Kill Your Completion v3. 0

27 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I recommend you don't play Resident Evil as your first horror game but something you'll actually enjoy.

Billy, we can't all go around changing our list at the last possible moment :P.

I have played Zombi before and that wasn't too bad (does that count as horror?)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FFHannibal said:

Billy, we can't all go around changing our list at the last possible moment :P.

I have played Zombi before and that wasn't too bad (does that count as horror?)

Yeah that counts as another bad game xD

Honestly, best horror game I can think of is Alien Isolation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

My Vita USB cable seems to have died again.. Waiting for my 2 pack of replacements to show up. If this brand isn't any better, I might just pay through the nose for a Sony one. These offbrand cables just don't seem to last. 

Do you live close to a Dollar Tree? I bought my USB cable there and it's worked pretty well for my handheld devices, including the Vita.

3 hours ago, FFHannibal said:

Any recommendations for someone who doesn't like Horror and whose next game is Resident Evil? I was thinking about immediately following the guide, because if I want to get the plat someday I'd have to do more than 5 playthroughs I think. So I though I'd maybe get on that right away, or should I just boot it up and start playing without care?

If you're a newbie to the game then I'd recommend your first playthrough to be as Jill. She gets a lockpick that removes the need for keys that Chris would need and she could get a shotgun pretty early on so that should help out against tougher enemies. I'd also recommend to avoid killing as many zombies as possible as if you don't burn their bodies afterwards you're going to have a bad time later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FFHannibal said:

Any recommendations for someone who doesn't like Horror and whose next game is Resident Evil? I was thinking about immediately following the guide, because if I want to get the plat someday I'd have to do more than 5 playthroughs I think. So I though I'd maybe get on that right away, or should I just boot it up and start playing without care?

Normally I like to do my first playthrough blind, especially in horror games. Knowing what happens next kind of ruins the suspense and can make it kind of boring. However, I might advise making an exception with this game. The puzzles can be convoluted and the game doesn't give you much sense of direction or what you need to be doing next and in what order. With only 3 days to play the game for the event, if you don't use a guide you might end up spending a lot of that time just trying to figure out what the hell you are supposed to be doing.

So your first 2 horror games are Zombi and Resident Evil? There are much better games if you are interested in the genre (Dead Space, The Evil Within, Alien Isolation come to mind). I loved Resident Evil back in the day but not sure how well the controls and mechanics hold up today. As for Zombi, yeah I found that game to be rather boring after a while. Good luck with it though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MStalker58 said:

I loved Resident Evil back in the day but not sure how well the controls and mechanics hold up today. 

I can answer that one: not at all.

1 hour ago, DamagingRob said:

Yes. But what if it means I, too, deep down like Zelda? My whole life will have been a lie!

@Mendant909 I have the 1000 model, with its proprietary cable nonsense..

Or worse, what if you actually like Star Wars? Only one way to find out: go play Zelda and go watch Star Wars!

Waiting in line for food at Six Flags so I'm catching up on the forums. I'll be home tonight but not sure how tired I'll be. Definitely going to try to get a start on something at least. 

All this hate about Resident Evil. :o I played it when it first dropped for the ps1 and loved it. Played the heck out of the original trilogy. They were just so different than anything else that it was easy to overlook the tank controls and other problems. I also feel like they've made a lot of updates to the game which hasn't done it any favors. 

Maybe I just never noticed but in the original I never had problems with the red head enemies I hear people bitch about. Maybe I just always killed everything so never noticed what happened if you didn't. 

I also feel like the trophy list does the game no favors. I'm usually all for challenge runs, but having several different ones that don't stack seems like a bad move for a 10+ year old game. 

Like I said I haven't played the remastered versions so can't comment on that, but I hope you enjoy it nevertheless @FFHannibal

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

All this hate about Resident Evil. :o I played it when it first dropped for the ps1 and loved it. Played the heck out of the original trilogy. They were just so different than anything else that it was easy to overlook the tank controls and other problems. I also feel like they've made a lot of updates to the game which hasn't done it any favors. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved the original RE games on PS1 and played the hell out of them. At the time of release, they were among my favorite games. The first time I saw those damn dogs nearly gave me a heart attack. However, for someone without the nostalgia factor and playing RE (or any horror game) for the first time, the controls and combat might feel very dated compared to modern games. 

29 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I can answer that one: not at all.

Hey, I've played the remaster. It was one of those games that I had to put on hold due to a previous KYC event starting up. Need to go back and finish it but stopping in the middle of a playthrough (not to mention the several runs I have left) has me putting it off. Now that I think about it, I have Resident Evil, Resident Evl 0, and Resident Evil Revelations in my backlog. Think someone went a little crazy during one of those PSN Halloween sales. :facepalm:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FFHannibal said:

Dont like horror how? Dont like to be scared or horror games are hard as hell?

Either way, try Until Dawn. It's modeled after a 90s slasher film so it's a bit cheesy but so good. I loved it!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jaguargenie said:

Don't like horror how? Don't like to be scared or horror games are hard as hell?

Sorry, had to correct your punctuation. How many people never put apostrophes in their words? xD

Also, for me, I don't like to be scared. I know you were talking to someone else but I really don't like the horror genre and will never play it. I went through one haunted house as a child and never went back. But then, to each his own. To FFHannibal, there are a lot of great horror games out there so you shouldn't be forced to play a game you don't like. If you really want to try to get into Resident Evil without the complex mechanics of the original trilogy, try Resident Evil 7 which came out - my gym trainer played it and loved it, but be warned that playing it on VR is very scary.

29 minutes ago, Jaguargenie said:

Dont like horror how? Dont like to be scared or horror games are hard as hell?

Either way, try Until Dawn. It's modeled after a 90s slasher film so it's a bit cheesy but so good. I loved it!

I don't like to be scared, the adrenaline doesn't really do anything but make me feel bad. I have seen a bit of Until Dawn and the 90s slasher feel really makes up for the scary bits. The one part I saw I was laughing more than I was actually scared. It helps that slasher films are kinda predictable, which jumpscares just for the fun of it are really not. That said I did play about 20 minutes of Resident Evil today and it's not too bad so far, I'm just constantly on edge and gaming is usually when I relax, so that's why I probably won't be hitting the 3 hour mark for it in the next two days. In increments of 20-25 minutes it's doable and fun for me.

8 minutes ago, NebbyLunala said:

Also, for me, I don't like to be scared. I know you were talking to someone else but I really don't like the horror genre and will never play it. I went through one haunted house as a child and never went back. But then, to each his own. To FFHannibal, there are a lot of great horror games out there so you shouldn't be forced to play a game you don't like. If you really want to try to get into Resident Evil without the complex mechanics of the original trilogy, try Resident Evil 7 which came out - my gym trainer played it and loved it, but be warned that playing it on VR is very scary.

I saw someone play it in VR and nope, not for me that game (not even regular). I can handle the Resident Evil remaster because the graphics are (so) outdated they can't be mistaken for realistic, but RE7 absolutely is. I'll play it in VR when I want to die of a heart attack :P

7 hours ago, FFHannibal said:

I'd recommend trying at least starting it and seeing what you think. I'm playing it too so we can share.

@BillyHorrible despises the Resident Evil remake (see KYC 2)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Agreed. I can't stand the "collect all chests" trophies. Lost Odyssey, a 360 RPG, had this achievement and it's the only one I didn't get. Some of the chests were very well hidden and additionally some areas would be blocked off from returning so that if you missed one you could never get the trophy without a full replay.

It's actually not that bad. At least you can see all the chest on the map. I hat it when there's no option to show the collectibles in games. I'm speaking of Unity by the way.

2 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

Heheh, just barely hanging onto that 87% average. 

Perhaps this is part of the reason I'm failing the event. I'm already at 51%, for me getting a bunch of 60%-70% games is an improvement while for you it would still be killing.

Have fun with Psychonauts. I thought it was dated but enjoyable, only haven't finished it yet because I decided I wanted to get through Witcher III.

P.S. number of brains is layer of immersion in the other person's brain, run out and you get pulled out of the brain/level.

• Like 2