Do I need to play Watch Dogs 1 first?

OverHypedG

i have a question as well, the standard bundle is $18 which isn't that bad. i liked the first one on ps3 and the ps4 version has its own trophy list.

the gold edition bundle is pricier at $27. is the DLC any good? i can take the blow of not getting the DLC trophies by just getting the standard editions. if the gold versions are recommended more, then i'll just wait it out. 

36 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

i have a question as well, the standard bundle is $18 which isn't that bad. i liked the first one on ps3 and the ps4 version has its own trophy list.

the gold edition bundle is pricier at $27. is the DLC any good? i can take the blow of not getting the DLC trophies by just getting the standard editions. if the gold versions are recommended more, then i'll just wait it out. 

Yes the dlc is worth $9 on my opinion. It’s just more missions to complete and new activities etc. But the game is very good so it’s value for money to get the dlc

Yes and no, WD2 shows a different story, with different characters but after the events of WD1.

• There're a few characters (some of which you'll see quite a lot) that were part of the first game.
  • As mentioned, there are also some references in a form of Side Missions and dialogues (possibly others).
40 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

IMO, DLC wasn't anything special and at very best on par with main game's missions (which were still pretty interesting). I'm sure that standard edition will give you more than enough things to do :) As far as I've seen it rarely goes on sale on it's own (if ever), so perhaps picking up a gold edition is a better option overall.

1 hour ago, neospoon said:

I'll probably be the one with the unpopular opinion. I liked the first one a lot more than the 2nd game. The story was more personal the overal feeling was more gritty, and the city was not bright and colorful like a playground. I feel Watch_Dogs 2 was just trying to be too I guess hipster. Which I didn't really like. The driving in the 2nd game was definitely an improvement and overall game was fun, but I just enjoyed the story of the first one a lot more. 

I am with this guy, I have not long finished the first one and the story is superb in that and definitely worth playing. Not done the 2nd yet but I will be in the New Year,

Don't really need to, but as others have said, you'll miss some references to things from the first game. 

4 hours ago, neospoon said:

I'll probably be the one with the unpopular opinion. I liked the first one a lot more than the 2nd game. The story was more personal the overal feeling was more gritty, and the city was not bright and colorful like a playground. I feel Watch_Dogs 2 was just trying to be too I guess hipster. Which I didn't really like. The driving in the 2nd game was definitely an improvement and overall game was fun, but I just enjoyed the story of the first one a lot more. 

2 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

I am with this guy, I have not long finished the first one and the story is superb in that and definitely worth playing. Not done the 2nd yet but I will be in the New Year,

^And I'm with these guys. :P Neospoon pretty much nailed why I preferred the first game. Not even sure I'll buy the DLC for the second. The price would have to be very good, and $16 ain't it. :/

Edited by DamagingRob
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

Don't really need to, but as others have said, you'll miss some references to things from the first game. 

^And I'm with these guys. :P Neospoon pretty much nailed why I preferred the first game. Not even sure I'll buy the DLC for the second. The price would have to be very good, and $16 ain't it. :/

How much?! WTF!! Not sure how they get away with this now. I deliberately picked it up for about £5 and now it will cost me 3 times that to get 100%. Crazy!

1 minute ago, freddie1989 said:

How much?! WTF!! Not sure how they get away with this now. I deliberately picked it up for about £5 and now it will cost me 3 times that to get 100%. Crazy!

Haha, yeah, and that's on sale. Normally, it'd cost $25 to buy just the DLC packs containing trophies. :/ 

3 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Can't imagine a world where anyone needs to play the first Watch Dogs... (eyes own copies of the game on PS3 and PS4)

Enjoyed the story (kinda) in the first one, but it had some of the most mind-numbing repetitive side content i've ever played in a game. Play it at your own risk.

Btw, RIP Mr. Lee.

Edited by ManifestDestinee

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend you play the the original Watch Dogs first to get more invested in its narrative. The story is darker than the sequel, but, like any other open-world games, it can get a bit repetitive. Nonetheless, the puzzles in the sequel are much better, giving you many options to solve them.