Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

42 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

Guys, what should I play today when I get home from work?

There is:
The Captain Spirit game

Bloodborne , duh

Gears of War

Halo 2

Or make a suggestion from my backlog.

J

Go with Captain Spirit... Or start with Dark Cloud II, it is a really nice game indeed!

(You created a new account?)

36 minutes ago, Caju_94 said:

(You created a new account?)

Yes, so I could plat Bloodborne/Souls games again mainly :lol:. That and I hated the name of my old account for years.

I wanted to have it linked to this forum account but I think that ain't gonna happen.

39 minutes ago, Caju_94 said:

Go with Captain Spirit... Or start with Dark Cloud II, it is a really nice game indeed!

Maybe I'll go with Captain Spirit. That should be over in about 2h from what I've heard.

J

Just finished Onrush. That means I finished the final event and have seen the ending animation. There is still a lot of farming left for the platinum, like achieving all challenges and getting numbers of special medals.

The game itself is really good. I thought I'd get an offroad racer, but it had more in commen with games like Overwatch. You dont have to be first or fastest, but you fight against another team in 4 different event types. It is really fun. When playing with the AI it is very luck based. I had matches where I didn't do anything and still won. And others where I was by far the best player and still lost.

Since the platinum is very luck based, I am not sure if I will go for it.

On to the next game. I think I will finally finish "Life is Strange". It stayed unplayed on my backlog for far too long.

original post

• Like 1

Okay, so today I finished Bloodborne again. I'm leaving just a few trophies off to get the plats in the right order. Can I have a point for this? :(

On a serious note though, together with my girlfriend I played through Gone Home just now. We really liked it.

I don't have that much to say (complain xD) about since there wasn't any real gameplay to speak of.

The story and the voice acting were great, but we didn't ''get'' it till a while in and thought it was kind of a horror game - and we were scared shitless lol.

The actual conclusion of the story was nice though and we're both happy it ended this way.

I'd give the game an 8/10, but only on a Walking Simulator score. If you compare it to ''regular'' games, I couldn't rate it.

Played on Playstation 4 Pro

J

• Like 2

Back in the negative for the second time. I couldn't resist this sale though. It was way too good. I was able to get 6 games for $50. I've been waiting for both Drakengard 3 and Diablo Reaper of Souls to be dirt cheap so I could pick them up and play them. I've never played Drakengard, but it looked fun, so I've had my eye on it for a while, and when I saw it was less than $10 I snagged it. And I've already played Diablo 3 on PC a good 4 times, but I never played the Reaper of Souls expansion. I've never seen it this cheap, and I would much rather game on console, so I grabbed that one too. What really killed my points was getting FFIII and then X/X-2 on Vita. I technically already have X and X-2 for both PS2 and PS3, but I really just wanted a good reason to play my Vita, so I grabbed those three. It's also my goal to have FFI-X on my Vita eventually, and to play them all. I'm also trying to pull away from mobile games, and playing on my Vita instead of my phone while I watch stuff will be a good way to transition away from it. And then I got Strider 2 because I had $4 left, and I felt bad, because I've only ever played it on emulator. I'm not counting it though, because it's not going on my backlog, since I've already played through it, and I only got it because of guilt, haha. Because of all of this, I'm at a whopping -7 points though. I'll really need to start plowing through some stuff to get that back down. x_x

• Like 2

Another point for me :) I got the plat for Kingdom Hearts this weekend. I'll copy across what I said from the lets play of it

As much as I love the game I do think it shows its age a little bit as you play it. The movement is a little clunky more so in Atlantica. Overall though whether it is nostalgia or something else I had a lot of fun going back through a big part of my childhood. I ended up having to do three playthroughs because I didn't trust myself to do proud first. That was a mistake but live and learn.

That puts me at 6 points currently with 18 games completed in the event. Currently working on God of War and Rocket League, also picked Guitar Hero again since the server closes in December. I was on 17 out of 18 for Excellent Constitution and the game crashed, resetting me to 0. That was a rage moment ?

• Like 3

Artsy Weekend

This weekend I realized that there are other games besides RPG's and you can actually play them. Crazy, I know.

So I dusted off my old artsy feather head, or whatever these young people are wearing nowadays ?, and started playing a few smaller, yet awesome games.

I already made a post for Gone Home but wanted to mention that I also played it this weekend, I think I never finished so many games consecutively before.

Captain Spirit:

I thought it was kinda weird to give out this one for free. I seemed way too good, and a little too elaborate for a demo.

After playing it I knew why they did it. I am really excited for Life is Strange 2 now, hadn't it been for this event, I think I would've pre ordered it right then and there.

I dig these kind of stories, it's not world changingly original or anything but they just did an amazing job with it and it struck right into my feel zone.

These games are kinda hard to rate since they're only about 2 hours each. As this is also free, it's increasingly hard.

I'd give it a 7/10, I think.

Played on Xbox One X

Journey:

Oh the hype around this game.

Usally not a good thing if you're late to the party and expect a lot.

I understand why this game gets so much praise, even though I can not say I'm in the same boat.

Journey does it's best to work with the simple message it has. The aesthetic is beyond great though, this game looks and feels amazing and unique

Still, after all I've heard about this game I expected a bit more depth than I got.

I'd give it a 7/10 too.

Bound:

Now this surprised the shit outta me.

A platformer about a ballet dancer with an immensly unique artstyle? Count me in.

I thought it was going for the same vague ''We got a story to tell but not really'' schtick like Journey. Which I'm actually fine with, it's just not that deep as everyone makes it out to be, to be honest.

But Bound actually told a story, a good one in a convoluted and extremely metaphor heavy way. That's totally my jam.

It also had actual gameplay... not a given these days. Albeit not too deep on a regular playthrough (trophies look super hard and amazing).

The animation work is the best I've seen so far in any game ever. Period.

It's so calming to look at the dance of the unnamed princess. So precise, yet elegantly dreamlike. It looks completely effortless as she catapults herself upwards out of the momentum of a roll, only you know that it requires almost inhuman strength to pull off any of this.

It's a truly touching game, at least it is to me.

There is a second side to the game however, literally. The unnamed princess has a real life counterpart, and these two stories are intertwined.

I won't say any more, if this sounds remotely interesting to you, play it. It's great.

I'd give it an 8/10.

Also, my girlfriend finished Stardew Valley after 100 hours of playtime! :yay:

By far her longest game played to date and I'm really happy she got that invested in the medium I so much love.

I will make another post where I go through my backlog changes and about my points as this one is long enough as is. A lot has also happend in this regard.

J

• Like 1

It was bound to happen at some point with the PS3 being on the chopping block in terms of support for older games. But with the closure of the servers for LittleBigPlanet Karting, I have my first 'dead' game on my hands and am removing it from my backlog. Knowing that I will never play it because I can no longer get the platinum is aggravating, but not so much as having a forever % instead of a solid trophy on my list.

9 hours ago, Paleblood said:

snip

Lies! Lies I tell you! There are no such thing as games that aren't RPGs!

Seriously though, sounds like they were all pretty good games, and you finished so many. I'm a little jelly. I wish I had some short games left on my backlog. xD

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Lies! Lies I tell you! There are no such thing as games that aren't RPGs!

Seriously though, sounds like they were all pretty good games, and you finished so many. I'm a little jelly. I wish I had some short games left on my backlog. xD

I know, I couldn't believe it either... :hmm:

They were! I had a ton of fun that weekend.

Hey, but you still have a few Telltale games I see, and Prince of Persia games for exapmple are also pretty short.

J

• Like 1

Subsurface Circular:

File:  \Boot\BCD

Info:  An error occured while attempting to read the review data

Command:  Initialize reboot

10%

20%

30%

40%

50%

60%

70%

80%

90%

100%

This is a game I'm not sure about if I even like it. If I would even recommend it to anyone.

You play as Theta One One, a humanoid (in stature, no face) robot detective. These robots are called ''Tek''.

You ride the subway and talk to other Teks. That's it. That's the game.

You've been assigned a case, but on your way in the subway another Tek asks you for a favour, to find his missing friend.

Or at least to investigate on this matter. Ok, so off you go.

You talk to a few Teks for ~3 hours and then you gotta make a decision. A pretty big one at that.

And I have to say, I was pretty into it at the end.

You're basically on a wild goose chase as you early on get some information about someone named ''Red Tek'', and about his involvement in a few missing Tek cases. But you don't know how credible this information is to begin with and if the Red Tek even exists. Or if you talking to him right that second, because you also have no clue how he looks. He is not red lol, that's just his name.

I can't really say anything more without spoiling the thing. If you're interested in a text based detective game without any movement at all, then this is likely a great pick-up for you.

The start is kinda slow but I just have to say that I was quite intrigued at the end and felt that the ending really meant something.

But you could also absolutely hate this game and find it to be the most boring thing ever.

I'd however give it a 6/10. Still good, but no replayability whatsoever on my end.

And I love replaying games I liked.

Played on Nintendo Switch

J

Edited by Paleblood
  • Like 1

On 13 July 2018 at 3:06 PM, Paleblood said:

Yes, so I could plat Bloodborne/Souls games again mainly :lol:. That and I hated the name of my old account for years.

I wanted to have it linked to this forum account but I think that ain't gonna happen.

Maybe I'll go with Captain Spirit. That should be over in about 2h from what I've heard.

J

Sly can link a different PSN account to your forum profile, I've seen him do it for others before when they've asked. It does remove your premium sub as a result so you'd either have to buy that again or kindly ask Sly to add it again for free, dunno how successful the latter option would be.

6 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Sly can link a different PSN account to your forum profile, I've seen him do it for others before when they've asked. It does remove your premium sub as a result so you'd either have to buy that again or kindly ask Sly to add it again for free, dunno how successful the latter option would be.

I asked him a few times, till now nothing happend. Frankly, I'm tired of asking, because I feel like I'm annoying when I do.

But thanks for trying to help me :)

8 hours ago, Paleblood said:

I know, I couldn't believe it either... :hmm:

They were! I had a ton of fun that weekend.

Hey, but you still have a few Telltale games I see, and Prince of Persia games for exapmple are also pretty short.

J

I don't have a PS4 right now, so I can't do most of the TellTale games. Maybe I'll do Wolf Among Us this weekend, I totally forgot about it, and it should be pretty quick. And Prince of Persia is a good idea! I'll have to work on those once I'm done with Drakengard 3. They sat on there so long because it was a huge bummer having to hug a video guide to get the plat for Sands of Time, but since I don't really care anymore, I'll just play through it.

• Like 2

Ok, sadly I have purchased 4 games, that puts me to -8 :(

With the recent bunch of games I played through I had 4 points, so far so good. But a games store around where I live closed down and gave out games for dirt cheap.

I managed to grab FF XII, Resident Evil VII and The Evil Within II for 15 bucks. like I said, super cheap. I still gonna take the full hit in points.

To add insult to injury, Amazon gave out Wolfenstein II for 15€ on Prime day...

My girlfriend also bought a few games for the 3DS. I listed them on my backlog for now because I'm semi interested in playing them.

I won't take the hit in points here however because a.) I didn't buy them and b.) I don't know if I will ever actually play them.

The games are: Detective Pikachu, Ever Oasis and Monster Hunter: Stories.

I may remove them from my backlog alltogether again, we'll see.

J

• Like 2

Darksiders II (PS3) has been beaten after 4 years and 9 months of inactivity on my list ?

I enjoyed Darksiders immensely with the large sprawling dungeons, interesting take on the apocolypse, and imagining that War was just a grown up Link that could talk. I fell out of synch with the shift in character to Death and having to rely on evading in combat over brute strength. It soured the game for me and I stopped playing (luckily that happened after I got the one online trophy).

However, I am really glad that I returned to this game. Death is more fluid that War was, but he is also not as stamina driven so even a few hits depletes his health by a lot. Learning the new combat and getting through the environments became the highlight of this game, not to mention it was a collection-fest.

With the online being disabled for the PS3 version, if you can play it on the PS4, I highly recommend it. The first Darksiders does not have to be played to fully grasp what is happening as the two games happen concurrently in the timeline. Overall 7/10 experience.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

Darksiders II (PS3) has been beaten after 4 years and 9 months of inactivity on my list 1f605.png

Pretty much the same story on my end. Played the original Darksiders ages ago and never got to the sequel unfortunately (Despite buying it day one, of course..).

It's included in the Xbox Game Pass and I eyeballed it for a few weeks now. I think I'll give it a go soon, your story gave me the little push I needed.

Even more so since Darksider III is right around the corner. :comp:

In other news, two days ago I started RiME on the Xbox One, also included in the Game Pass. I've played about 4-5 hours and expect to be done tomorrow.

I'm eager to write my little review about it that nobody ever reads ?

J

• Like 1

Finally finished Life is Strange. I managed to get through the last 2 years(?) without getting spoilered. I think the game is quite good, but a bit overhyped. I understand why people like it, but in my opinion it's not so much better than the (best) Telltale games. The first 2 episodes were a bit boring. With the 3rd and 4th they got me on the hook.

I got 3 points now and am allowed to buy a new game, yeah. ?

original post

On 18.7.2018 at 3:30 PM, BlazzingWind said:

Darksiders II (PS3) has been beaten after 4 years and 9 months of inactivity on my list ?

Darksiders 2 is also on my list since forever. I purchased it during a sale, but never were in the mood to even start it.

Edited by Moosbert
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Moosbert said:

Darksiders 2 is also on my list since forever. I purchased it during a sale, but never were in the mood to even start it.

If you are referring to the PS3 version and have not started it, please be aware that there is a single online trophy (pay it forward) that relies on the online network to be up and running. Services for the PS3 version have been discontinued. So if you are playing the game for the platinum, the plat is unattainable on the PS3 :(

11 hours ago, Paleblood said:

Pretty much the same story on my end. Played the original Darksiders ages ago and never got to the sequel unfortunately (Despite buying it day one, of course..).

It's included in the Xbox Game Pass and I eyeballed it for a few weeks now. I think I'll give it a go soon, your story gave me the little push I needed.

Even more so since Darksider III is right around the corner. :comp:

In other news, two days ago I started RiME on the Xbox One, also included in the Game Pass. I've played about 4-5 hours and expect to be done tomorrow.

I'm eager to write my little review about it that nobody ever reads 1f44d.png

J

I actually DID purchase Darksiders II day one and played about an hour of it (which is why I had pay it forward and crow carrion on my list since forever) but YEEEEESSS cannot wait for Darksiders III! I have the first two remasters for the PS4 buuut...probably gonna wait a bit to playthrough them again ;)

I really liked RiME, it was a fun little game with a surprisingly deep concept and am eagerly awaiting to read your take on it

• Like 1

Finished rain and Papo & Yo in the past 24 hours.

rain: very short (8 chapters) with almost no backstory. You play as a little boy that chases after a ghost image of a little girl in the rain and becomes invisible himself and trapped in a dark version of the city where the rain is constantly falling. It felt more like a walking simulator than an actual game, but it was interesting to see how the developers handled a 'game' where the only sound was footsteps, roars of monsters, and the falling rain. It made for a very peaceful experience. Collecting the memories gave a little more backstory, and without giving anything away, helped make the city/town itself into more of a character itself.

Papo & Yo: went in looking for a easy and fun game, walked away with a unique experience akin to playing through RiME again. This game handles deep issues (addiction, abuse, self-blame) in a way that feels genuine and adds to the story, rather than detracting from it. It is hard to not give a lot of the story away, but you play as a young boy that winds up in an unusual world where chalk drawings cause the world to adapt and change. It is through this world that the young boy travels along with a monster to try and get back home. I do believe the game should have been longer to fully explore certain things, but for what it was, the game was good.

Moving on to Anna, which I have heard is a buggy game - wish me luck >.>

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Moosbert said:

Finally finished Life is Strange. I managed to get through the last 2 years(?) without getting spoilered. I think the game is quite good, but a bit overhyped. I understand why people like it, but in my opinion it's not so much better than the (best) Telltale games. The first 2 episodes were a bit boring. With the 3rd and 4th they got me on the hook.

Nice going!

I really liked Life is Strange but also thought first two episodes were boring. Though the second half justifies playing it through.

What did you think of the ending? Did you like it?

12 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

Finished rain and Papo & Yo in the past 24 hours.

These games sound super interesting! How long were they?

Especially Papo & Yo is on my radar now.

J

5 hours ago, Paleblood said:

These games sound super interesting! How long were they?

Especially Papo & Yo is on my radar now.

J

rain from start to finish (including chapter select cleanup for collectibles) took me about 4 hours. Not long at all, and a guide is only needed to see where the collectibles are, otherwise the puzzles are pretty self explanatory.

Papo & Yo was a bit longer, I wanna say from start to finish without a break, it probably took me about 6 hours. I did a full playthrough and enjoyed my time = 4 hours, than I did a second playthrough getting all the hats and being careful to not accidentally use a hint = 2 hours.

If you enjoyed RiME I think you'd like Papo & Yo over rain. Though some of the platforming, especially in White Mountain was annoying lol.

• Like 1