How to get other region Vita games trophies WITHOUT CFW

temp-910724

4 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

But what if you're lazy like me? Wouldn't it just be better to buy a second Vita, than?

Good plan, more Vita hardware sales. However, this doesn't get all those trophies on the same account so that person has a complete history of their trophy gaming on one profile.

3 hours ago, kuuhaku said:

I can confirm it's still possible to do on the latest firmware.

hmmm, so Sony had a perfect opportunity to patch out this exploit but didn't?...does anyone know if Sony has ever stated why they haven't made it so that players can access digital content for all regions like on their other consoles?...

I know I've already voiced my opinion on this but I woke up this morning, thought about the whole situation while having my morning coffee and procrastinating going over some business numbers, and realized how silly it is in terms of how it affects the leaderboards...I really think this is being blow out of proportion and that psnp would be going a little far in terms of policing leaderboards if trophies displayed with this exploit were deemed flaggable...

i actually agree with the rules that  firmware/software used to directly expedite earning trophies being a flaggable offense but I just don't feel it's the case here...i think there should be effort to remove implausible timestamps from the standings but I fail to see how this vita email exploit is considered implausible timestamps...if people are using it to alter trophy data without meeting their requirements, fine, flag it...if they're doing it to bypass earning the trophies as per their requirements, fine, flag it...if all they're doing is allowing themselves to display trophies earned in exactly the same way as anyone else who has ever earned them legitimately and there is no direct impact on the way the trophies have been unlocked, let them be...the day it crosses the line into territory of no longer meeting individual trophies' requirements is the day i would qualify it amongst "things that are flaggable"...

again, as with the previous topic like this, it comes down to opinions and what the goal of the leaderboards here are...i guess we just wait to see what Sly thinks...I appreciate that an effort is being made to discuss this ahead of time as it seems to be uncharted territory and would be one heck of a discussion to have in a dispute...haha... all I got...curious to see the verdict...

4 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

hmmm, so Sony had a perfect opportunity to patch out this exploit but didn't?...does anyone know if Sony has ever stated why they haven't made it so that players can access digital content for all regions like on their other consoles?...

Sony is beholden to content licensing and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout . Their ToS should keep honest people from obtaining content outside the regions it's licensed by only creating accounts for the region they reside in for but it's an honor system. It's more rampant in the movie industry, so Sony definitely has their lawyers brushed up on all the goings on, but it's much more lax in the video game industry.

2 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I know I've already voiced my opinion on this but I woke up this morning, thought about the whole situation while having my morning coffee and procrastinating going over some business numbers, and realized how silly it is in terms of how it affects the leaderboards...I really think this is being blow out of proportion and that psnp would be going a little far in terms of policing leaderboards if trophies displayed with this exploit were deemed flaggable...

i actually agree with the rules that  firmware/software used to directly expedite earning trophies being a flaggable offense but I just don't feel it's the case here...i think there should be effort to remove implausible timestamps from the standings but I fail to see how this vita email exploit is considered implausible timestamps...if people are using it to alter trophy data without meeting their requirements, fine, flag it...if they're doing it to bypass earning the trophies as per their requirements, fine, flag it...if all they're doing is allowing themselves to display trophies earned in exactly the same way as anyone else who has ever earned them legitimately and there is no direct impact on the way the trophies have been unlocked, let them be...the day it crosses the line into territory of no longer meeting individual trophies' requirements is the day i would qualify it amongst "things that are flaggable"...

again, as with the previous topic like this, it comes down to opinions and what the goal of the leaderboards here are...i guess we just wait to see what Sly thinks...I appreciate that an effort is being made to discuss this ahead of time as it seems to be uncharted territory and would be one heck of a discussion to have in a dispute...haha... all I got...curious to see the verdict...

Let's be real about this. It's not just an e-mail exploit. Besides, there has actually been console games where the online portion worked through e-mails. No joke. xD Dreamcast has such games.

Anyway, it's not just that you get an e-mail to register the vita with an account, it's more that you aren't supposed to be able to do that with a vita that is already registered to an account without removing the local user data on it, and you abuse side-effects of this exploit to transfer trophies earned on another account to your main.

Sony had the chance to fix other stuff with the Vita too, they didn't. They wanted to stop the exploits that allowed people to install CFW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

1 -  dreamcast has such games... 

2 - you aren't supposed to be able to do that with a vita that is already registered to an account without removing the local user data on it, and you abuse side-effects of this exploit to transfer trophies earned on another account to your main...

3 - they wanted to stop the exploits that allowed people to install CFW.

1 - let's be real it is just an email exploit and someone has mentioned that it can be done independantly by the person who owns the vita...as in, using vitatricks is optional from what I understood meaning little to no "risk" ...not sure what online access on a dreamcast has to do with psnp leaderboards or the matter at hand but ok...

2 - I did as much research as the net would allow and sony hasn't really stated anything other than the vita will only allow one user account at a time and that a factory reset is needed to change users...they mentioned the possibility that they would allow multiple accounts then renagged the statement...why?...no idea...so there's just speculation...if it not being programmed into the console leads to supposition well, that's just opinion...could be morals, hardware limitations, risk vs reward in terms of money spent vs earned on making it possible, legal implications, etc...no idea...couldn't find anything concrete...

on a side note : sony also doesn't make turbo controllers but using them seems to be fair game with regards to earning trophies here...why am I mentioning it?...because it's also a third party exploit that's acceptable...yes, it's hardware, not software and I understand that detecting third party hardware use via time stamps would be very difficult...is this the real issue?...if an exploit can be easily detected, flag it?...if not, regardless of if it violates any regulations, it's acceptable and qualifies as things that can't be flagged?...just wondering...trying to understand how things work around here...

3 - so they didn't consider it a worthy exploit then?...out of curiosity, does anyone know if using this email workaround even violates the ToS?...and I mean if you were to send yourself the email as suggested by someone earlier as being possible...

18 hours ago, Nathaniel_Wu said:

Since the op didn't bother to explain, I looked into it a bit, and I found that you can do it all on your own, all his website does is to send you an email that contains a .ics attachment that has a line of "URL:psnreg:".

Just send yourself a email with a compliant iCal file that also includes a line of "URL:psnreg:", the rest is the same.

It seems that the mail app on Vita has a loophole, so that accessing "psnreg:" when you preview a iCal event isn't prohibited as it is in browser app or in any email itself.

18 hours ago, Nathaniel_Wu said:

the first part of this exploit is to force login a second psn id using Vita's own facility, and the second part seems to be triggering a bug in trophy sync system so that after you force log back into your first psn id, it actually synchronizes trophy for your second id rather than the first as logic implied.

why is the above risky?... 

I've asked before and would appreciate if someone could answer...what is the advantage of using this exploit in terms of the leaderboards?...you still need to create multiple accounts, and spend time buying and playing the games...a competitive player wouldn't be very competitive if they stopped earning trophies because a simple exploit like this was disallowed, would they?...If the stats just appear on multiple accounts for those not performing this vita exploit it shouldn't affect stats like first or fastest achiever or rarity at all...so what is the big deal with people basically just transfering legitimately earned trophies from one account they own to their main account?...what effect will it realistically have here?...people will stack inexpensive or easy games?...they already do (for ps3 and ps4) and it's their own money they're spending and time they're potentially wasting by doing this...really no need to pass judgment imo...

I'm really curious as to what action/non-action sly will take...gonna shut up as I feel i just keep posting the same things over and over...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

3 - so they didn't consider it a worthy exploit then?...out of curiosity, does anyone know if using this email workaround even violates the ToS?...and I mean if you were to send yourself the email as suggested by someone earlier as being possible...

Some parts of the ToS that would be part of the email workaround

You may not use, make, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware, including Non-Licensed Peripherals, in conjunction with Sony Online Services, or take or use any data from Sony Online Services to design, develop or update unauthorized software or hardware, including cheat code software or devices that circumvent any security features or limitations included on any software or devices.

the limitations part would be directly referencing the vita only allowing one account at a time

You may not cause disruption to any account, system, hardware, software, or network connected to Sony Online Services for any reason, including for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage in a game.

Technically this could be included as you would be disrupting what the vita can normally do

You may not introduce content that could be harmful to SCEA, its licensors, or players, such as any code or virus that may damage any property or interfere with the use of the property or Sony Online Services.

The ics exploit would be considered harmful code

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sergen said:

I think the only people who can really say "this is against the ToS of PSN so you shouldn't do it" without being a hypocrite would be the people who have never boosted a trophy, never created an alt account for a different region, never used an alt account to aid them with a trophy, never glitched a trophy, never deleted a patch to aid with exploiting a trophy. Considering basically any trophy hunter with more than 10 platinums has done one of the above, I think nobody has the right to tell people that they shouldn't be doing something because it violates the ToS of PSN, when they'll happily bend the rules in their favour and violate the ToS to aid with their own trophies. Two wrongs don't make a right, but you're not in the right if you're telling people to not do something when you also do something that Sony themselves may consider equally as bad. Allow Sony to deal with people who use exploits like this, you can then say "I told you so" if they are banned from PSN or have anything negative happen to their account. I must say I find it funny because we all know that if a game started banning people for boosting, a trophy guide would still be published with information regarding boosting and avoiding being detected when you boost trophies. Either way, I am no saint myself and I have boosted trophies and used Gonespy to earn an online trophy, but I don't bend the rules in my favour by saying "you're wrong for doing this because you violated the ToS of PSN, which means you should be flagged". You'd be flagging every trophy hunter who has over 10 platinums if the flagging rules completely respected the ToS of PSN and we'd basically only have around 10,000 people on the leaderboards and the highest ranked person would have to be someone who only does single player trophies, because near-enough every trophy hunter will boost online trophies to get them done. 

I don't see anything specifically mentioning boosting in the terms of service, but it's definitely frowned upon. Individual developers can have their own ToS not allowing it

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

I don't see anything specifically mentioning boosting in the terms of service, but it's definitely frowned upon. Individual developers can have their own ToS not allowing it

Sony's own games have at times also been subject to banning people from the entire network simply because they boosted on the game, the most notorious game being Killzone 2, where the mods would issue a 1-day ban from PSN upon the first instance of discovering that a person was boosting. 

Here's one thing they mention in the ToS of PSN regarding some in-game cheating: 

• You may not cheat, exploit or use any bugs, glitches, vulnerabilities or unintentional game mechanics in PSN Services or any of its products or services to obtain an unfair advantage.

Now, you could say "it's not an unfair advantage because everyone has the chance to do this", but I can completely guarantee that if there was a glitch that allowed people to go out of bounds in the game and kill everyone from a vantage point without being shot in a multiplayer shooter, a trophy hunter would publicise that and make a thread saying something like "Easy kills for (insert trophy name here)" and that information would then be published in the trophy guide. That would be an example of one of the unfair advantages that would still be allowed by trophy websites, while it is explicitly prohibited in the ToS of PSN. 

You do also agree to terms when you go online for a game and that is likely where boosting could be mentioned and while it may not be mentioned within the ToS of PSN, doing something within the game that breaches the in-game user agreement could result in your PSN account being banned. Either way, I bet if you ask Sony if it's okay to boost online trophies on their latest games, they'd probably say it wasn't, but this website doesn't care about that. 

I want to keep my account, thank you very much.

17 minutes ago, Sergen said:

Sony's own games have at times also been subject to banning people from the entire network simply because they boosted on the game

I do remember something about boosting in old ToS and they didn't allowed it. But I'm not sure, I'm not in mood to read old legal crap to confirm it.

I'm just saying I remember something.

8 hours ago, Sergen said:

But the fact of the matter is, people will violate the TOS when it suits them, then say "it's wrong to violate the TOS", so it is being a hypocrite if you use the TOS of PSN to explain that something is wrong and that people shouldn't do it, when you've violated the TOS by boosting multiplayer trophies to get them done faster than the game would have intended.

In regards to the terms of service by Sony and sharing the account I think it's kinda like a credit card yes we say don't share it but we know you will this is more if some kinda fraud happens on it because you did this then your at fault not us it's more to cover their own interests. 

However, I know back in the 70's or 80's there was an exploit with a certain bank in my country, that people could withdraw money after the bank was closed and their weekly pay would go in after midnight by taking advantage of this exploit people avoided paying overdraft fees. People who took advantage of this exploit have life long bans from the bank in question. 

This exploit that is stated in the thread if it is against the terms of service by Sony doesn't matter as much as to the why it's in there is it there because they are covering their own assets and you can do it but something happens Sony's not responsible if something happens or is it there and if you do it it's a bannable offence. 

If someone does boost online and is caught their stat's get reset. It all really depends on what the punishment will be for a certain crime and if they choose to enforce it. 

Edited by DEMONICRUBLE18

13 minutes ago, DEMONICRUBLE18 said:

In regards to the terms of service by Sony and sharing the account I think it's kinda like a credit card yes we say don't share it but we know you will this is more if some kinda fraud happens on it because you did this then your at fault not us it's more to cover their own interests. 

However, I know back in the 70's or 80's there was an exploit with a certain bank in my country, that people could withdraw money after the bank was closed and their weekly pay would go in after midnight by taking advantage of this exploit people avoided paying overdraft fees. People who took advantage of this exploit have life long bans from the bank in question. 

This exploit that is stated in the thread if it is against the terms of service by Sony doesn't matter as much as to the why it's in there is it there because they are covering their own assets and you can do it but something happens Sony's not responsible if something happens or is it there and if you do it it's a bannable offence. 

I'm not arguing against it being against the ToS, what I was arguing against is people who are white knights to the ToS by saying things like "this is against the ToS of PSN and that's why you'll be flagged", while thousands of trophy hunters break the rules every single day by performing exploits that weren't intended by games and boosting and creating alt accounts while providing false information to sign up to those accounts. 

If you were to only allow people who completely respected the ToS of PSN on the leaderboards for this website, over 90% of the people on the leaderboards would have to be removed because pretty much every trophy hunter has: boosted a trophy, created an alt account with false information, exploited a glitch in a game and so on. So when someone says something is against the ToS of PSN as a way of guilt tripping people into feeling bad about doing something, they're being a hypocrite because they've demonstrated that they will break the rules if it can be used to benefit themselves. The ToS of PSN doesn't currently mention whether specific things are worse than the other, they're all listed within the same set of rules, so maybe they consider boosting online trophies as being just as bad as doing this with your vita, you never know unless you want to get a Sony representative to come here and leave a comment. 

PSNProfiles isn't a subsidiary of Sony/PlayStation and does not completely respect the ToS of PSN when deciding whether someone is worthy of having a spot on the leaderboards. This should be a "use at your own risk" kind of situation where whoever uses it only has themselves to blame if something goes wrong with their console or account, as far as the trophies are concerned, they should be considered as legitimate because other means of earning trophies deemed illegitimate by Sony and other developers have still been approved for use on this website countless times. 

Edited by Sergen

I don't like this exploit AT ALL. Not because of the email or .ics stuff, but actually because you're abusing a bug in the trophy synchronization on PS Vita which could lead to people transfering unsynched trophies from other accounts other than his own  (i.e downloaded accounts from the internet) to their main account and then synch those trophies. If the exploit would simple let you play the games from other regions while SIGNED into your main account in Vita, that would get a OK from me, but as it is, it allows people to exploit the trophy system in such way that go totally against the leaderboards system.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Where is this documented?

I don't think there is any, as you know but we all know (lil bit of hyperbole) what happened to the PSP and the DS range. Also slightly different in nature but still along the lines of piracy, jailbreaking Apple products was really popular at the time for people to get paid Apps for free and free Microtransactions. I think it isn't unreasonable for someone to assure piracy was definitely a main issue when speaking of the Vita at Sony. They likely took the steps they thought would help, whether it actually did or not is a different story. Someone might have already brought this up but I got tired of reading all the replies. 

Edited by skateak

11 minutes ago, skateak said:

I don't think there is any, as you know but we all know (lil bit of hyperbole) what happened to the PSP and the DS range. Also slightly different in nature but still along the lines of piracy, jailbreaking Apple products was really popular at the time for people to get paid Apps for free and free Microtransactions. I think it isn't unreasonable for someone to assure piracy was definitely a main issue when speaking of the Vita at Sony. They likely took the steps they thought would help, whether it actually did or not is a different story. Someone might have already brought this up but I got tired of reading all the replies. 

I understand and you could completely be right. The point was that we can’t refer to our assumptions as facts and then base any further argument on that. For all points of this conversation, Sony’s design and intention with the Vita is only speculation, and should not be pointed to as any reason for any “rules” here.

1 hour ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

I don't like this exploit AT ALL. Not because of the email or .ics stuff, but actually because you're abusing a bug in the trophy synchronization on PS Vita which could lead to people transfering unsynched trophies from other accounts other than his own  (i.e downloaded accounts from the internet) to their main account and then synch those trophies. If the exploit would simple let you play the games from other regions while SIGNED into your main account in Vita, that would get a OK from me, but as it is, it allows people to exploit the trophy system in such way that go totally against the leaderboards system. 

if abused would it be much different from having team accounts on the leaderboards?...or are they just a myth?...the latter is a serious question...i thought there was a consensus with team accounts that as long as the times stamps are legit then they remain on the leaderboards...or am I imagining this?...they could only be transferred once, is that right?...otherwise you would end up with a group of people with identical time stamps?...is this correct?...i'm feeling like curious George here...does anyone know if any profiles have ever been removed from the leaderboards simply for being team accounts?...

@Otonio_Brunodoes this mean you are not at all satisfied with the leaderboards now since people can already exploit the system in a very similar manner without risk of flag or removal?...

Edited by ProfBambam55

11 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

if abused would it be much different from having team accounts on the leaderboards?...or are they just a myth?...the latter is a serious question...i thought there was a consensus with team accounts that as long as the times stamps are legit then they remain on the leaderboards...or am I imagining this?...they could only be transferred once, is that right?...otherwise you would end up with a group of people with identical time stamps?...is this correct?...i'm feeling like curious George here...does anyone know if any profiles have ever been removed from the leaderboards simply for being team accounts?...

No bans just for Team accounts. Just like no bans so far “just” for CFW.

Only one shot at transferring, they can’t be duplicated and shared between multiple accounts and would still have to be initially earned by completing the in-game requirements.

Identical time stamps are definitely regularly scanned here and those caught are flagged and or banned based on severity. 

forgive me for all the edits and questions...despite my own opinions I like to try to understand where others are coming from and don't like to pretend knowing things I don't actually know...i like all this discussion and logic stuff (and particularly if numbers and equations are involved)...i see topics like this kind of as a complex math problem....combine it with gaming talk and honestly, it's the reason I keep using the forums here...i mean $hit, i couldn't care less about someone's latest trophy or what people think of the latest games...this is where the substance is at for me...haha...it's not about seeing eye to eye with everyone...it's about solving issues, dare I say, together that affect us all...

based on the above post, if this was abused as Bruno fears it would be very similar to team accounts syncing trophies on one main account by the looks of it then, which already exists here...so far it would seem that it's neither encouraged nor discouraged...

follow up question for clarity : have any profiles been flagged or removed for syncing unsynched trophies from one account to another?...i'm assuming the game was purchased and trophies earned legit, of course...just trying to follow up on Bruno's logic...see where issues may lie...

Edited by ProfBambam55

57 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

@Otonio_Brunodoes this mean you are not at all satisfied with the leaderboards now since people can already exploit the system in a very similar manner without risk of flag or removal?...

In my point of view, yes, it would be different. Note that I think that both trophy system manipulation and team accounts should not be allowed on the leaderboards. If this kind of trophy manipulation (Where one gain trophies in one account then transfer to your main account due to an exploit in the system) is allowed, people could backup entire profiles from a cfw vita and those profiles would have unsynched trophy lists and then transfer that profile to a unmodded PS Vita and use the exploit in opening post to synch all those trophies into a 'legit' account.

It's a similar case to when someone buys an used ps3 that already had an user with completed trophy lists but that didn't register to PSN, then someone just sign in using your account, getting hundreds, if not thousands, of trophies without actually having played those games. But unfortunately, for the ps3 case it can't be detected...for PS Vita it might be.

Also for the record, I'm not against people using tricks/bugs/exploits for the to play digital games from other regions since the lock is pretty absurd in the first place, Vita is region free console but with the moronic 1-user allowed per system mechanic you can't play digital games from different regions like a PS3 and PS4 does. My beef is with this particular method is that it uses a bug in the trophy synch system for PS Vita which could open the door to other nastier things. But you're right about the timestamps...if they look legit, they should remain in the leaderboards, unless you're caught with timestamp manipulation done with cfw systems.

Finally, I loathe team accounts, it completely destroys the purpose of trophy hunting in general. Same as selling/buying trophies...

Edited by Otonio_Bruno

1 hour ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

people could backup entire profiles from a cfw vita and those profiles would have unsynched trophy lists and then transfer that profile to a unmodded PS Vita and use the exploit in opening post to synch all those trophies into a 'legit' account.

but people can already do this with ps3... even worse they don't even need to play the games...they can just forge time signatures to look legit or basically buy the trophies off other people...so I'm wondering if this is just extrapolation or if it really is an important point to the situation here on vita...i think you see where this is coming from despite personal opinion...

i agree that it could lead to abuse but would it really prevent people from hoarding trophies?...somehow I doubt it...i don't think we could create any kind of rule that would prevent hoarding or certain people having advantages over others...it's just not realistic...do we need to encourage exploits?...no...but do we need to discourage it by flagging or removing people?...also a no...it's all just opinions of what each person wants the leaderboards to represent imo...after all, we could extrapolate on a lot of topics that could be considered abuse by some that the leaderboards currently allow...

a sort of funny extrapolation side note : maybe we should encourage people to use this vita exploit hoping that Sony bans these users someday...would clean up the hoarders from the leaderboards a bit, aye?...haha...

Edited by ProfBambam55