Platinum now stuck behind a pay wall??

Ripper

I’m missing 2 trophies to platinum the game. I’m yet to complete the Leviathan or complete a prestige raid or nightfall but having just tried to play the prestige nightfall (Inverted Spire), it says I can’t without the Osiris dlc. WTF?!?! 

I dont want to buy a dlc without trophies as the game has run its course for me, but surely this isn’t right? I wondered if I’d have to grind my levels up to the new level cap to have a shot at ‘Prestige’ trophy, but it would still surely lock me out due to the message, “requires Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris” I’m getting. AHHHHHHH!!!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ripper1488 said:

I’m missing 2 trophies to platinum the game. I’m yet to complete the Leviathan or complete a prestige raid or nightfall but having just tried to play the prestige nightfall (Inverted Spire), it says I can’t without the Osiris dlc. WTF?!?! 

I dont want to buy a dlc without trophies as the game has run its course for me, but surely this isn’t right? I wondered if I’d have to grind my levels up to the new level cap to have a shot at ‘Prestige’ trophy, but it would still surely lock me out due to the message, “requires Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris” I’m getting. AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Tweet Bungie on @Bungie at let them know or contact them through their website  https://www.bungie.net/en/pub/contactus it is most likely a glitch 

Edited by DarkSoleride

Curse of Osiris didn't raise the light level did it?  Nightfall Prestige was difficult even before hand.  A group of 3 all over 300 light still took several weeks before we found one that would be done without too much difficulty.  The problem is that enemies level to you, so as you level up everything else gets stronger.  It would almost make prestige easier if your whole group was a lower light level.  That always bothered me about the game, I work hard to hit 305 light, only to find out that it makes no difference ...

EDIT: I only just read to the end of your post.  I agree with darkSoleride that it is likely a glitch.  Unless, did Osiris add some strikes?  If so, you may just have to wait until prestige is on one of the original strikes?

Edited by Sir_Bee

I wonder if this breaks Sony's trophy rules.

Have any other games shipped with a platinum you were literally, intentionally blocked from obtaining until you bought pay DLC? I wonder if they might make Bungie fix this because it breaks a PSN standard somewhere.

14 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

If it's like the first game, you have to wait for the Nightfall to be a non-DLC Strike. You aren't blocked, you're delayed.

But "The Leviathan" raid Prestige is stuck on 330 and needs the DLC.

The Trails are as well locked.

Edited by Doomsdayman

It’s not locked to dlc Strike. The nightfall is the original Inverted Spire and this is impossible to play on prestige difficulty without the dlc.

so it is a case of being locked, unless you purchase the Osiris DLC.

Like RDHIGHT said, I’d also be interested to know if this breaches Sony's rules. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DarkSoleride said:

it is most likely a glitch 

2 hours ago, Caesar Clown said:

If it's like the first game, you have to wait for the Nightfall to be a non-DLC Strike. You aren't blocked, you're delayed.

Not a glitch, and not because of the strike. Power (light) level requirement was raised for Prestige activities to 330. You can't hit 330 power (or anything close to it) without owning the DLC.

2 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

Curse of Osiris didn't raise the light level did it?

It did, new power level cap is 330 (325+5 from mods). Prestige activities now require 330 power, while the highest you can get in the base game with mods is 305 power. Even if you could start a Prestige Nightfall at 305 power you would have an extremely difficult time completing the content since you'd be 25 levels below the recommended level and damage scaling would negatively impact you.

2 minutes ago, Gwendly said:

Didn’t the first game do the same with the Taken King expansion no?

You couldn’t get the equip all exotic/legendary trophy because you couldn’t unlock the ability to use artifacts unless you have TTK 

Artifacts came along with Rise of Iron. Not sure if that was needed for the D1 Platinum, but I know that if you didn't have ROI you basically couldn't do much of anything in the game because almost everything, even content that came before that, required ROI to access. This is due to the way they deal with their playlists, so as soon as they add content you don't own you can't access any of the playlists. If playlists are the only way to access the content, you are blocked from accessing that content.

I think this boils down to how leveling is handled with non-Osiris owners.

If you don't own Osiris and are at Level 20, is that still the level cap for you? Or are you able to Level up to 25 even without the expansion.

This is the crux, because being able to get higher power gear is contingent on your character level. Gear with a Level 20 requirement is capped at 300 (305 with a mod). Meaning if you can't Level up to 25, you can't level up to 330, meaning Prestige content is not viable post-expansions.

So I'd be curious to hear from someone without Osiris what level cap is for them. If you can hit 25, then you should be able to get to 330 (335) and compete in Prestige activities, including the Nightfall, but only when the NF is a non-expansion strike.

Edited by Dead-Sync
  • Like 1

Damn, there's a lot of anger in this thread...I think there are a lot of legitimate reasons to be frustrated with Bungie right now for the failure of their plans for this game, but this feels like a simple oversight to me, not something done intentionally, or something that constitutes an unforgivable act of negligence. Raising the power requirement for the game's most difficult content in line with DLC level increases makes sense to me; making a trophy unobtainable as a side-effect obviously doesn't. But it doesn't read to me as sinister. I don't think it really benefits Bungie at all to lock base-game owners out of a trophy, and so I doubt this is a calculated move to force trophy hunters to buy the DLC--it's been proven to us time and time again that developers, especially AAA developers, don't really think about trophies much, and the platinum was earnable without the DLC up until a few days ago.  I think we can all be pretty certain that trophies are WAY down at the bottom of Bungie's priority list for the game right now. So yeah, this reads to me as an accidental oversight.

The real question, I think, is not whether this was intentional, but whether a AAA developer like Bungie, realizing this problem, will care enough about trophies to prioritize this as something to fix. I really hope they do, and they fix it soon, because making the base game platinum unobtainable without paid DLC is total bullsh*t.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dead-Sync said:

If you don't own Osiris and are at Level 20, is that still the level cap for you? Or are you able to Level up to 25 even without the expansion.

Leveling up to 25 requires the expansion, as does the ability to get to 330 power. If you don't have the expansion you cannot access anything released with that expansion, including new character level, new power level, new gear / weapons, content, etc. If playlists you previously had access to now contain DLC content, you are locked out of those playlists.

This is basically the same thing Bungie did in Destiny 1 whenever a DLC was released, however Destiny 1 didn't have any base-game trophies tied to a specific difficulty level of content. The difference this time around is that they increased the required power level for content that was included in the base game while having trophies released in the Destiny 2 base game needing players to complete this content at the highest difficulty level, apparently locking out non-DLC owners in the process.

1 minute ago, Salfordladd said:

The real question, I think, is not whether this was intentional, but whether a AAA developer like Bungie, realizing this problem, will care enough about trophies to prioritize this as something to fix. I really hope they do, and they fix it soon, because making the base game platinum unobtainable without paid DLC is total bullsh*t.

Personally I expect it's just something they didn't bother thinking about as opposed to being an intentional thing. I seriously doubt that a bunch of people at Bungie sat around a table trying to figure out how to screw over trophy hunters, they probably didn't even think about it. Of course, in order to fix it they will probably have to nerf the original trophy list since I don't see them lowering the required power level for the Prestige Raid/Nightfall back to 300/305.

I think this is really bad. Having paid for the main game, I SHOULD be able to get all the main game trophies when I want/ when I can. Why should they be allowed to manipulate the parameters to force people who don’t want the dlc to buy it in order to get platinum? I’m into trophies, love getting them, I doubt I’d ever get a dlc without them as would rather start a new title then waste my time. I know not everyone is like this, but I can’t be the only one surely? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Swotam said:

Personally I expect it's just something they didn't bother thinking about as opposed to being an intentional thing. 

It was always in their update notes that it would be going up to 330 so cant see anything changing tbh.  Just let it be a warning to anybody who hasn't bought/played the game yet.  I have heard reports though that it locks you out of everything, you can't even play crucible without the dlc, but don't know whether its true or not.  I got sucked in and bought the dlc.

Edited by delboy_rules
additions

This sounds pretty crazy. I remember back in the day that Rock Band 2 required you to do an online challenge, and often, that online challenge required DLC. However, a fraction of the time, the online challenge would be based on an in-game track.

Are you guys saying that this can't happen with Destiny 2?

• Like 1