What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

Mr_MovieMan29

Favorite Final Fantasy?.  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Pick it!

• Final Fantasy
    • Final Fantasy II
    • Final Fantasy III
    • Final Fantasy IV
    • Final Fantasy V
    • Final Fantasy VI
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Final Fantasy VIII
    • Final Fantasy IX
    • Final Fantasy X
    • Final Fantasy XI
    • Final Fantasy XII
    • Final Fantasy XIII
    • Final Fantasy XIII-2
    • Final Fantasy XIV
    • One of the Final Fantasy Legends
    • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    • Final Fantasy Tactics

I played all of them, FF6 is the best.

Care to elaborate? I have played them all -- except III -- and I hear this fondness for VI often, but have never quite understood it. It is one of the better in the series, no doubt, but what makes it stand out to you?

For me Final Fantasy VI,VII, VIII, IX, X and XII are very near and dear to me due to obvious reasons! I got introduced to the franchise after buying Final Fantasy VI on my Playstation and fell in love instantly! The lovable characters, awesome story and magnificent music made the franchise what it is today. I'm also a big fan of Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Dissidia! The joy to be able to see Zack's story to the fullest and to be able to pit the characters I love in an epic battle was a dream come true! Now I simply can't wait for the new Final Fantasy VII Remake and the new Final Fantasy Dissidia! <3

I agree. Crisis core was amazing. I'm also a fan of DoC (Dirge of Cerberus) where you play as Vincent from FF7 the entire game. Bit wonky on controls but it's a really fun game for me and gives more of Vincents story which I love since FF7 tells you everyone's back story except his really

Also why is Lightning returns not up here? That does surprise me

X gets my vote for favorite overall FF game. As my first FF that I completed it will always have a special place for me.

I would have to pick IX for the leveling system and how your abilities are acquired.

XIII-2 was a great game to play and I loved the story.

I'm looking forward to the new Dissidia, if it releases on PS4 like scheduled instead of just Vita and hopefully more info on a release for XV.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an interesting topic, mainly seeing those torn between early (VI and before) FF games and later (VII and onward) titles.  For me, FF VII is my favorite, and always will be.  I did enjoy VIII, but it didn't stick with me the way VII did.  I also haven't got around to some of the more recent games yet (but hope to... one day).

The thing is, I remember when the first FF game came out in the US (around 1989).  My friend's and I were playing Dragon Warrior non-stop back then, so when FF came out, no one cared, not among our group anyway.  I think only one guy got it, and he tried to sell us by saying 'it's like Dragon Warrior, but you play with 3 people instead of 1'.  Needless to say, I stuck with Dragon Warrior.  Years later I tried to play some of the original NES and SNES FF games on PC (emulated), and I just couldn't get into them.  Graphics were too old and out-dated, and I just didn't have the time for the story.  Also, this was AFTER I had played, and loved FF VII.  However, I still load up Dragon Warrior (and Legend of Zelda) every few years on my emulator and replay them, despite the ancient graphics, so I know its not this.  It's really just that I grew up with specific games and will always love them.  That's why I will get FF VII re-release on PS4, and the remake that will probably come out in 2025 or later :P  I will play these each for well over 100 hours and love them, regardless of any changes big or small.  But I'll probably never be able to go back and experience pre-VII FF games for the first time.

I feel like a lot of people in here fall into this bucket.  Cause you either played those games as a kid and loved them, or you didn't.  And if you loved them then, you will love them now.  I'll always love Dragon Warrior, while most of you probably don't even know what it is.  I now kinda wish I had played the first FF with my buddy.  Maybe I would've played them all up to this point instead of starting with VII.  But I didn't, and as far as this thread goes, VII is my favorite, and probably always will be.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

FF12. It had that sense of adventure and of no belonging that I think any fantasy game should have. Plus any game that makes you question whether you can kill a dinosaur or not at level 5 is probably off to a good start in my books. I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

It was open-world and you could backtrack as far as you cared to.

It had some cool auto-levelling tricks to boost your characters' 50+ levels while you slept.

Gambits were fun. Combat system was nowhere near as annoying as 10 and 13 and you got to choose when you fight.

Buying spells and buying or finding area maps.

I even fancied the bunny-woman because I was 14 years old and didn't have a clue.

I'm a fanboy :)

Care to elaborate? I have played them all -- except III -- and I hear this fondness for VI often, but have never quite understood it. It is one of the better in the series, no doubt, but what makes it stand out to you?

FF1, FF4 and FF6 was the FF games released in NA before FF7. They were renamed FF, FFII and FFIII when released in NA. FF4 has a pretty strong story and is pretty cool in a lot of ways, but very rough around the edges. FF6 improved upon pretty much everything from FF4, even if most of the bigger changes happened with FF5. Anyway, FF6 is pretty impressive for a SNES game when it comes to pretty much everything, so those who played it back when it was released has a very soft spot for the game. The graphics and the soundtrack, excellent! The story is long and pretty deep. You got a cool and memorable bad guy, and side-bosses etc. You've a huge world to explore that changes as you progress in the story. You meet lots of strange and different characters that has a lot of back story and most goes through character development. The story is worth while going through. Lots of optional stuff. etc etc. Really very much a great game. I think the weakest point of the game was the battle system. It was in no way bad, far above average, but just not as good as FFV, FFVII and FFIX IMO. :P FF6 and CT are probably the best RPGs of the 4th generation. As far as RPGs goes, I think 4th and 5th generation were golden era.

Even with that said, I prefer both FFIX and FFVII over FFVI.

Edited by MMDE

Well, I cant say much abut this because I only played the 1st on the PSP but quitted a bit after and now I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 which I adore so much. But I want to try the others too.

FF1 would be more of an acquired taste at this point. :P Honestly, the GBA and PSP version of FF1 and FF2 are pretty good with lots of improvements to battle system and graphics and tons of extra content.

If you like FFXIII-2, I'd recommend you try one of the PS1 games or FFX. The games with trophies I would recommend would be FFVII and FFX.

Gotta say XII

I know it's a bit contentious but it's the first one I really got into and loved. Everything about it is so refreshing from the usual Final Fantasy fare, and the voice work (particularly Balthier) is amazing. It's also got a shit load to do what with the hunts and all that, though FUCK the Zodiac Spear. 

Can't wait for the HD re-release (Haven't played IZJS so it should be great as it's almost a completely different game from what I hear). 

Also where's X-2? I know that's also another VERY contentious one but it's got a great battle system (actually enjoyed it more than X to be honest but FUCK the 100%. Abandoned it in a fit of rage not too long ago after fucking up one of the camera sections). 

Edited by LunchCannon54
  • Like 1

I voted for FFX. I played most of the FF games, I'm only missing VIII, IX and XII on my list (hence I'm really hoping for PC ports or HD remasters of those), so I can't really say anything about those 3. ;)

Anyway, FFX really catched me, I LOVED its story and world. Everything was right about that one to me. :D Number 2 on my favorites-list would be XIII and number 3 FFIV. :)

Gotta say XII

(particularly Balthier)

Also where's X-2? I know that's also another VERY contentious one but it's got a great battle system (actually enjoyed it more than X to be honest but FUCK the 100%. Abandoned it in a fit of rage not too long ago after fucking up one of the camera sections). 

If you like Balthier, that guy has been in quite a lot - especially Final Fantasys. Tactics, XII, XIII-2, XIII LR, World of Warcraft, DAO, DA2, DAI. I'm always hearing his voice pop up in my favourite games.

And I agree with you about X-2. Battle system was great but the chocobo race time to 0:00 and dodging a billion lightning strikes until you do 200 consecutive dodges were more than enough reason to ragequit.

4,5,6,7 and 10 are my favorites. Nobody talks about 5 even though it is one of the more complex and difficult final fantasies.

Eh? I think I mentioned FFV several times in this thread. But really, it's no wonder why people don't mention it when it wasn't released outside Japan on SNES. I played the PS1 version of it. I wouldn't say among the most difficult, that prize goes to FFII and FFIV IMO, but the job system was great! :)

Edited by MMDE

If you like Balthier, that guy has been in quite a lot - especially Final Fantasys. Tactics, XII, XIII-2, XIII LR, World of Warcraft, DAO, DA2, DAI. I'm always hearing his voice pop up in my favourite games.

And I agree with you about X-2. Battle system was great but the chocobo race time to 0:00 and dodging a billion lightning strikes until you do 200 consecutive dodges were more than enough reason to ragequit.

Yeah I know who Gideon Emery is, he's also in Vanquish. 

Those minigames you speak of were in X, not X-2 (though were almost as annoying). 

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude I was just addressing your points. 

4,5,6,7 and 10 are my favorites. Nobody talks about 5 even though it is one of the more complex and difficult final fantasies.

Like someone said :

"Probably because the story and music weren't as memorable as the other more well known entries, less people played it, and it's nothing special gameplay wise looking back now.

Considering the game is almost impossible to find. "

The game has his moments, but currently FF has several  games with bosses and increased difficulties superior! You can't compare for example EXDEATH against YIAZMAT or shinryu against Long gui !

IMO :)