Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Do you guys think its still worthwhile to buy a Switch? I have enough games in my backlog to not buy a new console for a while, and i'd hate to buy a console when its replacement is announced right after. I do have some Switch games i want to play, since Wii U games aren't BC on Switch i'm conflicted.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Qjotr said:

Do you guys think its still worthwhile to buy a Switch? I have enough games in my backlog to not buy a new console for a while, and i'd hate to buy a console when its replacement is announced right after. I do have some Switch games i want to play, since Wii U games aren't BC on Switch i'm conflicted.

Personally I'd say that, at this point, it might be best to wait until after the next console is announced to see what - if any - backwards compatibility it's got going on. If it's more or less fully backwards compatible with the Switch, then I'd say just get that instead because it'll already have a potentially monstrous library for you right off the bat while you wait for newer games and re-releases to be launched solely for the new console to beef that library up further.

You could always get a Switch now and trade it in later to put that money towards the new console too, I guess, but I wouldn't know if that's a good and viable option or not.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

On 10/23/2023 at 12:28 PM, Zephrese said:

Personally I'd say that, at this point, it might be best to wait until after the next console is announced to see what - if any - backwards compatibility it's got going on. If it's more or less fully backwards compatible with the Switch, then I'd say just get that instead because it'll already have a potentially monstrous library for you right off the bat while you wait for newer games and re-releases to be launched solely for the new console to beef that library up further.

You could always get a Switch now and trade it in later to put that money towards the new console too, I guess, but I wouldn't know if that's a good and viable option or not.

23 hours ago, Viper said:

Yeah I'd wait at this point, we're on the cusp of the announcement and anyone wanting to opt into Nintendo now would benefit more from just going with the Switch 2.

For me, I only bought my Switch about a year and a half ago and it still feels new. And I bought it fully expecting the Switch 2 to be released this year or next...but I can say now that, while I likely won't wait as long to adopt a Switch 2, it also won't be right away because I feel like I need to put more time into my Switch first so as it doesn't feel like I wasted my money on it now. 

My biggest worries with the Switch 2 right now are all the games going $70 and barely ever falling in price, and Switch Online going $50 (or more) from the jump and still having a higher tier after that. 

Thanks to both of you! In the end it will be a secondary console for the exclusives, so if i have to wait a little while its alright. I had thought about getting one and trading it in for a new console when it launches, but it seems a bit wasteful to have a brand new console to to trade it in again. The stores i know that support this here have great offers, but mostly only the first month of a new console launch. That might be a bit to early to do away with a perfectly fine console. I might get one if a find a second hand one or one with a great deal during the holiday season. You'll find me here again once im back in Nintendo camp!

• Like 4

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to jump off of enemies properly in Mario Wonder at all (as in getting the necessary distance from jumping off of one, as Mario just seems to get a pathetic amount of air time out of it that isn't helping in the slightest) and it's making it nigh impossible for me to get gold flags on a select few levels. It's beyond frustrating. If anyone has any hints, or has an idea as to what I might be doing incorrectly and how to fix it, I'd really appreciate the advice!

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to jump off of enemies properly in Mario Wonder at all (as in getting the necessary distance from jumping off of one, as Mario just seems to get a pathetic amount of air time out of it that isn't helping in the slightest) and it's making it nigh impossible for me to get gold flags on a select few levels. It's beyond frustrating. If anyone has any hints, or has an idea as to what I might be doing incorrectly and how to fix it, I'd really appreciate the advice!

haven’t played mario wonder, but in other Mario side scrollers you get more air time if you hold the jump button down when bouncing off of enemies. Like press button to jump but keep it held down, then when you bounce off enemy you’ll go higher then if you just tapped jump 

• Like 2

Oh gosh this is so cute. I hope they make more of these animations.

I'm still playing Detective Pikachu Returns because I have a chronic case of falling asleep when trying to play in the evening.

My Switch backlog is growing because I'm too slow at finishing games and more titles keep coming out. Next there's the releases of Star Ocean: The Second Story R and Fashion Dreamer in the beginning of November. Super Mario RPG is coming soon too. And I'm running out of shelf space to have my games arranged neatly. Truly I live the hardest life.

• Like 4

Finally picked up Super Mario Bros. Wonder a couple of days ago. 

Beat the first world and so far it's been amazing. I was expecting more of the same New Super Mario Bros. formula but was surprised with how fresh the new level designs were.

The new elephant ability was cool too and having the levels shift once you get a Wonder seed was fun and pretty challenging. 

So far the first impressions were great and I can't wait to play more. 

• Like 3

I closed the case in Detective Pikachu Returns a week ago. I liked the game and it seemed to leave a possibility for a new sequel at the end. 
I don't understand why some reviews complain about "drab visuals". I thought the environments and character models looked very good and colors were vibrant. Though I played it in handheld mode only, so that may explain the difference in the experience. 
There's a decent amount of humor in the game - a lot of it seems aimed at children but I laughed at Pikachu's dialogue and antics many times. Possible Detective Pikachu 3 has a good chance to end up on my wishlist.

I pre-ordered Star Ocean: The Second Story R from our local retailer but the shipment for the Switch versions was late so I didn't get it on Friday. Should most likely arrive soon.

Fashion Dreamer doesn't seem to be the New Style Boutique / Style Savvy successor people were hoping for. I skipped the game for now as it apparently lacks story and many features people have come to expect from Syn Sophia's fashion games. The game looks good but if there's no story content or proper goals I doubt I'd find it enjoyable for more than a couple of hours. There's free updates coming in December and January though so all hope is not lost. A positive surprise is that the online features don't require Switch Online subscription.

At the moment I've returned to Octopath Traveler 2 and I finally found my way to the town of Stormhail where multiple characters have story chapters. I spent ages trying to find my way there. The map doesn't seem to have improved from the first game. It can't be zoomed in to and it's difficult to see the roads on the map in handheld mode.

I also started playing Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia on 3DS. Great game so far. The music is really good and I'm enjoying the gameplay, level design and art direction. It's a bit difficult and seems to require some grinding to either get level ups or glyphs (weapons/abilities acquired from monsters) to do decent damage. Just got double jump so I can finally get to previously inaccessible areas. 

Maybe I'll start Super Mario Bros. Wonder after I've finished Castlevania.

• Like 3

Seeing everyone enjoying Wonder makes me so jealous. I'm trying to finish Detective Pikachu before I buy another Switch game but I'm not rushing. Some things happened recently where I now have to worry about budgeting a whole lot more than I had to before, and it's hard to justify buying Nintendo games cause they just never go down in price. Maybe if a certain someone could actually foresee the consequences of his actions I wouldn't be left holding the bag...ahem. 

Anyways, glad to see people like it and I can't wait until I can finally get it myself. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Can't wait to play Super Mario RPG next Friday! :D  I'm considering getting DQM as well, but may just see if I get it for Christmas.

About that, some randomly assembled gameplay clips from some site that got a review copy:

Gonna be honest, watching this makes me somehow less interested. Like I could just go play the original or that Armageddon hack.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

About that, some randomly assembled gameplay clips from some site that got a review copy:

Gonna be honest, watching this makes me somehow less interested. Like I could just go play the original or that Armageddon hack.

I still think it looks good, but to each their own. Though Mack is now Claymorton…which is a really dumb name. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

As someone who never played the original, seeing it with a fresh coat of paint kind of makes me want to play it more!

Will probably get for either my birthday or Christmas. I don't think I'll pre-order this one like I have for other games being this close to the holidays. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I still think it looks good, but to each their own. Though Mack is now Claymorton…which is a really dumb name. 

I don't get it either, it looks great. Also, pretty sure Claymorton is a more accurate and direct translation of the Japanese name. There's other stuff like that in the remake too from what I've seen.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I don't get it either, it looks great. Also, pretty sure Claymorton is a more accurate and direct translation of the Japanese name. There's other stuff like that in the remake too from what I've seen.

Yea, I figured. They've done that in a lot of remakes of older games-update the translation so it's more accurate since the 90s translation wasn't always the best, though it does give it a certain charm. It's still a silly name. :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Oh it looks good, no argument. I just watched this and had a strange feeling of "I have a copy of the original, I could just re-play it for the 1000th time".

Aside, anyone who liked the original and followed the fandom knows that most of the hacks suck. One exception, don't pass on Armageddon if you haven't tried it yet:

It's otherwise the same game, but with a pile of new challenges and redone stats. It's pretty good. There was talks about perhaps making an updated version for the remake.

Edit: So apparently the localizers decided Frogfucius was offensive, so his name is now Frog Sage.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 2