If you could create your own game, what would it be like?

MidnightCJ

Mods: If this is not the proper forum for this topic, feel free to move it.

I am going to be attending a nine-week course for video game design in Unity 3 in September. I know it won't make me a video game designer but it is the first step so I wanted to share a few thoughts on what I want to create if I got the team(yes, I know there are some indie games which were created by one person but those games are very much in the league of Shovel Knight shovelware(pun-shot), you need to have more people to create art assets and sound assets and what not) to make a decent indie game. My dream game is an RPG that is a hybrid of the later Persona games with their Social Links system and action RPG combat from Kingdom Hearts. The main aspects would be a speed-run mode(I love speed runners and want to make their runs as rage-free as possible without having to rely on glitches) and a New Game+ mode where you only have two things carry over but you could earn the right to carry other stuff over like your EXP levels by clearing rogue-like dungeons with a secret boss at the end to get "time capsules" that let you carry over other things to New Game+.

What would you like to see in a game? I know that a lot of you will have wildly different opinions as you like different things: I know not everyone wants an RPG, they could want a third-person shooter or a fighting game. But if you could create your dream game, what would you want to add to it to make it fun. Also, to add some discussion, what sort of trophies would you demand be on your game and would you want to have a platinum trophy for it?

Just now, pyrotempestwing said:

I kinda want to see a Magical Girl RPG, element based (Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Darkness, Light) with the first male in the organization as 1 of the main 6 Heroes.

Cool! Check back in early 2019, I might be able to accomodate you. My plans were to create an RPG involving a female main character. :D

(Also, you might like Blue Reflection, it's basically a Magical Girl RPG from what I heard.)

I've always wanted to play a turn based roguelike RPG where you specifically have X hours of in-game time to complete. You have physical and magic attacks. Except magic attacks cost time (i.e. 1 minute) and if you die, you have to start over the game. The game autosaves when you die or complete a battle. No slowing down or stopping time functions, it's all or nothing! 

Firstly I would like to direct a new Final Fantasy game, to make the series great again. It would take mostly influence from FF 1,2,4,5,6 and 9. 

Second game I would want to make is a multiplayer only 3PS. I love the multiplayer of Uncharted 2 and 3, Uncharted 4 is decent. The gunplay would be similar to that of Uncharted. The theme in the game would be darker and there would be blood and gore. 

• Like 1

I want to tap on a ketchup bucket and get a platinum for that in like 4 minutes. ? 

But in all honesty, I want an open world game like Dark Souls which has a space theme like Dead Space to it. The problem is, that

I don't know how to implement great boss fights, since in space it's mandatory to use some sort of laser guns. And any attempt

to use a laser sword is too much like Star Wars. But yeah, something like that. 

I was thinking of something like this storyline wise it would start off in a dream the main character would probably be a dragon and you can choose which ever element to use ranging from darkness, light, fire, water and others. Anyway Eventually what would is the dream would end up becoming its own reality as well as things would start to cross over from the dream into the other reality and would likely set the course on how the world would end unless the main character can figure out to separate the two worlds that is so they don't overlap one another or maybe end in a way I haven't thought of yet.
Pretty much got this idea based on dreams I've had one where a couple of dragons made attempts to cross over in this reality and Azelf made an attempt as well. and Moltres made an attempt to synchronize every reality I've been in in order to destroy them just to keep me in that reality. 
As far as the rest of the story think what I might have in mind may end up going beyond dreams and reality
 But pretty much was going to make adjustments to both and think I have somewhat of idea on how it would be played out
Gameplay wise I'd probably have it be an Open World Action-adventure RPG of some sorts. 

Plus I think we just need more games that you can play as dragons.

Edited by Nightstream88

it would be Acion JRPG

some awesome artwork from ~ George Kamitani, Yoshitaka Amano, old Ghibli Members (there also good fantasy Artists on Wizzards of the Coast btw)

music from ~ Joe Hisaishi, Yasunori Mistuda, Hitoshi Sakimoto, and maybe Tsuyoshi Sekito (The Last Remant) and REVO (Bravely Default)

gameplay similar but expanded ~  Ys ~ Celceta / Odin Sphere (3d/2d)

and good story ~ some old tales from human history (Persian, Babylonian or Aztec lore reprocessed by good japan writer)

also it sounds insane but with VR technology develops further it coud be interesting to create some king of emulator, where you can play old games on realistic equipment inside athmospherical VR environment ~ Gameception   x_x

Edited by nyantzu1986
cleanup +add idea

grand theft auto with a campaign and trophies that can be earned entirely in two to four-player co-op...would also like a trophy called "liberty city minute hardcore" included in the list...same idea as max payne 3 here...also, no microtransactions plz...less emphasis on mindless grinding for cash in mp...plenty more heists, preferably international ones as well, with time + cash earned leaderboards for those of us who like to speedrun skillfully...I guess a game like payday + gta is kind of what I'm getting at...

another idea would be to have a set number of gangs (I.e. yakuza, mafia, fib, triads, etc.) to choose from when you start a character which you wouldn't be able to change without creating a new character, and have to earn your way to the top (i.e. crime boss) by outperforming other members of your gang with a variety of optional daily/weekly challenges...inter-gang faceoff events streamed live would also be fun...would be cool if Rockstar devs challenged the top gang regularly too...

I would create an RPG with an ATB time battle system like FFX-2 had, and an extensive job system like the FF Tactics series.

In terms for field, I'd have it non-linear with event choices and being able to choose what to say to other characters, similar to games like Tales of Xillia 2, Persona, Life is strange etc. with three endings: True, normal and bad depending on player choices.

I wouldn't make it open world but not linear either. A world like KH or Tales would be good, not too massive but not stuck in one place, plus the ability to freely travel. Dungeons would be a bit like a puzzle to solve as opposed to just running through a massive cave. I'd base the world like cities and then forests and field in between, a bit like Pokemon. 

I'd make the character design similar to KH and FF, not exactly anime but not super realistic either.

The party would a total of 6 with 3 per battle and able to switch in and out characters. 

Saving would be from the menu plus an auto save slot to make life easier like FFXV, but the ability to save in dungeons as well (unlike FFXV).

The style would be more modern as opposed to medieval.

4 difficulty settings- easy, normal, hard, chaos! The trophies would be moderate in that I'd want to platinum duration to be about 70 hours and 6/10 difficulty, so it's achievable if you persevere but not super long that people just give up or super easy and short that it becomes one of those games people play just for the easy plat. 

It seems like a mish mash of my favourite games, so I'm sure how it would work out but it's fun to think about. 

20 hours ago, ID-69 said:

Firstly I would like to direct a new Final Fantasy game, to make the series great again. It would take mostly influence from FF 1,2,4,5,6 and 9

You'd have to ask Nomura about that, and I don't think he'd share your sentiments. xD

16 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

It seems like a mish mash of my favourite games, so I'm sure how it would work out but it's fun to think about. 

Well, my idea is similar to yours(a mishmash of Kingdom Hearts and Persona 5) so I am sharing the same thoughts. ;)

22 hours ago, pyrotempestwing said:

I kinda want to see a Magical Girl RPG, element based (Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Darkness, Light) with the first male in the organization as 1 of the main 6 Heroes.

Like this Magical Girl? :D

Image result for dark magician girl

• Like 1

A tactical, turn-based RPG based on the Wing Commander series. Instead of being a pilot like in the series, you'd take command of a whole fleet. I a semi-open world (galaxy), you could decide in which system you'd want to operate. Depending on your choices and your level of success, you'd either drive your fleet into enem territory or ultimately make your last stand in a vital human system. Supplies and reinforcements that HQ makes available would partly depend on yur success and and partly on the importance of your current goals.

It would come with the regular mode where you command all units, an optional Ironman mode (no undoing of any action), and finally a simulation mode, in which you would rely on the success of your subordinates without being able to order every single unit. You would just order missions and see the simulated results, much like a manager mode in sports games.

Of course, the game would have to have a compelling storyline, a large variety of characters for your staff and flight crew, excellent voice actors, a great soundtrack, a high replay value, and I wouldn't have to wake up to see that a package like this is impossible to create unless the retail price had more digits than I'd like it to have.

This ? is unrelated to all of the above. Should a game like this ever be released, the penguin would be dressed for the premiere, though.

If I had the TRUE skills to make my dream game, it would be a dating sim with Dragon's Dogma's gameplay, openworld and overall mechanics (no, improved mechanics like AI, weather and AI), and I would put all my favorite anime characters in it. And seiyuu too as guest stars. Of course it would break a lot of copyrights, so I'd just keep the game for myself lol.

Edited by NaRayquaza

1 hour ago, NaRayquaza said:

If I had the TRUE skills to make my dream game, it would be a dating sim with Dragon's Dogma's gameplay, openworld and overall mechanics (no, improved mechanics like AI, weather and AI), and I would put all my favorite anime characters in it. And seiyuu too as guest stars. Of course it would break a lot of copyrights, so I'd just keep the game for myself lol.

Yeah, our little fantasies make people want to break a ton of copyrights. If copyright license didn't exist, I'd totally make a point-and-click adventure in the Artifex Mundi game(hidden object puzzles) in the Pokemon World involving helping Lillie find a cure for her mother. ^_^

• Like 1

On 11.8.2017 at 9:11 PM, ID-69 said:

Second game I would want to make is a multiplayer only 3PS. I love the multiplayer of Uncharted 2 and 3, Uncharted 4 is decent. The gunplay would be similar to that of Uncharted. The theme in the game would be darker and there would be blood and gore. 

Sounds a bit like Kane & Lynch to me. The online heists seemed interesting, they have SP campaigns though. Online heists seemed interesting and fun, too bad I had nobody to play it with so I sold both parts 1 & 2.

Id like a game where you play a spy embedded in a country and living in a suburban neighbourhood. You would have to get to know the town, and it would have normal routines and neighbours and relationships with you and your family, but you would need to go on spy missions while keeping up appearances so no one in tow(or your family) becomes suspicious.

missions would need to be planned so you could come up with reasonable excuses, and no one would suspect you.

I would make an open world ARPG set in modern times with some fantasy elements.

You would be able to explore real world cities and an alternate world.

Combat would be something like Dragon's Dogma, but you can switch between party members.

13 characters but only 3 slots in the party. Each character would have a different ranged weapon and melee weapon, as well as different powers.

And dual audio with all of my favorite voice actors :P