Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Spoiler

Me rn. lol

Also, am I the only one that gets annoyed when people start spewing out BS like Zelda fans are "spoiled" or "impatient" just because they're asking for stuff like this? It's like these people just actively choose to ignore the fact that the last two Directs focused way too much on Mario games and spin-offs (even though I'm excited for most of 'em).

I also usually see a lot of people pull the "x series hasn't had a game in x amount of time, so you have no right to complain" card, which is absolutely fucking obnoxious. My brother in Christ, I forgot the part where that was my fucking problem? I didn't realize we were in a cock measurement competition where I can't ask for something because another series hasn't gotten something for a completely unrelated reason. lmao Usually they also just jump to the conclusion that you aren't also a fan of the thing they're complaining about not getting enough attention, which is even more baffling to me. You're allowed to want a series or game you like to get more love, but so am I able to do the same. It shouldn't make a difference if the series in question is big or not, you're just being a gatekeeping prick who's mad that your favorite series or game isn't getting the treatment you think it deserves and are choosing to take it out on others without even checking if they also like the thing you're white knighting. lol

Edited by Zephrese

I finished the first DLC for Pokémon yesterday:

The story is actually kind of cool. Weird trip for a school trip to be selected for and the premise of the study didn't make a whole lot of sense (but hey, it's Pokémon). However, I did like the new characters introduced and the lore of the Pokémon from that area. The new Pokémon are all cool and think they are all at least a little viable competitively. 

Though, the new Pokémon, Ogerpon really gets to shine in this DLC and it's pretty cool to see how much work GF put into this one Pokémon (you'll see what I mean later). Its masks are really cool and the gimmick of this Pokémon is so inventive and unusual which makes it a really fun Pokémon to try in your party.

There's also a funny side story with Glitterati and your character being a "commoner" and her paying you with expensive stuff and money for answering simple questions and battling. Definitely recommend doing it with an amulet coin and with the hisuian Zorark that knows Happy hour... you'll be very rich by the end of it.

There's also a new competitive format coming next month to try out the new mons... I  haven't played competitively since June/July, but I think I'll try getting back into it again with the new Pokémon. I already have a team in mind:

Flutter Mane

Thunderus (incarnate)

Ogerpon (Water mask)

Rillaboom 

Iron Hands

Talonflame/Chi-Yu/Arcanine

Hard to really say how I'm going to run this team, but I already like the idea of having thunderus spam thunder wave with hex Flutter Mane. I  also like the idea of double grassy glide with Ogerpon and Rillaboom. I just need some good Pokémon to glue it all together and I think Iron hands and Talonflame or Chi-yu may be the answer. 

I'm also intrigued with using a team with Politoed, Gothetelle, Urshifu, Ogerpon (teal mask or hearthflame), Scizor, and Kommo-o as a squad for some perish trap shinnanigans, but I think this would be harder to use and would definitely need to be tested with other Pokémon to find the ideal 6. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

I've been playing a bit of Pokemon Arceus. I haven't gone too far from the starting camp because I'm trying to completely fill out a couple Pokemon reports. I've also downloaded a few games to try out: Dragon Quest Monsters, Dave the Diver, Brave Dungeon, Oaken and Guardian Tales.

I'm playing DQM as we speak, and it really isn't sparking any type of joy for me. It feels mindlessly boring. Can't really say I care about the game. I think most of it has to do with the graphics. Not that it's ugly, but I remember Dragon Quest XI looking so nice, and that's what I'm comparing it to. This game would have to be seriously cheap for me to even consider playing it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Waiting for Super Mario RPG now. I've seen some concerned that some of the new features might make the game too simple. Hopefully there's an option to turn it off if need be.

I hope that's the case, especially for those that grew up on the game and for veteran RPG players. I for one can't wait to hear the soundtrack. My first connection to the game came from a streamer who was playing the soundtrack in the background. I thought it was from the Final Fantasy series at first. 

• Like 1

I 100% completed Piofiore: Fated Memories on Switch today so I started Detective Pikachu Returns

I liked the first Detective Pikachu game on 3DS and got the sequel as well. I find it funny how most reviews mention that it's great for kids only.. and here I am, a grown adult buying a physical copy at launch, gleefully receiving bonus goodies with it (a notebook and a metallic keychain).

ffe76e1710dc65337da4a74627df04d731115915.jpg ee12a3c76a4e603fa0baf36607a8a5a9f7e26f33.jpg

Piofiore was pretty good. The game's greatest assets are the breathtaking art style, nice cast of characters and the voice acting. Decent music and the UI is very nicely designed. Not that many typos or grammatical errors compared to some other visual novels I've played. 

Most of the routes weren't super interesting so 55 hours with the game didn't exactly fly by. Yang's route was the highlight - I now get the appeal and I'm ready to join the trashbando Yang gang. Such an interesting and fun character. Orlok's bad end was brutal. Poor guy (and poor Lili). 

801e96380c660251078ef0b1a678099bc75c71d5.jpg

It was a bit tiresome to have to use a guide to get to certain routes. Luckily a chapter select and dialogue skip is available. 

Big stinking minus for showing food like only twice despite talking about it throughout the game. I was also disappointed about the protagonist Lili not having voice acting and her sprite not being visible during her dialogue. Nicola's bad taste in fashion irks me - his tie looks like he barfed on it (see the second screenshot).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NullRay85 said:

Was in a retro mood lately so I've been playing the Sega Ages port of OutRun and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection.

It's funny you say that, I just put Street Fighter Alpha Anthology and Anniversary Collection on my PS2 last night, and I got my ass handed to me in those games. I was pretty good at Street Fighter when I was a kid, but I can't hang with that franchise anymore lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

It's funny you say that, I just put Street Fighter Alpha Anthology and Anniversary Collection on my PS2 last night, and I got my ass handed to me in those games. I was pretty good at Street Fighter when I was a kid, but I can't hang with that franchise anymore lol. 

Yeah, tell me about it lol. I first played Street Fighter II as a kid on my iPod and remember beating the game a few times with ease. These days, the only fighters I'm decent at are Smash Bros., Tekken, and SoulCalibur-- all of which are 3D fighters!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

So apparently Nintendo reapplied/reupped/whatever you want to call it the trademark for Kirby Triple Deluxe. I wonder if this means this will get a remake/remaster/whatever for Switch as well.

I mean... why not? lol

I'm inclined to believe that, with there being only a small handful of notable Wii U games left that haven't yet been ported to the Switch (TWW HD, TP HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X, etc.), and with the eShop for both the Wii U and 3DS having been closed (with any and all online functionality/features for more or less every game released on either platform getting shut down early next year, save for Pokémon Bank for now), that Nintendo is likely preparing to port more 3DS games to the Switch and its successor. We've already seen examples such as Miitopia in the past, but now - with the rerelease of Luigi's Mansion 2 on the horizon - I'm convinced that more 3DS games will be getting ported going forward (alongside further GameCube and Wii ports, as they've been putting out plenty of those - especially the former - lately).

A lot of people will likely complain about this if this does indeed happen, but considering the success of the Switch (and of the rereleases they've put on the console thus far) it makes a lot of sense that they'd go this route. Plus, the Switch brought in a ton of old and new players that missed out on x games and/or x consoles, so that - combined with the poor sales of some of the late 3DS games - gives Nintendo even more reason to port a bunch of shit they aren't currently making money off of to newer platforms. I'm all for it, especially considering how ridiculously expensive some of their older games have gotten in the used/secondhand market, not to mention it's more convenient for me personally. As long as they keep their lineup of brand new games about on par with the quantity and quality of what they've put on the Switch up until now, I'm not really going to complain either way. lmao

That all said, Nintendo renewing trademarks doesn't necessarily mean anything (usually it means dip), but my point still stands.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 2:41 PM, MidnightDragon said:

Waiting for Super Mario RPG now. I've seen some concerned that some of the new features might make the game too simple. Hopefully there's an option to turn it off if need be.

Another point on being simplified: I was just rewatching the trailer and I missed the part about the hard mode boss rematches. Mario RPG isn't a very difficult game and certain items can make you basically invincible outside of a few situations. I'm hoping the hard mode rematches aren't just 'they're a damage sponge now'. Decking your party out in trinkets that block non-elemental damage and insta-kill abilities nullifies the majority of encounters.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 2

Super Mario Bros. Wonder has a Metascore of 93 (78 critic reviews) at the moment. Some reviews mention the challenge is relatively low, so I was inspired to get it. My aging reflexes are only good for deciphering what day it is when waking up.. all this crazy platforming action is meant for the youngsters (thank god for assists in Mario games).

I haven't finished Detective Pikachu Returns yet (it's been fun) and I should probably start Signalis before it leaves PC Game Pass, but I'll be prancing to our local videogame store to pick up Mario Wonder on Friday.

• Like 3

Messed with a leaked copy of Super Mario Bros Wonder and while I only played the first level or two, it convinced me to pick it up this Friday.  Feels great, and not so derivative of New Super Mario Bros like I was kinda afraid it might be.  Took the day off for Spider-Man 2 already so I guess it'll be a long weekend packed with some interesting new games.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4