Youtube is a cesspool of hate, censorship and bigotry

AJ_Radio

I have recently watched a few videos of various content creators mention their videos being de-monotized, how the new Youtube layout put in place two months ago is terrible, how it is drama central, etc etc etc.

As a Youtube user since early 2007, I feel Youtube has reached the point that it is long past it's prime. I recall a December 2006 TIME magazine cover stating "You", the viewer and content creator of Youtube, is the big focus. In the past I have subscribed to many different people, enjoyed the content they made and appreciated the hard work they put into their channel. Even a series consisting of just a simple webcam takes work, it has to be presentable for the audience.

Personally I look at Youtube as a big cesspool of hate and censorship. While I still watch Youtube walkthroughs, live streams and the occasional vlog, I no longer enjoy it as much as I used to. The format now, for lack of a better term, is stale. I haven't seen anything out of this website that has truly impressed me.

The 2016 Election Results were a shitstorm. Hundreds of Youtubers posting their thoughts of Trump winning the election, and that is quite honestly one of the worst days I've had the misfortune of seeing on Youtube. But politics aside, even entertainment venues seem to be heavily criticized and judged far too much.

A recent example is the 2016 film Ghostbusters. A big criticism on the movie, apart from it's female cast, is the fact that only the label Ghostbusters is shown. The movie developers didn't bother to give the movie a different name, it is not a sequel to the old 80s films everybody loves, the film insults long time fans. Many big Youtubers I once had respect for picked apart the film piece by piece, and while I most certainly agree it is a pile of crap, the extent in which many content creators took upon was overly sensitive, to say the least.

There was a time back in 2010 - 2011 where I felt compelled to start a Youtube channel and gain 500 - 5K subscribers, to see that there were people out there for the content I made. Due to lack of money and equipment that never came to pass. I still want to make a couple videos of me talking into a camera on various issues, but given the nature of Youtube's rules and treatment of small time content creators, that isn't going to be easy to do.

Youtube just feels like a platform for the big Youtubers now. I personally think they're no longer considered down to earth Youtubers, but rather corporate channels that major news outlets can trust and interact with. The Fine Bros, most famous for starting the "React" videos, have even gone as far as to flag and possibly take down videos others have made that take on a similar concept. This is turn limits competition, and therefore the Youtubers at the top continue to rake in the views, which equals money. I don't recall seeing any of this happen back in 2006 - 2009, when it was much easier to get your name out there because many others were in the same boat. I don't think people gave two shits how many subscribers you had, as long as they enjoyed the content they made that was all that mattered.

I have 17 channels I'm subscribed to, but in all honestly I only watch four or five of them on a regular basis. Many of the popular channels seem too cookie cutter and rather critical for me to really even bother watching their content. Youtube is a different beast now as opposed to what it was in 2007, and quite frankly I have grown to dislike many of the things Google has done to it over the years.

When you're the biggest video website ever in existence and you have no real competition, let alone websites that offer some sort of alternative, then you are basically free to do whatever the hell you want. I have grown to dislike Youtube but since it's the only real source to see videos you don't have much of a choice.

This is my humble opinion on Youtube. What do you guys think?

• Like 2

Just now, Blissey said:

In other news, the sky is blue. I pretty much only use YouTube to watch certain gaming things. Otherwise, I go to Twitch. It usually isn't hard to find what I want.

The sky's black at the moment possibly a very dark shade of blue, my sky changes colour though.

On topic, I always thought youtube was full of assholes myself included.

You ain't kiddin, Spaz. Though I admit, mine is one of the viewers side rather than the creators side.

Back in the day, it was pretty neat, I had my own channel, uploaded my own videos, somehow hit the copyright strikes one too many times despite clearly labeling them nonprofit, causing me to lose content and just completely give up on it. 

Then the last couple years happened; shit went down in the gaming community, and suddenly everybody had a channel, everybody had an opinion they thought was revolutionary or groundbreaking, and GOD HELP YOU if you disagreed with it. People went from shitting on Christianity and christians (which I ashamedly admit I was apart of) to shitting on anything, purely for the sake of being contrarian.

The best thing I could think to do to save myself the headaches are to just keep myself subscribed to content I was sure to enjoy, block all ads and comments, and disable recommendations.You still get the roaches in, but for the most part its all good in the hood.

Another thing I started doing (which I should've been doing from the start) was watch the content solely on the creators site, avoiding youtube entirely. Places like Channel Awesome, Phelous, Cinnemmasscre.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

The sky's black at the moment possibly a very dark shade of blue, my sky changes colour though.

On topic, I always thought youtube was full of assholes myself included.

You're an asshole on YouTube? Why would you want to be that?

The creators of YT did what any money grubbing, greedy ass human would when offered a trunk full of cash. Now a giant corp owns it. It's no longer about viewers or creators. Just like the greedy fucks who sold it, Google is all about the almighty dollar/yen/ruble, or whatever made up pice of paper/coin we put some stupid ass value on. God forbid anybody give a shit about art or expression. 

Humanity as a whole? The good of the many out-weighing the greed of the few? Fuck that noise, I want my cheddar motherfuckers. 

Ugh...humanity is so sad sometimes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blissey said:

In other news, the sky is blue. I pretty much only use YouTube to watch certain gaming things. Otherwise, I go to Twitch. It usually isn't hard to find what I want.

Yes you can do that. But I personally think most content goes unnoticed because it just so happened a small Youtuber posts it.

I can look up all the Pewdiepie videos and Fine Bros videos on there because everybody knows them. Doesn't mean they're good but I'm not hating the people personally either.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The creators of YT did what any money grubbing, greedy ass human would when offered a trunk full of cash. Now a giant corp owns it. It's no longer about viewers or creators. Just like the greedy fucks who sold it, Google is all about the almighty dollar/yen/ruble, or whatever made up pice of paper/coin we put some stupid ass value on. God forbid anybody give a shit about art or expression. 

Humanity as a whole? The good of the many out-weighing the greed of the few? Fuck that noise, I want my cheddar motherfuckers. 

That's the thing.

I personally think the low quality, grainy webcam videos people used to post on a daily basis back in 2005 - 2007 are best left in the past.

The problem is those who really put themselves out there to make a video expressing who they really are get little to no views. Unless it's somebody like Pewdiepie, because he's the #1 Youtuber and anything he does gets views and money.

It's also sad to see that a lot of videos I see targeting small Youtubers is how to make money. When you're getting less than 10,000 views on Youtube you're not making real money. You're making chump change, and that's not enough to make a living off of Youtube.

Youtube WAS about the viewers and creators. And the art and expression. Not anymore.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

I didn't think I needed to point out my post wasn't serious.

• Like 2

Welcome to the internet. Or welcome to life, better saying.

I've primarily used Youtube for music for many years (And still do occasionally) and for that, it still is an amazing free option even with all the ads and whatnot. Then occasionally I used to see some religion/local politics (i.e The atheist experience TV Show) channels as some form of entertainment and gathering knowledge and that interested faded a bit after a while. I used it seldomly for gaming videos/guides and still do in the same proportion, and in my opinion those pretty much evolved greatly from what they were 10 years ago.

YT comments are usually nasty but you can't expect much better if there is no real moderation in there, unlike reddit discussion which usually much better overlooked by community/subredits moderators, so I just skip those entirely.

And as far money goes, I think this was bound to happen as soon YT started to give cash for people with higher views, you're going to attract all kinds of people wanting some easy money. Can't say I'm surprised tbh.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

The 2016 Election Results were a shitstorm. Hundreds of Youtubers posting their thoughts of Trump winning the election, and that is quite honestly one of the worst days I've had the misfortune of seeing on Youtube. But politics aside, even entertainment venues seem to be heavily criticized and judged far too much.

If they were videos I don't know much about that. I do know through the Senate hearings we have found out that people in Russia and Russian Gov official s used a massive amount of fake social media accounts and ads to seed more division into our country. Targeting both Hillary and Trump voters to have 2nd thoughts about the candidate that they were voting for, causing confusion. Also one of their goal was to simply demonize the voters of each party to the point that a conversion where things can be solved or at least a middle ground agreed upon isn't even possible because they believe each others ideas to be asinine, past the point of any discussion. 

Russia definitely interfered in our election but not by physically changing any votes and planting a figure i.e. Trump. They did it by dividing the parties even further apart so bipartisan agreements are non-extant and all the oxygen in Congress is taken up by investigations that are wasting a ton of tax payer money that on;y for them to say they have not seen a shred of collusion. The money could be used on infrastructure or extra in the defense budget. Being in Alaska we are Ground-Zero for any type of preemptive strike against the US by North Korea. Back to Russia; By using identity politics against us they have emboldened people that use to stick to their caves and dark reaches of the Internet come out and speak with authority. All of this while Putin is posturing with North Korea and Iran. The 3 most dangerous counties to us (ATM) are getting way too cozy with each other while we (as a nation) are arguing about non-disclosure of Tax Returns among other issues that seem very minor considering Iran chants Death to America and the Kim family still holds a grudge for the Korean war. .

Edited by skateak

3 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

I didn't think I needed to point out my post wasn't serious.

There are plenty of YTers who literally act like douche nozzles on purpose to get more views. So, I'm not sure why you feel you could be an exception to that. You do realize tone and cadence don't translate through text at all, right?

Yeah Youtube is a shithole, but at this point its pretty much my version of TV, I dont really care how the YouTubers act, doesnt other me one bit, what bothers me is how YouTube fucks everyone over, creators and viewers alike, oh and the Kekistani people are oppressed, glory be to Sargon. xD 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Yes, I'm sure you would have turned down 1.65 billion for some website/application you made.

There's plenty of things wrong with YouTube because of it all, but to condemn people for turning down that kind of money is just hypocritical.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yes, I'm sure you would have turned down 1.65 billion for some website/application you made.

There's plenty of things wrong with YouTube because of it all, but to condemn people for turning down that kind of money is just hypocritical.

Hell no. I'd finally be able to retire and get that island off my amazon wishlist that's been sitting there forever. 

• Like 1

Honestly I think content creators are a bit entitled. Yeah fine you should be able to put patreon links in your description and stuff like that to ensure you make money regardless of Google's ads. But, you're using a 3rd party service for free to make your living. You should kind of see the problem in that when you bank on it entirely. This was a completely foreseeable problem if you gave it an ounce of thought. It's like relying on a friend to give you free boxes to run your shipping company and then that friend stops having boxes to give you and you shit on them for not giving you what you need to pay the bills. Well, maybe you should have planned better.

There's a reason grocery stores carry bargain brands, create their own brand, and try out new product brands. If the big companies (General Mills, Nestle, Pepsi, etc) have no competition, then it makes it hard for the stores to actually carry the products. Giving the food companies the ability to put the screws to every retailer, since the stores would have no other option. But they do, giving the store leverage in negotiations.

YouTubers have zero leverage. So YouTube just shits on them. Because... what are they going to go to vimeo? Please. Everyone knows that YouTube is shit, but they still make the videos about why YouTube is shit... ON YOUTUBE. They stay, year after year, continuously complaining about how it's garbage. Using YouTube as a platform to talk about how bad YouTube is. No one has the balls to just leave and go elsewhere. No matter how many videos they make whining about everything. They stay. They can't go anywhere else, or they would.

I think Google is full of it, but I think YouTubers are short sighted and the vast majority have no idea about business. Some of the larger ones may get special treatment since they earn Google quite a bit, but they aren't immune to running into issues either.

Most of YouTube is filled with garbage. There's some good stuff there, but it's few and far between. Almost not even worth the risk to venture out and look for someone new to follow.

9 hours ago, Phil said:

There are plenty of YTers who literally act like douche nozzles on purpose to get more views. So, I'm not sure why you feel you could be an exception to that. You do realize tone and cadence don't translate through text at all, right?

Considering my first sentence yes it should've been pretty obvious. You also answered your own question people would act like an asshole for money. You also pointed out you would do stuff for money. I do guides, I don't act like an asshole, if I called everyone else an asshole that would make me sound even more like an asshole. It was also self deprecation a form of humour.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Hell no. I'd finally be able to retire and get that island off my amazon wishlist that's been sitting there forever. 

So am I suppose to take this as serious? Am I suppose to believe you actually have an island on your wishlist on Amazon? Am I suppose to believe Amazon actually sells islands on their website?

I think I made my point. So thats two hypocritcal comments in one thread. Bravo *slow clap* (this last bit was suppose to convey sarcasm)

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

So am I suppose to take this as serious? Am I suppose to believe you actually have an island on your wishlist on Amazon? Am I suppose to believe Amazon actually sells islands on their website?

He is clearly talking about this island https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Rustic-Reclaimed-Kitchen-Island/dp/B00VXEOJC2/ref=sr_1_16?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1510203090&sr=1-16&keywords=island

• Like 2

I've been on YouTube for a while now making content and what not and my thoughts are that some youtubers are smart....and some are there simply for the views.  If you stay on the thin layer of ice which is money grubbing assholes you're gonna have a bad time and miss out of the actual creators doing something worth watching.  I have a select few that I watch but other than that I stay far away from the rest of YouTube...it's mostly cancer and TV personalities trying to be hip

The problem with youtube is the same as the problem over much of the internet: there is no filter. It's not in Youtube's best interest to provide such a filter, because ultimately, people have not shown a willingness to leave all of youtube because of some of the content posted there.

Of course there is poison all over that site. But if all you're going to do is ignore the poison, why would youtube filter it? 

10 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

YouTube is our society's version of the lead in the wine glasses of the Roman Civilization. Poisoning minds and making us dumber, sip by sip. 

But man - that lead is so sweet!

On 11/7/2017 at 9:58 PM, RedRodriguez87 said:

The best thing I could think to do to save myself the headaches are to just keep myself subscribed to content I was sure to enjoy, block all ads and comments, and disable recommendations.You still get the roaches in, but for the most part its all good in the hood.

Echo chambers are always best. You're never wrong!

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

Do what I do.  Don't subscribe to anything, just use YouTube for the occasional random gameplay video, dog video, or for listening to music.  Get vanilla non-opinion piece gaming news from a social media feed of relatively tame sources and forums like this one, never read comment sections on any video/news sites and when you do never ever ever trust anyones thoughts or opinions about anything without an incredible amount of skepticism.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Well, it's social media, which between that and Facebook has become the worst crap out there.  Who really cares about your selfies?  Who wants to see you bashing something over and over again, along with your immature opinions.

Like the other posters, there are a few Youtubers that I enjoy watching for games, how to fix something on my car, house etc.  

A bit depressing, really.

• Like 3