Usual suspects for cheaters

MAUSZX

So I'll be honest I recently kind understood what is cheating and how people usually cheat. This is because I am not paying that much of attention.

Now recently I have seen trending more often the flags disputes, so I have been checking them out, now I know usually the way to spot a cheater is the time between trophies is actually impossible to accomplish, with seconds of separation.

But I have heard people say "if you have FUEL, there is a high possibility you cheated."

So, there has to be a certain number of games that indicates that the probability of cheating is high, what games do you feel are those?

PS. I am not thinking on cheating or trying to create a witch Hunt, I am just curious about it.

I can only think of a few games 

cod black ops 2(due to 1 trophy being unobtainable)

I think socom 4 cant remember to well but  1 of the socom games for sure people hack

fifa 09 

cod classic

cant think of anything else at the moment :P

5 minutes ago, Mizztec said:

I can only think of a few games 

cod black ops 2(due to 1 trophy being unobtainable)

I think socom 4 cant remember to well but  1 of the socom games for sure people hack

fifa 09 

cod classic

cant think of anything else at the moment :P

Why CoD classic?

7 minutes ago, shpank-e said:

Just my two cents. I don't think it's wise to post a list like this. It will only give a heads up to the cheaters.It's similar to when people bring up other suspect games in a dispute. Don't bring attention to the game(s) not being disputed.

I don't comb through the leaderboards looking for cheaters. But when a dispute comes up, I always go to the OP's profile to look for the games I am very familiar with. I have a personal "usual suspects" games list. I always look for these games and then scrutinize the order of trophies.

It's my opinion that things like this, intentional or not, tend to instigate witch hunts as well. No need to create a blanket list that suggests the automatic casting of suspicion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shpank-e said:

Just my two cents. I don't think it's wise to post a list like this.

While understandable, that's how misinformation starts getting spread. This thread could help people get up to speed quickly on exactly what it's asking. And if "cheaters" or people with illegitimate time stamps see this thread, what are they going to do? Hide the game? Great, they're off that games Leaderboard and that's what people want. If they have other games they cheated on, it's up to people who care about those leaderboards to do their community duty and report them.

4 minutes ago, boringname123 said:

It's my opinion that things like this, intentional or not, tend to instigate witch hunts as well. No need to create a blanket list that suggests the automatic casting of suspicion.

Those people that witch hunt will be dealt with appropriately. The dispute threads don't indicate any "witch hunting" has been occurring.

1 hour ago, MAUSZX said:

So I'll be honest I recently kind understood what is cheating and how people usually cheat. This is because I am not paying that much of attention.

Now recently I have seen trending more often the flags disputes, so I have been checking them out, now I know usually the way to spot a cheater is the time between trophies is actually impossible to accomplish, with seconds of separation.

But I have heard people say "if you have FUEL, there is a high possibility you cheated."

So, there has to be a certain number of games that indicates that the probability of cheating is high, what games do you feel are those?

PS. I am not thinking on cheating or trying to create a witch Hunt, I am just curious about it.

My post here is for everyone so people are aware: I'm sure a lot of people on the leaderboards cheat. All games can be cheated and impossible to detect if the cheater is smart enough and spends time editing the trophy timestamps of games carefully to make them look legit by looking at completion times of people who actually earned them legit. Another way people cheat is use saves but some people are actually smart about it. There are Platinum save sets available online where people can pop the trophies in a way to make it look legit. If multiple trophies pop at once people can exploit the pop one trophy quit game before the next trophy pops on PS3 to control the timestamps of the cheated trophies. We can flag the obvious cheaters but the ones that take time to edit the timestamps carefully are impossible to detect.

1 hour ago, shpank-e said:

Just my two cents. I don't think it's wise to post a list like this. It will only give a heads up to the cheaters.It's similar to when people bring up other suspect games in a dispute. Don't bring attention to the game(s) not being disputed.

I don't comb through the leaderboards looking for cheaters. But when a dispute comes up, I always go to the OP's profile to look for the games I am very familiar with. I have a personal "usual suspects" games list. I always look for these games and then scrutinize the order of trophies.

I tend to agree with this. If you know some games that are very often cheated and it's easy to tell if someone has cheated in, then please do tell someone who you think does a lot of reporting and they might know someone who can "tackle" that. I know there's currently some work on reporting everyone who has clearly cheated many of the games mentioned in this thread, it just takes time! :P 

43 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

While you're having fun scanning through trophy lists, just make sure you're reading timestamps correctly. Reacquaint yourself with the face of an analog clock if you have to.

Who was this aimed at?

Be sure to report cheaters when you can.

One way to spot possible cheaters is looking at the Fastest Achievers List in various games. Someone got a time of just over two hours in Uncharted 4, he was rank #1 for a while before his account got removed from the leaderboards. This may of actually been save exploits rather than outright cheating, but I think both tend to reflect the kind of people who cheats, if only to gain some bragging rights.

I will never understand why people cheat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Who was this aimed at?

It was aimed at me as I read the timezone wrong and didn't notice the transition from p.m to a.m. He just likes to beat a dead horse as I apologized personally to him and to the person I reported wrongly. I also apologized to Grimydawg. This is just a comment trying to get a reaction, virtue signaling and has no purpose but to provoke. 

Edited by FOX
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, shpank-e said:

My opinion as well.

I'll add that if you find something wrong on a disputer's profile, then don't go saying in the dispute "can you explain game X" while the dispute is about game Y. Two reasons:

1. It is appreciated if the dispute thread remains on the topic of the game that is being disputed.
  2. It's a big warning signal to the disputee that they should hide that game before it gets flagged.

Better report the game and say something generic in the thread about seeing more games that seem off. This way the staff knows something is probably wrong, and others can realise they could help finding more, because in general people will only look at the games they are accustomed with themselves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nenugalimas said:

Games like FUEL are impossible to do legitimately due to server closure thus the 'high probability'. Earning online trophies in games with closed servers is typically a give away. 

Well yeah... Usually, but games like Batman Arkham Origins, servers are "close" but you can create a private session and still get the multiplayer trophies, so that doesn't always apply.

Edited by MAUSZX

7 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

A little off topic but is it possible to unlock a platinum before getting all trophies for the base game? Like earning the plat,then after 15-20 seconds earn the last trophy (not dlc trophy)

I think I've had a plat pop up a second or two before the final trophy once or twice, but have never heard of a big gap like >= 10 seconds. One thing that is possible though is the other way around though -- the platinum can pop up a long time after the last trophy, especially in games with things like a cross-save feature.

12 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

I think I've had a plat pop up a second or two before the final trophy once or twice, but have never heard of a big gap like >= 10 seconds. One thing that is possible though is the other way around though -- the platinum can pop up a long time after the last trophy, especially in games with things like a cross-save feature.

I saw a trophy list where they got the platinum,then after 19 seconds they got the last trophy.The other trophies in the list where fine,so i guess that is no need to report 

Edit.Person who had that problem was reported for changing time stamps in another game,so go figure...

Edited by sephiroth4424

3 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

Well yeah... Usually, but games like Batman Arkham Origins, servers are "close" but you can create a private session and still get the multiplayer trophies, so that doesn't always apply.

How server closure affects trophies is different on a game by game bases but the basic idea is, if the online functionality needed for a trophy is removed the trophy becomes unattainable. Earning that trophy in the absence of the functionality is plenty of reason to suspect foul play.

39 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

My opinion as well.

I'll add that if you find something wrong on a disputer's profile, then don't go saying in the dispute "can you explain game X" while the dispute is about game Y. Two reasons:

1. It is appreciated if the dispute thread remains on the topic of the game that is being disputed.
  2. It's a big warning signal to the disputee that they should hide that game before it gets flagged.

Better report the game and say something generic in the thread about seeing more games that seem off. This way the staff knows something is probably wrong, and others can realise they could help finding more, because in general people will only look at the games they are accustomed with themselves.

I usually do that stuff when I find it super suspicious, but I know I can't report them for it. ;p 

32 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

A little off topic but is it possible to unlock a platinum before getting all trophies for the base game? Like earning the plat,then after 15-20 seconds earn the last trophy (not dlc trophy)

Usually the platinum trigger is the last trophy popping, so I do find this kind of stuff super suspicious. You know most trophies will pop with a decent amount of time apart, so they appear on the screen for x amount of seconds, but if the next trophy to pop is the plat, it pops much faster.

As for plat popping long after last trophy. It's fully possible, but it's usually a sign of that someone else did that trophy for you. What I mean is that for this to happen you need to pop the last trophies on a local account that hasn't synched the other trophies to it yet. This can happen if you create a new user and just earn the last trophy on it before you synch. The platinum will not pop then, but after synching trophies, the plat will pop at the next time the game checks for this. Not sure if it will happen while the game is still running or if you need to restart the game for it to pop. If you don't start the game again, you can have all the trophies without the plat! ;p Honestly, you shouldn't really be doing this. Make it a habit to always synch trophies if you've earned new ones on another console for the game you're going to play before you play it.

Edited by MMDE

6 hours ago, Mizztec said:

mostly due to veteran difficulty most people cant beat it probably due to the health bar and no regen health like newer cods but it is a very common hacked plat 

It CAN be beaten and I have done it on the PC before. It's not that difficult if you know where the enemies are on the map