I realised I need to stop buying games, anyone else?

tpepper1985

I point the blame on game developers.

With so many big titles yet to come out this year and next year, I think it's pretty obvious why a lot of us had their backlogs balloon to well over a hundred games.

Then you have the Playstation Flash Sales which don't help at all. Just makes our backlogs increase by 5 - 10 games.

I can just imagine going back to 2008 and seeing only a few people have maybe five or six games on their backlog, because many games did not have trophy support. Today it's pretty common for us trophy hunters to have 50 - 100 games on our backlogs. By the time we finally get around to some of these games we're going to have the new Assassins Creed, the new Far Cry, and possibly Red Dead Redemption 2 just released in stores and on Amazon.com. So, we decide to go out and buy all of these titles and we're right back at the number we were a month or two ago.

We're pretty spoiled when we think about it.

I have around 90 - 91 games on my backlog. A few, like Grand Theft Auto V and Dark Souls, I may never get around to platinum. My list is in reality pretty manageable, but if you're a 30s - 40s some year old family man or woman with two or three kids to look after, then it's pretty difficult to tackle your backlog, let alone finish most of it before family life and giving your children moral support kick in.

I'm 28 years old, have no girlfriend, no kids, no real struggle pulling me down. I do however work rather frequently and got college, and both of these have made an impact on my play time. Sometimes I can barely touch my Playstation consoles because work could get to the point where I have little time to do anything else. The next day comes by and I'm thrust back into the work environment, with the managers not caring how hard people like me work. Then for the most trivial reasons they slap a warning on me because I did not work to their standards.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Livingstone7728 said:

It's gotten so bad for me that... (And i know this is greasy) i'll prioritize my games based on trophy list... most games have roughly the same amount of trophy points... but i wont play anything that requires alot of repetitive grinding to get a single trophy.... 

Hey there's no shame in that, I do this as well. Not all the time but unless it's a really really good game I'm not usually willing to do a 100 hour grind. Having said that I'm playing Skyrim and Mass Effect at the moment. This is why It's been 6 weeks since my last platinum haha!

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

I point the blame on game developers.

With so many big titles yet to come out this year and next year, I think it's pretty obvious why a lot of us had their backlogs balloon to well over a hundred games.

Then you have the Playstation Flash Sales which don't help at all. Just makes our backlogs increase by 5 - 10 games.

Maybe the market is over saturated. We have alot of choice which is great but you also hear that budgets are out of control and so are sales expectations. I mean look at last year, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1, and Titanfall 2 all released within weeks of each other. I own two of those games I played Titanfall for about 20 hours and stopped it's a great game but there is no point in getting invested in these big MP games when you have another 200 games to play. Still not finished Battlefield 1 ... I will maybe get back to finish the trophies off after Skyrim

I did this task three years ago when I returned to the PS3 and realised getting to 100% on my current games and backlog divided by the 2 hours a day I get to play would take 4 years to complete. So I did the following:

1. First task was to complete all multiplayer trophies to avoid Unachievable trophies.

2. Second was to complete games to 100%

3. Then I looked through my backlog and had to be ruthless in which games I would play and which ones to side line. These were the games I wanted to do before moving to the PS4

4. Then recently I started looking at points to achieve Milestones whilst also maintaining game orders (going a bit too far)

5. Now I play a game until it's finished before moving on to the next. I'm down to my last 116 trophies before moving to the PS4.

6. This of course is only really an issue for completionists.

It's another one of those situations where you can start to become a slave to trophies but at the same time it's these trophies that have pushed me to see aspects of a game I never would have done without them (as someone else mentioned above).

Anyone wanting to become a completionist has to be realistic especially when you have time constraints.

9 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

Anyone wanting to become a completionist has to be realistic especially when you have time constraints.

Anybody who has trophy hunted for several years and still has a 100 percent completion rate on their profile deserves a bit of respect. That's pretty difficult to pull off.

I stopped caring about 100 percent completion a long while back. If I ever get to 90 percent completion that's good enough for me. A lot of trophy hunters aren't completionists, and becoming one is taking another step forward.

Then you have games you have played but aren't interested in fully finishing. That's completely fine.

Getting 100% completion in every game I play is just not possible for me. I buy too many games and they sit unplayed because i'm trying to 100% the game I'm on even if I don't like it. I'm trying to change that now by only 100% games I really enjoy or are just easy to do. I don't mind by 65% completion rate right now but I would prefer it to be 75% but it's not a big deal. I just want to enjoy my games. 

I've never had that problem. Generally, I'll decide on my next game and buy it just before I've finished with my current game. The amount of time it'll take to finish the story, trophies and my current stats don't come into it. I'm picky about the games I'll play too and I take my time playing them, that prolonged playtime on a single game usually gets me a half decent haul of trophies by default and if I like it enough, I'll try for the platinum. Despite preferring a slow and immersive approach I don't usually have a whole lot of time to play so I need to make sure I'm going to enjoy myself, so by taking it one game at a time and getting the absolute most out of every game before I decide what to buy next it doesn't allow for a backlog to build up. 

Even with being careful about the games I buy there's probably still a sizable amount of games I'd play but I'm not gonna go and buy them and have them sitting there for weeks or months later. If anything that'd probably make me start rushing my games, I'd always feel like I have to finish up and move on ASAP. If my way of playing and thinking means I'll never get round to some games if I'd probably enjoy I'm okay with that. It's no big deal for me. All that matters to me is that I'm loving the shit of whatever I'm playing now, which is usually the case. 

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

I am probably getting close to 500 in my backlog, the problem is Sony have improved the sales lately and im normally buying like 10-20 indie games a month. :S

I couldn't live with 500 games on backlog.

Welp, Sony is now insisting that my credit card & Paypal info are incorrect despite me being perfectly capable of purchasing games with them a mere few days ago and none of my info changing.... silver lining, can't spend my money on games I reaaaaally don't need? ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ahoyimzoe said:

Welp, Sony is now insisting that my credit card & Paypal info are incorrect despite me being perfectly capable of purchasing games with them a mere few days ago and none of my info changing.... silver lining, can't spend my money on games I reaaaaally don't need? 1f62d.png

I'm not the only one then! 

I was having problems checking out as well. I'm going to try the ps4 instead of the app/website. 

And ya it's ironic that I probably won't get to them for weeks, and RE7 for months ><

At least there's acknowledgment of a problem xD

On 24/5/2017 at 3:11 PM, FawltyPowers said:

I did this task three years ago when I returned to the PS3 and realised getting to 100% on my current games and backlog divided by the 2 hours a day I get to play would take 4 years to complete. So I did the following:

1. First task was to complete all multiplayer trophies to avoid Unachievable trophies.

2. Second was to complete games to 100%

3. Then I looked through my backlog and had to be ruthless in which games I would play and which ones to side line. These were the games I wanted to do before moving to the PS4

4. Then recently I started looking at points to achieve Milestones whilst also maintaining game orders (going a bit too far)

5. Now I play a game until it's finished before moving on to the next. I'm down to my last 116 trophies before moving to the PS4.

6. This of course is only really an issue for completionists.

It's another one of those situations where you can start to become a slave to trophies but at the same time it's these trophies that have pushed me to see aspects of a game I never would have done without them (as someone else mentioned above).

I feel you. That's how I try to manage my backlog. I ve been hunting online trophies for the last few months. Almost all of my milestones are planned except for my 10th platinum. 

I felt the same after looking at my backlog. I have so many games to play currently that I probably have no need to buy a new game for at least a year+. If I try to platinum them all it would take considerably longer.  Though the other side of that, is there are also so many good games that come out now that you then miss out on some pretty good ones if you don't pick them up at some point.

I realized it when I stopped working and didn't have a steady form of income. I would buy things on sale but when it really hit was when I ended up buying two games that were for the PSP. It turned into a waste of money. My work around is picking up games from my local library. That's where the majority of the games on my profile come from. But if the price is right and it's only available online then I will consider buying it. I still will be hesitant to buy games when I start working again. 

I also stopped or at least try to buying games from thrift stores. I have a decent backlog of PS1 and PS2 games that I have picked up over the years but I will probably never play them. Hell, I have even picked up games for systems I don't have. 

10 minutes ago, FrozennDusk said:

I felt the same after looking at my backlog. I have so many games to play currently that I probably have no need to buy a new game for at least a year+. If I try to platinum them all it would take considerably longer.  Though the other side of that, is there are also so many good games that come out now that you then miss out on some pretty good ones if you don't pick them up at some point.

I don't have the backlog some of us do but I do know it would likely take a full year for me to completely clear it out.

The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Demon Souls, and Metal Gear Solid 2, 4 and Phantom Pain will likely account for roughly 700 hours of game play. That's nearly 30 whole days of me trying to beat these games and get all trophies. 

Then there are games like Vanquish, Velocity 2X, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Rogue Legacy and Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number which are very skill based and can vary wildly depending on the player. The last three no death trophies left I need for Meat Boy will probably take 20 - 30 hours each. So those are already a big time investment. 

9 minutes ago, scarishbal said:

I realized it when I stopped working and didn't have a steady form of income. I would buy things on sale but when it really hit was when I ended up buying two games that were for the PSP. It turned into a waste of money. My work around is picking up games from my local library. That's where the majority of the games on my profile come from. But if the price is right and it's only available online then I will consider buying it. I still will be hesitant to buy games when I start working again. 

I also stopped or at least try to buying games from thrift stores. I have a decent backlog of PS1 and PS2 games that I have picked up over the years but I will probably never play them. Hell, I have even picked up games for systems I don't have. 

I feel you. I have a Donkey Kong game for the Wii that I never finished, and I have two copies of Red Dead Redemption. 

Going to be hell selling the 360 version of Red Dead.

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I'm not the only one then! 

I was having problems checking out as well. I'm going to try the ps4 instead of the app/website. 

And ya it's ironic that I probably won't get to them for weeks, and RE7 for months ><

At least there's acknowledgment of a problem xD

I tried the PS4 when I got home from work (tried to buy on my work PC so I can download them straight to my console and boom they're ready to play when I get home, that's when I first started having trouble) but nope, still wouldn't let me. So frustrating! 

UPDATE: I tried again on PC and it works now??? Hallelujah!

And there goes $7 for a copy of TLOK on PS4, whoops!

Edited by ahoyimzoe

I feel your pain. I have games from 2010 that are STILL SEALED!! ? Not only that, my digital backlog is even worst than my physical backlog. I have over 2,550 downloads in my digital history; with about half of that as stand along full games. I too, need to stop buying games for a long time. But knowing myself, I have a few digital games I'm waiting for them to go on sale (which will happen this year) and will buy :shakefist: sadly, I've decided that once the games I want are on sale, I get them and after that, I'll be done buying games for a long time. Have enough to last me for a VERY long time. 

Yah, definitely. I only buy games if I REALLY want them, like Crash Bandicoot or Morrowind or Final Fantasy XII

and I dont want to wait for any Sale. My new technique is saving me tons of money because I'm always using the Sales, and Sales only.

GameStop isnt what it used to be and no store will come close to the Sales and the money you safe from them.

I kinda missed the topic but yes, I need to stop. I have three cabinets full of games, mostly PS3.

I only buy if I really have to and if its a title I was waiting for, stuff like RDR2 or State of Decay 2, I'll not hesitate to push the BUY button, lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm actually thinking about getting the Just Cause 3 complete digital edition on sale for €20, while I have already played through it once and I have enough bought and PS+ games in my unplayed backlog.

Somebody stop me!

Wanna end up like that?

7n2RNvJ.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ars said:

Wanna end up like that?

7n2RNvJ.jpg

No I don't, and I just about ended up like that on X360 if digital games count too... Guess I should focus on my Summer Backlog Challenge list instead and get through some stuff before the new games I want get released.

Damnit, why do you always have to be reasonable and logical? For once, just be a dick, I can't wait to tell you to "stop making an ars of yourself!"

• Like 1