Least Favorite Kinds of Trophies

Dreakon139

Types of Trophies  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Your least favorite types of trophies?

• Trophies based around difficulty (Beat the game on Hard/Crushing)
    • Trophies based around online modes (Win in all variations of multiplayer modes)
    • Trophies based around collectibles (Find all 100 treasures/100% of blast shards)
    • Trophies based around speed (Complete the game in under 6 hours)
    • Trophies based around main quest/side quests (Complete 'So and so quest')
    • Trophies based around perfection (Beat a level/game without dying/Take 0 damage)
    • Trophies based around number of players (Complete something with a full party/3 other players)
    • Trophies based around losing/failing (Lose 100 matches/Die 20 times in one level)
    • Trophies based around something meaningless (Play the game before 9am)
    • Trophies based around time spent (Spend 24 active hours in Create mode)

Trophies where you have to collect all the equipment when there's a ton of equipment or even worse missable equipment. 

Online trophies in general. 

Super duper luck based trophies lol

Last but not least, trophies that require 2 or more other people :o sometimes it's hard convincing my non trophy hunter friends to help lol

@Dreakon139 Can you add an option to the poll that has something along the lines of multiple playthroughs? I personally don't wish to waste time like this and would rather play on the hardest difficulty (without having to unlock it for example) right off the bat while clearing up misc trophies and collectables along the way. Multiple playthroughs, especially games that require 3+ (MGS4 for example requires 8) are just unnecessary padding. If people love the game so much, they can do a NG+ or whatever out of choice rather than have it shoved down their throats in terms of trophies (TW3 is a great example, where I voluntarily played a NG+ having already obtained all achievements).

Of the existing options, collectables are annoying when they bring nothing to the story, have little to no creativity and serve as nothing more than padding. For example collectables in the Bioshock series were absolutely fantastic as they added to the whole experience. Mafia 2 is an example of awful collectables. It's no indication of patience as some believe, as obtaining 100% is a better reflection of having any kind of patience.

Also trophies that require x amount of time in some mode is stupid. With SR3 and SR4 I had to leave the system idling for several hours after obtaining 100% just to get the trophies that required 30 or 40 hours of playtime.

I usually love difficulty trophies as they pose some form of challenge in many cases, but there are some modes that no one fucking bothered to playtest. Great example is UC2 Brutal mode where several checkpoints are 100% RNG. And if like me you play games without exploits, cheats, tweaks or w/e, then you'll know exactly what I mean.

Edited by Zolkovo

Speed runs for sure. I enjoy online multiplayer, so that's not an issue for me. Trophies that give you 1 life, or you lose several hours of gameplay are almost as annoying as speedruns. Currently looking at Outlast. Complete game on the hardest difficilty which deletes your save when you die. I love it, and hate it at the same time.

For me it's by far the difficulty related ones that I hate most. My best example is in Kingdom Heart's, beating the game on critical mode and trophies for Proud mode as well. I just about managed normal mode and love KH, but will never get the plat because of the difficulty related trophies. Same goes for the perfection trophies. I always take damage... 

I'm a loner when in comes to gaming, so online, multiplayer, number of players trophies and anything else that requires another person would make me not want to even buy the game.

In terms of play time trophies, I tend to get most of them naturally except in Tales of Innocence where you can easily get every trophy (and the plat) in 50-60 hours).... if it weren't for the 100 hours play time trophy. I literally had to leave my vita on for 40 hours ?

I don't mind the rest, like collectibles, side quests, speed runs etc. though. Collectibles are variable in that some games it's not too bad and quite reasonable (e.g. FFXII, Tales of Xillia and Xillia 2), and other games it's totally off the wall time consuming (FF13, Disgaea 4's pirate ships, Yakuza 0)

Generally not a fan of online multiplayer trophies.

Co-op can be ok up until you get stuff like Flawless Raider on Destiny or Criminal Masterminds from GTA5 (I have both but they are perfect examples of trophies I loathe). I don't mind grinding for trophies or even some difficulty but I draw the line when the game puts me at the mercy of other players.

Speedruns can be a pain but for the most part usually come done to knowledge of the game & as I generally do all other playthroughs (including hardest difficulties etc) first, I'm usually pretty competent at that point.

Win streak & rank based trophies in fighting games. I like fighters but generally I'm horrendously bad at them so trophies like that are detestable.

• 1 year later...

It's mainly online trophies with me, sure depending on the game the other types can be not as bad or truly awful but for the types of games I like I really can't get into multiplayer trophies.

I've been lucky when it's come to finding decent people to play with especially from the boosting session forums. But for me when i'm really into a single-player narrative-driven game and there's multiplayer to do I just never find the multiplayer part of the game as enjoyable as the base game.

I'd have to say online trophies as well. Mainly because these types of trophies have the chance of becoming unattainable at any time (and sometimes with no notice) due to server closure. Also, attaining trophies on my own is a more rewarding feeling too. With that being said, attaining MP trophies can be fun with the right people even though I prefer mostly SP myself.

Online trophies that require a lot of grinding - Reason Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag isn’t finished. Why I will not do Grand Theft Auto V. 

RNG based trophies - If a trophy is only obtainable completely by luck, I get annoyed rather quickly. 

Collectible trophies - I generally hate collectibles, doesn’t matter what game it is. But ones that require a YouTube video like the stupid collectibles in Vanquish or in older games a damn map printout like inFamous 1, I get a bit pissed off. 

Party trophies - Trophies that require a bunch of people to do the same task online is one of the worst types imaginable. 

Red Dead Redemption is a perfect example of this. 

Edited by Spaz

• 3 years later...