Earning Trophies on 3rd Party, Independently Revived PSN Game Servers

I don't really see how it's much of an issue. They're earning the trophies legit. No auto-popping or hacking involved. So, I don't see an issue. I'm actually pretty stoked about old games getting fan servers, so that people can go back and play them. I'm hoping it happens with more games, especially with PS3 and Vita online support being potentially pulled next year.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

On TrueAchievements it is not allowed to earn Halo 2 (GFWL PC) achievements through the revived servers.

I don't really think this can be allowed here either.

This is a completely different website and Xbox Live/Games for Windows Live are different and would have different Ts & Cs compared to PSN. Games for Windows Live as an overall service was shut down by Microsoft. As far as PSN is concerned, nothing in the ToS prohibits doing what is mentioned in the opening thread and people on this website also use the excuse of something being "against the ToS of PSN" for flagging people. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

Sounds great if it's 101% legitimate that no hacks is possible. But if there is a chance then this will just open up so much more possibilities for hackers.

Anyone who wants to hack the trophies will more than likely be taking into consideration the date that the servers closed and edit the time stamps to be within that time frame. I've never personally seen a dispute for a flagged game where the person hacked trophies for a date after the server shutdown, but made the gaps for the trophies look legitimate. As far as it goes, it's just adding to a long list of network exploits people can apply to help aid them earning trophies. No other network related exploits for trophies like adding a DNS code to the console has ever been flagged before, so why should this be flagged? 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

Sorry for the ignorant question but are these revived servers only possible on PS3 or PS4 too?

The only server someone has proven to work so far with independently run servers is Bulletstorm on PS3, but you never know. It has taken years for anyone to really do anything like this for PSN. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the future people find ways to bring back PS4 servers independently. 

However, people have been reviving PS2 and PC servers for a very long time.

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sergen said:

The only server someone has proven to work so far with independently run servers is Bulletstorm on PS3, but you never know. It has taken years for anyone to really do anything like this for PSN. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the future people find ways to bring back PS4 servers independently. 

OK, thanks! Here's hoping to a Dead Star fan revived server, then :)

Ahhh!! I recently reported someone for Bulletstorm (ps3) online trophies because they were after the server closed date (its my first time reporting someone..was a request)...I guess he may had used one of these DNS things.?  Oops.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY
He is off the leaderboard now..

I woulf love to see this done for Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and I would also be interested in seeing how it affects games whosr servers contain save data (Crysis 2). If it starts you over from scratch that'd offer me a potential fix for my long-glitched Modern Art trophy that is tied to data saved server side. Does anyone know how we vould start looking into this stuff?

Even though I'm an offline gamer, personally I think it's a great idea. The biggest flaw of online trophies is that eventually most of them become unobtainable, & that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of in trophy hunting. :facepalm: So no, I think it's completely legit & people shouldn't be flagged for it. Of course, I guess the tricky part would be actually proving you did them legit in the revived server, & didn't just hack them... :hmm: 

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

I mean, if they didn't want to let people use custom DNS, they just wouldn't have put that feature in their console.

Without a "DNS" you simply cannot connect to any other server or website for reference without knowing it's exact IP address. DNS translate IP addresses into domains. A "Domain Name Server" contains information about the domain-name, attached with an IP adress, so that your PC/console/etc. can use that information to connect to that IP address. It's like how websites works, if you type in www.PSNProfiles.com the "DNS" will look up it's IP address and will return that information to your device, letting you connect to that website. 

The only issue that these servers could have is that what they're doing is illegal, by using modified software or even reverse-engineering the software that could lead to an infringement of the rights of the IP(intellectual property) holder being the publisher/developer. In which case they could issue a take-down request if they so wish. However regular users shouldn't worry about it as they aren't doing anything wrong.

Edited by joskeabzu

14 minutes ago, joskeabzu said:

Without a "DNS" you simply cannot connect to any other server or website for reference without knowing it's exact IP address. DNS translate IP addresses into domains. A "Domain Name Server" contains information about the domain-name, attached with an IP adress, so that your PC/console/etc. can use that information to connect to that IP address. It's like how websites works, if you type in www.PSNProfiles.com the "DNS" will look up it's IP address and will return that information to your device, letting you connect to that website.

I'm well aware of what DNS is. Yes, your PS4 obviously needs to be able to access DNS to use the internet, but that is not the same thing as Sony putting in a feature that lets you use custom DNS. There are devices that force you to use the domain name servers provided by your ISP.

The fact that Sony put in a custom DNS feature in the first place shows that they are OK with people using custom DNS.

Edited by NathanielJohn

33 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

I woulf love to see this done for Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and I would also be interested in seeing how it affects games whosr servers contain save data (Crysis 2). If it starts you over from scratch that'd offer me a potential fix for my long-glitched Modern Art trophy that is tied to data saved server side. Does anyone know how we vould start looking into this stuff?

If the data is stored on a another server and by using a "DNS" you simply would loose all progress as that savedata is not available on that "new" server. So you would have to start from scratch.

32 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

I'm well aware of what DNS is. Yes, your PS4 obviously needs to be able to access DNS to use the internet, but that is not the same thing as Sony putting in a feature that lets you use custom DNS.

The reason could be as simple as a DNS that is currently down or you could not simply connect to it or is overloaded, others reasons could be that it's either blocked by your country/ISP or for whatever other reason there is. Not having that feature where you cannot setup a custom DNS is just bad overall. Also if they wouldn't put that in, your PS4 wouldn't even be able to connect to PSN... As the OS on the PS4 will require that information automatically or manually.

Also putting in " a feature, that you call it", but not allowing it sounds incredible dumb.

Edited by joskeabzu
typo