Kill Your Completion... Again(Finished)

I know that it's more a matter of the ideology but non of the people living nowaday have anything to do with the things which happened in the past. I don't say that it is good what happend in the past but it's part of history, and you cann't deny history. In my opinion it is part of a game set during that time and as such should be visible, but I can understand that it is forbidden by law.

I agree that the gameplay isn't affected by all this and the atmosphere is the same with or without the swastikas.

I prefere the German dub over English. It's just easier to listen to your native language than a foreign one no matter how good you understand it. And I don't like reading subtitles all the time as I cann't concentrate on the picture and read at the same time. So I'm glad when games get synchronized in German.

The thing is in a lot of games that have Nazis as enemies, are not even set in a historic setting (Wolfenstein has a fictional adaptation of that era, hence the dinosaur like robots  :P ). They're often chosen as enemies for the sake of it, because originality isn't a thing devs seem to have anymore these days. The most recent example... COD infinite Warfare is about Nazis in space, that concept alone is as dumb as can be. The restrictions regarding propaganda in Germany may be overprotective, but history has a tendency to repeat itself (as cliché as this may sound), and it's shown in recent events across the globe.

Also I don't mind the games being dubbed to German, what annoys me is them wiping the English language option out entirely. The German version of Dishonored/Skyrim let's me choose between 5 different languages, but English ain't one of them.

I know that it's more a matter of the ideology but non of the people living nowaday have anything to do with the things which happened in the past. I don't say that it is good what happend in the past but it's part of history, and you cann't deny history. In my opinion it is part of a game set during that time and as such should be visible, but I can understand that it is forbidden by law.

I agree that the gameplay isn't affected by all this and the atmosphere is the same with or without the swastikas.

I prefere the German dub over English. It's just easier to listen to your native language than a foreign one no matter how good you understand it. And I don't like reading subtitles all the time as I cann't concentrate on the picture and read at the same time. So I'm glad when games get synchronized in German.

The thing is in a lot of games that have Nazis as enemies, are not even set in a historic setting (Wolfenstein has a fictional adaptation of that era, hence the dinosaur like robots  :P ). They're often chosen as enemies for the sake of it, because originality isn't a thing devs seem to have anymore these days. The most recent example... COD infinite Warfare is about Nazis in space, that concept alone is as dumb as can be. The restrictions regarding propaganda in Germany may be overprotective, but history has a tendency to repeat itself (as cliché as this may sound), and it's shown in recent events across the globe.

Also I don't mind the games being dubbed to German, what annoys me is them wiping the English language option out entirely. The German version of Dishonored/Skyrim let's me choose between 5 different languages, but English ain't one of them.

I think this kind of "no swastika" mindset in German media has an unfortunate implication: not showing them, and not having Nazi enemies but more general villains, seems like the Nazis can't be depicted as villains (because none of the high profile media in question paints the Nazis as the heroes).

Personally I get very annoyed by games dubbed in Dutch. I want the original dub, regardless of what it is. Having English subtitles is enough for me. Then again Germany just dubs movies anyway so you all are more accustomed to this practice, in Holland the movies are in their original dub (except for kid's movies, which are shown in both OST and in Dutch dub).

Anyone else thinking about adding a few statistics or a final tally to their final reviews? Or maybe a day or two after? Something along the lines of:

How many plats earned

Story finished, but not platted

Highest/Lowest number of trophies earned

Which games were more enjoyable, ranked from highest to lowest

And of course, starting and final percentages. There's probably a few more I can add.

Edited by Edunstar84
  • Like 1

Anyone else thinking about adding a few statistics or a final tally to their final reviews? Or maybe a day or two after? Something along the lines of:

How many plats earned

And of course, starting and final percentages. There's probably a few more I can add.

This is what I did last time, and I think I'll do it exactly the same this time around:

Complete overview

S42f50a.pngS1033f9.pngS20a51a.pngS8897c2.png

Sf1aba7.pngS172c0f.pngS38212b.png

S63a110.pngS6509f1.png

Sc44001.png

Starting stats:

Completion percentage: 52,79%

Trophies won: 4.835

Unearned trophies: 3.796

Games played: 244

Ending stats:

Completion percentage: 50,95%    decrease of 1,84%

Trophies won: 4.969                       increase of 164

Unearned trophies: 4.087               increase of 291

Games played: 255                        increase of 11

Updates missed: 2                         missed one day of Grid and one day of Mousecraft, did not game at all on those two days.

I only have gone up 11 games even though I started 13 games this month, 14 if we count games with no trophies earned. I guess that games without trophies count for this stat and I must've deleted some empty ones from my card.

Stats per game:

#1: Tropico.

Playtime: 7.5 hours plus additional time during MarkusT1992's run for the co-op trophies

Trophies won: 13/71 (only 51 base game trophies, 5 trophies were obtained aduring co-op) for a weighted completion percentage of 15% ( rank B )

#2: Flame Over.

Playtime: 8 hours

Trophies won: 25/36 for a weighted completion percentage of 51% ( rank A )

#3: Yakuza 4.

Playtime: 3.5 hours

Trophies won: 1/49 for a weighted completion percentage of 15% ( rank E )

#4: ZOMBI.

Playtime: 2.5 hours

Trophies won: 8/21 for a weighted completion percentage of 23% ( rank C )

#5: Chariot.

Playtime: 3.5 hours plus some additional time later on when trying co-op with the missus

Trophies won: 7/37 (1 was obtained during co-op) for a weighted completion percentage of 10% ( rank A )

#6: Bionic Commando Rearmed 2.

Playtime: 2.5 hours

Trophies won: 2/12 for a weighted completion percentage of 9% ( rank C )

#7: SSX.

Playtime: 3 hours

Trophies won: 9/37 for a weighted completion percentage of 17% ( rank C )

#8: Grid Autosport.

Playtime: 1 hour

Trophies won: 3/61 (only 51 are base game trophies) for a weighted completion percentage of 3% ( rank E )

#9: MouseCraft.

Playtime: 2 hours

Trophies won: 4/12 for a weighted completion percentage of 20% ( rank C )

#10: Nova-111.

Playtime: 3 hours

Trophies won: 6/12 for a weighted completion percentage of 35% ( rank A )

Additional games started:

Leo's Fortune. No trophies earned so it doesn't affect the stats.

DOOM. 8/34 for a weighted completion percentage of 12%

Transformers Devastation. 5/31 for a weighted completion percentage of 13%

LEGO Marvel's Avengers. 2/71 for a weighted completion percentage of 2%

Additional games played:

LEGO Star Wars The Force Awakens. 51/55 (new DLC trophies are online, the level with which to get them not yet) for a weighted completion percentage of 94%

10 trophies of this game were obtained before starting this event. The platinum was obtained during the event.

Verdicts looking back:

#1: Tropico (on PS4). :platinum:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in May 2016.

I usually don't play construction games that much but this is definitely a game I want to go back to. Nice music, many options and difficult but rewarding.

#2: Flame Over (on PS4). :platinum:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in March 2016.

It didn't appeal to me at first but I'm glad I kept on going. On of the games I enjoyed most in the end, and the only one which I finished during the event. Will play the Vita version at some point.

#3: Yakuza 4 (on PS3). :hidden:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in February 2015.

It showed promise but what a drag this game became. I dubbed it "Adult Entertainment Industry Manager" and I stand by that. A game called "Yakuza" should try to lure me in with intrigue (like Sleeping Dogs did), not make me choose a woman's clothing she can wear while she chats up dudes.

#4: ZOMBI (on PS4). :bronze:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in April 2016.

The only game I put on the 'abandoned' pile in my backlog which still manages to get a bronze. I enjoyed a lot of this game but there's too much about the gameplay that puts me off. A stupid death system and being a stealth game that gets loads of zerg rushes are the two biggest flaws.

#5: Chariot (on PS3). :gold:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in October 2015.

Fun little puzzle game which I will definitely continue on some day. The only downside is that the game is stylised for two players while only a rare few will play in co-op because you both need to be good at platforming to be able to enjoy this. The game is still very enjoyable on your own.

#6: Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (on PS3). :hidden:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in May 2016.

During my final review I said "This is a game I'll use as an argument for years when talking about mediocre games with some potential being killed by laggy, when not outright broken, controls" and taking the time to figure out what to say more feels like a waste.

#7: SSX (on PS3). :hidden:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in December 2015.

Not a snowboarding game but a Tony Hawk game in disguise. Combining bad level design with moronic excuses for story and characters, I just couldn't bring myself to care for it.

#8: Grid Autosport (on PS3). :silver:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in February 2016.

I would have liked to give this game more time and another chance. Based on the fun the co-op was, I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt for now even though my bad first experience with the career.

#9: MouseCraft (on PS4). :bronze:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in July 2015.

This game has some nice ideas but just falls short for me. In the end it just is not compelling in any way. Such a shame since it started out feeling like a lot of fun.

#10: Nova-111 (on PS4). :platinum:

Final thoughts on last day. PS+ in February 2016.

A lot of fun can be had with this game. If you liked PixelJunk Shooter (Ultimate was on PS+ for PS4 in June 2014) and are not bothered by turn-based elements or if you just like puzzle exploration, you have no reason not to try this.

Final thoughts on the event:

Yeah this was a lot of fun. My completion percentage wasn't crushed nearly as much as I thought it would be, but that's when you get when you just start ten games and keep playing in them for hours instead of getting one trophy and moving on to the next until you have no unplayed game in your backlog left. I prefer this approach. I really enjoyed the last month, even though I've played some horrible games which are now on my card forever, because I also got to know a lot of fun games (Tropico 5, Flame Over and Nova-111 being the top three) all of which I wouldn't have played for months or ever if I hadn't signed up for this event. Count me in for the next one.

I also kept posting updates whenever I finished another game.

Aftermath

Games left to do:

S42f50a.pngS20a51a.pngS8897c2.pngSf1aba7.pngS172c0f.pngS38212b.pngS63a110.png

Games done:

S1033f9.pngSc44001.pngS6509f1.png

Finished Mousecraft today. The second game after the event I finish, third total (Flame Over was finished during the event).

These were my thoughts on its final day, and below my recap at the end of the event:

This game has some nice ideas but just falls short for me. In the end it just is not compelling in any way. Such a shame since it started out feeling like a lot of fun.

I still think that's true. At the start it seemed like such a fun game but it got boring very quickly. It has too few original ideas on its own as a puzzle game, and what little originality is there, doesn't work.

In the end, I just wanted this game done with and used a guide to get through the last quarter of the game quickly so I could focus on games I actually want to play.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

How many plats earned

I can certainly add another post with this stuff, but I'll admit now when I rank games in order it can at times be arbitrary.  I'll try and do it either while it's slow at work or when I get off.

Though I'm thinking I'm the only one who didn't earn any plats from games played for this event.  I did earn three plats, but one was a new short game and two were for the fall backlog challenge, not this.  Only one of my games was really short and it has some very frustrating trophies and is best played in short bursts.

Hello all,

great job continuing on this last week or so.  I've been sporadically checking in but haven't felt motivated to do much more than that. I haven't had my ps3 on over that same period.

Glad to hear you and your family are doing alright.

Gaming is a hobby for most people; if for whatever reason you want nothing to do with it for some period of time, there's nothing wrong with that. It's been interesting to try out different things and see other people's opinions, thank you for starting it up.

Hope things go better for you soon.

I 100% completed Deadly Tower yesterday. I didn't get the time to write a review, going to write one in a bit. THought at first I was just going to write my day two review on the morning of day three, but I might as well write my final review now that I have completely finished the game, since I probably won't do another playthrough today (or get any gaming time at all, really).

I will post my full event stats soon after. Also, as of this writing we're towards the end of page 66. Just wanted to point to this, and to the fact that my final event review of the last event was placed near the top of page 33. Doubling the pre-event chatter didn't work but we did more than double the in-event chatter!

Billy did a good job discussing it in his (Billy, I assume you're a guy) reviews

[...]

All that aside, I am a book and language person and so I enjoyed my time with this and expect it will become a resident on my vita. Even after I have cleared all the trophies, I expect I will pop in occasionally just because. I recommend giving it a go.

Okay, no on to Deadly Towers tonight, as I spent last night with the Sims again. I have a problem.

That made me laugh :) and yeah I'm a guy, but I myself have been corrected on assuming someone was a guy on several occasions now so I try to speak in genderless words :D

What rating would you give Letter Quest on my scale? Going by your post I'm thinking :gold:, possibly :platinum:.

Third, I have no plans at the moment to run another event. This wasn't the catalyst for my leave, merely an innocent bystander which may or may not be permanently affected. I am however, willing to let someone else take over if they're willing.  Send me a pm and we can work on details.

Good luck on the unrelated stuff. Personally I don't mind to take over, but I will wait to see if there's anyone else stepping up since I'm already coordinating at least one event next year, one that takes a whole year at that. If nobody else applies, I will certainly give it my all to keep this series of events alive.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Hello all,

great job continuing on this last week or so.  I've been sporadically checking in but haven't felt motivated to do much more than that. I haven't had my ps3 on over that same period.

Good to hear you're alive and well, you never know with people going full stampede-mode over Black Friday sales.

Anyhow, thanks for running this. Still my favourite type of event, not only for trying out new games, but also for getting to know new people and obviously for being fun :lol:

• Like 1