A few tips for Veteran

DrBloodmoney

On 12/14/2017 at 3:36 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Hello folks.

I absolutely love Nex Machina, but found completing Veteran mode very difficult.

Finally got it done last night, and thought I would share a few of the less-obvious tips to help others with what can feel, at first, a barely achievable trophy.

1. If you die (fully, i.e. use a continue) on any boss after the first 2, just restart.

Without both triple dash and dash explosion, these bosses are nigh-on impossible.

2. If you finish any boss with less than 2 lives, deliberately die (fully, i.e. use a continue) on the first screen of the next world.

This will give you a full world to regain all the power-ups and extra lives to give you the best possible chance at the next boss.

3. The best secondary weapons for each section  are:

World 1: Laser

Boss 1: Laser

World 2: Laser

Boss 2: Laser

World 3: Laser

Boss 3: Rocket Launcher

World 4: Laser

Boss 4: Rocket Launcher

World 5: Laser / Rocket Launcher

Boss 5: Rocket Launcher

World 6: Rocket Launcher

Boss 6: Rocket Launcher

4. The World 5 boss (Architect) is by far the hardest section in the game.

If you dont have Rocket Launcher, Triple Dash and Dash Explosion, don’t even bother.

(See @Wellzis very good tips in the other thread) - I’d also add to these tips: make sure you remember that the Dash Explosion is very good for taking out the mini-gun boss parts - rocket them once, dash towards them with explosion, then rocket again as you run backwards - that will kill them)

5. Don’t worry about score on your Veteran run - just get through it.

6. Remember that Dash explosion destroys enemy bullets / skulls. For bullet hell sections, try to get into a rhythm of dash forwards-run backwards-dash forwards-run backwards. The dash explosion will create a space for you to run in.

7. Dash Explosion is your best friend in the worlds too. The best way to deal with enemies that split apart when shot (like the towers and quads of spinners) is Dash Explosion, as this kills all incarnations in one go, and allows you to keep shooting other enemies.

8.  Fire your rocket launcher at Bosses as often as it recharges. If they are off screen, just rocket in that direction. Its surprising how often you will hit them anyways.

9. Taking out enemies fast is often better than being slow and careful. Offence really is the best Defence.

10. For practice, play world 5 on Veteran at least enough that you can reliably kill the Architect before you start doing full runs. It is useless to be perfect at the rest of the game if you can’t get past that fucker anyway.

11. Don’t practice on a lower difficulty. The pattern are different, and it will hurt you rather than help.

12. Learn where the extra lives are in each world (especially world 3 and beyond.) You need to be able to regain 5 lives before each boss.

13. Don’t lose hope! I did it, and I’m not at all good at this type of game. If I can, so can you!

i'm about to start this game soon.  Noticed you playing matterfall as well.  How is it in comparison same, easier, more difficult?  I'm going for all the housemarque plats

Pretty good info. If I ever get around to Nex Machina I'll use your tips as help for beating Veteran.

Housemarque games are generally difficult on their own anyway. I still think beating Commando Mode solo in Resogun is the most difficult task I've tried to do, hell Super Meat Boy felt a little more relaxing in comparison. Still can't do Commando Mode, even getting some of the other trophies are a big pain in the ass.

Nex Machina may be harder, but I'll see.

6 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

i'm about to start this game soon.  Noticed you playing matterfall as well.  How is it in comparison same, easier, more difficult?  I'm going for all the housemarque plats

Well, I haven’t platted Matterfall yet, but so far I think the difference is that Nex Machina is easier to pick up mechanically, but harder to finish at the higher difficulties.

Matterfall is harder to get to grips with early on, (and the bosses are more difficult at low levels) but once you have got the flow of the game, and understand the control scheme well enough to get into a rhythm, it is not quite as unforgiving as Nex Machina.

Having said that, I only just started Master difficulty, which is one hit kill to the player, so that may make Matterfall harder to plat overall. I’ll report back once I’ve got it!

I disagree with @Wellzis, I think Matterfall is very good. I found it a little clunky at first (particularly coming straight off Nex Machina), but now that the control scheme is second nature to me (took a couple days) it feels great to zip through the levels. It reminds me of a kind of cross between old Bionic Commando and new Strider.

I think in the future I can imagine coming back to Matterfall again and again, whereas I don’t feel like Nex Machina, as much as I liked it, will have any return value.

Personally, if dlc were to be released for one of them, I’d be happier if it was Matterfall. (Though it sounds like it’ll be neither, based on low sales :( )

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, I haven’t platted Matterfall yet, but so far I think the difference is that Nex Machina is easier to pick up mechanically, but harder to finish at the higher difficulties.

Matterfall is harder to get to grips with early on, (and the bosses are more difficult at low levels) but once you have got the flow of the game, and understand the control scheme well enough to get into a rhythm, it is not quite as unforgiving as Nex Machina.

Having said that, I only just started Master difficulty, which is one hit kill to the player, so that may make Matterfall harder to plat overall. I’ll report back once I’ve got it!

I disagree with @Wellzis, I think Matterfall is very good. I found it a little clunky at first (particularly coming straight off Nex Machina), but now that the control scheme is second nature to me (took a couple days) it feels great to zip through the levels. It reminds me of a kind of cross between old Bionic Commando and new Strider.

I think in the future I can imagine coming back to Matterfall again and again, whereas I don’t feel like Nex Machina, as much as I liked it, will have any return value.

Personally, if dlc were to be released for one of them, I’d be happier if it was Matterfall. (Though it sounds like it’ll be neither, based on low sales :( )

thanks for the response.  I agree since sales of both games were so low I doubt they will release DLC.  Probably a good thing from a 100% perspective.  

Really, @DrBloodmoney!? That's interesting! I'm pretty passionate about how much I don't like Matterfall! lol
But of course, I respect you opinion.

@steel6burgh, would you care to tell us what you think if/when you buy the game? I'm curious if I'm on the minority.

Anyway, have a good week, guys!

Edited by Wellzis
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 6:07 PM, Wellzis said:

Really, @DrBloodmoney!? That's interesting! I'm pretty passionate about how much I don't like Matterfall! lol
But of course, I respect you opinion.

@steel6burgh, would you care to tell us what you think if/when you buy the game? I'm curious if I'm on the minority.

Anyway, have a good week, guys!

matter fall is last.  right now i'm trying to finish up Alienation which is a boring, repetitive grind.  After that I will start Nex Machina and if I'm able to complete that on to matterfall.  I will let you know my opinion though if i make it that far.  I know several people that have played all three Resogun, nex machina, and matterfall that claim matterfall is their least favorite.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand the last boss (6th world) attack even after watching videos. He always hits me.  what am I missing?  The part where he puts the laster around me is where I'm lost.  I keep making it to that point for my 1cc run and he destroys me.  I'm sure its an easy explanation but I'm not seeing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Best tip for veteran is definitely playing in coop. absolute walk in the park compared to beating it alone. we did beat this mode after practicing the last two bosses for 15-20min in the first attempt with only loosing two continues.

So do yourself a favor and find someone who is a little skilled in this type of game and play it in local coop!! 

Edited by OBSTINATIO

• 1 year later...
On 11-3-2018 at 0:26 AM, OBSTINATIO said:

Best tip for veteran is definitely playing in coop. absolute walk in the park compared to beating it alone. we did beat this mode after practicing the last two bosses for 15-20min in the first attempt with only loosing two continues.

So do yourself a favor and find someone who is a little skilled in this type of game and play it in local coop!! 

If you're ever in Belgium, come and see me because all my friends are lousy at these types of games, lol.

@DrBloodmoney I played up until The Architect without even dying once but he completely fucked me over. I tried using my 10 continues (and thus, without power-ups) but he just kept beating the shit out of me. Took me half an hour to get there, don't think I'll bother again soon. Thing is, it's hard to practice against him by choosing level select because I never have all the power-ups I need to fight him by that point.

• 1 month later...

Great tips all around guys!

After nearly two weeks straight trying Arcade on Veteran I was seriously about to give up. It was ruining my brain. Couldn't have felt more discouraged. 

Today I got that son of a bitch haha. My strategy was rocket launcher the whole way except for smart bomb on Architect. 

I think the MOST IMPORTANT TIP here is to deliberately die on the next level if you have less than 3 lives, as well as making damn sure you have all 5 lives when facing Architect and Supreme AI.

Now just 49 feats to grind out, but at least now I can relax for once

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

What a stupid trophy, might As well make it, get through veteran without continuing cuz if you lose your powerups, there's no point trying to carry on. Also which imbecile decided you can't save between world's.

I hate having to play through thr entire thing just to get to architect and have things go bad instantly.

• 2 months later...

Just got done with Veteran, took about a day's worth of playing to beat it. Nothing more to it than using the rocket launcher primarily and smartbomb for Architect and getting good at the game. I've done some bullshit trophies but no trophy or challenge in this game seemed unfair to me. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finished it last night in local co-op and seriously had a blast. It comes down to getting to the bosses as powered up as you can. We ended up doing it 1CC since getting all upgrades for two players in a single world could be fairly tricky, so killing yourself at the start of a world for more lives isn't really worth it. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Here is my Solo strategy for the Architect boss:

(rocket launcher all the way fyi)

1st phase: Only kill the left turret and then focus on damaging the boss until the left sentry respawns. The right turret with the laser can easily be dodged in this phase

2nd phase: Firstly focus on the left turret. Then kill the right turret immediately after. Damage the boss until the left turret respawns. Then kill the left turret a second time. At this point it is not worth to kill the right turret, just focus on the boss and spam the rocket launcher. The left turret will most likely respawn a third time, but dont waste a single second on it and just deal maximum damage to the boss.

3rd phase: I like positioning in the top right corner at first. From there you can easily destroy the right turret and the right wall protects you very well from the skulls. Play it safe and strafe out of cover for rocket launcher hits on the boss. After a while another turret will spawn, which firest a laser from above. Wait until the last second before it shoots and then reposition to the middle of the screen. This is the very best place to dodge the skulls. Do not dash when you reach the middle and just strafe walk to evade the skulls while spamming the rocket launcher. When the laser start to danger your position again, switch back to the right or left corner. I panicked towards the end and really messed up final moments, but going back to the right corner after the first death in the middle would have been the best option

Here is my run for visual reference: 

Edited by Ghost-TeamX
  • Like 2

Thanks for that, @Ghost-TeamX, I'll definitely try your strategy the next time I do a Veteran run. The Smartbomb method isn't working out too well for me, although that's probably because I haven't practiced sufficiently. Of course, just reaching The Architect at all is hard enough!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so pleased right now. Decided to try a couple of Veteran runs this morning—the first one predictably failed at The Architect, but my second playthrough went so smoothly I didn't even use a continue! Architect only took two lives, and Supreme AI didn't manage to hit me once. Nearly manged to destroy Nex Machina herself with dash explosion (she had a sliver of life left when I died).

I kept the Smartbomb for most of the run (provides tons of protection), and used these specials on bosses:

Beamtron - Rocket Launcher

Yeti Kong - Laser

Helltron - Rocket Launcher

Enforcer Prime - Rocket Launcher

Architect - Smartbomb

Supreme AI - Rocket Launcher

It's really important to practice the last three levels on single world mode, since they're the most challenging by far. Very glad to have this platinum; easily my favorite Housemarque title!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Architect is a serious bitch. Already ruined one of my attempts on Veteran difficulty. You need to have proper skills and lots of patience to beat him.

Always focus on the guns attached to him. Without Triple Dash and Dash Explosion you might as well give up and start over. Very easy to fuck up an entire run to The Architect.

All of the other bosses are easily doable with a little practice. Veteran is basically this games platinum breaker, with The Architect I'm sure forcing many people to give up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am almost done with the game, only the veteran challenge left. I almost made it yesterday but I am pretty keen I gonna get it done soon.

I want to add a few tips that might be helpful to others as well. 

First thing: This might sound simple but ( at least for me ) it was a big help. Change the appearance of your character! I changed the projectile color to white and the gear and helmet as well. This game can get pretty tough and crowded in times and the most important thing is not to loose the overview. By changing to a brighter color you don't get confused, when you are in the middle of a horde of enemies. 

Try it out, maybe it helps you as well. You can change the appearance under online challenges. You need to buy them with the currency you earn by getting medals.

Second thing: The roadmap mentions to play on experienced for the -10+9*8-7*6+5*4+3^2+1 = 50 ( 50x human combo ) trophy. I can't recommend to do this. My combo always broke since the timer ran out extremely fast. If you do it on rookie you have plenty of time to build up your combo meter. Made it first try, it's super easy. The roadmap is really good, but there is really no need to give yourself a hard time here. 

Finally: This has been mentioned a lot throughout the different threads but I want to point it out again, the rocket launcher is probably the most important thing to stand a chance due to the extrem power and short cooldown. I tried to focus ONLY on this weapon to get familiar with the gameplay and by sticking to this weapon only I was able to improve my runs more and more. So if you ask me, only use this weapon from the beginning and stick to it. 

Good luck, guys. This is probably the best bullet hell game I played in my entire life. 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I managed to get the platinum last month and I can't point out enough how perfect this game is. I just want to share my veteran run with you. I actually followed @Ghost-TeamX 's tactic on the architect and again thank you for your video it really helped me a lot. 

Maybe my video helps future platinum hunters, since you will see that it's manageable even with making mistakes. It's by far not a perfect and flawless run, but in the end it worked out pretty fine. I always prefer videos that are not 100% perfect in terms of combat and speed since it's almost never possible to adapt this.

I lost all lives at the architect but it was fine since i had enough time to gear up for the final run afterwards but I got nervous and messed up at my most hated level in the final world 6.3. 

Nonethless it was early enough to get back on track and in the end I was able to kill the final boss almost flawless. 

So take your time, don't get nervous when things go sideways, practice the Architect level until you are able to kill him at least twice in a row without dying, memorize the extra lifes and stick to the rocket launcher.

Hope it helps, cheers Davy!

• Like 3