5 Most Underrated Games of the Generation

4 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Mafia III - so much hate for such an addictive game

The End Is Nigh - action platformer fan's wet dream convicted to linger in other platformers' shadow

Unravel - beautiful platformer, one of the best indie games

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare - even haters of online shooters can get a lot of fun from this title

Snake Pass - another very unique and pretty "platformer"

Mafia 3  is a great choice and is absolutely a great and fun game. Can’t believe it didn’t do as good as it should have.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Mafia 3  is a great choice and is absolutely a great and fun game. Can’t believe it didn’t do as good as it should have.

I have to agree.

It was criticized for it's repetitive nature and amount of bugs on release. But I absolutely, absolutely fucking love the music. The characters all did a fine job in portraying the time period of the 1960s. Got to give the developers extra pointers for including signs that said "No Colored People Allowed", because historically that is what happened.

This is probably why I loved LA Noire for the same reasons as I enjoyed Mafia 3.

• Like 1

Too many to choose from...

Notables:

Agents of Mayhem, Little Nightmares, Watch_Dogs, Bendy, Black the Fall, Inside, Unravel, Hitman, Mafia III, Driveclub, Onrush, Gravity Rush, Flame in the Flood, Last Guardian, Pyre, Yakuza.

Order 1886 - Loved the settinig (Tesla!). This was also the groundwork for the world/series they built. Devs want to make another, but it probably won't happen.

Titanfall 2 - Definitely one of the greatest. Have it on PC and spent 200+ hours on MP. Grabbed it on PS4 as well. If you haven't tried it yet, grab it on sell. You won't be disappointed. Trust me ?

No Man Sky - Only game I've Platinum and keeping installed. Also have it on PC. So much fun. Love the updates. Great devs on a big project. Honestly it was a good game at the start.

Starting Murdered Soul Suspect soon. I moved it up in my backlog. Can't wait.

12 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

That being said, any game could technically be considered underrated just as any game can be overrated. It's the personal subjective view that it deserves differently to the attention it actually got. 

Indeed ?

9 hours ago, Chocolat_GiddyUp said:

I can understand your choices for underrated games, but why Wolfenstein: The New Order?

I checked the Wikipedia article. Metacritic score across all three platofrms is 79 plus, it sold well in a saturated genre (FPS), won numerous awards, and spawned an expansion and a sequel.

Can you go into further detail why you didn't like the New Colossus.

I want to play/plat the series, but I'm not sure if I want to play Wolfenstein 3D, Wolfenstein 2009, and the New Colossus.

This is going to be a long message, I'm sorry. First 2 paragraphs are regarding my views on TNO, the rest on II: TNC as per your request.

You'd be surprised how many people gave it a 6, 7 or 7.5 at the time (Eurogamer, Destructoid, Joystiq), and I only ever saw one credible review that was a 9 (Polygon), which is ludicrous. I am a supporter of Metacritic as it usually removes anomalies for consensus threads to inform decision making, but I find that gameplay and technical efficacy get prioritized over substance and value in the FPS market. For II to get 10% higher on MC is absolutely insane in my opinion, I'll go into that later. Regarding the sequel thing, Wolfenstein one of the founding FPS IP's.  Wolfenstein had a self-titled game 5 years before that flopped, and the fact the IP still lived on doesn't surprise me. Bethesda also has a habit of making stand-alone sequels. They did it with The Old Blood, Death of the Outsider (Dishonored), Typhon Hunter (Prey, if you count it), and I'm sure they'll make an expansion to more games in the future (as a quick aside, Standalone expansions >>>>>> DLC in my opinion).

Wolfenstein did get some nominations, but 2014 was a pretty quiet year and still lost out to rather inferior games (ignoring Dark Souls II, I can't really comment on that). Anecdotally, I find it gets boxed into that decent or "worth a playthrough" category. For me, it genuinely reignited my love for FPS shooters. 79% indicates a solid game; this is a truly amazing game, and with the exception of possibly DOOM I haven't played a better FPS since. This game is extremely well made, fun to play, and has an outstanding story. The gameplay is action-packed, brash, brutal but the narrative is actually very nuanced and considered, and the pacing of the levels in both variety, narrative and setting is very well done. I never thought I'd emotionally connect with BJ Blazkowicz but here we are. I perceive the game to have a bit of a cult following with people who value it similar to myself, but it definitely doesn't have a lasting impression to many.  The Old Blood was good, too (obviously very similar). 

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is a whole other monster. I'll predicate this by saying two things; 1) I came in a little more emotionally invested in the series than others may have, as I was obviously quite a big fan by that point so it wouldn't be fair to say this is isn't a terrible game (although I genuinely think its mediocre) 2) If you're looking to platinum the series you're in for a hell of a ride with this one. Wolfenstein: TNO and Wolfenstein: TNO are around a 3/10 or 4/10 to platinum and aren't massive investments of time (maybe 25 - 35 hours), no issues there. Wolfenstein II is incredibly hard to platinum due to Mein Leben, it really is no joke and whilst many have done it I'd argue its one of the most challenging trophies to ever come out (was slightly over-killed by the community, although IMO still a bit too much to ask for) 

Now onto the game. The best summary I can give is that if Wolfenstein: TNO is about substance, Wolfenstein II: TNC is purely about style. It does a good job at creating incredibly fluid FPS shooting in the way that iD software games do (I know this is MachineGames, but iD created Wolfenstein and the resemblance is undeniable), and weapons feel good. Quite varied too, and the customization was a welcome change. For me, though, the developers sacrificed the essence of what made TNO and TOB good to enhance this strength, but it backfires. What made the other games special was 1) Narrative delivery, 2) Level Design, and 3) The balance between challenge and badassery. In my opinion, this game utterly ruins all three.

Regarding the narrative and level design, I'll start by saying the game has no real pacing. Its levels are more hub-based, which is fine, but it ruins the sense of journey and progression the game is structured around (I have similar criticisms of Metro: Exodus, although that game is much better as a whole). This is maximized when the levels are all very drab ("beige") and pretty repetitive. In a game where you go to some pretty extreme places (no spoilers), this game is shockingly bland. Areas feel very samey, except in a few circumstances, and they are aesthetically very unappealing for the most part. The characters are very annoying, one-minded and void of any personality (aside from Anya) and BJ goes from being introspective and interesting to nihilistic and self-torturing on an almost Max Payne 3-esque level. The story is either wacky, or deadly serious, and it jars between the two like a car shunt. With the levels themselves, many (over half) levels can be glitched through in some way or another. Jumping through walls, swimming through the earth, completing skipping parts. It's so notorious that its the only feasible way of getting down a reliable strategy for Mein Leben. For me, there is no excuse to make levels SO broken.  

Regarding the third note, the game has completely skewed difficulty options. You're either blitzing through on the 2/3 easier difficulties or getting your ass handed to you. I'm probably around average, maybe slightly lower, but I can get through the hardest difficulty of most non-Souls or RTS type games. I could barely play this on normal, and to do so, I had to play in an incredibly boring way; creeping in and out of cover. Why give you this amazing arsenal and then ask you to self preserve CONSTANTLY, and not inflict? It's not what Wolfenstein should be about. I'm happy with the challenge, but this game felt unpredictable and unfair with its AI, and encourages you to play in a way that doesn't emphasize its only real strength; gameplay. This isn't helped when a lot of areas have a "stealth or you'll alert everyone" mechanic, either. 

I could go on, but this below video goes into some of the points I've mentioned, and more, in quite some detail and is an interesting watch. If you're going to play II: TNC, I'd recommend getting game pass on Xbox (if you have one) for a month as it's recently been put on there. 

Edited by phantomfear9494
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, phantomfear9494 said:

A LOT OF COOL STUFF

Bro, first of all don't apologize. I really appreciate your reply and read it twice. I will watch the video later.

Yes, I completely agree standalone expansions are my preference as well. I think my first expansion I ever bought was the Starcraft 1's Brood War back in 1998.

You're right, I think 2014 was a very quiet year. I think Dragon Age: Inquisition won many goty awards? LOL, anyways...

I really like your analysis of The New Order. It appeals to me. I like how you were able to connect with the main character, which is surprising for an FPS game.

I like how you said it revitalized the FPS genre. At first I thought, wait why not Bioshock, but then I remember, Bioshock came out 2007 and the New Order came out in 2014, that's a seven year difference.

"What made the other games special was 1) Narrative delivery, 2) Level Design, and 3) The balance between challenge and badassery "

I like this summary you give for TNO and I definitely want to play it now. The fact TNC lacks these three pillars makes me want to avoid it. I don't mind a challenge, but to invest so many hours into TNC for Mein Leben and the game has these problems and you can't skip cut scenes...Yeah no thanks. I like to give every game a chance, so I might just play it once on a semi-hard difficulty on an alt account or get it on PC.

I read the trophy guide for TNO, you can do a difficulty glitch, I will do it legit since you said the difficulty is well balanced in TNO.

Why give you this amazing arsenal and then ask you to self preserve CONSTANTLY, and not inflict?

That would frustrate the hell out of me, I agree.

Again, I really appreciate the long reply, thank you so much. You are a good writer and I like the way you think. When I play TNO I will give you my thoughts on it :)

Edited by Chocolat_GiddyUp

Will throw some love in for Prey as well. Game has potential to become the new System Shock 2 in terms of being a cult following sci-fi shooter RPG horror-y thing. Arkane are some of the only devs that truly make you feel like you can tackle a situation in whatever way you want. It's fantastic

Siralim as a series is excellent if you love old school RPGs, grinding, and collecting "pets" in games like Pokemon or SMT. The first game is pretty barebones and is mostly just grinding so you can get to your next batch of cool creatures to collect (and making super powerful versions of them), but as the series goes on, it introduces more features and mechanics to keep you working toward something.

Batman Arkham Knight is actually quite a bit of good fun. I know it got a lot of flak for a bad PC port and some other issues but I've been enjoying it so much. The movement around the environment is very fluid and fun and the different challenges and stuff are quite good (though I'm not a huge fan of the Riddler stuff!)

Gotta give some love to Under Night In-Birth Exe Late(st) as well. Under Night in general is one of the best fighting games I've played. It's got the neutral game of games like Street Fighter and Koihime Enbu along with the flashy anime combos of stuff like BlazBlue. French Bread also made Dengeki Bunko, another favorite of mine, but the PS4 version of that is JP only right now sadly. Check out UNIST though if you want an excellent fighter!

Shoppe Keep is a store management game in the same vein as Moonlighter or Recettear, though it's not quite as popular as either. It's chill fun and I really hope we get Shoppe Keep 2 on PS4 sometime soon 

• Like 2

The Sexy Brutale - My favourite puzzle game of this genration.

Danganronpa V3 - Yeah, it had pacing issues, some of the minigames were bad and it overexplained everything but i still loved my experience with it.

Dishonered 2 - How is it possible that nobody talks about this game. It is better version of Dishonered one with better mechanics, graphics and a lot more fun.

Prey - I got vibes of System Shock 2 out of it so it claimed its place as one of my favourite sci-fi game.

Toky Xanadu Ex+ - Falcom are truly incapable of doing anything bad. I hope that it will get a sequel.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chocolat_GiddyUp said:

Bro, first of all don't apologize. I really appreciate your reply and read it twice. I will watch the video later.

Yes, I completely agree standalone expansions are my preference as well. I think my first expansion I ever bought was the Starcraft 1's Brood War back in 1998.

You're right, I think 2014 was a very quiet year. I think Dragon Age: Inquisition won many goty awards? LOL, anyways...

I really like your analysis of The New Order. It appeals to me. I like how you were able to connect with the main character, which is surprising for an FPS game.

I like how you said it revitalized the FPS genre. At first I thought, wait why not Bioshock, but then I remember, Bioshock came out 2007 and the New Order came out in 2014, that's a seven year difference.

"What made the other games special was 1) Narrative delivery, 2) Level Design, and 3) The balance between challenge and badassery "

I like this summary you give for TNO and I definitely want to play it now. The fact TNC lacks these three pillars makes me want to avoid it. I don't mind a challenge, but to invest so many hours into TNC for Mein Leben and the game has these problems and you can't skip cut scenes...Yeah no thanks. I like to give every game a chance, so I might just play it once on a semi-hard difficulty on an alt account or get it on PC.

I read the trophy guide for TNO, you can do a difficulty glitch, I will do it legit since you said the difficulty is well balanced in TNO.

Why give you this amazing arsenal and then ask you to self preserve CONSTANTLY, and not inflict?

That would frustrate the hell out of me, I agree.

Again, I really appreciate the long reply, thank you so much. You are a good writer and I like the way you think. When I play TNO I will give you my thoughts on it :)

No worries! Just to clarify, I'm not saying people should avoid TNC at all costs, but I personally think it was very disappointing and if people have played TNO/TOB first they will probably not enjoy it as much. Idk. 

Fun fact: BioShock Infinite and BioShock 1 are my 2nd and 3rd favorite games of all time respectively ?

• Like 1

Ok, this is easy.

FullBlast, Super Destronaut, Midnight Deluxe, Jack N’ Jill DX, and InkSplosion!  Oh, no I didn’t.

My picks are:

1) The Crew As a racer this was adept, but I enjoyed exploring, cruising around, finding different landmarks and activities (award points) to check off.  

2) Star Wars: Battlefront No single player campaign but the multiplayer was a lot of fun.  The maps were great, plenty of different modes (Cargo and Droid Run my favorites), progression system and Star cards well done, and sound and visuals on point.  The sequel to this was a disappointment.

3) Rock Band 4 This was released scaled back but they kept adding content and the addition of Rivals mode (weekly challenges with your crew) and Skill Level (keep trying to improve my score/stars on songs to increase this) meant I play this a lot!

4) Detroit: Become Human Still prefer Heavy Rain as my favorite from Quantic Dream but this one stands up well in its own right.  Good story and voice acting and playing through for different results never felt like a chore.

5) Mafia III I can’t believe I haven’t played Mafia II yet (backlog) but I enjoyed this one a lot.  A little repetitive but the story is strong and New Orleans is a great venue and I love the music.  WRNX or whatever the classic rock station is has to be my favorite in any video game.  Like The Crew, I could just get lost in driving around and doing miscellaneous activities.

Honorable Mention: Pinball FX3 So much fun to just play casually or go after all the trophies (very rewarding to achieve).  They keep adding tables and this one has a lot more extras than Zen Pinball 2 as far as special challenges and I enjoy unlocking the secret character rewards.

Edited by djb5f

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow of the Beast  - One of the most addictive and fluid Arkham-like combat systems out there but to unlock its full potential you need to play through the game multiple times. Same with the story, playing through the game once is not enough to fully see it. This fantastic re-imagining of a classic is excellent but not even all  those who have played it know about it fully.

Song of the Deep - Gorgeous and clever underwater Metroidvania from Insomniac Games that got panned for being hard and frustrating. Play it on Easy and you have a great game in my opinion.

Déraciné (PSVR) - Not a big and challenging game but the way it slowly unfolds its narrative and tells its story is masterful. A touching and beautiful game.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PSVR) - Secretly the best and most engrossing lightgun game out there. Looks great, has epic stages and bosses and VR adds tremendously to the immersion if played with two PS Moves. It may only be a few hours long but those hours it took are some of the best I've had this gen, any format.

Hyper Light Drifter - Acclaimed but often forgotten these days. Gorgeous pixel art and a mix between Souls and 2D Zelda might be a way to describe it. Very challenging exploration with lots of secrets to uncover. Great and hard boss fights.

Edited by iriihutoR84
  • Like 1

No specific order:

The Sexy Brutale

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Frantics (best PlayLink Title)

Yoku’s Island Express

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan

Dont know if these sold well, so consider these “honorable mentions”

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2

Guacamelee 2

Shantae 2: Pirate’s Curse

Maybe I should get Pray too... this threads motivates me to get it. Driveclub seems to be a nice game but the "best" (not underated" racing game have always been Gran Turismo despite it is not what it was back in the days when it was REALLY good. I think Absolute Drift was a decent game but not a top 5 most underated game. Mirrors Edge: Catalyst was good, and in the beggining I thought it was awesome but after playing it a bit I felt disapointment because it was nowhere close to the first Mirrors Edge and even a reboot. It should have been a reboot really if you ask me, so despite it's a good game I can't say I think it's underated to my personal opinion. I wish I could come up with a top 5 list of underrated PS4 game but I can't think of it. 

Maybe this is my top 3 list:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warefare - The campaign was horrible at the beginning but turned out really well to my opinion. The DLC zombies maps are the most fun especially Decent.

Shütshimi - A very simple yet very addicting game that was on PS+ some years ago

Destiny - This was a very popular game that I think should been even more popular. I just been missing some cutscenes except that it was an excellent game.