The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Watched Joker yesterday.

Don't go to the movie expecting it to be the canon origin of Joker (from the comics), or to see Batman saving the day. For some reason there's a big age gap between Joker and Bruce (doesn't make sense), but it's a worthwhile movie, that should absolutely be given a chance. Mental illness, poverty, class warfare, the wealthy corrupt, and one man's downward spiral from failed comedian to Batman's greatest, eternal foe. It was interesting how this movie did a reversal on origin stories.

Spoiler

See, in canon, Batman's the reason why Red Hood had fallen into a vat of acid and became the Joker. But in this story, Joker's indirectly the reason why Bruce loses his parents and grows up to become the Batman (non canon asf). 

What sets the movie apart from other "super"-type movies is that this is very much grounded in reality. So realistic in fact, that the dark story makes you feel that this could actually happen in real life.

Spoiler

A man adopted, and growing up abused by his adoptive parents, to the point of suffering brain trauma. Social services' funding gets cut (because fuck having the Govt help the people....), leaving the man without anyway to get his medication. Man lives in the projects, having to take care of his aging mother with minimal income. Man can hardly find work. Man gets beat up by teens and rich alike. Man continue striving for his dream of being a comedian. Man gets ridiculed by his talk-show idol. Man learns that his who life's been a lie. Man loses mother. Man realizes his love life was his imagination spawned from lack of medication. Man is given gun to protect himself from thugs. Man is fired for having gun. Man has nothing left to lose, and kills his attackers. Man sparks a movement. The movement spawns from the ever-growing tension between the ultra-elite and overly impoverished. Man breaks down. Man kills his idol, thereby breaking away from the last fragment of his old life. Man leads the movement. Man is the Joker. 

If you can watch this movie and not come out thinking this is a big issue in America, then you're in serious denial. How many shootings have there been this year? How about last year, the year before...? What does one party in government always blame? Mental illness. What never happens afterwards? Funding and resources to treat said ailments. You can't just keep blaming the same thing over and over without doing anything about it, and then expect it to magically stop happening. 

Rant over, go watch the movie. I look forward to more R-rated movies from either DC or Marvel, as I much enjoyed Logan and Deadpool :D 

BESIDES THAT, I also watched Rush Hour 2 and Stand By Me for the first time. Didn't really care for either movie. :/ 

Edited by ArmoredSnowman

Image result for lion king

Hell.... This movie was suppose to be a major disappointment based on what I've seen pre-release, and it did start out that way sometime in the beginning of this movie, but overall it wasn't that bad and as much as people probably say. It's similar to the live action Aladdin in that its better than the original in many ways (pacing, scene transitions, writing, storytelling, whatever else), but it still doesn't achieve the same kind of greatness as the live action Aladdin or Jungle Book for that matter (neither of which I find are good comparisons given their advantageous settings, more interesting storyline, and presence of dynamic human interactions that compensates for and compliments the mostly expressionless or one/two dimensional CGI animals) which was painful to experience while watching the movie.

Image result for lion king animated movie

(And that one again right after.)

Edited by EcoShifter

happy-death-day-2u-movie-poster-image0.j

Not as strongly or tightly written as it's predecessor, but still a solid movie. Besides, Groundhog Day style time loops and multiverses are my jam, so I was always gonna be on board. Much like the first Happy Death Day, main character Tree carries this movie hard, and as unlikely as it is now, I wouldn't mind a third film in the series just so we get to see more of her.

Image result for toy story trilogy

Even with this being among my top favorite "Walt Disney" series, i'm going to keep this short. What a goddamn trip down memory lane that was. Unlike other WD movies I've rewatched at some point after their releases, the Toy Stories (outside Toy Story 2 from what I can remember) wasn't one of them. Having rewatched the whole, former, trilogy in order over the course of two days, now I can finally say with reasoning that Toy Story 2 is actually the weakest, like some of the fanbase has said. Second installments have a knack for being the best across different media series like games and movies, especially trilogies, but this isn't one of those instances. Unfortunately, it's not even the second best; both Toy Story and Toy Story 3 are better than Toy Story 2. Now I have to see Toy Story 4 relatively soon, as well as where it ranks on the list. Some short, vague, selective, & random details... Woody is actually rather an annoying character in TS, the first movie has dark elements I hadn't noticed originally (obviously), the moment in Buzz's character arc when he finally realizes that he is in fact just a toy hit emotionally hard, and the seemingly Sonic reference and definitely Lion King reference (having just rewatched that movie prior) are nice. Would forget otherwise if not mentioned. (Will probably list down my long full thoughts in a notepad or something.)

Toy Story 4 poster.jpg

Basically the Uncharted 4: A Thief's End of the Toy Story series, which is bad. This movie should not exist, and it's my least favorite in the series. Either this series should have ended with TS3, or the story should have been different, like it was before its partial rewrite. I really, really wonder how the original story was. Now I have to hope for a fifth installment to overwrite this "mess".