Unbearably loud fan makes this game almost unplayable for me

zeero7uk

My launch ps4 gets quite loud sometimes and I too replaced the thermal paste and cleaned everything out with compressed air (which did help) but it still gets loud. I did try putting it next to an open window yesterday and it was a lot quieter. I do remember it being incredibly loud this time last year when it was hot so part of the problem could very well be to do with room temperature.

Make sure it has a fair amount of space around it too.

Edited by olliebear66t

3 minutes ago, olliebear66t said:

My launch ps4 gets quite loud sometimes and I too replaced the thermal paste and cleaned everything out with compressed air (which did help) but it still gets loud. I did try putting it next to an open window yesterday and it was a lot quieter. I do remember it being incredibly loud this time last year when it was hot so part of the problem could very well be to do with room temperature.

Mine is in a cool room, and the fan is quiet in most games apart from the likes of Far Cry 5, Middle Earth:SoW etc where it goes into overdrive. This is reduced by turning off the HDR. The fan is triggered by the game, not temperature in these cases, as it happens from turn-on. The console is cold, but the fan is running full speed, which makes no sense. I can deal with fan noise, but the speed ramping up and down is irritating, especially since it does not occur in other demanding games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider.

2 minutes ago, The_Slugkiller said:

Mine is in a cool room, and the fan is quiet in most games apart from the likes of Far Cry 5, Middle Earth:SoW etc where it goes into overdrive. This is reduced by turning off the HDR. The fan is triggered by the game, not temperature in these cases, as it happens from turn-on. The console is cold, but the fan is running full speed, which makes no sense. I can deal with fan noise, but the speed ramping up and down is irritating, especially since it does not occur in other demanding games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The CPU getting hot is all that requires for the fan to kick in, usually when it gets to around 90 degrees Celsius is when they really get loud

11 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The CPU getting hot is all that requires for the fan to kick in, usually when it gets to around 90 degrees Celsius is when they really get loud

This is what you would expect but is clearly not the case when the fan runs at maximum speed when i play Star Wars BF2. From a cold start the fan runs at 100% when i get to the main menu and ramps up and down thereafter. The APU cannot possibly be hot enough to trigger the fan just by loading the main screen, so it must be the game that triggers it.  I can play other games all night and the fan barely rises above audible, so the game itself must be the reason for the fan speed. I understand the need for it, but it seems to override the temperature sensors in the console which makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, dzstrpc said:

Had this problem to on newer games (SpiderMan, RDR2) until I turned Supersampling off in video settings.

But I'm still on 1080P.

You shouldn't have to disable the benefits of the Pro to get an enjoyable experience. Surely the firmware should respond to the console's temperature and adjust the fan accordingly, rather than the game seemingly overriding it. Mine is much better in the trublesome games with HDR off, but i cannot imagine that this taxes the Pro since the base model does it also.

18 minutes ago, The_Slugkiller said:

This is what you would expect but is clearly not the case when the fan runs at maximum speed when i play Star Wars BF2. From a cold start the fan runs at 100% when i get to the main menu and ramps up and down thereafter. The APU cannot possibly be hot enough to trigger the fan just by loading the main screen, so it must be the game that triggers it.  I can play other games all night and the fan barely rises above audible, so the game itself must be the reason for the fan speed. I understand the need for it, but it seems to override the temperature sensors in the console which makes no sense.

Unfortunately when you put more performance in such a small enclosure, it will get hot pretty much immediately 

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Unfortunately when you put more performance in such a small enclosure, it will get hot pretty much immediately 

But this does not happen with other games, only some. Rise of the Tomb Raider outputs at "4K", so is certainly taxing the APU, but it never causes the fan to go into overdrive no matter how long i play. Star Wars BF2 does this without even playing a game, just by loading the title screen. The exhaust air is cool, but the fan is at full blast and the console is cool to the touch. There is no need for the fan to run at 100%, and disabling HDR certainly helps. The game is unnecessarily demanding the fan to run at maximum, when it should be regulated by the temperature inside the console.

My old OG PS4 would be obscenely loud.  Eventually I broke down and got a Slim about two years ago and it's been very good ever since.

I don't think model really matters too much, they just aren't all built equally when it comes to putting the parts together IMO.  Luck of the draw.  Opening it up and cleaning dust out and reapplying thermal paste may help... or make it worse depending on how well you really understand the PS4's heat distribution.

• 2 weeks later...

Myself and some friends experienced that the fan of normal PS4 consoles made more noise since FW 6.70 update.

After we installed FW 6.71 everything went back to normal.

My PS4 Pro which was part of the GoW bundle makes less noise then the PS4 Pro 1. Edition I had before, unrelated to the thing I believe is a firmware (FW) issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a day 1 PS4 Pro and it can get very loud. RDR2 was super loud as I was playing it in Spring & Summer in Australia. 

My brother has a newer PS4 pro that has a quieter fan and there is a big difference.

Days Gone hasn't been too bad as it's now winter and I am also wearing noise cancelling headphones. 

Hopefully only one more summer before a quieter PS5 (I hope) comes out in 2020.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:30 AM, MX-5uk said:

I own a PS4 pro Since November 2017 and I recently stripped it all down and cleaned out all of the dust and replaced thermal compound etc. However it seems to be only this game that makes the fan sound like a rocket launch,I just can't focus on the game or hear much of the dialogue because of the ridiculous noise the console is making. 

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? 

You want to talk about ridiculous noise? ?

I went and bought one of those intercooler thingies that plug into the back of the PS4 (don't judge me) and it done FA except make it sound like my PS4 was taking off done a runway.

I have a slim PS4 and a Pro. The Pro fan sometimes goes crazy, specifically when I play Black Ops 3. Sony actually just released a new version of the Pro (very quietly I might add) that majorly reduces how loud it gets. I'm not sure if it's hit stores or not, but I plan on investing in it because this fan thing is kinda ridiculous at times.

I have had a original PS4 for almost 4 years and I've never had the fan be unbearably loud; I don't every remember sound of my PS4's fans. I only have a few of the games giving people trouble and the few I do have haven't been played in years. I think my desk fan drowns out any noise my PS4, PS3, N64 and Wii U make.

I took apart my PS3 a wekk just to clean the inside for dust because it kept overheating. I heard the fan get a bit loud when I booted it up after putting it back together; I haven't noticed the PS3 being loud while playing any game. I remember hearing the disc drive during loading screens on The Last of Us but I was just happy to hear my PS3 working so hard for my amusement.

On 5/28/2019 at 7:52 AM, TJ_Solo said:

Just take out the fan. No more noise. Problem solved.

That would solve the noise problem but the console won't work too well without a fan. Apple once released a computer with no fans or vents and it only failed 100% of the time. 

• 2 years later...

This happens for me on games you wouldn't even expect to make noise. I've had problems trying to play AC Odyssey and Shadow Warrior 3. I just cannot play even with a headset on and I get headaches easily from loud noises too long so it just puts me off wanting to play anything ?

• 4 months later...