Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

3 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Oh no! Spoilers for me re: Osvald. Well, it's my own fault; I should've finished his story by now. I only bought Monster Hunter Stories 2. Running low on funds 'cause I bought some big items this year and a lot more physical Nintendo games that I never intended to buy. hehe

Oh no, I didn't realize my comment about Osvald's story would be a spoiler. I'm sorry about that! I finished his chapters today. 

I've played the game for 120 hours and I've only finished two characters' stories. I'm playing without guides and prior knowledge about it, so a lot of time goes into exploring and bumping into things I didn't know existed in the game (and a lot of time goes into being lost because I can't decipher the map properly). One of my favorite things is trying to solve the side quests on my own and reading the occasional amusing NPC backstories.

f842345066acc2a18fb96e434986b99ef006ae1e

And my latest favorite: 

Ambitious Youth

Details: A young boy who loves to sing and is determined to do so professionally. Unfortunately, he is both absolutely dreadful at singing and blissfully unaware of that fact. The people in his village, too kind to burden his innocent optimism with the truth, can only listen and weep.

I'm hoping I won't get burned out before I complete the game. I went for 100% completion in the first Octopath Traveler and it probably ranks among the top 5 of my all-time favorite games - thanks to actually completing the game and seeing the main story to the end.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2023 at 6:57 AM, Zephrese said:

The introduction cutscene for Geno (where he comes to life) made me really emotional for some reason. lol This is such a great remake so far, love the amount of effort that went into it.

The cutscenes were nice, my one gripe was that it showed the same generic cutscene when getting the star, which is fine in hindsight and it's not that big of a deal.

Have you made it to the end yet?

• Like 2

Done with Detective Pikachu Returns and it was ok. Happy that it wrapped up the plot threads of the first game and it ended on a pretty satisfying note. 

The gameplay was simple as finding clues and forming deductions were easy. The new segments where you're playing as Pokemon to solve cases was fun. You get to use a Luxray to see through walls and use a Darmanitan to destroy blocked walls, and a growlithe to track scents. It sucks that it was very short (12hrs) and I did all side-cases, which I would've loved to have more of. 

The visuals were mediocre as aside from Tim's new look and Pokemon designs, things looked dated compared to other games on Switch -- even the Pokemon Spin-offs like Arceus and New Snap. That said, I did like the level design of the ice ruins and ryme city. The soundtrack was ok though nothing special.

All in all, a decent time if you're a fan of Detective Pikachu or just looking for a laid-back adventure.

Going to fire up Super Mario RPG Remake next.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2023 at 12:17 PM, Vulpine9Tails said:

The bf and I finally played some Mario Party Superstars after owning it for like a year and never touching it. It was so fun, but I don't think I've ever played such a rough couple rounds before in my life. I had so many stars stolen from me 😭.

Leaf Leap will always have a special place in my heart. 

It's a really fun game, that's for sure.

I really want them to just go back to numbering and make Mario Party 11 like Superstars but with new boards and new minigames.

• Like 2

Playing Super Mario RPG and reached the part where Geno joins the party (also got the second star). Really enjoying my time so far and it's amazing how it later inspired the Mario & Luigi series with the timed-based attacks and humor.

Been thinking of getting a White Switch OLED model because of the bigger screen, but still not sure. If the next Nintendo console has BC then there won't be any need. Still, Nintendo has always been unpredictable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Harvest Moon 64 is on Switch Online! I need to get it yesterday!

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-switch-online-getting-harvest-moon-64-and-more-today

Here's the trio of games! My brother and I played the hell out of 1080 Snowboarding back in 1998! I owned Harvest Moon 64 as well!

• Like 4

Is Animal Crossing New Horizons worth playing still today?

I got it as kind of a impulse pandemic purchase back in 2020, never really got into it for one reason or another, and eventually sold it.  Kinda thinking about it again.

It's my understanding that a big appeal of the game is booting it up every day and seeing what the NPC's are up to, enjoying unique events that happen throughout the year and on holidays.  I dunno if the game is getting updated anymore, but lets say it isn't or I'll be playing it without an internet connection... does the game still stay interesting and/or acknowledge holidays like Halloween and Christmas like that?  I get that it wouldn't be new content, but stuff already built into the game, if that makes sense?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Is Animal Crossing New Horizons worth playing still today?

I got it as kind of a impulse pandemic purchase back in 2020, never really got into it for one reason or another, and eventually sold it.  Kinda thinking about it again.

It's my understanding that a big appeal of the game is booting it up every day and seeing what the NPC's are up to, enjoying unique events that happen throughout the year and on holidays.  I dunno if the game is getting updated anymore, but lets say it isn't or I'll be playing it without an internet connection... does the game still stay interesting and/or acknowledge holidays like Halloween and Christmas like that?  I get that it wouldn't be new content, but stuff already built into the game, if that makes sense?

Animal Crossing: New Leaf on 3DS didn't require internet connection to get the seasonal events to trigger. It used the system calendar and clock to change seasons and time of day. I would assume New Horizons works this way too. 

I haven't played New Horizons in years myself. I've been planning to get the Happy Home Paradise expansion at some point. There's a lot of new content added in the game after I stopped playing and I hear there's even farming and cooking systems these days. I grew tired of the live service events that were designed to waste your time and make you grind, so my interest towards the game waned.

The appeal of Animal Crossing for me was definitely the fact that after years of playing I still encountered new things. Things like villagers coming for a surprise visit and reacting to your house having cockroaches. Or the hidden game mechanics affecting your day in the game - when you had bad luck you tripped on your feet, bees caught you easier and when you sat on a chair it made a creaking noise. My mind was blown when I noticed I was able to turn on the light on my desk furniture in New Horizons. There's also a very unique and intimate atmosphere in being inside your house and the weather outside reflecting to the interior (lighting, sound of rain/thunder, etc.). The high attention to detail creates a very immersive experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf on 3DS didn't require internet connection to get the seasonal events to trigger. It used the system calendar and clock to change seasons and time of day. I would assume New Horizons works this way too. 

I haven't played New Horizons in years myself. I've been planning to get the Happy Home Paradise expansion at some point. There's a lot of new content added in the game after I stopped playing and I hear there's even farming and cooking systems these days. I grew tired of the live service events that were designed to waste your time and make you grind, so my interest towards the game waned.

The appeal of Animal Crossing for me was definitely the fact that after years of playing I still encountered new things. Things like villagers coming for a surprise visit and reacting to your house having cockroaches. Or the hidden game mechanics affecting your day in the game - when you had bad luck you tripped on your feet, bees caught you easier and when you sat on a chair it made a creaking noise. My mind was blown when I noticed I was able to turn on the light on my desk furniture in New Horizons. There's also a very unique and intimate atmosphere in being inside your house and the weather outside reflecting to the interior (lighting, sound of rain/thunder, etc.). The high attention to detail creates a very immersive experience.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for regarding the system clock to influence the game.  I love the idea of a chill game where every time I boot up I'm likely to see or find something new, even if I don't really have the time and patience for it usually... but I was afraid I might've missed the boat with Animal Crossing.  While I'm sure the genuinely new content either has or will likely slow down, knowing the unique events are there and there's so much to experience with the game even offline, makes the decision easier.

2024 is looking like a slow year potentially for new games so it might be a good time to work something like Animal Crossing into a routine, along with backlog clearing lol.

• Like 1

Beat Super Mario RPG a few days ago and it was seriously a blast. I loved the characters and dialogue, the gameplay was fun with its timing-based attacks, and the new presentation looked solid.

I can see why it's always been held in high regards now and I'm looking forward to replaying it again in the future.

Also picked up Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity after putting it off for almost three years now (hope the tech isses aren't as bad as they say).

Will be taking a small break from the Switch so I can catch up with my backlog. 

• Like 3

My boss gave me an Amazon gift card for Christmas and decided to buy Baten Kaitos with it.

Only did the beginning with the forest, but I can already tell I'm going to like this one. The RPG system is just really interesting and different. 

It feels like I'm playing poker with the enemies while at the same time playing a classic final fantasy... it's weird and it's kinda awesome. Looking forward to see what all you can do with combo cards and such.

I've also been venturing back into Pokémon SV to get hyped for the next DLC. I made a really cool weezing doubles team, but there's just something off about the typing match ups that I need to fix as ground Pokémon are tough and a mix of ground, Flying, and Fairy Pokémon is just difficult for my team. Landorus in particular is just super difficult to deal with and is on a ton of ranked teams. 

I'm hoping the new Pokémon coming will help round out my team. I feel like I have a good core of 4 Pokémon (Ogerpon wellspring, Chi-Yu, Flutter Mane, and weezing), but just need more ice coverage and speed control with a strong attacker. Currently rounding the team out with iron hands and Iron jugulus, but I'm hoping that the DLC can help me fill in those two roles with better pokemon.

• Like 3

My Switch year in review: 

Total Games Played: 12

Total Hours: 270

First Game Played: Live A Live 

Most Played Game (and my Game of the Year): The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (95 hours)

Haven't played much on Switch and PS5 this year since I've been cycling through my other consoles to finish up my backlogs. Hope I can play more next year. 

• Like 4