Just me or terribly boring?

Gr4de_04

So, i originally started this game 4 years ago on another ps3 when i wasn't a trophy hunter yet. Got back to it recently (since i never sold the game in those 4 years) and remembered how dull and repetitive the story was (basically either a race or a takedown every time). So i wanted to get at least the online trophies out of the way so it wouldn't become an unobtainable plat for me if they'd shut the servers down. But asides from the boring story line, the steering in this game is just so painful to do, and trying to drift usually ends up with coming to a complete stop or spinning out. The single player overworld also has Waaaaay too many challenges/dares/collectibles. This is all just my personal opinion though but id advise any trophy hunter from avoiding this game. What do you guys think?

imo i originally found the game eh, but after going back to get the online done and get close to plat, i found it to be very enjoyable and the story to be intriguing, although getting all the movie tokens to unlock the movie challenges  are a pain and car handling at times can be annoying but overrall i enjoy it :D 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Honestly i loved this game, the story was great, liked the wide selection of cars and that you were able to switch to every car you like, sure the online was a bit annoying, but nothing to major, imo this is the best racing game i’ve played so far. I even put it in my trophy cabinet.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 06/05/2022 at 5:41 PM, Afro_Gear said:

Having the multiplayer all done I recently started into the story. Love it. Looks beautiful on PS3, also rock solid 60 fps on a PS3 title is impressive. Story is entertaining and the random side quests are fine if you have something else to watch or listen to. 

Curious if anyone played Driver Parallel Lines? Haven't seen anyone bring it up. I never finished it when I was younger but remember the CG on OG Xbox was incredible and the time change from the 70's to 2000's was really cool.

Loved Parallel Lines on PS2. A very underrated game in my opinion, there wasnt many games I ever beat the entire story of as a kid but that was one of the few 

• Like 1

On 2022-08-07 at 7:33 PM, based_gigachad said:

Loved Parallel Lines on PS2. A very underrated game in my opinion, there wasnt many games I ever beat the entire story of as a kid but that was one of the few 

San Francisco and Parallel Lines are masterpieces. Both are my favorites from their respective generation of consoles

Edited by Leovizzz
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The driving reminds me of the original PS1 games. For me that's a good thing, but I can see how it would turn some people off. Then again, I'm one of those crazy people who also enjoyed the driving in the original Mafia, which makes this game look easy by comparison.

I never purchased SF or PL when they came out because Driver 3 soured me on the whole series. Looks like I missed out.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:41 AM, Afro_Gear said:

also rock solid 60 fps on a PS3 title is impressive

I wouldn't call it rock solid. I noticed screen tearing throughout most areas and many dips into the 50's.

As for whether it was boring or not, initially I enjoyed it, but after doing the bulk of the activities and dares, I slowly lost interest myself. It had its moments however, such as shifting into other vehicles and getting the passenger commentary and other little bits like the DeLorean 88mph to unlock the Driver 1 challenge. Story itself was fine though.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:58 AM, Afro_Gear said:

I dont know, seems pretty rock solid to me... 

I'm a bit skeptical about that Digital Foundry video to be honest. I'm thinking they may have had an unpatched version of the game or didn't show parts (especially later on) where the frame rate drops. Don't get me wrong though, I watch their videos all the time and for the most part it does stick around 60fps, but I did see screen tearing quite a bit because it couldn't hold its target of 60fps. That may, or may not, be very obvious to you when playing, as I have an eye for tearing and FPS dips. For example, this video (not mine):

I saw screen tearing without even trying to look for it within the first minute of gameplay (0:59) because it couldn't hold 60fps:

IjxxPlF.png

If you play the video from 0:59 whilst they're on the bridge, I counted almost 180 frames of screen tearing. If you have trouble seeing it, pause at 0:59 and step frame by frame using the   >   (greater than/full stop) key on your keyboard.

That said, there are many, many more scenes throughout the game like this, which is what I experienced when playing. The latter part of the game where there are large amounts of traffic show 50's more often. I digress though, I wouldn't call it rock solid.

Edited by Goldfire