Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 11/19/2023 at 12:22 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

I started XC3 and the tone feels less "anime" than either XC1 or XC2 so far. It's more serious than I was expecting but I'll keep playing. The characters are starting to shape up and the gameplay is great as usual.

I just started Chapter 5 of XC3. I think Chapter 3 was where it all stated to click. I was not in love with the beginning of the game because it felt so grim but now it's really gotten me engaged, and the characters are a lot of fun. 

I've been enjoying the side quests and playing them all (with the exception of a few where I need collectibles I don't have yet), but now I'm overleved. I'm level 53 and it's harder to unlock classes now because I'm higher level than 90% of the enemies I'm seeing. I've stopped using bonus XP at campsites so hopefully I'll start to level out. I wish I could level down at camp though. Oh well, the game is still great and I'm looking forward to where the story goes next. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I just started Chapter 5 of XC3. I think Chapter 3 was where it all stated to click. I was not in love with the beginning of the game because it felt so grim but now it's really gotten me engaged, and the characters are a lot of fun. 

I've been enjoying the side quests and playing them all (with the exception of a few where I need collectibles I don't have yet), but now I'm overleved. I'm level 53 and it's harder to unlock classes now because I'm higher level than 90% of the enemies I'm seeing. I've stopped using bonus XP at campsites so hopefully I'll start to level out. I wish I could level down at camp though. Oh well, the game is still great and I'm looking forward to where the story goes next. 

I think you unlock the ability to level down at some point, but I think it's after you beat the game or when you get to a certain point late game.

It does even out at some point as leveling up starts to take a LOT of exp. to level up. I'd focus on the classes you enjoy and be sure to try them all. There are some really underrated ones in there that seem pretty bad at the beginning. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 6:51 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I think you unlock the ability to level down at some point, but I think it's after you beat the game or when you get to a certain point late game.

It does even out at some point as leveling up starts to take a LOT of exp. to level up. I'd focus on the classes you enjoy and be sure to try them all. There are some really underrated ones in there that seem pretty bad at the beginning. 

Cool, thanks for the tip.

I just started Chapter 6.

I just want to give a shout out to the side quests in XC3. They did a great job of taking what look like fetch quest busywork and giving them story relevance. I just finished the Colony 9 quest line and it was nice how it all came together. The writing is really good here I think. I think this is the best the side quests have been in the series, and I look forward to what comes next for the series (whether XC4 or something else).

Another thing, I know some people only play Japanese games with original voices, and I don't want to get into that whole debate. I'm not on either extreme. I have played all but the second Judgment game and the Ishin spinoff of the Yakuza series, all in Japanese (it helps that the localization team does such a great job with the subtitles)*, and I'd never consider playing in English. That series is distinctly Japanese, taking place in a fictional version of real-world Japan, referencing other real-world countries as well. But for fantasy games that aren't obviously taking place in a version of Japan, I tend to prefer English dubs if they're available. Anyway I think the English XC dubs get better each time, and the one for XC3 is really quite good IMO.

Spoiler

I'll never get tired of Mio's Welsh accent, it's heavenly. I think the VA did a particularly good job conveying Mio's growing dread at her term coming to an end.

Another highlight for me is the Pirate Moebius guy who can be recruited as a playable Hero. That whole questline was some of the funniest, most enjoyable side content I've played. Awesome stuff (it helps that I love pirates).

Anyway if people prefer the Japanese audio, that's cool, but I just wanted to call out how much I like the English dub here.

This is shaping up to be my favorite in the series so far. Well done, Monolith Soft.

Oh, and since it's 2024 now, Switch 2 rumors, blah blah blah. I'm still happy with the older specs of the Switch. That said I do notice the graphical downgrade when playing XC3 and going from docked to handheld. I wouldn't complain about a backwards-compatible Switch 2 having a 1080p handheld default resolution, especially if all the existing Switch games automagically play "docked mode performance" in Switch 2 handheld mode. If the Switch 2 can do something between 1080p and 4k, or a more stable 1080p, that's honestly fine with me. I have a PS5 but when I'm playing on Switch I'm usually enjoying the games so much that I don't notice the lower graphical fidelity. I'm still not sure we'll get the next system this year or next, or if Nintendo does something truly out of left field. I wouldn't mind seeing all the rumor mongers embarrassed again for being wrong. 😅

* Somehow I haven't picked up any Japanese, despite playing 11 Yakuza franchise games... I have no skill for language.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Cool, thanks for the tip.

I just started Chapter 6.

I just want to give a shout out to the side quests in XC3. They did a great job of taking what look like fetch quest busywork and giving them story relevance. I just finished the Colony 9 quest line and it was nice how it all came together. The writing is really good here I think. I think this is the best the side quests have been in the series, and I look forward to what comes next for the series (whether XC4 or something else).

Another thing, I know some people only play Japanese games with original voices, and I don't want to get into that whole debate. I'm not on either extreme. I have played all but the second Judgment game and the Ishin spinoff of the Yakuza series, all in Japanese (it helps that the localization team does such a great job with the subtitles)*, and I'd never consider playing in English. That series is distinctly Japanese, taking place in a fictional version of real-world Japan, referencing other real-world countries as well. But for fantasy games that aren't obviously taking place in a version of Japan, I tend to prefer English dubs if they're available. Anyway I think the English XC dubs get better each time, and the one for XC3 is really quite good IMO.

Hide contents

I'll never get tired of Mio's Welsh accent, it's heavenly. I think the VA did a particularly good job conveying Mio's growing dread at her term coming to an end.

Another highlight for me is the Pirate Moebius guy who can be recruited as a playable Hero. That whole questline was some of the funniest, most enjoyable side content I've played. Awesome stuff (it helps that I love pirates).

Anyway if people prefer the Japanese audio, that's cool, but I just wanted to call out how much I like the English dub here.

This is shaping up to be my favorite in the series so far. Well done, Monolith Soft.

Oh, and since it's 2024 now, Switch 2 rumors, blah blah blah. I'm still happy with the older specs of the Switch. That said I do notice the graphical downgrade when playing XC3 and going from docked to handheld. I wouldn't complain about a backwards-compatible Switch 2 having a 1080p handheld default resolution, especially if all the existing Switch games automagically play "docked mode performance" in Switch 2 handheld mode. If the Switch 2 can do something between 1080p and 4k, or a more stable 1080p, that's honestly fine with me. I have a PS5 but when I'm playing on Switch I'm usually enjoying the games so much that I don't notice the lower graphical fidelity. I'm still not sure we'll get the next system this year or next, or if Nintendo does something truly out of left field. I wouldn't mind seeing all the rumor mongers embarrassed again for being wrong. 😅

* Somehow I haven't picked up any Japanese, despite playing 11 Yakuza franchise games... I have no skill for language.

I've always loved the VAs for XC. People shit on them all the time because they all have European accents, but I think they're awesome. I really, really liked Mio's, Noah's, Lanz's and Eunie's in particular in XC3. Especially when Eunie and Lanz get into arguments or "curse." They were just so funny and cheeky about it. 

This also means you must got past Mio's homecoming? Oh man, that shook me. It felt almost like the movie "The Presige" with the shock value of it. Probably one of my favorite moments in the series if not my favorite. I legit didn't realize the swap until after they started to explain it. I was like, "OHHH, OMG. NO, NO WAY!" I think N and I were on the same wavelength. 

I did like after the dust settled with that emotional roller coaster that they added in the bit to keep her hair long or short. It kind of let everything feel normal again with the group and gave you something funny and frivolous to decide.

The Mio boss fight btw was one of the most interesting fights in the game imo. Overleveling your characters will actually hurt you in that battle and I pretty much had to set up a new lineup SPECIFICALLY to counter her ability. I know some people hate having to lose a battle and adjusting their team to beat a specific boss in games, but I actually thought that having to rethink your strategy is part of the fun. She kept controlling either Noah or Taion who were both Metal Jaguar who would use an AOE attack and just demolish my healers. I ended up using 4 healers that battle and only 1 attacker and 1 defender instead of the normal 3 attackers, 2 healers, 1 defender I typically use

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I've always loved the VAs for XC. People shit on them all the time because they all have European accents, but I think they're awesome. I really, really liked Mio's, Noah's, Lanz's and Eunie's in particular in XC3. Especially when Eunie and Lanz get into arguments or "curse." They were just so funny and cheeky about it. 

Hide contents

This also means you must got past Mio's homecoming? Oh man, that shook me. It felt almost like the movie "The Presige" with the shock value of it. Probably one of my favorite moments in the series if not my favorite. I legit didn't realize the swap until after they started to explain it. I was like, "OHHH, OMG. NO, NO WAY!" I think N and I were on the same wavelength. 

I did like after the dust settled with that emotional roller coaster that they added in the bit to keep her hair long or short. It kind of let everything feel normal again with the group and gave you something funny and frivolous to decide.

The Mio boss fight btw was one of the most interesting fights in the game imo. Overleveling your characters will actually hurt you in that battle and I pretty much had to set up a new lineup SPECIFICALLY to counter her ability. I know some people hate having to lose a battle and adjusting their team to beat a specific boss in games, but I actually thought that having to rethink your strategy is part of the fun. She kept controlling either Noah or Taion who were both Metal Jaguar who would use an AOE attack and just demolish my healers. I ended up using 4 healers that battle and only 1 attacker and 1 defender instead of the normal 3 attackers, 2 healers, 1 defender I typically use

Yeah I've been mostly sticking to the original role lineup of 2 of each class, but that story fight took away the Hero I had on my team (for story reasons I guess), which made a difference. I think I had to retry that battle also.

The story has surprised me several times so far, including that part!

Yeah there's a lot of humor in the little moments in the game. It's all good stuff. I saw it mentioned that Riku's Japanese VA sounds like a "regular Nopon", which I've always liked the Nopon, but him having a low English voice is funny, it's like he hung around soldiers and wanted to sound tough.

By the way I think the formatting here is messed up, I replied to your spoiler text but it may not be obvious!

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah there's a lot of humor in the little moments in the game. It's all good stuff. I saw it mentioned that Riku's Japanese VA sounds like a "regular Nopon", which I've always liked the Nopon, but him having a low English voice is funny, it's like he hung around soldiers and wanted to sound tough.

By the way I think the formatting here is messed up, I replied to your spoiler text but it may not be obvious!

No worries. I did see that! :)

And yeah, I started off doing 2 x 2 x 2 and usually tried out the new hero when I got one (or Isurd for boss battles/unique monsters). However, once I got Ashera, I noticed that having 2 Sentinels battle it out for aggro (especially with a defender hero) was a bit of a waste and that the team could use another attacker or healer instead as the overleveling caught up to me and unique monsters got stronger. I normally went extra attacker because they are way more useful in chain attacks than healers and my whole setup was to get chain attacks as quickly as possible. However, I say this, but for the ultimate side bosses, I used two of each to ensure my attackers never got targeted in case my defender went down. 

I'd be curious to know what classes you particularly are fond of using. I think there are a ton of great ones. I can share my setup, but a lot of classes I use are late game/post game classes with spoilers. Though, weirdly enough, Zephyr (Mio's class) maxed out was the one I normally controlled with Noah from my end game setup and is my favorite defender class to use. Old, but gold!

• Like 1

I didn’t get either of my Switch picks for Christmas (SMB Wonder and DQM),so trying to decide which first. :hmm:

Also, think we’ll get the announcement of Switch’s successor before or after Summer Game Fest? Seriously doubt during.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:45 AM, Don_Chipotle said:

Hi, im looking for exclusive switch games that you consider to be fun in general, doesnt need to be a "hidden gem", but a game that you really liked, thanks for the replies

The entire Xenoblade Chronicles trilogy, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, Fire Emblem Engage, Shin Megami Tensei V (though this may eventually make its way over to PS), and Legend of Zelda BoTW/ToTK are some of the most fun I've had on the Switch. There's also plenty of mini reviews of several exclusives in this thread (Mario Odyssey, Mario Wonder, Kirby, etc.)  where people have raved about them.

I would also say Pokémon, but the recent games run like such dogshit that it's literally impossible for me to recommend anyone in good faith unless you are a huge Pokémon fan or want to get into competitive Pokémon (competitive online, imo is the best it has ever been). Sword and Shield had their flaws, but they at least didn't lag super hard or freeze when going into different areas or have windmills that laughably spin at 6 FPS. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

No worries. I did see that! :)

And yeah, I started off doing 2 x 2 x 2 and usually tried out the new hero when I got one (or Isurd for boss battles/unique monsters). However, once I got Ashera, I noticed that having 2 Sentinels battle it out for aggro (especially with a defender hero) was a bit of a waste and that the team could use another attacker or healer instead as the overleveling caught up to me and unique monsters got stronger. I normally went extra attacker because they are way more useful in chain attacks than healers and my whole setup was to get chain attacks as quickly as possible. However, I say this, but for the ultimate side bosses, I used two of each to ensure my attackers never got targeted in case my defender went down. 

I'd be curious to know what classes you particularly are fond of using. I think there are a ton of great ones. I can share my setup, but a lot of classes I use are late game/post game classes with spoilers. Though, weirdly enough, Zephyr (Mio's class) maxed out was the one I normally controlled with Noah from my end game setup and is my favorite defender class to use. Old, but gold!

My class usage is kind of haphazard right now. I've never been a big min-maxer or focused much on "builds" in RPGs. It's kind of a secondary consideration for me. In fact it took me a while to realize that switching roles often un-equips arts, gems, and accessories in XC3, I think the reason for which is that some of them are role-specific. At one point I realized "oh Lanz has no gems on, but he did before" or something like that. So yeah, I'm rarely very optimized... I guess being overleveled makes it easy to ignore.

All that being said, I've been trying to unlock hero classes for the whole party, as I get new heroes on the team. One interesting thing I noticed, which I'm not looking up online because of spoilers, is that I have 3 locked characters on the Class Selection screen, but 5 empty slots in the Hero Roster screen. Hmm. Oh and I have the season pass and already unlocked both DLC characters and did their ascension quests. I have 16 heroes available (one of which I can't select for story reasons, but of course their class is available to the party members who unlocked it), 7 of whom have ascended. Anyway, I switch classes once I hit the max, but at some point I guess I'll have them all maxed out. I'm pretty boring so I may just stick with their default classes once I hit that point!

I think the Soulhacker class is pretty interesting because it's different. I think I looked through the list so I could unlock a few skills and arts of unique monsters I'd already defeated, but after doing a couple of those I just keep an eye out for unique monsters (or graves) that are on my route as I'm doing side quests and such, and if I see them, I'll switch Lanz to that class and fight the monster to unlock something. But for the kind of RPG gamer I am, if I actually fought a lot of those unique monsters I'd probably get overwhelmed by the choices available. So probably a class more for the real customizer gamers.

I guess long story short, I'm still kind of dabbling around with the classes and don't have any real favorites yet. At this point I notice things like how the default outfits and attack animations look, and the Full Metal Jaguar definitely stands out with its style.

I always try to end battles with a chain attack, I've gotten the rhythm down pretty well now. I don't think it matters too much for overleveled fights (like when I'm doing a side quest that's 20 levels below my current level), but for enemies that are -5 levels or higher (I think), defeating the final enemy with the first chain attack and then getting the bonuses from a full 3 attacks plus Ourorboros finisher, does a lot for unlocking hero classes and such. I do go for chain attacks earlier in boss fights though, especially if most of the party is at low health, getting healed during the chain attack can be a lifesaver.

Right now I'm level 67 by the way, and the Chapter 6 story quest is recommended level 48. Ha. I keep getting sucked in by side quests, but I do want to get back to the story too...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

My class usage is kind of haphazard right now. I've never been a big min-maxer or focused much on "builds" in RPGs. It's kind of a secondary consideration for me. In fact it took me a while to realize that switching roles often un-equips arts, gems, and accessories in XC3, I think the reason for which is that some of them are role-specific. At one point I realized "oh Lanz has no gems on, but he did before" or something like that. So yeah, I'm rarely very optimized... I guess being overleveled makes it easy to ignore.

All that being said, I've been trying to unlock hero classes for the whole party, as I get new heroes on the team. One interesting thing I noticed, which I'm not looking up online because of spoilers, is that I have 3 locked characters on the Class Selection screen, but 5 empty slots in the Hero Roster screen. Hmm. Oh and I have the season pass and already unlocked both DLC characters and did their ascension quests. I have 16 heroes available (one of which I can't select for story reasons, but of course their class is available to the party members who unlocked it), 7 of whom have ascended. Anyway, I switch classes once I hit the max, but at some point I guess I'll have them all maxed out. I'm pretty boring so I may just stick with their default classes once I hit that point!

I think the Soulhacker class is pretty interesting because it's different. I think I looked through the list so I could unlock a few skills and arts of unique monsters I'd already defeated, but after doing a couple of those I just keep an eye out for unique monsters (or graves) that are on my route as I'm doing side quests and such, and if I see them, I'll switch Lanz to that class and fight the monster to unlock something. But for the kind of RPG gamer I am, if I actually fought a lot of those unique monsters I'd probably get overwhelmed by the choices available. So probably a class more for the real customizer gamers.

I guess long story short, I'm still kind of dabbling around with the classes and don't have any real favorites yet. At this point I notice things like how the default outfits and attack animations look, and the Full Metal Jaguar definitely stands out with its style.

I always try to end battles with a chain attack, I've gotten the rhythm down pretty well now. I don't think it matters too much for overleveled fights (like when I'm doing a side quest that's 20 levels below my current level), but for enemies that are -5 levels or higher (I think), defeating the final enemy with the first chain attack and then getting the bonuses from a full 3 attacks plus Ourorboros finisher, does a lot for unlocking hero classes and such. I do go for chain attacks earlier in boss fights though, especially if most of the party is at low health, getting healed during the chain attack can be a lifesaver.

Right now I'm level 67 by the way, and the Chapter 6 story quest is recommended level 48. Ha. I keep getting sucked in by side quests, but I do want to get back to the story too...

Soul hacker is a very interesting class indeed. I think it's absolutely busted with the right attacks and abilities when used by your party (it's a class I used a lot in end game), but I think the Soulhacker hero himself is actually the worst hero to use because his chain skill is a total gamble that's just not worth it when other heroes have better a better chain skill and can perform the role better.

Most of the game takes place outdoors and on land and I remember there being abilities for soulhacker to increase damage on land and I think one for outdoors too. I think one was by 50%, can't recall the other. I just remember having two abilities stacked on the Soulhacker like that and that class being a total monster while on land.

I actually think sticking with the original classes is a very viable strategy. They work well together and were the defaults for a reason. Just keep in mind that the letter next to the class (S, A, B, C, D) affects how quickly quickly they can grow for that class. So someone with a S next to tactician need less experience to get to max level than someone at D. It will also take more time to unlock said class if it's at a D vs an A. Personally, I just got everyone trained up on their S and A classes as it seems pretty clear that the game doesn't want you to use the same class for everyone. I'd be interested in knowing how easy the final boss is with the default classes. Even at the end game, I felt like Tactician and Zephyr were very strong classes (Personally, I think all healing classes and healing heroes are good). The other 4 default classes I felt were easily replaceable with a similar class that did the same role better.

I won't ruin anything for the heroes. Just be sure to do the missions after beating the game as there is a handful of post-game content regarding a couple of them. 

After you beat the game and unlock all the heroes, I'll let you know what I used to beat the super bosses and why. Again, I think using the defaults is just fine, but I do think what I'll tell you will help you pick items or give you an idea if you decide to give the post game bosses a try.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The entire Xenoblade Chronicles trilogy, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, Fire Emblem Engage, Shin Megami Tensei V (though this may eventually make its way over to PS), and Legend of Zelda BoTW/ToTK are some of the most fun I've had on the Switch. There's also plenty of mini reviews of several exclusives in this thread (Mario Odyssey, Mario Wonder, Kirby, etc.)  where people have raved about them.

I would also say Pokémon, but the recent games run like such dogshit that it's literally impossible for me to recommend anyone in good faith unless you are a huge Pokémon fan or want to get into competitive Pokémon (competitive online, imo is the best it has ever been). Sword and Shield had their flaws, but they at least didn't lag super hard or freeze when going into different areas or have windmills that laughably spin at 6 FPS. 

I played the first xenoblade back in the day but didnt get too far, and thats a shame because the game looks great at the switch.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Don_Chipotle said:

I played the first xenoblade back in the day but didnt get too far, and thats a shame because the game looks great at the switch.

I tried the first game via the 3DS port and couldn't get into it. Several years later I tried XC2 on Switch and it sucked me in. After playing that and the DLC, as I mentioned here I finally got back to XC1 via the Switch version. It took me a while of playing it with breaks for other games in between. I found XC2 and XC3 easier to get sucked into. XC1 really gets interesting after several hours of playing, so if you stick with it you may find yourself getting hooked.

All three games look pretty nice on Switch. Obviously they're not going to compete with first party PS5 games, but their art direction makes them look great all the same.

22 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I actually think sticking with the original classes is a very viable strategy. They work well together and were the defaults for a reason. Just keep in mind that the letter next to the class (S, A, B, C, D) affects how quickly quickly they can grow for that class. So someone with a S next to tactician need less experience to get to max level than someone at D. It will also take more time to unlock said class if it's at a D vs an A. Personally, I just got everyone trained up on their S and A classes as it seems pretty clear that the game doesn't want you to use the same class for everyone. I'd be interested in knowing how easy the final boss is with the default classes. Even at the end game, I felt like Tactician and Zephyr were very strong classes (Personally, I think all healing classes and healing heroes are good). The other 4 default classes I felt were easily replaceable with a similar class that did the same role better.

Yeah I did know that about unlocking classes for party members with D affinity, it definitely takes longer. Having one or two party members using that class, plus the original hero themselves, unlocks it fairly quickly.

• Like 2

Hope everyone's enjoying the new year so far.

I missed out on Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity so I recently got the chance to finally play it. It's fun and plays just like the original Hyrule Warriors, though now you have access to BotW's map, characters, and power-ups.

That said, it looks horrible with the constant pop-ins and low-poly textures being distracting. Handheld mode is unplayable with the resolution making things messy, so I've been sticking to playing it on TV. (This one game I hope would benefit from backwords compatibility if the next console supports it).

Also, I picked up Pokemon Violet on discount, so I'm also interested in checking it out after Hyrule Warriors.

• Like 3

I don't know if I mentioned this before because I was on holiday, but I bought Monster Hunter Stories 2 after I played a bit of the demo! The demo won me over. I also like the Monster Hunter IP. Now I just need to "hunt" down some plushies or try to crochet it myself. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 11:04 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I won't ruin anything for the heroes. Just be sure to do the missions after beating the game as there is a handful of post-game content regarding a couple of them. 

After you beat the game and unlock all the heroes, I'll let you know what I used to beat the super bosses and why. Again, I think using the defaults is just fine, but I do think what I'll tell you will help you pick items or give you an idea if you decide to give the post game bosses a try.

I finished the story. I kept everyone in their default roles but swapped the classes around because some of the starter classes were maxed out. I had this lineup:

Spoiler

Noah - Ogre

Mio - Noponic Champion

Eunie - Tactician

Taion - War Medic

Lanz - Zephyr

Sena - Swordfighter

Miyabi - Troubadour

Of course the bonus Hero gets kicked out for part of the finale (the part where your team is split in half), but she was useful when present due to the extra healing. I was level 77 on my clear-game save but I think that included some level-ups from the final battles. I managed to not wipe on any of the fights, although I got nervous a few times!

Now I'm doing post-game stuff, I don't know how far I'll go with side content, but I think I'll try a few of the super bosses at least. I'll definitely finish the side quests and hero quests.

• Like 2

I probably shouldn't post this/about this honestly.

Either way... until solid evidence and information is out there (whereas right now, as far as I know at least and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, there isn't and it's unknown what's legit and what isn't/misinformation) I'm not going to really say one way or another about this Palworld 'controversy'

On the one hand... it seems like plagiarism but you could say the same thing about Digimon or even Pokemon itself as it was inspired by the Dragon Quest monsters, while on the other hand, competition makes everyone better obviously.

So until there's solid information and evidence available... I won't say how I feel one way or the other. I kind of see both sides of the argument honestly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, Palworld is not plagiarism, the game is markedly different form Pokémon. It's just a game in the same subgenre of RPGs, a fairly large subgenre at that.

Games that used the same formula as Pokémon go all the way back to the first gen of that series, for starters:
Telemon (Korean games known from their western bootleg translations as Pokémon Diamond)

MagiNation

Animorphs

Monster Rancher

Digimon

And, without the RPG elements, we also have a little something known asTamagotchi.

Generally, it should be noted merely copying the basic premise is not plagiarism. The claims I've seen are ridiculous, this one is a good example:

GEKLmzwXgAAeRw8?format=png&name=360x360

Look, both have ears and spikes! Clearly direct copies!

If that counts as plagiarism, Falcor from Neverending Story should sue Gyarados.

Hmm, maybe I should just sue every game company for using my likeness in any characters that have two arms and two legs...

• Like 3

There's definitely some designs in Palworld that are almost laughably close to the designs of certain Pokémon, but nothing (or at least the majority of what I've seen, anyway) has struck me as outright "plagiarism". Plus, I feel that - if there is any plagiarism to be found - either Steam or Nintendo/The Pokémon Company themselves would've done something about it, and likely long before the game even came out. I don't think that TPC gives a shit either way. lol

I get that the game just came out, and that a lot of monsters and their designs likely weren't seen up until now for that very reason, but I still find it a bit weird (and funny) that people are only now making such a big fuss about it despite the game (and some of its more... obvious Pal designs) having been announced for years. Disgusts me that people are sending death threats to the developers (especially over something so trivial), but it also doesn't surprise me in the slightest coming from Pokémon fans. 😕

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2