Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 8/12/2023 at 10:42 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I think if you like the story of XC1 and the gameplay of XC2... XC3 is really the best of both worlds. The story is much darker like in XC1, but the world and it's design and side missions are an improved version of two (I would argue some are required).

I am pretty torn between XC1 and XC3 being my favorite, especially after the DLC in XC3. My only complaint about 3 was how large the maps are and how side missions got repetitive after doing so many, but some people would rather have it chalked full of content. At least most side missions gave you something worthwhile so I guess they respected my 150 hours I spent on it. Lol.

The DLC though has no fluff so to speak and it really felt like everything you did had a purpose so I hope they keep that in their back pocket for future games.

Probably already said something to you previously that was exactly this. Just know that if you like XC2 more than XC1, you'll probably like XC3.

I wanted to report back. I got stuck on a tough boss battle a couple of times and decided to switch over to Casual Mode. I know, I'm a wimp. Now that I don't feel like I have to grind, I can power through random enemies pretty quickly, or run past them. I'm on Chapter 14 now. I think it was maybe Chapter 10 where the story really kicked up a notch. When I made my original post I wasn't really seeing the main story coming together yet, and I think I was too bogged down by side stuff and taking breaks from the game. At this point the main story and characters are definitely keeping me interested.

I think XC2 hooked me more quickly, so I was disappointed that didn't happen here. But now that I'm into it, I am definitely enjoying the ride. I think I'll probably love XC3 since it had the two previous games to use as inspiration for combat. I'm the kind of JRPG player (maybe a rarity) who doesn't enjoy swapping around gear to go from attack 34 to attack 36. I'm in it more for the story.

I recently finished Yakuza Like a Dragon on PS5 (one trophy short of the Platinum but I don't feel like grinding for that final dungeon), and I have Lost Judgment and soon LAD Gaiden (and before long, Infinite Wealth), along with Trails into Reverie to play on PS5. Of course I have XC3 to play on Switch after I finish XC1. Maybe it's a good thing I never have to wait for JRPGs to play. 😂

Super Mario RPG is also preordered and ready to go, so I won't be coming up for air any time soon.

I'm also working my way through the Fire Emblem series. I am playing Path of Radiance now, and once I play the Wii sequel, I'll have played everything besides Sacred Stones. I think that'll come to NSO before too long. I might go back to Three Houses after that. I only did the Edelgard path when I first played it (at that point I had only played Awakening and some of Fates), so I have a lot of experience under my belt to hopefully do better going back to it. Maybe this time I'll be good enough to finish the DLC side story.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I wanted to report back. I got stuck on a tough boss battle a couple of times and decided to switch over to Casual Mode. I know, I'm a wimp. Now that I don't feel like I have to grind, I can power through random enemies pretty quickly, or run past them. I'm on Chapter 14 now. I think it was maybe Chapter 10 where the story really kicked up a notch. When I made my original post I wasn't really seeing the main story coming together yet, and I think I was too bogged down by side stuff and taking breaks from the game. At this point the main story and characters are definitely keeping me interested.

I think XC2 hooked me more quickly, so I was disappointed that didn't happen here. But now that I'm into it, I am definitely enjoying the ride. I think I'll probably love XC3 since it had the two previous games to use as inspiration for combat. I'm the kind of JRPG player (maybe a rarity) who doesn't enjoy swapping around gear to go from attack 34 to attack 36. I'm in it more for the story.

I recently finished Yakuza Like a Dragon on PS5 (one trophy short of the Platinum but I don't feel like grinding for that final dungeon), and I have Lost Judgment and soon LAD Gaiden (and before long, Infinite Wealth), along with Trails into Reverie to play on PS5. Of course I have XC3 to play on Switch after I finish XC1. Maybe it's a good thing I never have to wait for JRPGs to play. 😂

Super Mario RPG is also preordered and ready to go, so I won't be coming up for air any time soon.

I'm also working my way through the Fire Emblem series. I am playing Path of Radiance now, and once I play the Wii sequel, I'll have played everything besides Sacred Stones. I think that'll come to NSO before too long. I might go back to Three Houses after that. I only did the Edelgard path when I first played it (at that point I had only played Awakening and some of Fates), so I have a lot of experience under my belt to hopefully do better going back to it. Maybe this time I'll be good enough to finish the DLC side story.

Appreciate the report back!

Yeah, you probably see what I mean now when I'm like, I REALLY enjoyed the Story of 1 and the combat of 2 (and felt like 3 was the best of both worlds which is why I think you'll like that one the best).

With what you said about equipment... well, nice thing is your stats only change with leveling up and your choice in classes in XC3. XC3 focuses on partners that join your party and classes and honestly, you could stick to the original 6 and be fine. Though, the fun is mixing and matching classes and using chain attacks with different partners to do insane damage. And most classes are received as a reward for side content which makes it much more meaningful than the side content in 1 and 2. Luckily, they are marked on your map too to differentiate themselves.

I know it'll be a while before you get to 3, but would still love to hear your thoughts on XC3.

• Like 1

Nintendo has begun work on a film for The Legend of Zelda series...

...with Wes Ball (director of the Maze Runner trilogy) directing, Avi Arad (producer and executive producer of numerous Marvel movies, including the recent MCU Spider-Man films and the Venom duology) and Shigeru Miyamoto himself on board as producers, and Sony Pictures co-financing the production alongside Nintendo themselves.

Funny that Sony of all companies is co-financing this (even if it's their film branch rather than their gaming one/PlayStation), but why in the absolute, ever-living FUCK is it not animated instead???? Especially after the massive success of the Mario movie, no less???? Gonna be hot garbage regardless, calling it now. lol Here's hoping I'm wrong, though.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Appreciate the report back!

Yeah, you probably see what I mean now when I'm like, I REALLY enjoyed the Story of 1 and the combat of 2 (and felt like 3 was the best of both worlds which is why I think you'll like that one the best).

With what you said about equipment... well, nice thing is your stats only change with leveling up and your choice in classes in XC3. XC3 focuses on partners that join your party and classes and honestly, you could stick to the original 6 and be fine. Though, the fun is mixing and matching classes and using chain attacks with different partners to do insane damage. And most classes are received as a reward for side content which makes it much more meaningful than the side content in 1 and 2. Luckily, they are marked on your map too to differentiate themselves.

I know it'll be a while before you get to 3, but would still love to hear your thoughts on XC3.

Also I just realized why one character's voice was familiar - it's Daddy Pig from Peppa Pig! (at least the original voice actor, I think several of the actors changed over time):

I'm American and I enjoy the sometimes-silly British voices. I watch a lot of British sitcoms and some dramas too, and I didn't come across "geyser" until XC1, which everyone pronounced as "geezer", like an old person. I found that very funny.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also I just realized why one character's voice was familiar - it's Daddy Pig from Peppa Pig! (at least the original voice actor, I think several of the actors changed over time):

I'm American and I enjoy the sometimes-silly British voices. I watch a lot of British sitcoms and some dramas too, and I didn't come across "geyser" until XC1, which everyone pronounced as "geezer", like an old person. I found that very funny.

I love the VAs in all of them. Granted, I like British accents in general so it never once bothered me that they didn't redo it with American VAs. Too funny that Peppa Pig's dad's VA is in Xenoblade. XD

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Nintendo has begun work on a film for The Legend of Zelda series...

...with Wes Ball (director of the Maze Runner trilogy) directing, Avi Arad (producer and executive producer of numerous Marvel movies, including the recent MCU Spider-Man films and the Venom duology) and Shigeru Miyamoto himself on board as producers, and Sony Pictures co-financing the production alongside Nintendo themselves.

Funny that Sony of all companies is co-financing this (even if it's their film branch rather than their gaming one/PlayStation), but why in the absolute, ever-living FUCK is it not animated instead???? Especially after the massive success of the Mario movie, no less???? Gonna be hot garbage regardless, calling it now. lol Here's hoping I'm wrong, though.

Animation is more expensive than live action plus there's the potential of star power that animation can't properly utilize

Edited by majob
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, majob said:

Animation is more expensive than live action plus there's the potential of star power that animation can't properly utilize

I meant that in the sense that live-action is a bad fit, not the literal why.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Idk , is there something I’m missing that it can’t be done ? Peter Jackson did bring us lord of the rings to the cinema

hell , against all odds we got a live action one piece that is good !

The Lord of The Rings (at least the films) is extremely different despite surface level similarities that exist between the two. Zelda is a lot more lighthearted throughout and "cartoony" (for a lack of a better term), even in the case of Twilight Princess specifically. Live-action won't capture the more nuanced aspects of the series and its identity to nearly the same extent that animation would, and that's not even getting into it fully. This is also Hollywood that we're talking about here, so chances are that - even with Miyamoto's and Nintendo's involvement - they're going to focus on the serious aspect too much. Getting good picks for characters is also way more of a problem (if Link isn't hot, I stg lol).

True, but this is an adaptation of a 30-year-old video game series and not a (imo) massively overrated anime/manga. That, and this is a movie and not a series (which would've been preferable). I'm not saying that it'll be bad because it's live-action, just that it's more likely to miss aspects that would translate better through animation.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I love the VAs in all of them. Granted, I like British accents in general so it never once bothered me that they didn't redo it with American VAs. Too funny that Peppa Pig's dad's VA is in Xenoblade. XD

Agreed, the accents are part of the charm. This was one of my favorite moments of XC2, and I think when I was fully hooked. I hope XC3 has some silly moments like this.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Zephrese said:

I meant that in the sense that live-action is a bad fit, not the literal why.

With today's CGI technology, live action Zelda doesn't sound too bad and it's easier and faster to put live action projects into a pipeline than animation. Sony hasn't even started work on Beyond the Spiderverse yet due to the strike and that project will be setback a year or two now. Live action Zelda can get a script, make some casting calls, and get to work in a matter of weeks,

Also not  gonna lie, I'm a big fan of the 93 Mario movie so a part of me is looking forward to a campy live action Zelda movie

Edited by majob
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, majob said:

With today's CGI technology, live action Zelda doesn't sound too bad

Animation would still generally capture the essence of the series better (if the animation is good, that is). I've also already stated in that same post you've quoted that I don't need to know the literal whys of them going this route because it's obvious. I just think it wasn't a good route to choose despite their logic behind doing it (feel vs. money is sorta what I'm getting at here).

If they can for the most part properly pull off the feel, then more power to 'em (I would've been more critical of it than the Mario movie regardless of if it was live-action or animated). However, even then it'll be missing something that only animation can really achieve, and that CG for a live-action film just can't (unless you overuse it, like 90% of Hollywood slop nowadays). Granted I myself wanted a live-action film at one point, but that was when I was an angsty teenager who wanted everything to be realistic and have blood in it. lol Again, I don't expect it to be bad because of it being live-action (I don't have high hopes either way), but I do think that, at the very least - and visually speaking specifically -, it'll be missing something that only (good) animation can really give to it. Not sure if "soul" is the right term to go with here, but that's what I'll be using.

Kind of feel like I'm repeating myself a lot now, so I'll just leave it at that. lol

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

My prediction: this Zelda movie will suck 😄.

Avi Arad has produced a lot of stuff, including a lot of mid-to-bad comic book and game adaptations. Wes Ball made some mid movies, as mentioned above. But look who's writing this adaptation. Again, the track record is not the best. I can't imagine how anything good can come out of this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slava said:

My prediction: this Zelda movie will suck 😄.

Avi Arad has produced a lot of stuff, including a lot of mid-to-bad comic book and game adaptations. Wes Ball made some mid movies, as mentioned above. But look who's writing this adaptation. Again, the track record is not the best. I can't imagine how anything good can come out of this.

Can only hope that Miyamoto's and Nintendo's direct involvement will save things or keep it on course, but I don't expect a lot of good to come out of it either way. I'd love for it to be good, or even just decent, though. I guess the novelty of having a Zelda movie at all would be pretty neat regardless, but since Zelda is my favorite series I'm still pretty pessimistic about all of this.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Animation would still generally capture the essence of the series better (if the animation is good, that is). I've also already stated in that same post you've quoted that I don't need to know the literal whys of them going this route because it's obvious. I just think it wasn't a good route to choose despite their logic behind doing it (feel vs. money is sorta what I'm getting at here).

If they can for the most part properly pull off the feel, then more power to 'em (I would've been more critical of it than the Mario movie regardless of if it was live-action or animated). However, even then it'll be missing something that only animation can really achieve, and that CG for a live-action film just can't (unless you overuse it, like 90% of Hollywood slop nowadays). Granted I myself wanted a live-action film at one point, but that was when I was an angsty teenager who wanted everything to be realistic and have blood in it. lol Again, I don't expect it to be bad because of it being live-action (I don't have high hopes either way), but I do think that, at the very least - and visually speaking specifically -, it'll be missing something that only (good) animation can really give to it. Not sure if "soul" is the right term to go with here, but that's what I'll be using.

Kind of feel like I'm repeating myself a lot now, so I'll just leave it at that. lol

Yeah sorry I tend to repeat myself when I don't need to and I get your point but I see the merit of a live action film with the right special effects and hopefully animatronics in the right spots instead of CGI and you've got a real blockbuster imo. I've honestly always preferred my fantasy to be live action, it just lends itself to the genre better. I could honestly see Metroid, if they ever do it, being live action as well.

1 hour ago, Zephrese said:

Can only hope that Miyamoto's and Nintendo's direct involvement will save things or keep it on course, but I don't expect a lot of good to come out of it either way. I'd love for it to be good, or even just decent, though. I guess the novelty of having a Zelda movie at all would be pretty neat regardless, but since Zelda is my favorite series I'm still pretty pessimistic about all of this.

Nintendo kept a close eye on the Mario Brothers movie by Illumination so I'd keep the faith. IIRC the first draft of the film was completely scrapped after Nintendo saw it and didn't like what they saw

• Like 2

I've been playing Skyward Sword and I feel like I'm nearing the end of the game. Overall it's... a good game. It's not gonna get a place in my favorite Zelda games, but it has that Zelda feel to it and it's still enjoyable. But holy hell, this is the WORST controlling Nintendo game I've ever played.

I get that the game was originally made for the Wii with motion controls in mind, and for all I know it plays much better on that system (I bought it on Wii but never got around to playing it... one of several games Nintendo got me to buy twice!). But if like me you'd much rather play with a standard controller and eschew the Joy-Con motion controls, you're in for a rough time. Among the worst problems:

• The right stick swings your sword, which is weird on its own. It also controls the camera, but only if you remember to hold down L first, which is doubly weird. Need to swing the camera around and swing your sword at the same time? Awkward!
  • ZL automatically centers the camera behind you. It's also the lock-on button. You need to be pretty damn close to an enemy to lock on, so if you're approaching a foe from the side or something, or if an enemy is approaching you, and you think you're close enough to lock-on, but you're not quite close enough... the camera will center behind you at the worst time and you won't see the enemy who's about to attack you. If that happens, get ready to deal with problem #1 above.

Frustrating for sure, but not insurmountable. Maybe I just find the controls more annoying than others. A bit of venting on my part, but also a fair warning to anyone thinking of playing the game.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, majob said:

I could honestly see Metroid, if they ever do it, being live action as well.

Ngl. A live action Metroid would be sick. I think I'd be more upset if that was animated.

However, I'm always a wait-and-see sort of person on movies. Hard to call it crap until you at least know the storyboard or who the actors and actresses are (to some extent) or even see a trailer of the style.

I also value an audience score over critics score too as most movies are filmed to appeal to the masses, not to be analyzed and criticized on every scene. So even if the critics hate this movie pre-release, I'll probably still go see it for myself anyways.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Frustrating for sure, but not insurmountable. Maybe I just find the controls more annoying than others. A bit of venting on my part, but also a fair warning to anyone thinking of playing the game.

The camera stuff in SSHD is a bit... awkward, to say the least, but it's better than not being able to move the camera at all (as was the case with the original Wii version of the game). It didn't take too long for me to get used to the controls (thankfully) in the remaster, and I ended up really liking how they mapped everything in it compared to the finicky controls of the original. It's definitely not the best setup overall, but I think that the developers did the most that they could with what Nintendo provided them.

33 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Ngl. A live action Metroid would be sick. I think I'd be more upset if that was animated.

I also value an audience score over critics score too as most movies are filmed to appeal to the masses, not to be analyzed and criticized on every scene. So even if the critics hate this movie pre-release, I'll probably still go see it for myself anyways.

Live-action would definitely be a better fit for Metroid than it would be for Zelda, for sure.

Eh, for me it depends because I've seen instances where both critics and audiences don't know what the fuck they're talking about (albeit not necessarily at the same time). I'm going to see the movie either way - even if it looks like shit after the initial trailers come out in however many years - because otherwise I can't really call myself a "Zelda Zealot" then, now can I? lol Plus, I saw the Mario movie in theaters too (my experience was sadly kind of ruined due to annoyingly loud teenagers that kept walking in and out, as well as the theater's AC making weird noises near me, but I digress lmao).

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

Ok, last bit of Mario RPG crap from me.

Nintendo put up a new video for the release in a couple days:

>shows opening of door to Culex fight
>fade out
>goes quiet
>smash cut to different thing, no Culex FF4 theme

angry-video-game-nerd-angry-video-game-c

All the live-action Zelda movie needs to be is 45 minutes of some variation of this:

botw-link.gif

..and we have movie of the year, breaking all records and paving the way for the Nintendo cinematic universe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

However, I'm always a wait-and-see sort of person on movies. Hard to call it crap until you at least know the storyboard or who the actors and actresses are (to some extent) or even see a trailer of the style.

Elizabeth Debicki would be the perfect Samus, she's got the height and the looks and she'd just have to put on a little extra muscle but they usually use suits for that anyway these days.

Critic scores are typically bought and paid for if anyone follows Disney and how they operate with critics. It's never worthwhile to place stock in them but sometimes I find audience scores can be wrong too. Two of my favorite films Super Mario Bothers 1993 and Guy Richie's Revolver have terrible to bad audience scores. It never hurts to just watch a movie you just find interesting, you could end up pleasantly surprised 

Edited by majob
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, majob said:

Elizabeth Debicki would be the perfect Samus, she's got the height and the looks and she'd just have to put on a little extra muscle but they usually use suits for that anyway these days.

Critic scores are typically bought and paid for if anyone follows Disney and how they operate with critics. It's never worthwhile to place stock in them but sometimes I find audience scores can be wrong too. Two of my favorite films Super Mario Bothers 1993 and Guy Richie's Revolver have terrible to bad audience scores. It never hurts to just watch a movie you just find interesting, you could end up pleasantly surprised 

True, one of my favorite movies is "Love Guru" with Mike Myers and it was mutually hated by everyone! 🤣

I think it's only a matter of time before all the Nintendo IPs have movies... I mean, they got to be working towards this, right?

n___i___s___p___w__super_smash_bros_movi

• Like 3