Are video games too expensive these days?

Video games have never been cheaper and that will get even better when we fully accept the digital switch. You can also play the market tactically, if you want a AAA release but don't want to pay £40/$60? Just wait a month or two and there's bound to be a discount. Then there's indies, maybe they don't always have the bells and whistles of a AAA but they usually deliver with pure gameplay and at a bargain price. There have been many indies I've bought that I would have been willing to pay more to show better support.

• Like 2

Consoles are fairly priced, but when it comes to games, it depends what you're talking about. Just games are fine, but throwing in the DLC makes many games ridiculously priced. Honestly, I wish they'd just increase the price of games and just start including all of this planned "DLC" for free instead.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

I think that you pay a little more for "remaster" games

My thoughts exactly. It kinda confuses me that people that own some video games actually buy the again because "duh. it's HD".

8 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Nah son, not at all:

Consumers-Distributing-Ultimate-1996-Video-Catalogue.jpg

Ahahahah, actually i got the idea for this thread because of something i saw on a PS magazine from 1996. But this kinda drives what i think home

1 minute ago, ExHaseo said:

Consoles are fairly priced, but when it comes to games, it depends what you're talking about. Just games are fine, but throwing in the DLC makes many games ridiculously priced. Honestly, I wish they'd just increase the price of games and just start including all of this planned "DLC" for free instead.

Yeah, some DLC is clearly overpriced to be honest... I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed Franchise!

• Like 1

As someone that grew up in the late 80's and all of the 90's and read that title:

wkEU61j.gif

Games are pretty cheap to what they used to me. Not to mention all of the sales. Buying a game less than $20 was unheard of back then.

• Like 4

Absolutely not. Like others have pointed out, games used to be far more expensive than they are today. Those were for games which were much less detailed too. Considering how long it takes to make a AAA game these days with huge teams of developers, I think that for the most part, they're very well priced. Of course, a lot of these games end up getting more money out of consumers with microtransactions and what not, but thankfully not all.

Anyway, when I preorder a game (right now Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War, and the Final Fantasy VII remake), I just use my Amazon Prime membership that I'd have even if I wasn't a gamer. I can get preorder games for $47.99 and have free two-day shipping. It's a must-have for me ever since I moved to a tiny town in Minnesota to help take care of my grandmother.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, juniordrfanatic said:

My thoughts exactly. It kinda confuses me that people that own some video games actually buy the again because "duh. it's HD".

Ahahahah, actually i got the idea for this thread because of something i saw on a PS magazine from 1996. But this kinda drives what i think home

Yeah, some DLC is clearly overpriced to be honest... I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed Franchise!

Some remaster games just have a little improvement in the look the rest is the same! Tomb raider on ps4 has one new thing: the face of lara ....the rest of the characters has exactly the same face as the ps3 version, LINDOOOO, bravooo !!

The strategy today is to launch an incomplete game and then walk 5 months with those dlc parts ! this is very beautiful....  (there is someone who says that is a way for them to make more money)eheheheheheheheh

3 minutes ago, juniordrfanatic said:

The worst, to me, is that in addition to DLC that's planned to be included in the game since it's inception, is the addition of F2P aspects in games now. Like Overwatch. Already have to pay full price, but then everything about the game functions like a F2P game. The limited maps. No story mode. Having to use a gacha system to unlock anything. Having the slow trickle of gacha items unless you pay. Blizzard's F2P game, Heroes of the Storm, even adopted the exact system. Except it's free. And it even gives out way more loot boxes more consistently. Drives me insane. x_x /rant

• Like 2

I do agree that some DLC can get expensive compared with what you are getting if you don't get a good deal on a season pass. If you're like me and like to get the special editions, you might be lucky enough to get one with that

I'm kinda suprised. I was expecting more responses like "yeah man, games are totally overpriced, they should be like free". But i'm actually talking to grown up people that are old enough to remember what the the SNES looks like and that we used to play video games in cartridges.

6 minutes ago, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

Some remaster games just have a little improvement in the look the rest is the same! Tomb raider on ps4 has one new thing: the face of lara ....the rest of the characters has exactly the same face as the ps3 version, LINDOOOO, bravooo !!

The strategy today is to launch an incomplete game and then walk 5 months with those dlc parts ! this is very beautiful....  (there is someone who says that is a way for them to make more money)eheheheheheheheh

Oh, you forgot trophies! They have trophies too. So they are better ahahahaha. No, NOT A CHANCE! THEY DON'T LAUnCH DLC BECAUSE THEY'RE IN IT FOR THE MONEY!!!! IT'S THE ART! THE ART OF THE DLC MAN.

In the UK and Ireland, kind of a yes. The average cost of a new release PS3 game before was €49.99, while now for a PS4 the starting price is €79.99. GameStop is also quite expensive in that there is often only a tiny price difference between the new and used games. Prices drops vary, but RPGs like Persona and Tales seem to stay at full price for ages. Used games are a lot cheaper online as opposed to retail stores in general. Old games and unpopular games are dirt cheap though.

My account is Japanese, and lot of digital games are fairly expensive depending on the game. FFXV is the most expensive PSN game I've come across, costing around 8000 yen, while I bought my physical copy second hand for only 2000 yen. KH is also pretty expensive, something like 7000 yen. For Japanese games, digital is always very expensive with most new games costing 6000-7000 yen.

However, physical copies are a lot cheaper second hand on Amazon or stores like Book Off. But "All The Best" versions which are half the price, usually around 3000 yen, tend to come out after a year or so and are the exact same, only cheaper with smaller cover art, so I usually try and go for those if buying on the ps store.