Shadows Die Twice | Review Thread

Ghost

No surprise here...FromSoftware has done it again!

sekiro-feature-e1553079758459.png?fit=1483,835&ssl=1

mighty-man.png 

REVIEWS

METACRITIC
91 OPENCRITIC (based on 37 reviews so far)

IGN - 9.5/10

Sekiro evolves From Software’s formula into a stylish stealth-action adventure that, naturally, emphasizes precision and skill in its combat. It walks the line between deliberate and patient stealth and breakneck melee combat against threats both earthly and otherworldly. Its imaginative and flexible tools support a more focused experience that shaves down some of From Software’s overly cryptic sensibilities without losing its air of mystery. Sekiro is an amazing new twist on a familiar set of ideas that can stand on its own alongside its predecessors.

GameSpot - 9/10

Sekiro marries From Software's unique brand of gameplay with stealth action to deliver an experience that is as challenging as it is gratifying.

Game Informer - 9/10

Sekiro is one of the most difficult games I have ever played, but for those seeking adventure, exploration, and a truly realized ninja fantasy, the trek is worth the high demands.

Press-Start AU - 9/10

Sekiro is admittedly lacking the over-the-top spectacle of games like Devil May Cry and God of War but since it substitutes it with such a distinct charisma, it’s hard to be upset about it.

PlayStation Lifestyle - 9.5/10

Untethered from the expectations that come with a Dark Souls or Bloodborne game, FromSoftware was able to create a game that maintains the studio's unique identity while allowing them to explore interesting new mechanics and ways of telling the story. Sekiro is challenging, but fair—a game with the goal of allowing the player to grow, rather than the avatar. It blends mechanics and narrative in a way that is too rare in games today, allowing for a deep level of immersion that begs for just one more clash of blades no matter how difficult the encounters get. Seeing each one to its bloody finish is well worth the trials it takes to get there.

Polygon - Extremely Positive

Rarely do my insights or incremental improvements give me anything close to an easy win, but Sekiro isn’t difficult for difficult’s sake. It gives me hints, but no roadmap. It implies. It finds ways to reward me when I read between the lines. It hands me my ass when I try something a little too clever or panicked or cheap, but it gives me victories when I act with care and react with considered split-second decisions. This is the skill that Sekirochallenges me to accumulate, and it never lets me forget that. Even though it can take hours of controller-throwing frustration to defeat seemingly insurmountable odds, perseverance begets pleasure. I won that battle because it could be done. I solved the puzzle. I am a shinobi god.

COGConnected - 88/100

Overall, I can’t get enough of Sekiro despite being terrible at playing it. It’s a great evolution of the Soulsborne experience with impressive new traversal and combat mechanics in a beautiful world loaded with odd characters and challenging enemies. I’m excited to jump into my second playthrough to find any areas or bosses I missed initially, as well as continue to upgrade my Shinobi Tools and combat abilities.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5/5

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a truly new expression of the design philosophy that FromSoftware has spent years refining. Shifting gears a bit in the setting, story, and gameplay, the spirit of Dark Souls is still clearly the driving factor here.

VG247 - Extremely Positive

Sekiro is a game a lot of people are going to bounce off. It’s one for the “git gud” crowd – for people who want a feeling of accomplishment, rather than the fake achievement you feel from finding some Level 20 Pants in most modern triple-A experiences. It’s FromSoftware at its most confident, at its most unapologetic. It’s Bloodborne but faster, with fewer crutches yet somehow more fair. It’s also one of the best games released so far in what’s already looking like a strong 2019.

PowerUp - 9.9/10

I feel bad for any other games releasing in 2019 because as far as I’m concerned, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice has game of the year all sewn up.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an incredible blend of story, gameplay and world design. I don't think it trumps Bloodborne, personally, but it may well be the next best game that FromSoftware has created. It definitely has the most experimental aspects and rises above so many of its peers because it dares to punish you for not paying attention. As ever, the elation you find when overcoming a challenge is unparalleled. This is one for the masochists and the hard-headed, but it will welcome any who have the patience to learn it. Sekiro is bloody brilliant.

Kotaku - Positive

In all, Sekiro has been difficult to master but has never felt unfair. I found myself actually, sincerely getting good, and the process felt great.

Atomix - 95/100

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a masterpiece that you can not miss for nothing.

Telegraph - 5/5

After a particular troubling encounter with a boss, I finally felled the great oaf in a spectacular fountain of blood with only a sliver of my own health remaining. I leapt from my seat, heart racing, any maddening moments forgotten, made worthwhile in an unbridled moment of thrilling triumph. In creating those moments, and in its ability to forge its own inimitable style of video games, From Software remain peerless.
Edited by Ghost
  • Like 4

Yeah... this is the case where I don't give a single f... about the reviews. I can guarantee you, 95% of the reviews available today aren't based on the full game. The game is long and there were very few review codes sent out. All the reviews available now are rushed for clicks.

The game is long and I don't believe at all, that those reviewers finished it already as I read a bit through some of them and they mostly mention only the first areas in the game ^^

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Yeah... this is the case where I don't give a single f... about the reviews. I can guarantee you, 95% of the reviews available today aren't based on the full game. The game is long and there were very few review codes sent out. All the reviews available now are rushed for clicks.

The game is long and I don't believe at all, that those reviewers finished it already as I read a bit through some of them and they mostly mention only the first areas in the game ^^

A german gaming and reviewing website I usually check for new games, just released an update, saying they have to postpone their review due to the lenght and difficulty of the game. They were able to play the game for a few days now. (Probably last week/weekend) So far they gave the game a "hit-potential". 

It's hard to say, if other reviewers finished the game or not, but I think it doesnt matter that much, because everyone liked what they have been playing so far.

I simply cant wait to play it tonight.

Will you guys play it on Japanese or English localization? I kinda tend to Japenese though I havent played anything on Japanese before.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 1

On the IGN review, it says "As I rolled credits after 50 hours of pressurized-blood-geyser executions, fantastical monster fights, split-second swordsmanship, and sprawling, secret-filled areas, I’m left with a deep appreciation for this amazing journey and the skills it demands to master it."

11 minutes ago, Mori said:

Will you guys play it on Japanese or English localization? I kinda tend to Japenese though I havent played anything on Japanese before.

For me, it has to be Japanese w/ subtitles for sure

Edited by Ghost

6 minutes ago, Mori said:

Will you guys play it on Japanese or English localization?

I dunno why would someone play the game set in Japanese setting on English.

P.S. Yet I played Metro on English, but I have a firm belief that russian localisation simply can't be good.

1 hour ago, Happy said:

These scores are more or less what i’d expected. Does any site go into detail on the technical performance on different platforms?

Was trying to get some info on this but this is the only one I could find.

Digital Foundry covers the PS4 Pro version here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-ps4-pro-first-look

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-performance-analysis

Edited by Ghost

2 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Does NA version has Jp voice acting in game with Eng. subs?

The german version has GER, ENG and JP localization, so I guess you're good. Subs will most definitely be available in different languages aswell.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Does NA version has Jp voice acting in game with Eng. subs?

Yup, that's confirmed

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Terarded said:

Anyone else well and truly having their ass handed to them beyond any soulsborne entry before or have i lost my edge? I'm usually half way through the game by the time I've died this many times

Haha same man it's rough as, this game is brutalising me

1 hour ago, Terarded said:

Anyone else well and truly having their ass handed to them beyond any soulsborne entry before or have i lost my edge? I'm usually half way through the game by the time I've died this many times

Not just you, but in the beginning of my walkthrough i was getting destroyed, but i stopped playing like souls and went more aggressive. I played it more like Ninja Gaiden where you think quickly on the spot during fights and when not in fights use stealth to my advantage.

But damn I've played like 17 hours, only two major bosses down and like 12 minibosses wtf lol.

19 hours ago, Akrioz said:

I dunno why would someone play the game set in Japanese setting on English.

P.S. Yet I played Metro on English, but I have a firm belief that russian localisation simply can't be good.

Maybe because you want to know what's going on and don't know Japanese.

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

Off-topic from the reviews but the Sekiro Xbox One X Limited Edition looks amazing vv

Hide contents

9qewcrd9afn21.png

Holy shit, that looks awesome.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:34 AM, Terarded said:

I haven't played it yet, but I hear a lot of people having trouble with it. The trick is, don't treat it like a Souls game. It isn't. Sekiro is its own entity. It definitely looks like Dark Souls at first glance, but if you're spamming R1 and trying to dodge endlessly, you're going to be in for a lot of pain.

Parrying and attacking strategically is the way of the shinobi.