4 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm struggling right now. The last 16 challenges require you to do hot laps with the supercar which is extremely fast and slows down to a crawl whenever you touch a wall. Now with the rather extreme nature of the courses and the shitty camera angles it's next to impossible not to hit any of the barriers in your turns, which would be fine if the ghost times weren't that precise. If you mess up a single turn it's basically over for any of the short courses, even if you only touch a barrier slightly it's almost impossible to make up the difference afterwards. If this happens at the start of the race you're faced with the decision of restarting or just keeping going as both take a similar amount of time. The annoying thing about restarting is that you're just sitting there waiting for that damn traffic light to count down. Keeping going is equally annoying as I tend to ace the rest of the race, nearly catching up to the damn gold time, cursing at myself for messing up the beginning. On the longer courses a single mistake doesn't make that much of a difference and it's often possible to win even after making a minor mistake.

I guess the most annoying part is that I spend as much time, if not more, waiting and/or doing useless things as I do for meaningful attempts to win. This leads to a bunch of frustration and my usual comparison to Super Meat Boy, the only game I know of where you can die countless times and still have a fun experience because each death loses you seconds and you can instantly start over. No need to wait for an arbitrary countdown or to finish a lost race. Of the 40 minutes I spend on a single challenge, I spend around 20 waiting and that's just not fun, especially if you've been repeating the same 11 seconds over and over again during those 40 minutes. 

Things like this can sure be infuriating. If I realize that I hit such a roadblock I tend to take a break from the game as I prefer to not spoil my mood. And loading times can surelby be more annoying than they already are if you just want to do another retry after messing up for the umpteenth time. That's also why I got so frustrated about Lumines as the loading times where longer than they needed to be. 

4 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Anyways, I hope you're having fun with Ys, I've been considering some of the earlier games of the franchise for a while.

I wouldn't replay it if I wouldn't have fun with the game. :P  If you want to play any of the games I would say that you might be better off with playing the versions released on PC. The games are normally a bit cheaper on there and the system requirements are quite low. There's also a demo for Ys Origin so you can test how good the performance is on your own devices. Otherwise I can't really recommend which game you should give a try as I like them all more or less the same. Only thing I would say is: Stay away from Ys 1 & 2 as the battle system ain't fun at all.

2 hours ago, Fidel said:

Well, I'm not super obsessed with Platinuming every game I play, though I do often try. Lol. If I don't feel like playing it 6 times, it'll just meet the same fate as Chain of Memories. :P But I haven't been one to shy away from a challenge as of late. 

I'm well aware that you aren't afraid of a challenge. Just wanted to warn about the many playthroughs. Even if they are rather short (especially compared to Chain of Memories) it can still be a dull experience that spoils the fun. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

The challenging trophies still come, though. The game requries a minimum of 6 playthroughs and at least 3 of them have to be on the highest difficulty. Normally this wouldn't be that annoying as quite a lot of Falcom's games have the possibility to carry over your stats between your playthroughs but this ain't the case for Ys Origin. So doing those will surely be a bit more annoying as you not only take more damage, you also get less experience and AFAIK the bosses also learn some new attacks. To top that there's also the requirement to do a Boss Rush on that same difficulty and unlike the main game, you will have a fixed level. Yikes. As I never played the Boss Rush-mode in the Steam-version I'm not sure what to expect. I just know for sure that I never liked those modes and avoided them if there's no need to go for them (like it's the remaining trophy... :/ )

Boss rush on nightmare is nothing in this game compared to the Steam version.  It's only required to do it with one character, thus you can feel free to cheese it and use EX Hugo to your heart's content.  The only difficult trophy was beating arena mode on nightmare.  Boss rush may take some practice if you've never done it before, but since I 100%ed the Steam version the plat was easy for me, just time consuming.  The bosses don't outright learn new attacks, but the attacks have some different patterns to them.  If you have trouble with Nightmare, just grind a bit and you'll be fine.  Time attack requires actually learning the patterns, but Hugo has his wind shield, so time attack is more forgiving with him.  EX Hugo has a bit more range too, so he's the easiest to beat time attack with.

DotEmu also hadn't fixed the very lovely glitch with arena mode when I got the Vita plat.  If you play arena mode, then go and play story mode, the SP drops are the same as arena mode, thus you get insane amounts of SP on nightmare difficulty.  Keep a normal mode save handy though since you'll want it for the grind to level 60.

If you ever need any help feel free to ask me since I've got the plat and 100% on Steam and know the game well and maybe someday I'll be nuts enough and grab the plat on the PS4 stack.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 10:17 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

@eigen-space, I played that game on my cousin's Xbox and it's definitely fun to play with friends. I thought the trophies would be easy, but the RNG gods have to be on your side for this plat!

I just found out that the achievements on the xbox are wayyyyyyyy easier... the phrase that has the highest rarity doesn't need the nudge nudge on xbox -_-;

9 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Game #4 - Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth - Preview

Expectation:

Having played very little of the tactical-RPG genre (a couple of hours of Disgaea 3 and a few hours of Hyperdevotion Noire), I'm hoping that it's more in the line with the former. I also hope that it's not filled with fan service and that the visual novel aspects won't constantly interrupt the gameplay.

IIRC the Utawhatever-games tend to focus more on the Visual Novel-aspect than on the actual gameplay, but from a review I read that Mask of Truth has a bit more gameplay than Mask of Deception.

8 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Boss rush on nightmare is nothing in this game compared to the Steam version.  It's only required to do it with one character, thus you can feel free to cheese it and use EX Hugo to your heart's content.  The only difficult trophy was beating arena mode on nightmare.  Boss rush may take some practice if you've never done it before, but since I 100%ed the Steam version the plat was easy for me, just time consuming.  The bosses don't outright learn new attacks, but the attacks have some different patterns to them.  If you have trouble with Nightmare, just grind a bit and you'll be fine.  Time attack requires actually learning the patterns, but Hugo has his wind shield, so time attack is more forgiving with him.  EX Hugo has a bit more range too, so he's the easiest to beat time attack with.

I guess I just have to get familiar with Hugo. I'm normally not the type of person that prefers to stay in the background but instead I prefer the more frontal assault. That's always my playstyle somehow. But I'm well aware that his long range is crucial for surviving against some bosses as I have to admit that I took quite a bit of damage while fighting them.

And thanks for the offer. :)

3 hours ago, eigen-space said:

So... from a second playthrough perspective... I'm really not enjoying this much. I played Danganronpa 1-2 Reload back in February and only mildly enjoyed it then. The mechanics aren't that fun, and you already know all the answers to the puzzles. And because the story was only barely good enough the first time around, this time just seems like a chore.

How did you like Dangan 1 in comparison? Personally I really liked it, besides the horrible school mode. Wasn't really enjoying the second game, too. I don't know the exact reason but I guess it was mainly due to the cast which felt rather unsympathic and the plot didn't really catch my interest. Not to forget those "improved" minigames which more felt like a downgrade. It's surprising to read that you enjoyed the school mode, though. :lol:

26 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

IIRC the Utawhatever-games tend to focus more on the Visual Novel-aspect than on the actual gameplay, but from a review I read that Mask of Truth has a bit more gameplay than Mask of Deception.

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that. It's been roughly 30 minutes of dialogues per 5 minutes of battle so far.

13 minutes ago, jasondm300 said:

Yes there was.  It was island mode.  But it wasnt as bad as the Magical Miracle Girl Monomi minigame.  That was awful

So... I just googled that minigame and feel like I've landed in someone's LSD trip.

Well, school mode alone is enough for me to give it a pass. The story apparently not being that great is another reason to skip it, and well then there's said minigame.

1 hour ago, jasondm300 said:

Yes there was.  It was island mode.  But it wasnt as bad as the Magical Miracle Girl Monomi minigame.  That was awful

I totally forgot about that crap minigame. IIRC there was also a Tamagotchi-like one? Things like this always make me wonder why the devs even bothered to add that in. Probably the only reason was to make the player feel some despair, too. <_<

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

How did you like Dangan 1 in comparison? Personally I really liked it, besides the horrible school mode. Wasn't really enjoying the second game, too. I don't know the exact reason but I guess it was mainly due to the cast which felt rather unsympathic and the plot didn't really catch my interest. Not to forget those "improved" minigames which more felt like a downgrade. It's surprising to read that you enjoyed the school mode, though. :lol:

The first time around it dragged toward the end... this second time is boring me to tears.

I feel like they went a little more wild with the cast, which is maybe why they felt unsympathetic... like the first game, everyone has their personalities, but they weren't overbearing. This game they picked personalities but hyperbolized them.

I do think the puzzles are sightly improved. I had every murder solved before even going into the class trial in the first game... this one, not so much. Though I hate the truth sword and logic drive mini-games...

@voodoo_eyes, I actually think school mode was the best part of the game xD

A bit repetitive, but it felt kind of mathematical in a way. 

Magical Girl Monomi was pretty.... silly.

48 minutes ago, ImBossy83 said:

#3 Game

The binding of Isaac: Rebirth

So i'm back home after my short Trip to Bavaria. For the trip i picked the critically acclaimed Binding of Isaac. With a Metacritic of 88 and a stable Vita Port this seemed to be a good pick. 

Why haven't i played this game already?

Well i started it a few times and made single runs. It never drew me in as i could never figure out what i'm actually supposed to do. But for this event i wanted to dive in so that i might understand why so many people like this game. 

The verdict

I still don't understand the game. This game is a kind of twinstick shooter/ Rougelike that has you explore randomly generated levels and pick up Upgrades on the way.  I have the feeling that i got a little bit better but still it felt like my success was pretty much down to RNG. As most Rougelikes the game is punishing. Whenever you die you pretty much loose all your progress. The combination of loosing all progress and beeing dependent on RNG didn't really appeal to me. So that in between I returned to play Spec Ops the line which is also punishing especially if you're not too versed in cover shooters but i could see and understand the progress i made. 

I played binding of Isaac for about 5 hours and got 2 trophies. My completion is currently at 54.41%(-0.98%). 

Next up #4 Game Resident Evil. 

Binding of Isaac is one of my most played games on Steam with over 450 hours. I could explain the game to you.

If you want to watch an (outdated) story theory you can watch a video from Game Theory about it. The develoers more or less approved the theory.

• Like 1

@eigen-space To me it felt like a tacked on chore that added nothing of value to the game. It's a shame as I'd like to play the whole series, but can't justify paying for it, if it includes something I know I won't enjoy. Trigger Happy Havoc was an impulse buy back then, because it seemed to have an original concept, and I'm a sucker for murder mysteries in general.

Oh well, I guess there's always the possibility of Danganronpa 2 coming to PSplus. (Yeah, I won't be holding my breath :P)

Edited by voodoo_eyes

1 hour ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Binding of Isaac is one of my most played games on Steam with over 450 hours. I could explain the game to you.

If you want to watch an (outdated) story theory you can watch a video from Game Theory about it. The develoers more or less approved the theory.

Interesting. I always thought about getting this eventually if I can get it at a good price. Unfortunately, I didn't have a PS4 when it was free on plus.

Does the game theory spoil the game? I might have to watch it...

3 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Interesting. I always thought about getting this eventually if I can get it at a good price. Unfortunately, I didn't have a PS4 when it was free on plus.

Does the game theory spoil the game? I might have to watch it...

There are some spoilers about some bosses and the ending videos you unlock IIRC.

Maybe try to finish the game once completely before watching. And with that I mean completing a full run.

Spoiler

Maybe you reached Mom already. At first the game ends there but you can unlock some more chapters with more won runs.

Edited by MarkusT1992

Well, if I can get enough work done today (Wednesday), I foresee being able to spend several hours on gaming today or at least tomorrow, meaning I can finally start participating in this event, and actually read other people's progress as well. Need to remember to de-privatise my trophies so I can check my starting stats.

No clue which game I want to start on yet. Any people have any strong opinions on any of my games?

Transistor - Valley - SOMA - MagRunner - Rayman 3.