious said:

I have the slim with an OLED screen, so... I'll say that one.

On 06/01/2017 at 3:06 PM, Valyrious said:

If you buy a particular model, yeah. Look it up. 

On 07/01/2017 at 0:36 AM, Valyrious said:

Research better.

PS Vita Slim The Walking Dead Bundle.

Research better.

The Vita in that bundle is the original Vita 1000, not a Slim.

All evidence so far points to there being no way currently to replace the LCD in the 2000+ with the OLED from the 1000. The screen may be too think to fit inside the case and may have a different connector.