Why is this game allowed?

weavsxx

So how many of you are going to buy this game anyway?

For those that disagree with WB and Netherrealm's current direction, boycott is the only way to really get your point across. You need to prove that you're their main demograph and that their bottomline will gravely suffer from it if they don't change. You need to hurt their wallets, not attack their feelings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vergil said:

Honestly the protect the children argument is just silly. How many kids below 10 years of age these days don't have a smartphone. They have access to much more than a simple booty on a game. And here in Sweden they teach about sex very early in schools. 

I don't know how things are in sweden but I've experienced two countries, japan and canada, both upper middle class suburbia, and I can honestly say I haven't seen any kids under 10 that have smartphones...or was that your point?...

with regards to sexuality, and as a parent of young children, although my kids do often spend more time in a day with their teachers than with my wife or I, I see it as our responsibilty to teach/coach our kids about things like sex, drugs, money, friendship, trust, etc. and not the education system...my wife and I research and communicate regularly on how and when we go about addressing these types of things and what our short and long-term goals are...we also try to share our thoughts, ideas and actions with other parents in hopes of us all evolving in community "wisdom"...

one of the hardest parts for me is not being a hypocrite...example: we have a "no extensive recreational media use rule" that applies to TV, video games, phones, etc...that means that my time using this site, playing video games, browsing random $hit on my phone, etc. must also be limited in order to set the example...

I also have a bit of trouble with when to draw the line of what I consider good vs. bad as being universal...i made some pretty crazy decisions as a youth that led me down an extended road of drug abuse, violence, and criminality...the thing is though is that it taught me so much about life that if I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I'd tread the same path...as a result, i find it hard to be the judge of what is best for my kids' evolution since I've learned that sometimes the worst choices can lead to the greatest outcomes...there seems to be a fine line between letting them be who they are and wanting to step in as a guiding force...

and speaking of fine lines, there also seems to be one for trauma vs education that my wife and i constantly try to factor in to the equation...case in point: our son has enjoyed masturbation since he was like 2 years old...we thought it was a bit odd at first like "isn't he too young for this?" but further research led to us realizing it was pretty normal behavior...if we go too far into the topic of masturbation/sex with him it can lead to trauma but if we don't acknowledge/accept it, it can lead to shame and problems with his sexuality later on...so at this point he is aware that the thing he enjoys touching is called a penis but that the best place to rub it is when he is by himself...haha...

with regards to the topic, I think it is the duty of parents to buy age-appropriate content not based on a rating on a box (although I think the guideline is very important as a starting point) but on their kids level of moral evolution...unfortunately, not all parents think this way so the topic of censorship comes up as a way to seemingly limit the worst-case scenario, youth who have no such guidance who have access to this type of media...

in the case of mortal kombat, I'm not sure I would classify cleavage more or less harmful than extreme violence so it does feel a little social justicy over greater good to censor one over the other...for the record, i'm ok with both as long as the game is rated appropriately...m-rating for sexuality, drug use, violence?...ok, my kids will not be playing it yet...too immature...

a little off topic: I came across a study a while back that teens who experience violent actions like rape and murder through media are often less likely to mimic these types of behaviors since they actually go through the feelings of guilt/remorse at that point...the youth who were already expressing aggressive tendencies in their daily lives were more likely to seek and be fuelled by such media...the key element?...good parenting...

bottom line: it's our job as parents/family/the older generation to do our best to guide the younger generations to what we believe is right or wrong, to monitor their behaviour, to communicate with them (which often means just listening), to share our experiences, to solve problems together, and to lead by example and evolve together (amongst other things)...no amount of censorship will ever be able to do that for us...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I don't know how things are in sweden but I've experienced two countries, japan and canada, both upper middle class suburbia, and I can honestly say I haven't seen any kids under 10 that have smartphones...or was that your point?...

with regards to sexuality, and as a parent of young children, although my kids do often spend more time in a day with their teachers than with my wife or I, I see it as our responsibilty to teach/coach our kids about things like sex, drugs, money, friendship, trust, etc. and not the education system...my wife and I research and communicate regularly on how and when we go about addressing these types of things and what our short and long-term goals are...we also try to share our thoughts, ideas and actions with other parents in hopes of us all evolving in community "wisdom"...the hardest part for me is not being a hypocrite...example: we have a "no extensive recreational media use rule" that applies to TV, video games, phones, etc...that means that my time using this site, playing video games, browsing random $hit on my phone, etc. must also be limited in order to set the example...

with regards to the topic, I think it is the duty of parents to buy age-appropriate content not based on a rating on a box (although I think the guideline is very important as a starting point) but on their kids level of moral evolution...unfortunately, not all parents think this way so the topic of censorship comes up as a way to seemingly limit the worst-case scenario, youth who have no such guidance who have access to this type of media...

in this case, I'm not sure I would classify cleavage more or less harmful than extreme violence so it does feel a little social justicy to censor one over the other...for the record, i'm ok with both as long as the game is rated appropriately...m-rating for sexuality, drug use, violence?...ok, my kids will not be playing it yet...too immature...

a little off topic: I came across a study a while back that teens who experience violent actions like rape and murder through media are often less likely to mimic these types of behaviors since they actually go through the feelings of guilt/remorse at that point...the youth who were already expressing aggressive tendencies in their daily lives were more likely to seek and be fuelled by such media...the key element?...good parenting...

bottom line: it's our job as parents/family/the older generation to do our best to guide the younger generations to what we believe is right or wrong, to monitor their behaviour, to communicate with them (which often means just listening), to share our experiences, to solve problems together, and to lead by example and evolve together (amongst other things)...no amount of censorship will ever be able to do that for us...

Its actually crazy here with the smartphones. They even did a test for kids. What they want for xmas present. Like 9/10 said an iPhone. And all were below 10 years. Its Daily here that kids run around with smartphones taking selfies and stuff like that. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vergil said:

Its actually crazy here with the smartphones. They even did a test for kids. What they want for xmas present. Like 9/10 said an iPhone. And all were below 10 years. Its Daily here that kids run around with smartphones taking selfies and stuff like that. 

this is interesting and I'd be curious to see data on how many people who influence these kids in their daily lives have smartphones, how much time they spend using them, and on what...as in business/education/communication vs. recreational use...

On 4/17/2019 at 0:17 PM, Katt said:

Because it's a AAA and it's untouchable, and to be honest, that's fucking ridiculous. The hypocrisy here with Sony is beyond any comprehension.

Uh... We're gonna need some proof for that if you really think so.

3 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Uh... We're gonna need some proof for that if you really think so.

This is the Internet my dear. No need for veritable proof, logic and reason when you have feelings and RAAAAAAGGGEEEE!!!!!

Anyone and everyone who disagrees with a perceived consensus, even if parroted by an immature, rash and delirious majority, is a scumbag and an enabler. 

DUH. 

Just now, TheLakota said:

This is the Internet my dear. No need for veritable proof, logic and reason when you have feelings and RAAAAAAGGGEEEE!!!!!

Anyone and everyone who disagrees with a perceived consensus, even if parroted by an immature, rash and delirious majority, is a scumbag and an enabler. 

DUH. 

I can see that. Such is life.

@weavsxx One thing I forgot to say in my first post was that MK11 is banned in Japan for excessive violence and Gore.

So unlike in the US, Mortal Kombat 11 is not allowed to be sold in Japan. I believe Mortal Kombat X was also not sold in japan.

I thought someone in this thread would have brought this up by now considering the topic, but it looks like no one did. :dunno:

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, soultaker655 said:

@weavsxx One thing I forgot to say in my first post was that MK11 is banned in Japan for excessive violence and Gore.

So unlike in the US, Mortal Kombat 11 is not allowed to be sold in Japan. I believe Mortal Kombat X was also not sold in japan.

I thought someone in this thread would have brought this up by now considering the topic, but it looks like no one did. :dunno:

Ah, there's that whole logic and reason thing I mentioned. And yet, this post will be ignored in favor of the aforementioned feelings and rage. 

On 4/17/2019 at 11:42 AM, weavsxx said:

I'm not against it, but when you are going to put light beams over Trish's butt in DMC5, censoring any trace of sexual themes in Japanese games and so forth, then why is brutal murder okay?

Sony answered today on their censorship policies, it's to protect children (Source)

"A Sony spokeswoman confirmed the company has established its own guidelines "so that creators can offer well- balanced content on the platform" and gaming "does not inhibit the sound growth and development" of young people. She declined to say when these guidelines were introduced or to discuss them in detail."

The developers of MK confirmed they've covered the ladies in this game to appear more mature and respectful (Source) and while I respect design choices, most original MK male fighters are in their bare chest, does this mean scantily clad female fighters are taboo but men aren't? Why isn't Sony letting the rating boards do their job and why are developers afraid of sex appeal in their games nowadays? It's so obvious they're just doing this because of their own agendas...

Supposedly capcom did it on their own just in case. The problem here is that it doesn’t look good when the games in question are typically underage anime girls

9 hours ago, Durandal said:

-snip-

Your post is too long for me to bother quoting and I don’t want to make this longer than I already am making it. 

For a little history, both of my parents had to go to church. I never saw the purpose of church. People have called me an atheist in the past, when in reality I just think of Christianity as a giant farce. Religion in general is a fairy tale, and I’m not afraid to admit it. 

On many accounts, the people who have gone to great lengths to try to censor video games, at least here in America are either social justice warriors, or older people with a religious background. It is fear of the unknown, but rather than learn about it they simply shun it. 

Elvis was opposed against because he made a new genre of music popular and his dancing style offended older people. So they cut off the lower half of his body from being shown during the second time he was dancing on TV. This censoring would happen again a decade later when the Hippie Movement came to being. People thought the youth was being corrupted by drugs and the hippie way of thinking. They found out later that trying to censor that was all a bunch of nonsense. 

Going back to that 19 year old kid in Germany, there are sadly a lot of guys out there like him who need mental counseling. I tend to find America, Canada, the UK, Germany, and to a lesser extent Australia share a lot of the same values. Unfortunately a lot of the older women and gentlemen who run these countries tend to do a lot to try to censor video games and other mediums, for the sake of our children. 

Up until Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, swastikas were strictly banned in Germany. I feel they never should of been censored but I also understand most of you Germans have very strong feelings about the history of the Nazis. While it took a long time, it was simply progress because those who tried to censor swastikas have finally admitted defeat. 

In conclusion, this is a generational cycle. Generations of the past were opposed against rock music. It is the dawn and coming of new technology that makes us afraid, and we shun this technology instead of accepting it in our lives. 

My generation is basically the video game generation. But when the time comes, we will probably try to censor artificial intelligence, which is likely to be the next big thing in human evolution. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Your post is too long for me to bother quoting and I don’t want to make this longer than I already am making it. 

For a little history, both of my parents had to go to church. I never saw the purpose of church. People have called me an atheist in the past, when in reality I just think of Christianity as a giant farce. Religion in general is a fairy tale, and I’m not afraid to admit it. 

On many accounts, the people who have gone to great lengths to try to censor video games, at least here in America are either social justice warriors, or older people with a religious background. It is fear of the unknown, but rather than learn about it they simply shun it. 

Elvis was opposed against because he made a new genre of music popular and his dancing style offended older people. So they cut off the lower half of his body from being shown during the second time he was dancing on TV. This censoring would happen again a decade later when the Hippie Movement came to being. People thought the youth was being corrupted by drugs and the hippie way of thinking. They found out later that trying to censor that was all a bunch of nonsense. 

Going back to that 19 year old kid in Germany, there are sadly a lot of guys out there like him who need mental counseling. I tend to find America, Canada, the UK, Germany, and to a lesser extent Australia share a lot of the same values. Unfortunately a lot of the older women and gentlemen who run these countries tend to do a lot to try to censor video games and other mediums, for the sake of our children. 

Up until Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, swastikas were strictly banned in Germany. I feel they never should of been censored but I also understand most of you Germans have very strong feelings about the history of the Nazis. While it took a long time, it was simply progress because those who tried to censor swastikas have finally admitted defeat. 

In conclusion, this is a generational cycle. Generations of the past were opposed against rock music. It is the dawn and coming of new technology that makes us afraid, and we shun this technology instead of accepting it in our lives. 

My generation is basically the video game generation. But when the time comes, we will probably try to censor artificial intelligence, which is likely to be the next big thing in human evolution. 

Enough, man. Stop trying to piss off people with comments like this. You said you were attacked on other forums because of your opinions, now I and others are starting to see why. It's because your opinions rubbed people the wrong way and let's not forget the thread you made.

4 hours ago, PFinchen said:

Ahhh yiss, the old “blame video games for societies woes.” Can somebody trot out Marilyn Manson as the target of our ire, just for nostalgias sake?

I wonder what made Spartans so violent.... god of war didn’t exist back then... 

also speaking of god of war, Alamogordo every god of war game had a sex mini game in it ? a sony exclusive too 

Edited by dvdmanager
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Enough, man. Stop trying to piss off people with comments like this. You said you were attacked on other forums because of your opinions, now I and others are starting to see why. It's because your opinions rubbed people the wrong way and let's not forget the thread you made.

How is this comment I just made going to piss people off? Comparing this to the thread I made is just ridiculous.

You just earned a spot on my Ignore list, so good day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

snip

I agree with generations thing, but the social justice censorship comes from relatively young people, not old. In fact, old school feminists are far more moderate and sensible compared to modern Resetera gestapo.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

I agree with generations thing, but the social justice censorship comes from relatively young people, not old. In fact, old school feminists are far more moderate and sensible compared to modern Resetera gestapo.

I very much feel these young social justice warriors are snowflakes. And to a great extent I have to label them as such. Many can't accept an opinion unless it agrees with their own. That is a fascist way of thinking.

The old school feminists were more down to earth, even though some of them probably came from a background where their parents and relatives hated minorities. I can't speak for any other country but America since I don't know much about the history of censorship in other countries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

Well you know, there is a big difference between random musics, or intelligence with the potential to enslave us. Not all "evolutions"  are possible, some, dare I say it, are devolutioms.

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Well you know, there is a big difference between random musics, or intelligence with the potential to enslave us. Not all "evolutions"  are possible, some, dare I say it, are devolutioms.

Think social justice warriors with an iron grip, extreme left wing liberals and right wing conservatives, and the desire to empower.

The Fall of Rome and the coming of the Dark Ages is one. Adolf Hitler's rise in the 1930s and the Nazi party was another.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Think social justice warriors with an iron grip, extreme left wing liberals and right wing conservatives, and the desire to empower.

The Fall of Rome and the coming of the Dark Ages is one. Adolf Hitler's rise in the 1930s and the Nazi party was another.

I think you are wasting your potential on here. I actually enjoy a lot of your writing but I think you could find a better avenue to channel it. This site is great for what it is, gaming but I am sure you would concede political ideology, social constructivism and personal influence are better explored in a more focused environment. I hope you look into it, I feel you might find more traction and maybe a greater back and forth which always leads to growth on both sides. 

I wanted to quote you hear because it made me smile, I don’t necessarily agree with you but I like dark wit and the analogy you draw. It is begging for healthy debate. 

Edit : Completely unrelated to the thread but I Preordered MK11. Woohoo. 

Edited by cjshaitan
  • Like 1

Here is one thing that I never understood. Sony and them have to censor any form of nudity so as to keep everyone from going all ape shit, but when we go to the beach, or even to a pool, on a hit summer day, and there are a lot of women in somewhat scantily clad swimsuits (where their boobs are almost hanging out), nobody gives a shit?

Isn't this a form of double-standard or something?

Edited by GarciaFever
  • Like 1