This game is just stupid

On 2/15/2021 at 6:59 PM, G4Knight said:

Reading these comments further have my mind at ease that I never invested time and effort into this reboot. Queen Lara’s character and journey wrapped during Underworld.

that's dumb bruh, a couple of dumb comments mean nothing. trilogy is still good overall

2 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Director had some weird takes on Lara's dual pistol thing + he made Battlefield Hardline = no buy from me.

bruh

2 hours ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

that's dumb bruh, a couple of dumb comments mean nothing. trilogy is still good overall

Why are you fixated on the amount of the comments rather than what they’re saying? Who cares how many you think is too much or small. It’s what they’re saying. And these trailers reinforce what I’ve already been thinking and hearing from all sorts of online corners.

4 minutes ago, G4Knight said:

Why are you fixated on the amount of the comments rather than what they’re saying? Who cares how many you think is too much or small. It’s what they’re saying. And these trailers reinforce what I’ve already been thinking and hearing from all sorts of online corners.

well actually, what they are saying is mostly wrong too. Thank you for proving my point actually

On 10/22/2019 at 7:00 AM, lloydisthebest88 said:

As a final word, I know that if you don't like a game you should just not play it. Unfortunately I started this and I'm usually a completionist, and it's super annoying to me to abandon a game that I know I could platinum ?‍♂️

So you can't stop playing it... that's called addiction.  Maybe unplug your console for a month and put it in the closet.  The Skinner Box of PlayStation Trophies has an unhealthy hold on you.  

• Like 1

There were MANY times I wanted to start up this game and I'm glad I didn't. I wasn't a fan of Rise of the Tomb Raider after beating the story. Right now I completely forgot what the story was even about it. That's how forgettable it was for me. I feel like they should've stopped on the reboot game and kept it as is. That was a really amazing game but I felt they got ahead of themselves and tried to steer a different path and as a Tomb Raider fan I did not like it at all. I can vouch for other fans aswell. If you have still own a PS3 go buy the Tomb Raider Trilogy collection. Trust me on this, it's like Uncharted but your a bad ass woman instead ?

17 minutes ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

better and not just boobs? yes. sounds like you are actually 12 if you just want boobs

Okay, you are just a child. Lara’s change in personality, character, comedic timing, laughter at the face of danger, never needing to lean on others. Nope. None of that is important. Don’t respond to me again.

I vaguely remember there being some mode where a death = restart a camp. I never got killed by an enemy, all my deaths were infuriatingly from Lara just refusing to grab the handhold in front of her and sliding her face down a cliff. 

My housemates at the time heard a lot of 'WHY WILL YOU NOT JUST CLIMB?!'

Also I never like when people say 'Just stop playing the game then' motherfucker I'm already X hours deep. I'm not quitting or that time is wasted.

23 hours ago, G4Knight said:

Okay, you are just a child. Lara’s change in personality, character, comedic timing, laughter at the face of danger, never needing to lean on others. Nope. None of that is important. Don’t respond to me again.

So she is an actual person now? Okay. sorry facts arent your thing

Edited by NOWITSREYNTIME17
  • Like 1

I really wanted to like Shadow, but I don't have especially fond memories of this game. In retrospect, it just seems completely redundant. The gritty jungle setting was decent, and I appreciated the inclusion of supernatural elements (as opposed to Rise's creatively bankrupt army of faceless mercenaries), but was it actually fun? Not really, and I never even went for the platinum.

The Tomb Raider reboot trilogy is what happens when you dilute your brand until nothing's left but mainstream gaming tropes. That in itself isn't always a bad thing, but the problem here is that the games have absolutely no soul. They're just products, and it shows.

I despise this game.

figured since the game was free and I liked the previous two, might as well get the platinum.

I spent 5 bucks on the dlc and the complete edition is not even worth that amount, that's how much I hate it.

The story and characters are pathetically boring so at some point I just decided I didn't care, I'll skip the cutscenes and get the platinum out of the way. Well, little did I know this title was made by some self-entitled Canadians who think a bunch their cutscenes are so emotionally salient you are simply not allowed to skip them. These are the type of people who are enamoured with Naughty Dog games, they think the golden standard for videogames are movie-games that constantly hold your hand, have unskippable cutscenes (and I'm counting the many parts where they slow down your walking, take away control to show you some vista and imbecilic, vacuous set pieces where you escape from someone or there is an stupid avalanche, etc) - oh, and there's also Assassin's Creed garbage collecting.

Pretty much every tomb and puzzle in the game, maybe excluding stuff from the dlc, are disgustingly simple. For the combat they just constrain you into small areas with very limited options and very limited (braindead) enemies who can't and won't exist outside their little perimeters of action. The stealth is pitiful, melee action is rudimentary and culminates on quicktime events because of course... 

The open areas, if you can call them like that feel artificial, staged, every element is placed for the main character to interact in a single way, without any room for experimentation, the populated towns are soulless. Exploration doesn't feel rewarding, resources are plentiful even the hardest difficulty, making every fight and pretension for survival gameplay a joke. 

You get a bunch of outfits that you wont be able to use for a big chunk of the game, there is a stupid story excuse for this but I'm guessing the developers just wanted to punish us even more by denying one of the most attractive woman protagonist in games to look hot. The bow is OK, but all firearms feel like trash, any shotgun is fine for whatever purpose, like I said, plenty of resources if you want to heal, or slow down time, etc... and there is ammo conveniently placed exactly where you need it (even if it's a secret tomb that hasn't been explored for hundreds of years).

It killed Tomb Raider for me, had to force myself to complete the one objective I had, which was to get the platinum and even when it didn't take that long and it wasn't hard at all, the experience was exhausting and infuriatingly boring at times. Let this be a warning for the type of game this is, even if you enjoyed the previous entries like i did. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Having played tomb raider for most my childhood, I finally jumped into the reboots with Rise and was hooked, I loved everything about it apart from the time trials (stuck at 98% no plat) and had no complaints. 

Immediately started Shadow and gave up within a few hours. Have picked it up here and there but honestly it’s lacking something! Doesn’t help the story went from 0-100 instantly with a pretty basic already done story arc. Luckily it’s one of the easiest ones but it’ll be a drag to 100% 

• 3 weeks later...

Currently one trophy away from the plat (the Deadly Obsession one). I only played it because it was for free, and I've heard it was an improvement over Rise. I mean, it was, but that doesn't mean much.

Combat is terrible. The gunplay doesn't feel good, melee is objectively bad and stealth is clunky. The whole skill tree is a joke; it gives you a bunch of crap you don't even need. And it makes no difference anyway, because the combat/exploration/puzzle ratio is so unbalanced that you barely have any chances to use new equipment/abilities. 

The platforming is inconsistent as all hell. And by inconsistent I mean: BUGGY. Sometimes Lara refuses to grab the ledge or attach that stupid grappling hook to surfaces, even though you're on the right spot and pressing the right button. It's also ridiculous how scripted most sections are; you can't climb a small hut (because the devs didn't program the ledges on it) but you can jump through an impossible gap (and Lara literally 'floats's th towards the other edge). 

I skipped all cutscenes I could because I couldn't stand the plot/dialogue/acting from the get go, so I only know fragments of what the story is about. To be honest, I don't think I'm missing much and I don't care. I laughed out loud at certain "dramatic" moments I couldn't skip (Jonah being kicked out of a helicopter like a puppet, "it's Dominguez, it's Trinity, it has always been them", the flashback with Kid Lara). On top of that, all the Wanna-Be-Uncharted set pieces are poorly executed and repetitive. 

On the bright side, I do think the puzzles and overall atmosphere were a lot better than TR2013 and Rise. Some aspects of the exploration are also nice. Kuwak Yaku, Paititi and San Juan as "social hubs" were dumb, but if you ignore the sidequests, they're fun places to run around and explore just for the sake of it. More of that, please. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I agree with your rage, ma friend. Planned to do this plat on my vacation and totally ruined my funtime. Abnormal platforming sections and the stupid deadly obsession trophy with countless replays was a dope. I suggest to anyone who wants to 100% this game to save some good time and patience to do. Best of luck

I thought it was incredibly stupid that you get all these skill points and buy/upgrade weapons and it means next to nothing because there is so little combat. The game just felt off and like it was missing something that made the other 2 games great. Lara was also less likeable in this one.

Edited by Sn1per666999

• 1 month later...

i thought the whole reboot trilogy was a mess to be honest, fans of the original and the first reboot Tomb Raider weren't even thought of when these games were being made, because Uncharted was really successful and made Naughty Dog a lot of money, they tried to copy that. Lara in this reboot is just such a whiney spoilt rich girl.

They did such a good job with the first reboot because they made Lara more humanised with flaws and meaning with her journey with her finding out what happened to her mother an then trying to find her mother, the story was great while feeling like a Tomb Raider game! This reboot however didn't, it was just about her basically walking in her fathers shoes and then finding how how he died but the rest of the plot was a mess that I didn't feel invested at all.

i agree with the OP, I thought the game was quite shit to play anyway but then they made it shiiter with the hardest difficulty maling it cheap nonsense where Lara would fail to do what you're telling her to do ???

Edited by ZachBoardyHD
  • Like 1

I liked Underworld, Legend and Anniversary and I definitely appreciated the fact that there was none of that challenge and multiplayer nonsense. This is just my personal opinion but the moment they went and added all that online multiplayer garbage they completely ruined the franchise. To me, games like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc., have no business mingling with the online aspects of gaming. Keep that online stuff for all those war games like Call of Duty.

I managed to get through the unbearable grind and online crap in Tomb Raider for the PS3 and that's hugely due to the fact that I didn't have to freak'n PAY to play online (which, in my opinion, should be free) and because there were some awesome exploits to unlock some of the other, more annoying miscellaneous online trophies. I'll never put myself through it again for the PS4 version though nor will I ever touch Shadow and Rise of the Tomb Raider because I'm not a fan of "challenge scenarios" and I absolutely HATE online trophies with the burning passion of a million blazing suns. 

"You can just play them for fun, Taco". Sure... if my brain was wired that way. But it's not. I'm a trophy hunter so if I were to play these games I'd have to get that Platinum or it would drive me nuts knowing it's sitting there incomplete on my list while all the other Tomb Raider games I've played have a shiny Platinum icon sitting next to them. There are some that understand this mindset and there are some that don't. It's hard to explain and to be honest I don't even know HOW to explain it. But that's just how I am.

• Like 2

I platinum'd the game last month but only got my hands on the DLC this week, and I have to say they're far superior than the main game.

I'm first working on them via "Challenge Tombs" menu, and getting rid of the score/time attack modes before actually doing the missions, so I have no opinion on the storytelling so far. But the environments, transversal and puzzles are so much fun! I don't know why they couldn't add this content to the main game. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my two cents to the discussion for this game. I recently beat it and I liked it more than I thought I would. I really couldn't stand the second game, I don't remember a god damn thing about it other than you were in the snow. Having said that I thought this game was much better than the second one, I liked how most of the game was exploration and the story was alright, nothing to write home about. I'm glad the combat encounters were kind of sparse compared to the other two games, (from what I remember) because the combat in this series is easily the one of the weakest parts of the game for me. All in all I enjoyed my time with the game but it's not a platinum worth pursuing for me. 

• Like 2