Rumour: Update 6.00 added the ability to change PSN names & Sony is waiting until PSX to enable it

Azaan60

Would be a nice way to finish the year.

Don't really care for cross-play as i mostly play SP games, however i know people want it and it should have happened ages ago.

PS Now isn't available here in Australia yet so, meh...

As for name changes, holy shit would that be cool. Mind you i've had 2 previous account's that i've abandoned due to the ID. The ID i have now is perfect for me, so i won't need to change. Hopefully people can finally get rid of there XxxNoScopEzXxx ID's by the years end.  

This will be interesting, thanks for posting @Azaan60 

I used to be a huge EverQuest gamer(another Sony property) and had a friend who named his toon Fingerpop. He got reported and Sony changed his name to "Niceties", which I thought was so gay it was funny.

Will Sony do that now instead of outright bans? Will people who have banned profiles be able to reclaim and rename them? Or will whatever new policy Sony come up with only be "go forward"?

Get your popcorn ready because no matter what there is drama coming over the horizon?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Azaan60 said:

Shawn Layden has previously indicated he’d love to stop answering name change questions be the time PSX 2018 arrives.

Not quite true. Shawn actually said...

"I hope we'll see events occur that you won't have to ask me that question next PSX."

Next PSX still has not been announced and might never happen.

Now of course it will, and PSN name changes will also come, I think most people are expecting that now and have been for the past year since Shawn's statement.

The fact that there was seemingly very little in 6.0 heavily suggests that there are hidden features, which only serves as even more weight.

I read somewhere a while ago (cant remember where) the out line for the PSN name change and how it will work.

Your current PSN name will stay the same on SONY's server even after you change it, but you will be assigned a new unique name that you choose and this will be your new PSN name as far as everyone can see you. The new name will be a layer on top of your original name.

Once you change your name your original name will not be available for anyone else to use as it will remain on SONY's server as your trace name, this is the only way SONY could allow name changes in the first place, the only way to was create an additional 'layer' on top of your original account with your new name laid onto it. Any one with intentions of changing their original name to something else and then free up their original name to create a new account with that name will be disappointed. 

At least thats what the article I read said, and to be fair just like most things on line, it could just be nonsense.

We shall see, but yes, PSN names are coming, that is almost a given at this stage.

• Like 1

Over 10 years ago when I first got my PS3 I just wanted to start gaming right away and put no thought into my ID whatsoever. Had I known it would be a forever thing I probably would have come up with something better lol.

It's good that we'll have the option to change it but at this point in my life I really couldn't care less! It not like it affects my gaming or anything else so fook it :)

So "Cross-play" would mean that we will finally be able to play any PS3 game on a PS4 console? If so, that is awesome! It will be great to be able to own physical copies of games instead of always relying on digital-only. Should anything happen to your account, then all those digital-only games will become null and void, and will have to resort to re-buying those games that you didn't get to finish.

58 minutes ago, GarciaFever said:

So "Cross-play" would mean that we will finally be able to play any PS3 game on a PS4 console? If so, that is awesome! It will be great to be able to own physical copies of games instead of always relying on digital-only. Should anything happen to your account, then all those digital-only games will become null and void, and will have to resort to re-buying those games that you didn't get to finish.

No cross-play means to play against people on other platforms, Xbox, Switch, PC etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarciaFever said:

You're thinking of backwards compatibility, cross-play would mean that people on fortnite can play against people on the xbox one, nintendo switch, and pc as PS4 owners. There's a couple games that already have cross-play with FF14 and DCUO

• Like 1

Yeah I was wondering why the 6.00 update was piss poor, It makes sense now. I'm glad to see cross-play arriving. I don't really care for name changes or PS now, but i guess if you want to change your name you have the option now i suppose. I made my ID 8 years ago and I'm still happy with it so I highly doubt I'll be changing my ID.