Platinum now stuck behind a pay wall??

Ripper

27 minutes ago, Salfordladd said:

The real question, I think, is not whether this was intentional, but whether a AAA developer like Bungie, realizing this problem, will care enough about trophies to prioritize this as something to fix. I really hope they do, and they fix it soon, because making the base game platinum unobtainable without paid DLC is total bullsh*t.

Totally agree. And yeah, should act as a warning to anyone thinking about buying this game who only has a casual interest in The game, as nobody wants to buy dlc to get a platinum...SURELY?!

well, the light level increases with every DLC coming out, now the raids/nightfalls must get a higher level too, the only wat to get a higher level now is if you buy the DLC, is the nightfall not locked duo new content in that nightfall? I'm sure you can play the nightfall, but not this one... and if you want to play it now, you must get that DLC

Edited by Yuichiro-Akuhei

6 minutes ago, delboy_rules said:

It was always in their update notes that it would be going up to 330 so cant see anything changing tbh.

Agreed, I don't see them changing anything in the current release, however I think they will have to change something about the vanilla D2 trophy list since I don't think Sony will like them locking the base-game Platinum (intentionally or otherwise) behind paid DLC. I suspect they'll nerf the requirements for the Prestige and Trials trophies or something like that.

5 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Are you guys saying that this can't happen with Destiny 2?

They have increased the power level for the Prestige Raid and Nightfall to 330, something you cannot achieve without owning the DLC. It's not something you can eventually get just by waiting for a non-DLC map or something like that.

3 minutes ago, dijonketchup13 said:

The first game did this too. If you didn't have the expansions you were locked out of a lot of things.

The first game locked content behind paid expansions, which is crappy for sure. It did not lock base-game trophies behind DLC content, probably because the original trophy list for Destiny didn't include any difficulty-specific trophies for the strikes or raid. By increasing the required power level for the Prestige Raid and Nightfall, you can no longer get the base-game trophies since they require you to complete either the Raid or Nightfall on Prestige difficulty. There's also a rumor going around that the Trials of the Nine playlist will be locked behind the DLC, meaning there's another trophy you won't be able to get without owning the DLC.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ripper1488 said:

I think this is really bad. Having paid for the main game, I SHOULD be able to get all the main game trophies when I want/ when I can. Why should they be allowed to manipulate the parameters to force people who don’t want the dlc to buy it in order to get platinum? I’m into trophies, love getting them, I doubt I’d ever get a dlc without them as would rather start a new title then waste my time. I know not everyone is like this, but I can’t be the only one surely? 

Didn't you need DLC in Eye of Judgment?

6 hours ago, Swotam said:

Artifacts came along with Rise of Iron. Not sure if that was needed for the D1 Platinum, but I know that if you didn't have ROI you basically couldn't do much of anything in the game because almost everything, even content that came before that, required ROI to access. This is due to the way they deal with their playlists, so as soon as they add content you don't own you can't access any of the playlists. If playlists are the only way to access the content, you are blocked from accessing that content.

Artifacts were introduced in The Taken King. Unfortunately, they counted as an armor piece where you needed to equip a Legendary for the :silver: Suited for War trophy.

I can't believe Bungie did this again. Locking a Platinum Trophy behind DLC is asinine, they did in Destiny 1 and they're doing it again in Destiny 2.

5 hours ago, dijonketchup13 said:

The first game did this too. If you didn't have the expansions you were locked out of a lot of things. Presumably it's to make matchmaking easier so that they don't have to check DLC owners against people who don't have it. Kinda crappy but I can see why they'd do it.

Yes and no. Yes there was some stuff you were locked out of, but single-activity content that was a part of the vanilla game (like the first raid) could still be played as they were.

All of this said, I don't think this was fully intentional. In trying to make all endgame content relevant for those who continue to power up, the non-expansion issues were not considered. I don't say this to diminish the issue (because it is a problem), however there can be an easy fix for this. Bungie just needs to offer a legacy version, at 270/300 power, which can only be played if all members in the fireteam are Level 20 or under. I hope Bungie does this.

Edited by Dead-Sync
  • Like 2

I think this is against SONY trophy rules. Just got to make it known to the public and let it go viral! Bungie may need to correct this. Tweet it like the the end of the world! Let them burn! Yeeeehaw!

Ya know I understand where everyone is coming from. But remember at least it's free to play anytime after buying the game. 

FFXIV is a monthly/yearly subscription and there are grindy trophies that will take you a long time, and end up spending far far more money. On the flip side FFXIV has a lot more content because of that cash flow though. 

It's just to keep things in perspective. A $20 dlc is very cheap in comparison. 

• Like 1

While it is definitely not very cool of them to do this, I doubt it's against any actual rules Sony has.in place based on previous examples.

I mean there are plenty of games out there that have unobtainable trophies for whatever reason. Some games had unobtainable trophies from the beginning. Some games had them after patches or multiplayer shutdowns.

Technically the trophies in question are now unobtainable for Destiny 2 owners. The only real difference is you can still obtain them if you purchase the expansion pass.

On another note, I really doubt this is to get people to purchase the season pass. I have a feeling it's just an oversight nobody at Bungo even considered.

I can't believe people still defend Bungie/Destiny.

Haven't went back in almost 3 years and I'm glad. We're seeing the demise of creativity.

5 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

While it is definitely not very cool of them to do this, I doubt it's against any actual rules Sony has.in place based on previous examples.

I mean there are plenty of games out there that have unobtainable trophies for whatever reason. Some games had unobtainable trophies from the beginning. Some games had them after patches or multiplayer shutdowns.

Technically the trophies in question are now unobtainable for Destiny 2 owners. The only real difference is you can still obtain them if you purchase the expansion pass.

On another note, I really doubt this is to get people to purchase the season pass. I have a feeling it's just an oversight nobody at Bungo even considered.

Maybe not against any rules, but Life is Strange's prequel got destroyed for making the platinum unobtainable for those that didn't buy the deluxe edition. They later fixed it, but they got a lot of grief over it.

I feel like Bungie won't care about this, so... be sure to buy lots of silver to support them and show them just how little you care about getting jerked around.

• Like 1

Bungie is following the train that EA and a few other companies started where they decide to screw over the people who have given them the most support. The players. 

Locking this behind a paywall is nothing surprising to me. But I very much feel this is what we’re going to see out of more AAA developers in the future. 

It’s bad enough these big companies mostly follow a cookie cutter formula to appease their fanbases because they don’t want to try anything new or think outside the box. Innovation is practically dead within AAA games, so they throw in DLC and updates that require the player to spend money to move forward. That’s essentially what this is.

People gave a big stink towards microtransactions in a Middle Earth: Shadow of War. Don’t blame them for doing so, but they didn’t affect the game all that much. 

Need for Speed: Payback is another example of a game that relies on luck and microtransactions to get the parts you need for your cars. A sad pathetic attempt of bringing in new content to keep the fans playing the long time racing franchise. 

I honestly don’t think these companies have any sort of discipline towards making a quality product that doesn’t rely on some sort of bullshit paywall or microtransaction. Bloodborne didn’t need those. The Witcher 3 didn’t need those. 

I don’t mind grinding in a multiplayer game as long as it’s feasible and serves a purpose. These tactics are just a sad example of the culture we live in. Where corporate control dictates how we’re going to get access to certain content. In this situation it’s the players being required to buy DLC in order to advance and earn a trophy. 

Complete bullshit.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

I really don't appreciate that, and was completely uncalled for. 

If you don't enjoy the game, don't play it, and certainly don't insult others that were simply pointing out that it's not as bad as it seems. 

You have to keep in mind 99% of the people playing Destiny do not care for trophies. 

Where do I insult someone?

"You have to keep in mind 99% of the people playing Destiny do not care for trophies"

My problem is not the fact that the trophy is currently not obtainable, its your statement: just pay its only 20 dollar it could be worse.

Thats the reason why we have to suffer with microtransactions and loot boxes now, because too many people think like that

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 2

Damn it Bungie. I really wanted to buy the expansion pass because I wanted more content in this game, but now they did this. I want more content, but at the same time I don't want to support their practices by handing them my money still, basically telling them "yeah it's okay if you screw with the players, I'll still buy your stuff at the end of the day". I don't know if this whole "pay to win, pay to not get locked out of stuff you should already have" is a dangerous trend beginning to evolve in the gaming industry or if it's just really being exposed for the first time since Battlefront II royally screwed up. Either way, change isn't gonna happen if people still fork their cash over, that's the bottom line. If you crap on people but they still reward you, you'll continue to crap on them.

Hopefully this gets resolved. I understand maybe locking a prestige nightfall if it's just a nightfall that happens to be an Osiris DLC strike, but if the case really is that prestige is locked no matter the strike, this needs to be handled. You can't just give the right to play prestige nightfalls and then take it all away unless they pay you more money to get to do the exact same activity. We were given prestige nightfalls included with the $60 (or however much you paid) in the base game for the base game strikes - at least allow the exact same content to be accessed post-DLC launch. Lock off everything specifically DLC related for those who don't have it - after all, it is part of an expansion of the game that you haven't paid for, you shouldn't have access to those specific parts only. To completely lock off an entire mode is not cool at all.

I also believe I saw that Trials is locked off if you don't have DLC now? Not 100% confident if this is the case, so don't quote me on it. But if it is.... what the hell Bungie

tl;dr: quit taking away parts of the base game because we didn't buy your expansion. At least let us keep the exact same base game content we had pre-DLC launch.

Edited by VeritableLemon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

Where do I insult someone?

"You have to keep in mind 99% of the people playing Destiny do not care for trophies"

My problem is not the fact that the trophy is currently not obtainable, its your statement: just pay its only 20 dollar it could be worse.

Thats the reason why we have to suffer with microtransactions and loot boxes now, because too many people think like that

"Where do I insult someone?"

I have no words :facepalm:(posts were deleted for everyone else wondering) 

I don't think we have to suffer with loot boxes because of expansions..... 

An expansion of a game, and micro transactions are a bit different in context in destiny. 

-An expansion in destiny you get more story, gameplay, activities, raids, experiences. 

-Microtransactions you get an emote, or some cosmetic thing that does not enhance the gameplay. 

If you would like to know more on my stance against microtransactions in games like battlefront, there's a thread where I talk about my position. 

But yes my point is it could be worse or at least very different when it comes to expansions. 

As I said it could be a monthly/yearly subscription(with paying for expansions on top, like in FFXIV, my original point, and that's been going on for far longer.)

And besides unlike other games it's an online game, those servers do cost money, so I for one am happy there's no subscription + expansions. 

13 minutes ago, VeritableLemon said:

Hopefully this gets resolved. I understand maybe locking a prestige nightfall if it's just a nightfall that happens to be an Osiris DLC strike, but if the case really is that prestige is locked no matter the strike, this needs to be handled. You can't just give the right to play prestige nightfalls and then take it all away unless they pay you more money to get to do the exact same activity. We were given prestige nightfalls included with the $60 (or however much you paid) in the base game for the base game strikes - at least allow the exact same content to be accessed post-DLC launch. Lock off everything specifically DLC related for those who don't have it - after all, it is part of an expansion of the game that you haven't paid for, you shouldn't have access to those specific parts only. To completely lock off an entire mode is not cool at all.

^^^^This, I agree with this

Edited by Dav9834

Is this really that big of deal the same thing happened when most if not all of orginal Destiny's expansions got released and I didn't see anyone complaining then.  Granted at the time it didn't lock you out of any trophies until the TTK got released which I think locked you out of the Suited for War trophy if you didn't get the expansion.  So I wouldn't consider this to be unprecedented. 

7 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

"Where do I insult someone?"

I have no words :facepalm:(posts were deleted for everyone else wondering) 

I don't think we have to suffer with loot boxes because of expansions..... 

An expansion of a game, and micro transactions are a bit different in context in destiny. 

-An expansion in destiny you get more story, gameplay, activities, raids, experiences. 

-Microtransactions you get an emote, or some cosmetic thing that does not enhance the gameplay. 

If you would like to know more on my stance against microtransactions in games like battlefront, there's a thread where I talk about my position. 

But yes my point is it could be worse or at least very different when it comes to expansions. 

As I said it could be a monthly/yearly subscription(with paying for expansions on top, like in FFXIV, my original point, and that's been going on for far longer.)

And besides unlike other games it's an online game, those servers do cost money, so I for one am happy there's no subscription + expansions. 

^^^^This, I agree with this

where is the insult?

Come on tell me

" Cant believe a "gamer" can say such things, dont want to  believe that "  -> its my opinion not an insult, imo its nothing a gamer would say

or

"guys like you ( with such statements) are poison for the gaming future" -> its fact that things get worse if you easily swallow everything they serve

Which is it?

It wasnt my intention to insult someone, but there is a difference between insult and criticism! :facepalm:

The insult is just your interpretation, simple as that.

"I don't think we have to suffer with loot boxes because of expansions"

I agree and i never said that. I said we have to suffer loot boxes because there are too many guys defending/supporting every bs the publisher serve.

Edited by GoDBoss173

It might be the same thing they did before but it's still absolutely ridiculous to lock content behind a pay-wall only 3 months after release. Not everyone has tons of time to play the game and might not have gotten around to doing that stuff yet. And now they won't be able to, unless they pay up. Even worse: those stupid MTX that got added with the expansion ARE usable by people without the expansion. When it's money for Bungie they can make it work, but adding another difficulty for the expansion instead of locking away the old one so people actually keep what they paid  60+ for is not possbile? Please. 

Also, this is against Sony's trophy rules. I've heard that if you have the digital game, do not have those trophies and did not buy the DLC you can ask Sony for a refund. Shame I have a physical disc... Bungie does not deserve my money, it's going to be sharing that privilege with EA.

30 minutes ago, Adilya said:

Even worse: those stupid MTX that got added with the expansion ARE usable by people without the expansion. When it's money for Bungie they can make it work, but adding another difficulty for the expansion instead of locking away the old one so people actually keep what they paid  60+ for is not possbile? Please.

I think everyone, including the various Destiny fans I see posting in various threads need to understand that microtransactions are the future of Destiny. They are a core part of Bungie's vision for the game, and you can be pretty confident that whatever they do in the game going forward is going to be designed around pushing Eververse and their microtransaction model. They are no longer about making a great game for the sake of making a great game, they are all about how to use their mediocre game as a means to push microtransaction purchases over the long term. The "10 year plan" for Destiny no doubt included this from the planning stages, it just took a while for them to become front and center. They released the initial game without any microtransactions, got people hooked on the game, then added the ability to purchase individual items via microtransactions, followed a few months later by the introduction of loot boxes with RNG-based rewards. Move forward to Destiny 2 and you see the continuation of that strategy. Individual item purchases have been phased out and replaced by a "loot box only" model with Bright Engrams. More and more content is being moved behind the microtransaction model, and in the background Bungie is hiring more staff to further build out that model and bring in more customers by "create(ing) sustainable player progression and chase through Destiny 2’s Bright Engram". Basically, microtransactions aren't just going to be part of the game going forward, they will be integral to the game.

To be clear: Destiny is being designed by Bungie as a means to get you to spend money on microtransactions. Yes, it may be a fun game, yes it may have good shooting, and yes it may have been made by (some of) the people who made Halo so many years ago. Make no mistake though, it's all about extracting maximum profit from you for as long as possible. That's it.

• Like 1