Rarity Leaderboard

3 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Really heartbreaking. Funnily enough, nobody seems to complain that the leaderboard is a life-time achivement, and no player who starts now ever has a chance to climb the ranks without those games, and even if those "easy games" would not exist, they still would never be ablt to get into the top 100. But that seems to be okay - cementing the top positions for themselves just becaue they started 12 yeras ealier. But low and behold, if someone new dares to close in with Ratalaika games, then something must be done. Press the thumb onto the scales to lift the other side higher.

Well yeah it definitly is :) but in case of "Life-Time" - maybe a function, which people got the rarest/most/... trophys in a year, would be nice as well.

And believe me - I couldn't care less, if there is 1 or 2 more people over me in the leaderboards, since you can always see, what they played and how they got that high.

Well .. now PS5 comes out and I already saw the first Ratalaika and already some stacks with double plat.

The future of a trophy hunter, who try to climb up will be no-lifing this easy stuff for days - weeks - months - years .. in some years, there will be more games, which takes 1-2 hours then normal games.

Are you really proud of your ranking, if it's full with 99% easy stuff? :D

In my opinion this is just ridiculous.

But well, back to the topic "Rarity Leaderboard":

I think, great trophy hunters, who play a lot of hard and challenging games and don't have a high trophy level (as example: Floriis, Danny_Johansen, Yuichiro_Akuhei, DarkSamuraii-, ...) or such, which combine the list with hard, long, easy, tricky games (as example: DW-Ultrafan, Tigra, blackangel887462, Bizzy_Montana_, ...) deserves a much higher rank than those, who are flooding profiles with easy stuff.

Effort should pay out - Quality is far more then Quantity :P 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The current #100 has over 17.000 trophies that are 50% or lower. Number #99 has over 15.000. # 98 has around 20.000.

The flaw of the leaderboard is not the rarity of different trophies. I's that some people started running 12 years ago, and no one will bridge that gap if you remove the only thing that will give the latecomers some leverage. Instead of pursuing a bias against - official - trophies, fix the leaderboard in a way that give people a real competition. Make it a yearly leaderboard, from Jan.1st to Dec. 31st - then I'd see some reason to weigh rarity, as some trophies just take so much ölonger to acquire. Biut as long as a leaderboard spans the whole time since 2008, all the suggestions is downputting certain games for no other reasons that "I don't like them".

You do realize that those same top 100 players stay top 100 because they are just stacking the same fast and easy games that "lateccomers" do to climb up the leaderboards faster?

If you allow the easy plats in the leaderboard, then the higher accounts also benefit from it, and you never catch up anyway..

There's no mechanism that give new players a way to catch up, if everyone is playing the same bs... By playing those fast games you just see your rank go up fast because you are getting past the "dead and alt" accounts in the system faster, but you will never hit the top 100 regardless.

Even in an yearly leaderboard, those top 100 players would still be top 100.. sure you would move up faster past dead accounts, alts and people that now has less time to play, but you would never really get into the extreme top of the leaderboard.. This is essentially just changing the rules so that you would be higher then you are supposed to be (this is part of the reason why Sony revamped the trophy levels, so that newer players wouldn't feel so bad because they to are on a high number level...).

You really are underestimating why those guys stay so high on the leaderboard for all this years.

I personally am in the group that every trophy counts (1 point for anything above 75-80%, would be ok by me), and anything under 0.5 or 1% definitely deserves more than something around 5%. For example, I'm completely ok with someone getting 5k trophies just to get the same amount of points that I get from Speed Freak on Hustle Kings (hell, I really want that trophy OUT of my cabinet, it wasn't even remotely THAT hard...)

PS: If you can change the math, so that I become #1 on the Portuguese rarity Leaderboard, then that's the equation that you should use... (actually don't bother, since there's at least 1 person with nearly double my UR trophies..)

• Like 1

Here's a novel idea.

Let's just have whatever sort of leaderboards there's interest in and let people decide how much to care about them.  I'd like to see a rarity leaderboard and I'm not all that concerned about yearly leaderboards, however they're weighted.  But, if other people are interested in that, then why not?  And if there's a thread about it, I'll definitely not drop in to derail the idea just because it's not a priority for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

You do realize that those same top 100 players stay top 100 because they are just stacking the same fast and easy games that "lateccomers" do to climb up the leaderboards faster?

Then tell me - what's the big deal with counting every trophy in the leaderboard? Why do certain trophies have to be excluded? It is because the gap gets smaller with those sort of games, that's why.

14 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Even in an yearly leaderboard, those top 100 players would still be top 100.. sure you would move up faster past dead accounts, alts and people that now has less time to play, but you would never really get into the extreme top of the leaderboard..

Maybe... or maybe not. Sure, you won't get past team accounts, and you won't get past people with money who sit on their consoles all day because they can afford to do so while others don't have the time due to their job. But I said a yearly leaderboard would be one where I can see reason in weighing trophies differently, because everybody starts on January 1st with zero points and see who can get the highest in one year. Okay, you won't make it to the top, but some people would - I assume - be happy to make it to the top 300 once. But in a life-time leaderboard, sorry - no matter what one calls it, the suggested change is biased towards those who had the 12-year-headstart.

25 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

You really are underestimating why those guys stay so high on the leaderboard for all this years.

Maybe, because I don't really care what people do to earn trophies. What I do care about, though, is when people get judgemental about games that have legitimate trophies and think they are "better" than others. And if they want to make their snobbishness an official PSNP policy, I'll at least say what I think about it - even if that is an unpopular opinion.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Then tell me - what's the big deal with counting every trophy in the leaderboard? Why do certain trophies have to be excluded? It is because the gap gets smaller with those sort of games, that's why.

As I posted before, for me, even on the rarity leaderboard every trophy should count, but weighted accordingly.

Maybe... or maybe not. Sure, you won't get past team accounts, and you won't get past people with money who sit on their consoles all day because they can afford to do so while others don't have the time due to their job. But I said a yearly leaderboard would be one where I can see reason in weighing trophies differently, because everybody starts on January 1st with zero points and see who can get the highest in one year. Okay, you won't make it to the top, but some people would - I assume - be happy to make it to the top 300 once. But in a life-time leaderboard, sorry - no matter what one calls it, the suggested change is biased towards those who had the 12-year-headstart.

That's the same as asking for system specific leaderboard, or a completionist leaderboard and so on... While they are interesting to have around, I think that none of those should ever replace the main timeless leaderboard, same goes for the rarity leaderboard that's been discussed here.

Said that, ya, the idea of an extra leaderboard that would reset at the start of the year would be interesting to see.

For me always the more statistics and leaderboards (within reason, friends only leaderboards or "game series" leaderboards are a bit silly at my eyes) the better.

Maybe, because I don't really care what people do to earn trophies. What I do care about, though, is when people get judgemental about games that have legitimate trophies and think they are "better" than others. And if they want to make their snobbishness an official PSNP policy, I'll at least say what I think about it - even if that is an unpopular opinion.

When you don't care what people do to earn trophies, then you aren't a gamer anymore, you are just either addicted to the system and that's sad (and usually not much later you hear that said person just got burn out from trophy hunting, simply because they forgot the joy of gaming).

I usually don't have a problem with people playing some of those games, unless their profile is just that, and nothing of substance at all. Since those don't care about game quality and are actually only rewarding bad developers that release shovelware that only sells because it has an easy platinum (that then, extends to the trophy world).

If you are wondering, yes, I played some of those games too, well, not exactly ratalaika, but Artifex Mundi, Tell Tales, and point and click games and Visual Novels (I like those styles). But I'm not in the numbers race, since I don't really care about the main leaderboard (my country position barely moves, and I stopped keep track of my world rank long ago).

I would be slightly interested in any other leaderboard that would be created, specially if it's something that goes more aligned with my playstyle, since I focus is mainly on my average rarity (under 36% would be nice) and total completion (over 90% is a target), while playing everything that I feel like (JRPGs, Fighters, Racers, action adventure, point and click, interactive drama)..

On a final note: I just checked your profile, and I'm slightly puzzled.. I usually see this kind of argument that you are doing from people that essentially just stack that kind of games trying to justify themselves, so I was expecting a lot of stacks with an over 60% average rarity (that's the typical profile that I have some grip with), but I was surprized that it looks like that your profile isn't anything like those, actually I believe that a few would probably qualify in the "why did you spent so much time to plat it, when you could get 100 other plats in the same amount of time" (I actually did got comments like those for my SO4 plat, even back then..)

• Like 2

I personally think the point of this leaderboard is to provide an easy to find, public alternative for those interested. It wouldn’t be there to replace the current leaderboard so I don’t understand some of the people getting up in arms. I think it’d be a cool addition and one that a lot of mid-range trophy hunters would enjoy tracking. Not everybody only cares about the top 100, 1000, etc spots. 

I understand arguing over the algorithm since I know everyone will have some different thoughts about that and it’s no easy task, but I don’t understand the blind hatred towards the idea of an alternative.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

On a final note: I just checked your profile, and I'm slightly puzzled.. I usually see this kind of argument that you are doing from people that essentially just stack that kind of games trying to justify themselves, so I was expecting a lot of stacks with an over 60% average rarity (that's the typical profile that I have some grip with), but I was surprized that it looks like that your profile isn't anything like those, actually I believe that a few would probably qualify in the "why did you spent so much time to plat it, when you could get 100 other plats in the same amount of time" (I actually did got comments like those for my SO4 plat, even back then..)

I play games to have fun. Trophies are a secondary thing. If a game sucks, I stop playing it, if I like it, I plat it, because if I keep playing, I might as well. I dare say, with that I am in the minority on this board.

Like I said, it's the attitude of some people that makes me post in threads like this, because it is not about the pretense reason given. Isn't that what a message board is for? Talking about the subject matter, even if it doesn't affect you personally?

7 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

When you don't care what people do to earn trophies, then you aren't a gamer anymore, you are just either addicted to the system and that's sad (and usually not much later you hear that said person just got burn out from trophy hunting, simply because they forgot the joy of gaming).

I think you misunderstood me there, or I wasn't precise enough. I don't care what people do to hunt trophies because in my opinion trophy hunting is different from gaming. Gamers primarily play games for the sake of playing the game, trophy hunters play games to collect trophies. A totally different motivation that leads to playing games differently.

That's totally okay if that's their thing -  if people play games with a guide from the start and don't care about story spoilers only to save time, boost trophies, use turbo controllers, are a team account or using multiple consoles at the same time, stack easy games or whatever methods they use to gain trophies (as long as they don't cheat), I am not bothered. I do my own thing and let them do theirs, that's what I meant with "I don't care". I don't care about the leaderboard, rarity, first achiever, completion rate, fastest achiever and all the other nonsense. Again: It's only about the looking down on certain games that rubs me the wrong way. Like that ribbon suggestion.

2 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I play games to have fun. Trophies are a secondary thing. If a game sucks, I stop playing it, if I like it, I plat it, because if I keep playing, I might as well. I dare say, with that I am in the minority on this board.

Like I said, it's the attitude of some people that makes me post in threads like this, because it is not about the pretense reason given. Isn't that what a message board is for? Talking about the subject matter, even if it doesn't affect you personally?

I think you misunderstood me there, or I wasn't precise enough. I don't care what people do to hunt trophies because in my opinion trophy hunting is different from gaming. Gamers primarily play games for the sake of playing the game, trophy hunters play games to collect trophies. A totally different motivation that leads to playing games differently.

That's totally okay if that's their thing -  if people play games with a guide from the start and don't care about story spoilers only to save time, boost trophies, use turbo controllers, are a team account or using multiple consoles at the same time, stack easy games or whatever methods they use to gain trophies (as long as they don't cheat), I am not bothered. I do my own thing and let them do theirs, that's what I meant with "I don't care". I don't care about the leaderboard, rarity, first achiever, completion rate, fastest achiever and all the other nonsense. Again: It's only about the looking down on certain games that rubs me the wrong way. Like that ribbon suggestion.

Ok, I see. I'm just not used to see people engaging in a discussion online when it doesn't affect them.. 

Point taked on the "Gaming vs Trophy Hunting". We just see it from a different perspective, for me trophy hunting is an extension of my playstyle, but you are right, there's definitely people that see it the other way around. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, I see. I'm just not used to see people engaging in a discussion online when it doesn't affect them.. 

What people don’t realize when they say things like this, is these things DO affect all members here. How these things get implemented affect all of the user base. By being a member here, you’re associating yourself with all parts of this site.

I also don’t have any of those stacks and am really against proposing changes to the main leaderboard in hopes of changing people into playing only under approved trophy hunting styles.

I’m curious how a rarity board plays out from a data model standpoint, not from a “bad developers/publishers should be punished” standpoint because I also think that’s absurd. Games are games, trophies are trophies, trying to apply a subjective “quality” value to them is snobbery. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MMDE said:

I attempted another algorithm...

since you seem to be making a serious attempt at this, here's a question...have you tried making a graph that is not entirely constant?...the real difficulty I predict is trying to tweak everything below 5% and then again sub 1%...so how about breaking up the graph in ranges, some parts linear, some parts a curve?...example with completely fictional values and cutoffs:

50-100%...linear, 1 - 50 pts...

25-49% linear...51 - 250 pts...

10-24% linear...251 - 1000 pts...

5-9%...slight curve...1000 - 2000 pts...

1-4%...exaggerated curve favouring lower end...2000 - 5000 pts...

>1% - linear...5000 - 10 000 pts...

apologies if this has been tried and discussed...

15 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

And I will keep saying what I think about companies essentially selling trophies, so people can pretty much buy their way up the leaderboards. 

Our hobby is called trophy HUNTING. Hunting means to put in effort and work to earn yourself the reward/trophy. 

Playing Ratalaika crap has nothing to do with this. And in my opinion it's just sad that those companies abuse the psnp Leaderboard to make their money. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

since you seem to be making a serious attempt at this, here's a question...have you tried making a graph that is not entirely constant?...the real difficulty I predict is trying to tweak everything below 5% and then again sub 1%...so how about breaking up the graph in ranges, some parts linear, some parts a curve?...example with completely fictional values and cutoffs:

50-100%...linear, 1 - 50 pts...

25-49% linear...51 - 250 pts...

10-24% linear...251 - 1000 pts...

5-9%...slight curve...1000 - 2000 pts...

1-4%...exaggerated curve favouring lower end...2000 - 5000 pts...

>1% - linear...5000 - 10 000 pts...

apologies if this has been tried and discussed...

Yes, that is kind of what I did with the latest one. 4000 spread, not linearly, but exponentially over 0-10% or something, and 1000 over 0-50%.

Depending on what Sly really wants, you can easily do what you suggest here with some simple branching and functions. I'm just thinking a single math function is universally going to work, even in SQL queries without a lot of cases etc. 

Edited by MMDE

17 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The current #100 has over 17.000 trophies that are 50% or lower. Number #99 has over 15.000. # 98 has around 20.000.

The flaw of the leaderboard is not the rarity of different trophies. I's that some people started running 12 years ago, and no one will bridge that gap if you remove the only thing that will give the latecomers some leverage. Instead of pursuing a bias against - official - trophies, fix the leaderboard in a way that give people a real competition. Make it a yearly leaderboard, from Jan.1st to Dec. 31st - then I'd see some reason to weigh rarity, as some trophies just take so much ölonger to acquire. Biut as long as a leaderboard spans the whole time since 2008, all the suggestions is downputting certain games for no other reasons that "I don't like them".

There's never gonna be some reset to allow new players to catch up, but this rewards those going for quality rather than quantity. Like 7-8 of the top 10 in the world will greatly drop, because they've focused on easy and quick games. We're not putting down games due to "I don't like 'em", we're not even "putting down games". We're creating a system that rewards getting rare trophies.

Anyone who comes in later would have had the advantage of more games not done available to them, so a reset would actually be unfair to everyone who has been doing this for 12 years.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I'm not sure why a rarity leaderboard would be used as a catchup device. The point is to emphasize a bigger focus on the rarity of the trophies.

As you pointed out, it doesn't really matter what formula is used, the people at the top will stay at the top because they have dedicated over a decade to reach that level. That shouldn't be taken away from anyone, a rarity leaderboard is just supposed to promote players actually playing real games instead of 5 min plats. It's just another way to analyze and rank trophy collections.

That said, I think a yearly leaderboard is a good idea, but it's a completely separate leaderboard IMO.

• Like 4

Could a potential solution be custom leaderboards, separate from the main board already in place?

Track the current data and maintain what's already here, then just organize the new leaderboard, by what the math gurus come up with. If there's an increased cost to process 2 data sets, maybe determine if a premium membership cost/increase can help break even. I don't see why this has to be an all or nothing scenario, at the end of the day it's just data points being manipulated.

54 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

As you pointed out, it doesn't really matter what formula is used, the people at the top will stay at the top because they have dedicated over a decade to reach that level. That shouldn't be taken away from anyone, a rarity leaderboard is just supposed to promote players actually playing real games instead of 5 min plats. It's just another way to analyze and rank trophy collections.

There are people who would like a rarity leaderboard to replace the current leaderboard. It's more or less coming coming from: The leaderboard is "broken" due to easy trophies, we need "something else". And given the general mindset, it would not surprise me if people simply would use a rarity leaderboard as the "real" leaderboard. Just like many see an "H" on the profile and assume "cheater".

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

We're not putting down games due to "I don't like 'em", we're not even "putting down games". We're creating a system that rewards getting rare trophies.

After reading a million threads about "SONY does it wrong for allowing easy trophies to mess up the leaderboard" - when PSN doesn't even have a leaderboard -, Platinums called "devalued" - whatever that means - and the ever-returning "their profile is shit because they stack Ratalaika games", I find that hard to believe. Maybe it's true for you, but in the end, it's catering into the game hate.

I just don't like the trend I see there.

10 hours ago, DaivRules said:

What people don’t realize when they say things like this, is these things DO affect all members here. How these things get implemented affect all of the user base. By being a member here, you’re associating yourself with all parts of this site.

True, I sometimes forget how varied actually is the PSNProfiles community...

11 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I also don’t have any of those stacks and am really against proposing changes to the main leaderboard in hopes of changing people into playing only under approved trophy hunting styles.

6 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

There are people who would like a rarity leaderboard to replace the current leaderboard. 

What? I missed that somewhere..

I'm totally for a rarity leaderboard, like the individual system leaderboards that we have, but it should never replace the current one!

Really didn't knew that there existed people thinking in replacing the main leaderboard with the rarity one..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

True, I sometimes forget how varied actually is the PSNProfiles community...

What? I missed that somewhere..

I'm totally for a rarity leaderboard, like the individual system leaderboards that we have, but it should never replace the current one!

Really didn't knew that there existed people thinking in replacing the main leaderboard with the rarity one..

Yeah I’m not sure who’s saying we should replace the main leaderboard. This would be a easily visible alternative for those that would prefer this. It wouldn’t decrease the visibility of the current leaderboard.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

On 10.11.2020 at 11:23 PM, Sinthoras_96 said:

Whatever you do about the rarity Leaderboard: I'm all for it. 

I would also like to see some changes to the main Leaderboard. Companies like Ratalaika make a fortune out of psnp. Without the Leaderboard here, nobody would buy these crap games. 

On 11.11.2020 at 6:18 PM, jayboo1991 said:

I am totally in for it, but not only for a rarity leaderboard.

Would love to see that for the main leaderboard as well.

On 3.9.2020 at 5:45 AM, patrickogorman19 said:

This leaderboard still isn't apart of the main leaderboard. Should be a part of the main leaderboard section.

In this thread, these posts. I read similar sentiments somewhere else, but can't remember where. Now, I know it's not intended to be a replacement, and there is no campaign for a replacement. I don't want to be misunderstood there. It's just people do campaign against easy trophies, and a rarity leaderboard would be an excellent platform for it. If it gets an official link, who knows how things might shift. Or maybe they won't, I can't predict.

Edit: Just to clarify: Say PSNP has two the two types of leaderboard - as soon as a large enough group starts to say "Only the rarity leaderboard counts for [reasons], like they do against easy trophies, while de iure the main leaderboard is the main leaderboard, the rarity leaderboard might become de facto the main leaderboard, if that is what the majority refers to. And then the bias against those trophies would be en vogue.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

In this thread, these posts. I read similar sentiments somewhere else, but can't remember where. Now, I know it's not intended to be a replacement, and there is no campaign for a replacement. I don't want to be misunderstood there. It's just people do campaign against easy trophies, and a rarity leaderboard would be an excellent platform for it. If it gets an official link, who knows how things might shift. Or maybe they won't, I can't predict.

Edit: Just to clarify: Say PSNP has two the two types of leaderboard - as soon as a large enough group starts to say "Only the rarity leaderboard counts for [reasons], like they do against easy trophies, while de iure the main leaderboard is the main leaderboard, the rarity leaderboard might become de facto the main leaderboard, if that is what the majority refers to. And then the bias against those trophies would be en vogue.

I didn't said to remove the overall leaderboard completly, but if you visit the leaderboard site, the first you should see should be the rarity leaderboard.

The reason is simple:

Rarity is a perfect regulizer for effort and the only fair leaderboard in my eyes.

People would stop spamming those easy trophys and would go back the way, gaming should be. Fun, enjoying and not spamming shit 6-8 times for climbing in the rankings. ^^

• Like 1

Hey guys, the Brazilian site www.mypst.com uses a rarity system, with points called PDM (medium points of difficult) they are calculed different for every trophy, based on rarity of the trophy, using logarithmic math.

Most of the ratalaika trophy's gives you 0.5 points (minimum for a 100% rarity game) when a hard game like Arkham series platinum gives you 300 pt

Or metal gear revengeance 600 pt

Meat boy above 1k pts

It's by far, the best way to make a rarity rank

6 hours ago, jayboo1991 said:

People would stop spamming those easy trophys and would go back the way, gaming should be. Fun, enjoying and not spamming shit 6-8 times for climbing in the rankings. ^^

Annoyingly long games with stupid Trophy requirements are not fun. I'm having more fun with one Rata game than with finishing OMG-Z HD twenty times for that rare trophy.

1 hour ago, JoniP said:

Annoyingly long games with stupid Trophy requirements are not fun. I'm having more fun with one Rata game than with finishing OMG-Z HD twenty times for that rare trophy.

Well everyone else is having fun in their own way .. I like challenging, grinding stuff as well .. that makes the Platinum well more worth and I feel more proud of it.

And it's not, that I hate easy games .. I mean, I play them myself as well .. but it's a fact, that they broke the worthiness of trophys and it's not good, that you must play those games, if you want to get a place in the best 100.

Not sure, how much easy games from those companys exist .. but with all stacks I am sure, it's almost 1.000 and that's way too much - especially for that short time since they started releasing games!

I was sad, when I saw, that PS5 continues with regional stacks, since this is making the problem way bigger then it would be with only 1 stack or maybe 2 stacks (PS4 and PSV).

Now those companys will take all old Ratalaika games and do 4 PS5 stacks as well, so you can plat them up to 12 times.

In the view of trophy hunting, this is like the Corona Virus from gaming ?

Edited by jayboo1991
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jayboo1991 said:

I didn't said to remove the overall leaderboard completly, but if you visit the leaderboard site, the first you should see should be the rarity leaderboard.

The reason is simple:

Rarity is a perfect regulizer for effort and the only fair leaderboard in my eyes.

So I disagree with this and I think most on the site would. When you click leaderboard, the regular/current leaderboard should show up but it should be very easy and visible to toggle to the rarity leaderboard on the same page. 

It should not be a replacement. Just a very visible alternative.

• Like 3

On 19.11.2020 at 1:16 AM, Kal2210 said:

So I disagree with this and I think most on the site would. When you click leaderboard, the regular/current leaderboard should show up but it should be very easy and visible to toggle to the rarity leaderboard on the same page. 

It should not be a replacement. Just a very visible alternative.

Definitely