The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

54 minutes ago, Juzota said:

280full.jpg

Okay, but kinda boring. 5/10

It was blown outta proportion by the mainstream media because it had a black superhero...just like they went above and beyond to stop the criticism for Captain Marvel being less than most of the other Marvel movies. Movies, like Television, now-a-days have to push an agenda if they expect anything on awards night, or want to be premiered on the media outlets.

1*gjIsgVxqtJgTrvpHvUMp_w.jpeg

So, after putting it off a long time, I finally saw Amazing Spider-Man. And now that I have I can honestly say.... eh, it had its individual moments.

As I said in my status update, it feels a bit unfair, as I had spoiled myself on this movie beforehand, so on that note, I'll try not make any direct comparisons to it and the Raimi trilogy.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

First thing first, what I did like. The classroom fight was cool, the crane scene was entertainingly cheesy, the Lizard was an OK villain, and..... ugh, that's all I can remember from memory.

I think alot of what I like was either the result of the technology bump, or elements that felt actually new. That being said, I found myself thinking that both of these things deserved to be a better movie.

Now, the odd things. Alot of these I was spoiled on years before in user and professional criticisms, and were for the most part right. Andrew is miscast and mis-written as a non-nerdy Peter Parker, many parts seem soulless and going through the motions, feeling like its caught between being a Batman Begins and Sam Raimi tone, alot of convenient awkward plot moments (PP labeling his camera, Gwen creating a sudden antidote to a disease she knows nothing about) and plot points that feel unresolved.

There something's off about Spiderman not getting any sort of closure in regards to Ben's killer, the guy Connors hated I couldn't tell if he live or died, and yeah, it's pretty sad that the plot point about his parents, arguably the ONE thing that set it apart in regards to the origin story, could be axed with absolutely nothing lost.

That being said, I put these in the odd category, as they didn't put me off the overall and experience, and I take it as a given that first in an entry, reboot or not, is bound to have start-up problems.

Lastly, I will the moment I hated. And that's the ending.

It's just.... why? WHY did it have the be framed that way? There were at least two alternate ways it could've gone.

1) Cpt Stacy doesn't make Peter promise.

2) Gwen pulls a MJ and tells Peter to respect her own choices.

But no, the movie went the most absolute douche way possible, where Peter flat out goes "Yo, sorry I wasn't there for you in your hardest moment of sadness and grieving, but I'm here now lol fuck your dad's promise". I'm serious when I say I legit hated this part, and this interpretation of PP, at least at this moment.

All that out of the way, I am glad I put this unresolved viewing behind me. Again, It had moments I liked, but unlike the Raimi trilogy, I not really feeling like this series had any hidden potential forever lost to the void now, so I'm not gonna miss it.

We'll see if this changes after I tackle the next one.

the-amazing-spider-man-2_139522376850.jp

Edited by RedRodriguez87

15 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

Despite my apprehension at Zac Efron playing the lead role this was actually really good. What a fiend Ted Bundy truly was.

Ohh I've been wanting to see this. Good to know that he did a good job, that was the part that worried me the most!

4 hours ago, torchicgal said:

Ohh I've been wanting to see this. Good to know that he did a good job, that was the part that worried me the most!

It does a great job of showing how sinister the bloke was but at the same time he was such a charmer and could really get people on his side.

the-amazing-spiderman-2-new-poster.jpg

I have at last finished the Amazing Spiderman series. And yeah, the 2nd one sucked.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Unfortunately I can't think of a single moment off the top of my head that I can say I liked that was unique to TASM2, except that maybe Andrew was a bit more believable as Peter Parker this time around, no longer being in the HS phase. Most of the scenes I found interesting or at least had potential where all moments I thought were done much better in the original trilogy. And I know said I wanted to be fair and not compare the two, but with this one, I just can't help it.

Many parts had major tone whiplash AGAIN, characters are introduced in half-hearted ways, and plots come and go constantly with little time for the audience to be able to care about what the hell is going on; the movie refuses to just sit its ass down and tell ONE story. It's the same exact problem Spider-Man 3 had, but WORSE! Why? because at least Raimi 3 was trying to follow a 3-act structure for ONE movie and not trying to set up for future installments!!

Heck, even the one aspect I hated about TASM1 the sequel went about "fixing" in the most asinine way. 

TASM1:

PP: lol Im gonna break my promise to your dad, Gwen.

GW: lol K teehee

TASM2 opening:

PP: omg It was actually a hard decision sobsob I can't do it Gwen!!

GS: sobsob Fine, I'm breaking up with you!

Me: Well, so long as the movie just sticks to it, and isn't BSing me off and on again the rest of the movie.

Movie: lol fuk you.

If this sounds like Spider-Man 2, it's because it is. Well, at least Gwen will be like MJ and they can start their relationship properly AAAAAAAND she's dead. Yeah, a cliched though still important moment gets dropped on us near the end, and disappears into the void just as quickly.

OK, not as quickly, just 6-7 minutes.

You know, filmmakers (and defenders), if it's such an old and redundant story beat, to point where you honestly feel you can just rush through it, why not switch it up and NOT have her die? I don't know of too many that would object to a still alive Gwen, and I think the numerous critics and viewers and fans (who cite the Garfield/Stone chemistry as the objectively best aspect of these movies) can back me up on this. 

It's no wonder the Amazing franchise died with this one. But again, I will never deny that it had moments I liked and wanted to like, and it feels good to finally see them, if only for sense of closure that I was truly not missing out on anything. 

Edited by RedRodriguez87

Gappa, the Triphibian Monster (AKA Monster from a Prehistoric Planet) (1967) 3 Stars, Cop Land (1997) 3.5 Stars, The Butcher's Wife (1991) 4 Stars, Category 6: Day of Destruction (2004) 3 Stars, Category 7: The End of the World (2005) 2 Stars, Tango and Cash (1989) 3.5 Stars, The Eiger Sanction (1975) 3 Stars, Superdome (1978) 3 Stars, Fletch (1985) 3.5 Stars, In the Heat of the Night (1967) 4.5 Stars, Spirited Killer (1994) 3.5 Stars, The Day After Tomorrow (2004) 2.5 Stars, Hooper (1978) 3.5 Stars, Shrek (2001) 4 Stars and Twister (1996) 3.5 Stars.

GappaJapaneseposter.jpgCop land movie poster.jpgButcherWifePoster.jpgCategory 6 Day of Destruction.jpgCategory 7.jpgTango and cash.jpgEastwood in climbing gear suspended by a ropeImage result for superdome filmFletchmovieposter.jpgIn the Heat of the Night (film).jpgImage result for tony jaaFilm poster of a snow-covered New York City skylineImage result for hooper filmShrek.jpgTwistermovieposter.jpg

Spirited Killer 1994 ★★★½

Watched Jun 28, 2019

PSXtreme’s review published on Letterboxd :

If your complete exposure to Martial Arts movies are the Americanized recent films of Jackie Chan or Jet Li, you aren't going to be ready for Spirited Killer. This film is gritty, badly dubbed, bloody, gruesome, graphic and very poorly preserved by the ravages of time. However, beyond all of that, it also offers some TOP-NOTCH action and some EXCELLENTLY REALISTIC sparring with complete unknowns to the Hollywood-only faithful. Starring Panna Rittikrai and Tony Jaa in some of their earlier work, this should be enough to peak the interest of any Martial Arts fan and if you don't know who these two giants are, you aren't a real aficionado of the genre.

The synopsis that you will read on most of the movie websites don't do the film justice. Take one part Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, a giant helping of Jeff Spicoli and his crew from Fast Times at Ridgemont High with the remaining portions taken from Camp Crystal Lake (AKA Friday the 13th). Shake, stir and serve over ice. No matter what you might think of the concoction, it works for both a quick fix and the long run. Nevertheless, the dialog, and even the plot, is secondary to the almost constant action that leaps across the screen. This is top notch, as long as you aren't squeamish, and stands up to the Martial Artist wire-work of today without the benefit of the green screen F/X department.

Difficult to find, and released as part of a trilogy, this one should be be high on your must-have list. if you come across this DVD, jump at the opportunity to pick it up and make sure you have plenty of popcorn at the ready for a family viewing.

Edited by PSXtreme_
added review