New Patch Removes 53 Songs from GTA IV and Episodes

Afro_Gear

Maybe Rockstar does this because the license of these songs expire with the 10th anniversary.

Rockstar is still selling GTA IV and Episodes on digital PSN, XBL & Steam, so if they didn't remove these, the game would legally have to be delisted unless they patch the game to remove the songs, so that, they are still legally able to sell the game digitally.

It is still kinda pointless because the games from PS3 on the PS Store come at 1.00 version, same for XBOX 360 games (and I am not sure about Steam). So the songs are still gonna be there if you buy the game tomorow at PS Store and choose not to download the latest patch.

On PS4 the digital games come Pre-patched which I don't like because of stuff like this, or a patch that breaks the game instead of fixing.

13 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

It is still kinda pointless because the games from PS3 on the PS Store come at 1.00 version

Yeah but it was patched in 2014 IIRC because of the GameSpy debacle... anyway my digital "Complete Edition" (simply the digital main game and the two non-standalone DLCs) wasn't touched by this, i tried searching for new updates and nothing. I bought it on August 2013.

Edited by Lance_87

I never cared either way if a game uses licensed music or not, as long as the music itself is good.

I just hope that Rockstar manages to find good substitutes for the music that had to get removed. None of that Nicki Minaj, Nickelback, Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, Lil Wayne bullcrap.

I actually love most of the songs taken out of Liberty Rock unfortunately.

I have the digital version on PS3 (ditched the disc copy years back) and won't be updating, unfortunately I have auto updates on on my Xbox One and it patched them both a week or so back, I have the physical version on 360 which is fine for that, but I only play it on Xbox One via the digi download BC version so I'm shit out of luck there.

Anyway, like, I understand this, but I hate it nonetheless. It's proper lame how they do this to games. 

So... has anyone actually been able to get this patch on a disc version of the game?

I have a feeling this particular patch is just for digital copies of the game, as those are the only copies the publisher is getting any money from at this point. I don't they are legally required to do anything about disc versions as those have all been sold ages ago so it wouldn't make much sense to patch them to begin with.

It's been days and my PS3 digital copy is untouched. I bought it in 2013.

I'm not even sure if they ever released a 9th update for PC physical copies.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I never cared either way if a game uses licensed music or not, as long as the music itself is good.

I just hope that Rockstar manages to find good substitutes for the music that had to get removed. None of that Nicki Minaj, Nickelback, Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, Lil Wayne bullcrap.

They only replaced all songs from Vladivostok FM because they literally removed ALL OF THEM.

On 28.04.2018 at 10:38 PM, charlijaen said:

Maybe Rockstar does this because the license of these songs expire with the 10th anniversary.

Rockstar is still selling GTA IV and Episodes on digital PSN, XBL & Steam, so if they didn't remove these, the game would legally have to be delisted unless they patch the game to remove the songs, so that, they are still legally able to sell the game digitally.

It is still kinda pointless because the games from PS3 on the PS Store come at 1.00 version, same for XBOX 360 games (and I am not sure about Steam). So the songs are still gonna be there if you buy the game tomorow at PS Store and choose not to download the latest patch.

On PS4 the digital games come Pre-patched which I don't like because of stuff like this, or a patch that breaks the game instead of fixing.

Actually, PS3 games on PS store come at latest version at the time of its digital release and GTA IV was released Feb 14, 2012, you can check it on PS store page of the game.

Edited by polaris2327

I just checked again my Download list and to my surprise the sizes of both base game and DLC have been altered.

Those bastards removed the songs for everyone who own a digital copy, including myself, i bought this game in 2013 FFS.

Edited by Lance_87

57 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

I just checked again my Download list and to my surprise the sizes of both base game and DLC have been altered.

Those bastards removed the songs for everyone who own a digital copy, including myself, i bought this game in 2013 FFS.

Really amazing they did it. Well, I guess you can always get the disc for a really low price nowadays and just reject the update when you are asked for it.

5 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

Really amazing they did it. Well, I guess you can always get the disc for a really low price nowadays and just reject the update when you are asked for it.

Apparently there's no update for the physical PS3 edition. Or the PSN edition. They just preferred to do this "stealth" crap.

Are savegames compatible with the Complete Edition? Or does it share the same trophy list, at least?

On 08.05.2018 at 0:40 PM, Lance_87 said:

What region store did you bought yours from? I’ve checked just now EU store and according to Download list json data GTA IV, The Lost and Damned, The Ballad of Gay Tony, Episodes from Liberty City have the very same file sizes and download links as they did in 2014 long before the soundtrack debacle.

Edited by Se7en

38 minutes ago, Se7en said:

What region store did you bought yours from? I’ve checked just now EU store and according to Download list json data GTA IV, The Lost and Damned, The Ballad of Gay Tony, Episodes from Liberty City have the very same file sizes and download links as they did in 2014 long before the soundtrack debacle.

I'm from EU, too. I use PSDLE to export the list, sadly i didn't check the download links before the size change.

30 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

The song that comes straight to my mind when I think of this game didn't get removed:  The Boggs - Arm in Arm. 

Literally ALL the songs i remember from this game were removed :( like Evil Woman. Same crap happened with San Andreas.

48 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Literally ALL the songs i remember from this game were removed :( like Evil Woman. Same crap happened with San Andreas.

I thought the GTA4 soundtrack was trash personally. My favourite was The Boggs, can't even think of 3 more songs I liked on it. 

The San Andreas soundtrack however was absolutely amazing, I could list you 25+ excellent songs from that within a flash:

• Johnny Harris - Odyssey
  • America - Horse with no name
  • Dazz Band - Let it whip
  • Ronnie Hudson - West coast poplock
  • Billy Idol - White wedding
  • Heart - Barracuda
  • Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
  • Booker T & the MGs - Green Onions

to name but a few. As the king of soundtracks, I find it much more of a tragedy that San Andreas received this song culling IMHO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...